Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Diephoon posted:

During a Yin Task Force I asked what powersets do well vs. endurance drainers like freakshow stunners and malta sappers and one of the tanks in my group told me I need combat jumping :confused:

Other people suggested electric armor. Is endurance drain resist something you can slot for?

in ages long past there was a goon farm map that used solely blue mitochondria - very bad at killing players, very good at dumping everyone's END to poo poo and keeping it there. the secret to farming there was end drain resistance, and I once supported a farm team on that map with O2 Boost

which is to say, it's found on a bunch of random powers in other sets, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Gynovore posted:

"Soft capped" means you still get hit 5% of the time, so most likely the Sapper just got lucky.
Being able to essentially ignore sappers and play "I will be taking that endurance back now *mashes power sink*" with freak super stunners is one of the reasons why I am a lazy shill for electric armor, even though the guys juiced up to the eyeballs on dodge bonuses are way more impressive to see when they work right.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
There is some energy drain resist in other armor sets too, Dark Armor e.g., and a few instances of it that seem to be Tanker only, like Fire has some on Healing Flames.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Diephoon posted:

Homecoming has a cel shading option.

woah, thanks!

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Flesh Forge posted:

There is some energy drain resist in other armor sets too, Dark Armor e.g., and a few instances of it that seem to be Tanker only, like Fire has some on Healing Flames.

Doesn't seem like Ice Armor has any. I guess that gives me a reason to take hibernate. Hibernate is a toggle though so in the hypothetical situation where I'm end drained and all my toggles fall off I guess I'd have to pop some blue inspirations really quick and hibernate. If I'm able to safely turn on the rest of my toggles while hibernating though then it should be fine.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
toggle management in general is frankly really lovely and it's easy to understand why Cryptic moved away from it entirely in later games.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Doesn't ice armor have an end replenishing power you're using like, once or twice per mob? Just bonk the sapper first

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the best approach to sappers is the proactive one. Even with end drain resist they take a big bite. They're only minions and there tends to only be one or two per group, just whack them before they can do too much.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Diephoon posted:

I won a costume contest with my dark/storm character! :3: Guess the judges like edgelords. (This was top 10)

CoH judges only like three things: edgelords, big titties, and edgelords with big titties.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Freakazoid_ posted:

CoH judges only like three things: edgelords, big titties, and edgelords with big titties.

Bear Patrol's costume contests were the best. I won one with a dumb throwaway demonically-possessed moose (Moosifer) that I stopped playing two days later when I got bored with the powerset. BP didn't give a poo poo as long as you used the Huge model. Gotta admire that clarity of vision

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Section Z posted:

Being able to essentially ignore sappers and play "I will be taking that endurance back now *mashes power sink*" with freak super stunners is one of the reasons why I am a lazy shill for electric armor, even though the guys juiced up to the eyeballs on dodge bonuses are way more impressive to see when they work right.

I've been a fan of Electric Armor since Live. Solid resists, a passive 20% recharge bonus, and it keeps your end bar full in several ways.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Freakazoid_ posted:

This has been my experience too, and why I stopped bothering entering those contests back when I was an active player.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Gynovore posted:

I've been a fan of Electric Armor since Live. Solid resists, a passive 20% recharge bonus, and it keeps your end bar full in several ways.

As someone who rolled Energy Melee/Energy Aura brute back on live when City of Villains launched, you have no idea how infuriated I was to see Elec Armor. Energy Aura was in a really bad place for a long time.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

S.D. posted:

As someone who rolled Energy Melee/Energy Aura brute back on live when City of Villains launched, you have no idea how infuriated I was to see Elec Armor. Energy Aura was in a really bad place for a long time.

I rolled an electric melee/energy aura brute at launch. Back then, chain induction leeched XP, in addition to the relative lack of defenses. My friends and I couldn't even complete the respec trial.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

rarbatrol posted:

I rolled an electric melee/energy aura brute at launch. Back then, chain induction leeched XP, in addition to the relative lack of defenses. My friends and I couldn't even complete the respec trial.

Chain Induction was bugged in about four different ways at launch. It took at last a year to get it working.

