Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
SiivaGunner with the best April Fool's gag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c?SiIvaGunner?videos

Edit: For context, Nintendo discontinued Super Mario 3D Allstars to the chagrin of many.

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Dawgstar posted:

I like people being able to just recognize the YouTube link.

I'd love to see some stats for that video. What percentage of its views come on April 1 every year? How many people actually search for it and then link it elsewhere? How many click the link and close the tab before it starts playing?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dongicus posted:

people who write things off for being 'edgy' or 'edgelordy' without any other substantial criticisms to back it up generally arent worth listening to.

ehh. sometime sure. but some stuff is just stupidly edgy and such. poo poo like hatred and agony and few others.

very interesting way to do an apology. must watch.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

All the weirdness of Mother Energy Drink all of a sudden makes sense once you realize that it's just made by Monster. It's Australian Monster. The busy can design, awful font, unhinged rambling copy on the back of the can, weird tough guy fixation: that's all Monster bay bee.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Grunch Worldflower posted:

All the weirdness of Mother Energy Drink all of a sudden makes sense once you realize that it's just made by Monster. It's Australian Monster. The busy can design, awful font, unhinged rambling copy on the back of the can, weird tough guy fixation: that's all Monster bay bee.

I thought at first it was some kind of weird Danzig thing, like when Steven Seagal got his own energy drink.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh Oh 8K

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

This rules

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lmao

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I've got my own bones with Izzy's way of approaching things but I feel bad about her making a video about an incident where she stresses, over and over again, that the chances it actually happened for that reason were small and nearly every comment is sorta proving her point.

Kim Justice posted:

Hey, thanks for the awareness! This was so much fun to watch live, even if a bunch of games don't work. Lots of good ones too! Alongside some thoroughly awful ones. Always great to see the Speccy get love, and Danny and Alex are thoroughly cool peeps.

I think what made me think about posting this particular bit was watching your long video about Manic Miner's history and how influential it was and immediately get a twitch notification that evening about an event where some streamers I follow that are the kind of people to do constant varied videogame challenges just poo poo all over that particular title. It was the UK videogame history equivalent of the Patton Oswalt's Jerry McGuire bit.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 1, 2021

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8ZUR2De15s

The Lost media of Girl Games

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Srice posted:

In my own experience when people write off something as "edgelordy" without saying anything of substance, what they actually mean is "it owns".

this

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ehh. sometime sure. but some stuff is just stupidly edgy and such. poo poo like hatred and agony and few others.

isn't hatred like a parody of itself? no way it takes itself seriously

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It very well might be a parody but has the problem generally of not having enough joke for its premise. Hatred's trailer by itself without a game is a piece of comic genius. Hatred with a full game is painfully tedious edgelord poo poo.

Though I would not ignore the possibility that it was created by unfunny nerds running their one joke into the ground beyond recognition.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've never played Hatred but I've seen the ending and it is proof that games are art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PunbEq7koEk

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
For April Fool's Day, Super Smash Bros video maker MockRock released...a 100% sincere four-and-a-half hour long video essay on Breath of the Wild.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Reminder that Hatred is made by dudes that love polish hate groups and all that far-right trash over there, their game sucks rear end, they're lovely people.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Yardbomb posted:

Reminder that Hatred is made by dudes that love polish hate groups and all that far-right trash over there, their game sucks rear end, they're lovely people.

This. I'm still in disbelief that this was a game made in 100% earnest. For the longest time I thought this was a satire/parody.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Wasn't one of the levels explicitly based on a real life mass-shooting? Tounge in cheek or not its a hateful pile of poo poo lol.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hatred is very sincerely trying to be shocking and it's failing miserably. it's a very boring and lovely game

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

This. I'm still in disbelief that this was a game made in 100% earnest. For the longest time I thought this was a satire/parody.

Yeah like people have to remember, Hatred's writing feels comically over the top and it's plenty possible to laugh at it, but you can read some real life spree shooter manifestos and some of them are worded in similarly clownish edgy ways that you'd think is just someone being angsty and gross, but then they went and gunned down some people before blowing their own head off.

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe
I remember before that came out, there was a site where you could play the audio from one youtube video over the video of another and I lined up Butters' Professor Chaos monologue with the trailer. It worked a little too well.

That site was probably shut down by youtube though.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tubedubber is 100% still up and functional.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Speaking of games and April Fool's, Civvie uploaded a review and playthrough of a fake Hellraiser NES game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfoNSN7ACtc

I admire the effort put into this. It does feel like a real bad videogame tie-in except for the invincible Mario fight .

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpuHDV6SojU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

SiivaGunner with the best April Fool's gag

I'm not sure whether my favorite is this one for the complexity or this one for the simplicity.

