Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Just rolled credits

10 out of 10 game, definitely going in my top 10 of all time

It was actually not easy, but I managed to solve almost everything in a really good way and prove my worth as a cop

4323 build, lots of Concept, Inland Empire, Empathy

also I'm a GIANT loving COMMUNIST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The fascism spirit quest can let Gary tell you about sentient time reverting mud and how Kim's race got so advanced by having their future selves give their present selves advanced technology and ancient rituals where cutting your digits off also makes you go back in time

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

He's a nice enough dude but yeah

"Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded. Centrism isn't change -- not even incremental change. It is *control*. Over yourself and the world."

He embodies centrism to the bone. Pleasant, but passively part of the problem.

Q F loving T.

After I beat this, I’m 100% going to skim through his playthrough. I think this game was made for people like that.

Dinosaurs! posted:

This is disappointing to hear, but thanks for saving me the frustration. I was pretty hyped to finally play this, but my only option is PS4. Hopefully it’ll be patched up soon.

They were quick to acknowledge the problems, and are apparently pushing something out in the next couple days. Check in when that’s out. For what it’s worth, I refuse to play it without VO and that’s the one that screwed it up for me. I think it’s perfectly playable right now, just highly frustrating.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 2, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
love it so far but the console controls are loving awful. like i can't really get the thought cabinent to work and i am not really sure what i am supposed to do. i just met the big racist dude and absorbed his knoledge but it won't let me learn it. plus the weird voice acting cut outs.

love the game but i might just wait a week to see if patches help.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
It takes a skill point to add a thought to the cabinet, so you may have to level up first.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

these voiced skill lines are putting me off so much since I played a lot of the OG version, dont like it at all

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

EorayMel posted:

The fascism spirit quest can let Gary tell you about sentient time reverting mud and how Kim's race got so advanced by having their future selves give their present selves advanced technology and ancient rituals where cutting your digits off also makes you go back in time

god I love this game lmao

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

frajaq posted:

these voiced skill lines are putting me off so much since I played a lot of the OG version, dont like it at all

You can just turn them off

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

love it so far but the console controls are loving awful. like i can't really get the thought cabinent to work and i am not really sure what i am supposed to do. i just met the big racist dude and absorbed his knoledge but it won't let me learn it. plus the weird voice acting cut outs.

love the game but i might just wait a week to see if patches help.

Same, it's very glitchy all around on the ps4.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The fascism spirit quest :frogsiren: eventually leads you and Measurehead speaking in private about women and how he is a member of the Semen Retention Society and thus never actually ejaculates during sex.
Yet also says the only point of biology is passing your genes as far as possible via as many people as possible.
But not cumming is encouraged because it helps pass on spirit which is immortal, while cumming passes on flesh which is not immortal. Winning THE LOVE VICTORY :frogsiren:
And he may have been beaten by his dad [like Cuno].
:siren: And he does not at all agree with trying to return to or bring back the past, counter to Endurance's wants he is only concerned about going forward, and that the present is a living organism with many opportunities.

But most importantly of all He really likes the couch

:pcgaming: AND I HAVE TO LOOK AT MYSELF IN THE MIRROR ALONE NEXT :pcgaming:

H
O
L
E
E
S
H
I
T

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 2, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Same, it's very glitchy all around on the ps4.

i am playing on ps5 and yeah. it sucks because i genuinely like the game. i still feel a little lost though. i get thats kinda the point of the game and failure isnt a bad thing/etc but idk.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

lol why is every "update" 12 GB on GOG.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

just beat the game again. still good as hell. weird seeing Chris Avellone's name in the special thanks section what with all that happened with him, though that was in the original version of the game too.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

zenguitarman posted:

lol gently caress I completely forgot about this

I really was genuinely and pleasantly surprised to find out there was an alternate dream for people who really committed to the best possible path.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

World War Mammories posted:

the world is spherical, because Joyce mentions things in low orbit. (I had exactly this question when I first had that conversation.) (e: also, as has been pointed out, of course the world is a giant ball - where else are the apes gonna duke it out?!) the Pale is... well, okay, fresh thread, I guess a spoiler is appropriate

honestly, you're not far off. the vast majority of Elysium is a white-gray nothingness that slowly drives people insane. "isolas" are its version of continents - islands of matter suspended in a Pale sea of not matter.

So it is a bunch of patches vaguely arranged like a ball. A DISCO ball if you will.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

AceOfFlames posted:

So it is a bunch of patches vaguely arranged like a ball. A DISCO ball if you will.