Electric Melee overall is kinda blah. Lightning Rod is a fun power but the recharge is to long to make it worthwhile.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

anything elec was a mess at launch. i played an elec/devices blaster in the beta and i was a bit shocked by the power difference when i went energy/energy at launch

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Bear Patrol's costume contests were the best. I won one with a dumb throwaway demonically-possessed moose (Moosifer) that I stopped playing two days later when I got bored with the powerset. BP didn't give a poo poo as long as you used the Huge model. Gotta admire that clarity of vision

My cow themed Time/Milk wizard The Sands of Moo won one of those. The costume was dumb as hell.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jazerus posted:

anything elec was a mess at launch. i played an elec/devices blaster in the beta and i was a bit shocked by the power difference when i went energy/energy at launch

My theory is that Elec Blast was originally intended to be Defender-exclusive and then somewhere along the line they cobbled together Elec Manipulation to pair with it. The former is built more like other Defender-first blast sets (and has similar issues) and the latter is basically a mutant hybrid of other sets (and not in the usual Manipulation set way).

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I built an Ice/Ice Sentinel badwrong (I took Kick, Boxing, and Cross Punch and mix it up between punching and throwing snowballs) and they're actually really fun now.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Crasical posted:

I built an Ice/Ice Sentinel badwrong (I took Kick, Boxing, and Cross Punch and mix it up between punching and throwing snowballs) and they're actually really fun now.

The Legendary Vic Voss (Mercs/Empathy MM, he is entirely a Solid/Naked/Venom Snake pastiche) is almost entirely Fighting, and I love playing him.

Fake e: I just remembered I have yet to put a backstory on him, and thought "Colonel, what's an Arachnos gunship doing here?"

Then I thought "Wait, no, not Colonel, Kernel." And thus was born the support character for The Legendary Vic Voss: Kernel Campbell, whose powerset is, somehow, Corn/Soup. I gotta work that into my description somehow.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Nonexistence posted:

Doesn't ice armor have an end replenishing power you're using like, once or twice per mob? Just bonk the sapper first

The mission I got sapped in was a bank robbery defense where the mobs kept appearing out of thin air, I got sapped before I even knew where he was.

Crasical posted:

Isn't buffing cross punch by taking boxing & kick actually really good on homecoming?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Gynovore posted:

Electric Melee overall is kinda blah. Lightning Rod is a fun power but the recharge is to long to make it worthwhile.

On Live, I enjoyed it on a /Shield Scrapper.

Diephoon posted:

The mission I got sapped in was a bank robbery defense where the mobs kept appearing out of thin air, I got sapped before I even knew where he was.

Yeah, Sappers can be a bitch, doubly so in those cases, when they just keep spawning. I have a custom keybind set up specfically for targeting Sappers: /bind J "target_custom_next Sapper". You just press J, and it'll target the closest Sapper.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

Diephoon posted:

Isn't buffing cross punch by taking boxing & kick actually really good on homecoming?
Cross Punch is great for anyone that doesn't have a good native melee attack, I love it on my controller. Granted, my controller is an angry Warhammer inspired Dwarf who yells at people to heal them, but cross punch with Containment damage is very, very nice.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Kheldarn posted:

Yeah, Sappers can be a bitch, doubly so in those cases, when they just keep spawning. I have a custom keybind set up specfically for targeting Sappers: /bind J "target_custom_next Sapper". You just press J, and it'll target the closest Sapper.

Any way to do something like this that doesn't target dead sappers?

e: thanks

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 22, 2021

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

"target_custom_next enemy alive sapper"

Other permutations here.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

So after the recent discussion in this thread I made a en/elec brute to try that out. I'm not high enough yet to say anything about those sets, but because I don't bother with defenses early on or Hasten until SOs, I had a free power pick at 6, so I grabbed Combat Teleport.

Holy poo poo is it satisfying as hell warping from one guy to the next, punching them in the face.