:sbahj:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Clayton from Polygon on the secret politics of Sim City
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_51_YJQpeg0
That Will Wright got all he based off of Sim City by a book by a guy that was a weird libertarian/not an urban planner

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

Clayton from Polygon on the secret politics of Sim City
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_51_YJQpeg0
That Will Wright got all he based off of Sim City by a book by a guy that was a weird libertarian/not an urban planner

There's a reason Herman Cain, god rest his COVID-ravaged soul, was laughed out of contention in the 2012 US Presidential race. ...Well, I mean besides him quoting the ending theme from the first Pokemon movie in his stump speeches. ...And besides the fact that like at least 3 women who weren't his wife came forward and said he liked to have sex with them. A lot.

No, it was because he based his tax plan around the same libertarian economic theory that Wil Wright based SimCity's economy off of, and because lol consumer political media, no one stopped to examine how hosed up the economic theory was, they just laughed Herman Cain into oblivion because his tax plan was lifted from a video game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

loving April Fool's joke with 5 years of set up, Goddamn

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Dongicus posted:

Even if Hatred was a parody, it would have been the kind of satire like Dragon Age where your companion looks right at the camera and says "ugh, everybody hates these quests" right after you had to kill a bunch of rats.

AKA: Not actually satire.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

BigRed0427 posted:

Ah ok.

I'll be honest, I ask because I had an idea for awhile to record myself in my Witch Ren faire costume reciting fairy tales and such for youtube.

I took a shot at recording but hit a snag. Turns out the default camera app on my phone only records in 10 minuet increments.

Filmic Pro is less than 20 bucks and great for phone video recording if you can get it for your phone. As long as you can get okay audio you're golden.

I should really get around to recording the books I was planning to record - people tell me all the time I have the face for radio...

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

As a 13 or 14 year old playing SimCity 2000 I discovered that I could raise all the money I needed by lowering taxes to 1 or 2% to grow population, then crank the tax rate up to the maximum 20% for a few years, then drop it back down and repeat whenever I needed cash.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

nine-gear crow posted:

There's a reason Herman Cain, god rest his COVID-ravaged soul, was laughed out of contention in the 2012 US Presidential race. ...Well, I mean besides him quoting the ending theme from the first Pokemon movie in his stump speeches. ...And besides the fact that like at least 3 women who weren't his wife came forward and said he liked to have sex with them. A lot.

No, it was because he based his tax plan around the same libertarian economic theory that Wil Wright based SimCity's economy off of, and because lol consumer political media, no one stopped to examine how hosed up the economic theory was, they just laughed Herman Cain into oblivion because his tax plan was lifted from a video game.

I mean, a lot of people did point out how his incredibly simplistic '9-9-9' plan was stupid but it was pretty fast because like all libertarian tax plans its stupidity was pretty face value, once you get past that there's not much more beyond 'wait did this motherfucker lift this from SimCity???'

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Speaking of games and April Fool's, Civvie uploaded a review and playthrough of a fake Hellraiser NES game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfoNSN7ACtc

I admire the effort put into this. It does feel like a real bad videogame tie-in except for the invincible Mario fight .

It's not only a fake game, it's one with one hell of a story. A chunk of what he said on that review is real: Color dreams did try such a thing, the sprites do resemble a bit what was in the works for a while, according to this old site.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Dongicus posted:

this

having only seen this part i think its on the exact same intellectual level as one of thsoe newgrounds cartoons from 2001 where a stick figure does epic matrix moves

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 2, 2021

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

having only seen this part i think its on the exact same intellectual level as one of thsoe newgrounds cartoons from 2001 where a stick figure does epic matrix moves

Disrespecting the Xiao Xiao series is not allowed in this house.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Disco Duck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzw6WpwYSv8

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

They literally did a sale to celebrate Hitler's birthday one year and their second game is full of white supremacist references.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Kunster posted:

It's not only a fake game, it's one with one hell of a story. A chunk of what he said on that review is real: Color dreams did try such a thing, the sprites do resemble a bit what was in the works for a while, according to this old site.

I thought the part in the "review" about the beefed-up custom cartridge was completely made up but no, they actually tried to make one. Not only make one, they actually loving pulled it off. The third-party unlicensed Nintendo dev that switched to making cheapo bible-themed Doom clones were actually unsung pioneers all along.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

They literally did a sale to celebrate Hitler's birthday one year

lol, the ability of shitheads to cheerlead the guy who wanted you and yours ethnically cleansed.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I celebrate on hitler’s birthday, but not the birthday itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

i love to kiss hitler on the lips