Negative. It is a disc.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Negative. It is a disc.

As in DISCo. :v:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am playing on ps5 and yeah. it sucks because i genuinely like the game. i still feel a little lost though. i get thats kinda the point of the game and failure isnt a bad thing/etc but idk.

When you get a skill point you can add another thing to the knowledge cabinet, but it is very, very hard to see what's being highlighted in the thought cabinet, and when you're switching between the new slots or the thoughts.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

I really was genuinely and pleasantly surprised to find out there was an alternate dream for people who really committed to the best possible path.

Goddamn, now I have to start over. Spoil a bit for me can you gently caress it up by calling the video rental store? Dialing the long distance call seems obvious. Or is it just a matter of always listening to your instincts when they say - dude, better not do it? Just wouldn't want to accidentally ruin the run by clicking on some object that I'm not supposed to.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

EorayMel posted:

The fascism spirit quest :frogsiren: eventually leads you and Measurehead speaking in private about women and how he is a member of the Semen Retention Society and thus never actually ejaculates during sex.
Yet also says the only point of biology is passing your genes as far as possible via as many people as possible.
But not cumming is encouraged because it helps pass on spirit which is immortal, while cumming passes on flesh which is not immortal. Winning THE LOVE VICTORY :frogsiren:
And he may have been beaten by his dad [like Cuno].
:siren: And he does not at all agree with trying to return to or bring back the past, counter to Endurance's wants he is only concerned about going forward, and that the present is a living organism with many opportunities.

But most importantly of all He really likes the couch

:pcgaming: AND I HAVE TO LOOK AT MYSELF IN THE MIRROR ALONE NEXT :pcgaming:

H
O
L
E
E
S
H
I
T

Lol some Incels and Proudboys actually believe this.

I really wish I could play, I've been hunting down poo poo from error logs all week

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
In steam: i just did a clean install and i haven't had any Bugs ir weird stuff so far

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I've been playing in a window for an hour without a crash. Is it fixed, did THAT fix it? Who knows yet but whatever

I'm trying to get some achievements this time around and I have to mean to Kim :(

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm a bit disappointed that there aren't unique voices for all the skills and it's just the narrator.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I wanna replay now that the final cut is out. on my first run i played as a depressed communist because i am unable to play another character than myself, so I wanna try something else. how well does Art Cop shake out? what i liked about playing a sad cop was that it felt very grounded and human, and i was a little afraid the sillier concepts would make the themes of the story less great.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Elswyyr posted:

I wanna replay now that the final cut is out. on my first run i played as a depressed communist because i am unable to play another character than myself, so I wanna try something else. how well does Art Cop shake out? what i liked about playing a sad cop was that it felt very grounded and human, and i was a little afraid the sillier concepts would make the themes of the story less great.

Art Cop is great. I think it might also be one of the most powerful thoughts you can get.

e: Do all the ideologies have vision quests? I might go back to an earlier save and not discard ultraliberalism in that case (I'm a great hustler).

e2: How does the narrator pronounce wömen?

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 2, 2021

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I switched the voice-over to the psychological setting. Everything is voiced except your skill dialogues. I think I prefer it that way as I always had a certain voice in my head for the MC and his moods.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Elswyyr posted:

Currently playing a psychic cop and it's is definitely a bit sillier but it also kind of works for a second playthrough since I do actually know what's going to happen.

Plus high Shivers / high Inland Empire just makes for an all round super entertaining build.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Currently playing a psychic cop and it's is definitely a bit sillier but it also kind of works for a second playthrough since I do actually know what's going to happen.

Plus high Shivers / high Inland Empire just makes for an all round super entertaining build.

Psychic drugged up cop of the Apocalypse is the canon build in my mind, this is what I played first and it just clicks together very well.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

It actually says so in some of the loading screens, but I would like to say that drugs actually raise your learning caps for skills, meaning that if you have a skill point and have maxed out your points for that skill you can actually raise it one further, permanently, by doing drugs that raise the relevant attribute.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Sekenr posted:

Psychic drugged up cop of the Apocalypse is the canon build in my mind, this is what I played first and it just clicks together very well.

Apocalypse cop is great especially now that all the insane Greek(?) stuff is fully voiced.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Finally started a new playthrough with the final cut last night. Really like the narration (although I kind of wish it hit those little descriptive parts in-between other characters dialogue that it sometimes misses). Don't like Lena's new VA as much as the old one

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah the fact that the narration completely cuts out whenever anyone talks, even if it means cutting out or picking up halfway through a goddamn sentence is super weird and confusing.