I usually use two macros to switch between 'travel' and 'combat', with travel turning on Athletic Run and Sprint, and combat turning them off and turning on whatever I need to fight. Right now my 'combat' macro ends with "powexeclocation target Combat Teleport" and I just keep smacking it to zip and punch. It's freakin' great. A++ highly recommend.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Combat Teleport is really good on Homecoming. I like to use it on my Dark/Storm controller. After the alpha strike is finished, I can pop in, drop my two PBAOEs, and teleport out. Also great for any time I just want to get the gently caress out of dodge.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I love queueing it after assassin's strike to feel like batman jobbing a goon then into the night

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
Looks like the Homecoming folks are testing out a new game mechanic in a subtle way - "Singularity will now slowly pull enemies towards it, allowing it to make much greater use of the Repel effect"

Sounds like there may be more mob positioning and moving stuff in the future, not just knock back.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Fearless_Decoy posted:

Looks like the Homecoming folks are testing out a new game mechanic in a subtle way - "Singularity will now slowly pull enemies towards it, allowing it to make much greater use of the Repel effect"

Sounds like there may be more mob positioning and moving stuff in the future, not just knock back.

You know, it never occurred to me until just now, but the seemly kinda useless Fold Space in Teleport could be real interesting combined with Repel or Whirlwind or something.

Edit: Heck, a "powexec_location back:20 Combat Teleport" macro to precede a Gale or any other cone power could be slick as hell also.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 30, 2021

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Decided I wanted to make a new scrapper because the alts never end. Made a Titan/Energy scrapper.

I can't wait to level him up because he hits like a truck right now but suffers from the usual low level problem of, never enough energy.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I somehow managed to play on Homecoming for months and months without knowing about endurance enhancers that you slot into health for passive boosts. Panacea: +Hit Points/Endurance, Numina's Convalescence: +Regeneration/Recovery, and Miracle: +Recovery go into pretty much every character I make now and can be slotted at level 10, 20, and 30 along with Performance Shifter: Chance for +End in Stamina at level 21.

You can also run Death from Below (there's usually someone spamming for DFB or plenty of people willing to join if you go to the effort of making the group yourself) on a new/low level hero side character and pick the endurance bonus at the end which will last you up to level 20 IIRC. Failing all that, if you have money you can always buy blue inspirations at the local hospital, and homecoming's P2W vendor has an endurance restore temporary power I usually save for when I get end drained/recover from a death.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Diephoon posted:

I somehow managed to play on Homecoming for months and months without knowing about endurance enhancers that you slot into health for passive boosts. Panacea: +Hit Points/Endurance, Numina's Convalescence: +Regeneration/Recovery, and Miracle: +Recovery go into pretty much every character I make now and can be slotted at level 10, 20, and 30 along with Performance Shifter: Chance for +End in Stamina at level 21.

You can also run Death from Below (there's usually someone spamming for DFB or plenty of people willing to join if you go to the effort of making the group yourself) on a new/low level hero side character and pick the endurance bonus at the end which will last you up to level 20 IIRC. Failing all that, if you have money you can always buy blue inspirations at the local hospital, and homecoming's P2W vendor has an endurance restore temporary power I usually save for when I get end drained/recover from a death.

Oh yeah, why didn't I think about just buying those for him lol? I will do that when I get home, hopefully it will curb the endurance drain.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Yeah this all operates under the assumption that you have millions of influence to spend (Panacea is usually pretty pricy around 9 mil). I get around 100 mil every day or so if I bother to buy super packs and convert the ATOs into brute sets.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Diephoon posted:

Yeah this all operates under the assumption that you have millions of influence to spend (Panacea is usually pretty pricy around 9 mil). I get around 100 mil every day or so if I bother to buy super packs and convert the ATOs into brute sets.

I have a farming character, so it might take a little bit of time but I can grind it out :).

What do you mean by the conversion thing? While I have been playing for awhile now the crafting system still confuses me a little :smith:.

In hindsight, I should have made my farming character on a different account so I could power level myself...

