Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

yeah there's a little bit too much of the "enemy shoots tears that splits into tears and when they die they explode into tears revealing three more mobs that shoot three-way tears who die and then split into three more mobs who don't shoot tears but move fast and when THEY die they explode into a huge shower of homing tears, now clear a room of 5 of them"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Chin Strap posted:

Anyone know how to get the item in the trapdoor room that is completely enclosed by walls? Bombs didn't do it neither did flying.

Rooms like this

maybe if you had the pickaxe? idk

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah I value slow effects like spider bite and stuff very very highly now lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

False PHD is a hilarious item lol

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Augus posted:

It's actually better than regular PHD I think. Just being able to turn stuff like Paralysis and Amnesia pills among others into demon hearts is super good.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Augus posted:

I'm glad that a lot of item descriptions became clearer but on the other hand, that was a fun one to figure out why it was good by myself. Cool flavor, unique function, potentially high power level. Definitely one of my favorite new items so far

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

TheJadedOne posted:

Ed sure does love mobs that puke other mobs or explode into random raining tears. Feels like most of the new mobs are some combination of those two. and pills are still awful.

what about mobs that rush you down constantly.

anyway just lost my first jacob and esau run at womb 2 cause of the stupid fuckin rocket bombs upgrade

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

jacob and esau def harder than bethany

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Proptosis, what have they done to you? :( I'm never picking you up again unless you start doing above starting damage more than one Isaac away.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Isaac's Heart is slightly better now. It has a charge circle, and when it's full and you fire it shoots a circle of tears like Tammy's Head and disappears for a second. It was still a game killer for me, but not as bad as before.

Cursed Eye is just good now. Can't complain about that at all.

Dad's Lost Coin is still crap. I think it may have had a very small damage up, but I can't be sure. I remember being very unimpressed.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man, I love almost all of these new bosses. Their designs and patterns are so loving cool. Dogma has got to be my favorite, both in terms of how cool it is, and the symbolism behind it. I mean, it's not exactly subtle, but it hits, man. It hits.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
second attempt at jacob. made it to the chest, but theres layouts and boss combinations that seem impossible to escape unscathed. i feel a bit robbed.

have to say, after no longer playing lazarus trying to unlock bethany by not using an extra life, and putting aside the monstrously horrible items i got with him and isaac on my first few runs, hard mode doesnt seem that bad.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Haven't played enough to be sure, but did they introduce any new strong items? Because the old ones look like they've been nerfed into the loving ground. Pretty baffling.

Loving most of the new mobs/bosses/floors though!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I can't wait for some Uber dork fan to release mods to make all the unnecessarily nerfed items cool again :shobon:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Kawabata posted:

Haven't played enough to be sure, but did they introduce any new strong items? Because the old ones look like they've been nerfed into the loving ground. Pretty baffling.

Loving most of the new mobs/bosses/floors though!

Psy Fly is straight up one of the most useful defensive items I've seen in Isaac. It deletes enemy projectiles that fly near your character and it seems to be decently common, as I've seen it in most runs I've done. It's so good that I kinda fear Edmund is gonna slam the nerf button down on it because it actually gives you an opportunity to breathe during Hush.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
i got bot fly, which did the whole taking down projectiles near you thing

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Tweet from Edmund says shops are their #1 priority to readjust. That is a big relief! Really, even if they just had them all have one spirit heart it would be a huge change and make things way more fun.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
i didnt find that tweet. he just says some adjustments will be coming, but didnt specify.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofisaac/comments/mif8lr/for_everyone_talking_about_shops_being_trash/

It was a reply to someone else.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

goferchan posted:

I'm glad that a lot of item descriptions became clearer but on the other hand, that was a fun one to figure out why it was good by myself. Cool flavor, unique function, potentially high power level. Definitely one of my favorite new items so far

Coolest item I figured out on my own was the R button which in hindsight is REALLY obvious in hindsight

I got it as my starting item on an Eve run and for some reason my brain glitches out and I tried using it with Q a couple times before deciding it must be contextual. A few floors later I came across another activated item and went, ‘alright last shot let’s see if this does anything’ and ZWOOP

It took a few seconds for my mind to process what had happened lol

That item is insanely OP

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Somewhat surreal that the weakest link thus far, aside from some over tuning on Difficulty* until mods sort it anew, seems to be the new music that is I suppose in keeping with the general, semi-ambient direction to date---but drat if the contrast isn't extra sharp in terms of lack of killer tunes stood alongside Mudeth's initial work which was able to stand square with Danny B's iconic original doings.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah I need the Antibirth ost as soon as possible

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
So far every new boss I've encountered has impressed me. When I realized what was happening with Rotgut I was grinning ear to ear.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Coolest item I figured out on my own was the R button which in hindsight is REALLY obvious in hindsight

I got it as my starting item on an Eve run and for some reason my brain glitches out and I tried using it with Q a couple times before deciding it must be contextual. A few floors later I came across another activated item and went, ‘alright last shot let’s see if this does anything’ and ZWOOP

It took a few seconds for my mind to process what had happened lol

That item is insanely OP

That item got me my Jacob unlock. I got the Knife but accidentally auto-piloted into a trapdoor instead, but luckily found it on the next floor and was very happy to find it did exactly what I hoped it would do.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

As much fun as I'm having with all the new stuff, bosses and guys, I can't help but feel that devil deals are completely rubbish. A lot of items are way too expensive, the money stuff just bloats the already bad item pool and you can't spend extra lives to buy items for less than the actual heart price anymore.
Two red hearts for a heavily nerfed Maw of the Void or Dead Cat is nonsense, when you can skip the devil deal and go for angel rooms instead for a bunch of really good defensive and offensive items.

On most runs I'm actively bombing angel statues for key pieces, just to keep the devil room chance low.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Psychedelicatessen posted:

As much fun as I'm having with all the new stuff, bosses and guys, I can't help but feel that devil deals are completely rubbish. A lot of items are way too expensive, the money stuff just bloats the already bad item pool and you can't spend extra lives to buy items for less than the actual heart price anymore.
Two red hearts for a heavily nerfed Maw of the Void or Dead Cat is nonsense, when you can skip the devil deal and go for angel rooms instead for a bunch of really good defensive and offensive items.

On most runs I'm actively bombing angel statues for key pieces, just to keep the devil room chance low.

Yeah the more I play the more I feel like a bunch of stuff (is shops, devil deals) was way over-nerfed. Occasionally breaking a run has always been one of the most entertaining aspects of the game, now I don't see that happening nearly as often, if ever.

Also what exactly is the risk/reward for choosing the more difficult path after a boss? As cool as some of the new levels are, they only feel way more difficult than the old ones without giving anything in return.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Difficulty (/novelty) is it's own reward. And the new boss I guess, and I assume some unlocks. Haven't gotten deep enough into it myself.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Kawabata posted:

Also what exactly is the risk/reward for choosing the more difficult path after a boss? As cool as some of the new levels are, they only feel way more difficult than the old ones without giving anything in return.

You get the double item room with the blind item on the right. Also on downpour 2 you get the chance at an extra boss item. Those floors mainly are for completing the alternate path. Id like to see more risk/ reward mechanics on mines and maus too.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Kawabata posted:

Alt floors after basement, caves and depths: There's always two items in the item rooms. On Downpour/dross II, you can redo the entire floor as the Lost for extra pickups and an boss room item. You can get the Knife and then bring it back to the normal floors, if you want a really strong familiar and don't care about the post-Mausoleum floors.

The strange door: If you missed any item rooms on the way to the Note, you get a second chance to unlock them when you're doing the flashback.

And unlocks, of course.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

has the changes to keeper made him not anti-fun anymore?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Man destructible orbitals suck to play with. I'm honestly in disbelief at how much effort into such a fundamentally awful mechanic.

Kawalimus posted:

You get the double item room with the blind item on the right. Also on downpour 2 you get the chance at an extra boss item. Those floors mainly are for completing the alternate path. Id like to see more risk/ reward mechanics on mines and maus too.
Having them as alternate floors doesn't make much sense to me. Like if you go through Downpour, Mines or Mausoleum then you've done a bunch of stuff that's harder than anything in the base game and you're more powerful than usual. Does it really make sense to go back to the regular floors at that point, which are easier and also you're stronger than you would be normally? The difficulty curve only makes sense if you stick to the alternate path the whole way.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Having a great time with repentance so far. Took me forever to unlock Bethany. My muscle memory failed me constantly with the enemy tear speed changes in hard mode. Haven't seen any of the alt floors yet since the save I'm playing on is fairly new. But all the items and upgrades have been super fun to figure out.

Also I feel like Ultra Greed might be a bit easier now? Always struggled and never actually beat him prior to repentance, but took him down first try with Bethany and then again with Azazel. I never end up with enough coins to make it worth the extra challenge though...

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

watho posted:

has the changes to keeper made him not anti-fun anymore?

Definitely better at least

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Man destructible orbitals suck to play with. I'm honestly in disbelief at how much effort into such a fundamentally awful mechanic.

Strong disagree with this at least if you're talking about Bethany, she's really fun. It's not like it's hard to replace the orbitals, and there's a fun element of strategy in choosing when to use your stored spirit hearts.
Had a great run with her with Dead Sea Scrolls, and also managed to crash the game by using Box of Friends multiple times in one room

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 2, 2021

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Trisagion + Fire Mind + My Reflection = :pcgaming:

There's dozens of them being fired every second and it owns.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Bethany + Prayer Card was super good each wisp gets sacred heart shots

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Lilith-B's umbilical cord baby is really, really strong if you're good at buttonmashing. Did boss rush, hush, satan and the lamb in one run and my thumb feels like it's burning

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Favorite Bethany active so far was Coupon. The orbitals shot triple tears, like keeper. Plus Coupon is a powerful item in general, since it has a tendency to power itself up as you get more shop items, such as car battery and BFF. I heard it works on devil deals too, but I ended up with mostly angel rooms that run.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
It seems to me like they were going for a kind of "middling" of items, nerfing some of the strong stuff but buffing a lot of the previously useless trash to be actually decent. Plus, the additional hard-coded synergies make knowledge checks that much more important. BFF Holy Water is legitimately a significant upgrade to your run.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Spergatory posted:

It seems to me like they were going for a kind of "middling" of items, nerfing some of the strong stuff but buffing a lot of the previously useless trash to be actually decent. Plus, the additional hard-coded synergies make knowledge checks that much more important. BFF Holy Water is legitimately a significant upgrade to your run.
I'm also wondering how much of this is because people don't have the new items unlocked yet either. So far all of the stuff I've seen and unlocked from the new characters / bosses are really, really good so adding those items to the pools would help increase the overall item quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'm wondering, what's a generally good build to go for Hush/Delirium as the Lost? I managed to beat Mega Satan through a ridiculously broken build (Ipecac+Epic Fetus+Libra+Mr Me!+Rotten Baby + Host Hat + Restock+...) where I litreally teared through a health bar every shot, but I wisely didn't go to Hush because the armor would have hosed me over. This is in AB+ btw.