Also the way the narrator pronounces some words is weird as gently caress. "yoo rhine all" was especially hilarious. Is that actually how brits say that? It sounds incredibly dumb.

But I'm really enjoying it.

Sekenr posted:

Goddamn, now I have to start over. Spoil a bit for me can you gently caress it up by calling the video rental store? Dialing the long distance call seems obvious. Or is it just a matter of always listening to your instincts when they say - dude, better not do it? Just wouldn't want to accidentally ruin the run by clicking on some object that I'm not supposed to.

I don't have any clue. I was just as careful as I could be not to ever remember jack poo poo, and honestly the game acted all shocked as it listed off the many, many things, some of which I wouldn't have expected, as stuff I'd somehow completely avoided. The three I remember it listing was NOT looking at the dolores mural in the church and NOT grabbing the little figurine in the pawn shop and NOT checking inside the ledger

I did it as part of my ultraliberal hustler path because honestly I see each ideology (as Harry embraces them, anyway) primarily as a personal coping method, and the ultraliberal path is definitely "distracting myself with inanities and delusions to completely avoid engaging with the world or its past on any level whatsoever in favour of building a pleasing fantasy unencumbered by all the poo poo that's happened before (but with a fundamental sense that something about the world has been incredibly unfair to me and I absolutely do NOT want to think about what it was)".

My canonical Harry is definitely a fasco-communist though. A tragic past he can never regain, multiple personal reasons to hate foreigners and women, the feeling that there's no hope for the future and that better things aren't really possible because better things happened and look how it ended? The endless drinking oneself into oblivion as a result of your self-loathing. But maybe, maybe, maybe... someday, with a revolutionary act like erasing his entire memory, he can start over and build something new.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 2, 2021

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Is Moralism the hardest of the ideologies to actually get points in to trigger the thought? In my first run I triggered the three others pretty early on, but only internalized the communism (and then replaced it later because it wasn't doing me much good), don't think I got close to getting the moralism thought. Hasn't happened in the new one yet either.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

GoutPatrol posted:

When you get a skill point you can add another thing to the knowledge cabinet, but it is very, very hard to see what's being highlighted in the thought cabinet, and when you're switching between the new slots or the thoughts.

Wait what? The game let me Internalize 3 things before I even got my first skill point

I thought skill points were only required to unlock new SLOTS for the cabinet?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Simone Magus posted:

Wait what? The game let me Internalize 3 things before I even got my first skill point

I thought skill points were only required to unlock new SLOTS for the cabinet?

Yeah, you start with three unlocked and have to spend points to unlock more or forget thoughts you've already internalized, actually internalizing thoughts doesn't cost skill points, they just require a free slot in the cabinet.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Randarkman posted:

Is Moralism the hardest of the ideologies to actually get points in to trigger the thought? In my first run I triggered the three others pretty early on, but only internalized the communism (and then replaced it later because it wasn't doing me much good), don't think I got close to getting the moralism thought. Hasn't happened in the new one yet either.

I've been gunning for it and have had a similar experience. I'm near the end of the first day on my final cut playthrough and haven't had it trigger yet, even though I have passed up approximately one billion dialogue options for the others. My theory is the moralist options are so bland and unassuming that the eye simply rolls right past them

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, you start with three unlocked and have to spend points to unlock more or forget thoughts you've already internalized, actually internalizing thoughts doesn't cost skill points, they just require a free slot in the cabinet.

Ok good.

But yeah I hope the patch makes the Cabinet menu less confusing on PS4 because it took me literally 20 minutes to figure out how it worked. It's really hard to see where the "cursor" is and the game has literally no tutorials, which honestly is pretty insane considering the digital version doesn't come with a manual

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

I've been gunning for it and have had a similar experience. I'm near the end of the first day on my final cut playthrough and haven't had it trigger yet, even though I have passed up approximately one billion dialogue options for the others. My theory is the moralist options are so bland and unassuming that the eye simply rolls right past them

Honestly, with the flavor text (which I haven't seen in game) it makes a certain amount of thematic sense. Moralism is control. Over yourself and the world.

Also the not really having beliefs things, it's a precise and bland tightrope balancing act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I got Moralism on my first playthrough and I don't remember doing anything special to get it.