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Mesadoram posted:

What do you mean by the conversion thing? While I have been playing for awhile now the crafting system still confuses me a little :smith:.

that poo poo never goes away, tbh

I think the idea is to buy super packs, and take the ATOs from them, and use them with Enhancement Converters to "convert within rarity" repeatedly until they come out as Brute ATOs, because those sell for enough more to be worth the cost/effort

EDIT: that said based on my experiences with an StJ/Dark brute: the "panacea" type enhancements have a negligible effect on your blue bar, what really saves you is getting low-tier sets in your attacks - sets are extremely efficient at converting 5 slots into capped dam/acc with a healthy portion of end red

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 2, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Do people still do AE farms to make lots of influence or is that sorta deprecated now in favor of converting? I still have my geared-up fire/rad brute I used to use for that.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

LordSaturn posted:

that poo poo never goes away, tbh

I think the idea is to buy super packs, and take the ATOs from them, and use them with Enhancement Converters to "convert within rarity" repeatedly until they come out as Brute ATOs, because those sell for enough more to be worth the cost/effort

Makes sense, that also explains why converters have such stable prices.

Where does one buy the super packs? The machine/person in the AH?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
You can buy Enhancement Converters off of the /ah for influence or from a reward ATM for reward merits. I like to go to Talos Island as my "hub" since the transit, base portal, reward ATM, and trainer are all right next to each other.

(side tip, if you're playing on Homecoming/Excelsior you can use this macro to go to a cute portal hub to get to most zones from any base teleporter: /macro "Zip" enterbasefrompasscode ZIP-8992. Ouroboros Portal -> Talos Island -> zip from base portal is my low cooldown way of getting around).

Here's the ATM I use, you can see it off to the right across from the Talos Island transit platform I'm floating over.

In the ATM there are several options for things to buy with merits. Enhancement Converters are under "special salvage" at the bottom of the menu.

To use the converters, there is a "convert" option in your enhancement menu above your powerbars.

Here you can see a couple options: In Set Conversion, and Out of Set Conversion.

In set means it will reroll to another enhancement in the same set. This example enhancement is A/D/E/R but it could roll into any of the other enhancements you see listed in the set. You can use this feature to fill out your set by buying whichever set piece is cheapest and rerolling it but it can cost a lot of converters if you get bad RNG.

Out of Set Conversion rerolls the enhancement to any within its own pool. There are three pools (I think?) Invention Origin (crafted/dropped enhancement sets), Archetype Origin (only available from super packs on the /ah), and Winter Origin (only available from winter super packs on the /ah).
What I like to do is buy a bunch of super packs (10 mil/pack) and convert the ATOs into brute sets since they sell consistently for 12 mil (I've sold for as high as 20 mil but it takes more time).

Here you can see I just spent 1 converter to turn the scrapper ATO into a tank ATO.

Let's see how much those are selling for by opening the auction house by typing /ah into the chat.

In my experience, most people are selling most ATOs for somewhere around 8 million. Considering that you get 0-2 ATOs per super pack, you'll probably come out ahead doing this. I prefer to sell brute ATOs because the demand is consistently higher. You can see there are more bids on this brute ATO, and less postings available than the tanker ATO.

Now let's see how many converters it takes me to turn the tanker ATO into a brute ATO!

1601 (what I started with writing this post) to 1577 = 24 converters (1,680,000 influence value if buying @ 70,000 each from the ah). That's a lot of boring clicking and dragging. Taking a look at the current listings though, I can see that there are ZERO of this particular enhancement for sale.

If someone wants to level their brute with this enhancement/the whole set they'll have to roll the ATO themselves or wait for someone like me to do it and sell it to them, so I'm probably going to list this one for 15-20 mil until someone starts undercutting. (at least keep it to 12 mil, they always move).

Usually the other brute set seems to have higher demand (not sure why) so I typically convert this set into the other brute set using the Out of Set Conversion -> Category: Brute option. For now though this one's just ready to sell.

e: just to show they still move at 20 mil

Mesadoram posted:

Where does one buy the super packs? The machine/person in the AH?

/ah -> salvage -> special

Harrow posted:

Do people still do AE farms to make lots of influence or is that sorta deprecated now in favor of converting? I still have my geared-up fire/rad brute I used to use for that.

Farming is still extremely popular and you'll see a bunch of fire/spines brutes hanging out at any AE station as well as people asking for farm groups in chat. Not my thing so I do this instead and I assume farmers make up most of the buyer's market.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Awesome guide, thank you!

I for some reason thought super packs was referring to enhancements themselves and not the 30x converters :hotpickle: