Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Elviscat posted:

VA is the worst 1/3.

You want to go 5mph over the speed limit on this endless flat stretch of highway?

That's a ticket!

I got caught in a convoy of 20+ cars going down 13 at 65 in a 55, VA State Troopers blocked the entire highway ago they could ticket each and every one of us for this egregious crime.

E: and what the gently caress is a "bridge tunnel" loving pick one.

E2: at least VA has cheap smokes, I guess?

In Montana if you somehow got pulled over for speeding it used to be a $15 ticket whatever speed you were going and you could just hand it over to the cop. #1 reason you get pulled over in Montana is because the cop hadn't talked to anyone in 5 or 6 hours and they felt lonely.

There's stretches of road so long they have a curve to the right just to account for the curvature of the earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
delaware has the smoothest business incorporation courts in the nation, maybe the world. most of the fortune 500 is delaware c corps, despite everything that matters being in other states

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Twitch posted:

While it's never explicitly stated in the book or the movie, the setting of Fight Club is inspired by Delaware.

Gonna have to call bullshit here. Nothing, nobody, nowhere was ever inspired by Delaware.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Inspector 34 posted:

Gonna have to call bullshit here. Nothing, nobody, nowhere was ever inspired by Delaware.

Everything I've ever heard about Deleware has inspired me to never visit.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
There was that Friends episode where Chandler (the funny one) asks the rest if they can straight-up name all 50 states. Ross, the one with the most academic achievement in the group, spends the episode getting to 49 and forgetting one. By the end he realizes it's Delaware.

When I watched Friends I hadn't yet learned that much English, so outside of New York, the name Delaware sticks in my head.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Elviscat posted:

VA is the worst 1/3.

You want to go 5mph over the speed limit on this endless flat stretch of highway?

That's a ticket!

I got caught in a convoy of 20+ cars going down 13 at 65 in a 55, VA State Troopers blocked the entire highway ago they could ticket each and every one of us for this egregious crime.

E: and what the gently caress is a "bridge tunnel" loving pick one.

E2: at least VA has cheap smokes, I guess?

Strong talk for a state I once drove through in less than 20 minutes.

(yes, through the northern end and into New Jersey so it wasn't exactly a win)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

toanoradian posted:

Also do each state has a stereotype of for the other 49 or are there some states nobody cares about?
Nobody gives a poo poo about Montana but otherwise yeah every state has a reputation at least

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

And that reputation is meth more often than not

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

And that reputation is meth more often than not
lmao i forgot about that, apparently Montana cares quite deeply about the local meth industry

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

toanoradian posted:

What are the most popular Joe Biden paraphernalia

The band Fall Out Boy, who ultimately owe their existence to Joe Biden's 1972 senatorial campaign.

I'm not joking.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Then there's the paradox of California because it's far to the south but it isn't The South.

Parts of California are further north than parts of Canada.

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

Inceltown posted:

Everything I've ever heard about Deleware has inspired me to never visit.

Occasionally, I am called to (drive to) Delaware for corporate training, certification classes, or the like. They describe the state as "we have everything, just none of it is very good".

My hot take: it seems rather flat.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Parts of California are further north than parts of Canada.
what the gently caress

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
well, "parts" is doing a lot of work there

My favourite one is how Maine is the closest US state to Africa

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FFT posted:

what the gently caress

It’s a very small overlap. Less than eighty square kilometres of dry, Canadian land is south of California’s northern border.

On the California side, because the overlap spans the whole width of the state, the are something like twelve thousand square kilometres of land north of Canada’s (uninhabited) Middle Island, including the westernmost city in the contiguous United States, Crescent City.

more here

This is all taking place at the same latitude as Rome—the Eternal City, not one of the thirteen U.S. cities of that name.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 10:43 on Apr 2, 2021

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
that image is also a good illustration that if you want to cross into Windsor from Detroit you drive south

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
But as Journey famously found out, “Windsor” doesn’t rhyme with “boy”.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Delaware is also home to DC's Metropolis, which is across from New Jersey's Gotham.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Delaware has not yet, despite claiming to be a modern state, has no commercial airports, possibly because they can't figure out how to build tollbooths that tall

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Delawhat??

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

projecthalaxy posted:

Delaware has not yet, despite claiming to be a modern state, has no commercial airports, possibly because they can't figure out how to build tollbooths that tall

wasn't that just floated by some cro-magnon chuds as a reason not to grant DC statehood? lack of airports? hell at least DC has dulles

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

wasn't that just floated by some cro-magnon chuds as a reason not to grant DC statehood? lack of airports? hell at least DC has dulles

aside from this being a ridiculous and dishonest argument if it were actually made, you could ride a bicycle to National Airport pretty easily from anywhere in D.C.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Ambitious Spider posted:

Delaware is also home to DC's Metropolis, which is across from New Jersey's Gotham.

From what I know of New Jersey, a city full of maniacal villains would fit being in New Jersey. Is that accurate?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

toanoradian posted:

From what I know of New Jersey, a city full of maniacal villains would fit being in New Jersey. Is that accurate?

the whole eastern seaboard is full of maniacal villains

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Riven posted:

Fun fact, Wyoming has two escalators.

Ya gotta have two or else you can't get down again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This thread might qualify for a third entry on ‘Mentions in Popular Culture’ for Delaware after Friends and Wayne’s World.

There will be debate about just how popular our culture is.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/profmusgrave/status/1377990440985583619

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Memento posted:

well, "parts" is doing a lot of work there

My favourite one is how Maine is the closest US state to Africa

Man, globe earth is crazy as hell.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Elviscat posted:

globehead logic :eyeroll:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Elviscat posted:

It's mostly just projection

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1378005545718800388

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
lmao look how big America is, pretending its one country. Basically cheating. Utter bullshitery. gently caress you

edit: russia does NOT count, it's basically empty space, steppe rabbit?? and mountains

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Mauser posted:

aside from this being a ridiculous and dishonest argument if it were actually made, you could ride a bicycle to National Airport pretty easily from anywhere in D.C.

Well unless you were Buttigieg in which case you'd have to have the bike SUV'd to within 100 yards first.

https://twitter.com/Xeriland/status/1377757687954423808

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

lmao look how big America is, pretending its one country. Basically cheating. Utter bullshitery. gently caress you

It's not cheating, it's just a very very bad idea.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/SamFishell/status/1377857312866504704 (after you've admired the first one, go read the wikipedia article instead of squinting at the screenshots)

https://twitter.com/Riela2/status/1378006352254152712

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

Elviscat posted:

spherecucks btfo

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The Dollop did a great episode on him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0zI3Ed0kTQ

Though I think those guys have been accused of just reading off Wikipedia in the past. Still, it's a fun episode.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Then there's the paradox of California because it's far to the south but it isn't The South.

Nowhere west of the Rockies is The South.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/CBThorburn/status/1377696492295761923

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

feedmyleg posted:

The Dollop did a great episode on him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0zI3Ed0kTQ

Though I think those guys have been accused of just reading off Wikipedia in the past. Still, it's a fun episode.

I dunno, it seems very clear that Dave writes scripts for all these.

That said, listen to the episode. It might be the best history podcast episode ever.

Dr. Lunchables has a new favorite as of 19:35 on Apr 2, 2021