Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
The Rebel 1100 looks about right, feature and budget-wise. If I was going to go H-D I think I'd lean more towards an Iron 883 than a Softail. I'm not sure if it was clear that the Shadow I'm currently on is the RS variant which is about 3 inches taller than the rest.

In any case I'm most likely riding another season on my current bike unless the itch to upgrade gets overwhelming. Thanks for the suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Plank Walker posted:

The Rebel 1100 looks about right, feature and budget-wise. If I was going to go H-D I think I'd lean more towards an Iron 883 than a Softail. I'm not sure if it was clear that the Shadow I'm currently on is the RS variant which is about 3 inches taller than the rest.

In any case I'm most likely riding another season on my current bike unless the itch to upgrade gets overwhelming. Thanks for the suggestions.

I know exactly what RS is, and it's better than 883 in every single possible way. 1200 would be quicker and have nicer paint, but that's about it.

Ride them all. Don't shop by looks

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah I would avoid the Sportsters.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Nitrox posted:

I know exactly what RS is, and it's better than 883 in every single possible way. 1200 would be quicker and have nicer paint, but that's about it.

Ride them all. Don't shop by looks

Alright, a lot of the suggestions given seemed a lot more "cruiser-y" than the RS. Rebel/Bonneville Bobber/any H-D all seem to have the seat down in the frame, vs like the RS or a Bonneville T100's bench-style seats. Maybe the Street Twin is the bike I'm looking for, seems to be about the same seat height as the RS on cycle ergo and similar posture.

In any case, I appreciate all the suggestions and will keep an eye out for any of the aforementioned bikes to try and swing a leg over.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Have you considered platform shoes

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Plank Walker posted:

Alright, a lot of the suggestions given seemed a lot more "cruiser-y" than the RS. Rebel/Bonneville Bobber/any H-D all seem to have the seat down in the frame, vs like the RS or a Bonneville T100's bench-style seats.

You asked for a low seat height, we recommended bikes with a low seat height...

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Steakandchips posted:

You asked for a low seat height, we recommended bikes with a low seat height...

Sorry for the confusion, I just meant that anything taller than my current seat height of ~29" is too much, not that I was looking to go 3-4 inches lower, and that the 31" seat height of the regular Bonneville was the only thing keeping me from being all-in on getting one, since it checks all the boxes otherwise.

I think the height issue is a function of both bike width and weight as well, the 29" Shadow RS is right at the limits for me, if it was any heavier, taller, or wider waisted it would be too much. I could maybe get away with taller, but the bike would have to either be skinnier or lighter, which the Bonneville is neither.

Plank Walker fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 27, 2021

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

The ducati scrambler is 30" I think, and also fairly skinny.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Plank Walker posted:

Sorry for the confusion, I just meant that anything taller than my current seat height of ~29" is too much, not that I was looking to go 3-4 inches lower, and that the 31" seat height of the regular Bonneville was the only thing keeping me from being all-in on getting one, since it checks all the boxes otherwise.

I think the height issue is a function of both bike width and weight as well, the 29" Shadow RS is right at the limits for me, if it was any heavier, taller, or wider waisted it would be too much. I could maybe get away with taller, but the bike would have to either be skinnier or lighter, which the Bonneville is neither.

Go sit on some bikes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Very appropriate user name too. Are you basing this stuff on having to put both feet flat on the ground or can you genuinely not reach with even one foot if the bike is normal height?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

height isn't real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRFyw57o_Ic

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The seat height number does not take into account the width of the seat, or the motorcycle itself, or what shoes you are currently wearing. Put on your riding boots, go and sit on some bikes. Also, having heels on the ground is not a requirement for any reason anywhere. I have a 30-in inseam, I'm sitting on the 34 inch height seat and that's just fine. If I were to go shopping by that single metric alone, I would dismiss 60% of motorcycles that exist

I make it my business to go to every single demo ride that's available near me. This is why I've only been riding for like 12 years, but I've ridden nearly every motorcycle that has been for sale in North America and then some. Please do as much testing as possible, because it's always a combination of factors that truly matters

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nitrox posted:

The seat height number does not take into account the width of the seat, or the motorcycle itself, or what shoes you are currently wearing. Put on your riding boots, go and sit on some bikes. Also, having heels on the ground is not a requirement for any reason anywhere. I have a 30-in inseam, I'm sitting on the 34 inch height seat and that's just fine. If I were to go shopping by that single metric alone, I would dismiss 60% of motorcycles that exist

I make it my business to go to every single demo ride that's available near me. This is why I've only been riding for like 12 years, but I've ridden nearly every motorcycle that has been for sale in North America and then some. Please do as much testing as possible, because it's always a combination of factors that truly matters

I need to do some of those. All my gear is in Calgary though. Once I'm vaccinated I will definitely head out there for any demo days anyone is running.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
honda 500 twins are pretty low and narrow. Large range of styles to pick from

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Are they exactly 29" tall and just as narrow as his Shadow RS?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no but maybe he should just buy another shadow rs if thats what he wants.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I'm going to go sit on bikes, I know from sitting on one that a Bonneville is too tall. Thanks for suggesting shorter bikes.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Look at it.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/468537177912004/

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

what in the cinnamon toast gently caress is wrong with people

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I wish I hadn’t

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jazzzzz posted:

Horse Clocks posted:

I wish I hadn’t

Only eight thousand five hundred U.S. dollars.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I kinda like it?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

did you see the tires?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Fat Tire enduros own and fat tire WR/YZ kits own even more. It's a TDUB with gobs of power and good suspension. If you don't like it you need your head checked.

Jazzzzz posted:

You tell me! You are the one who doesn't like it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Those aren't Tdub tires, they're ATV tires - dude has darksided a dirtbike. He basically took a decent enduro bike and made a lovely Rokon out of it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Fat Tire enduros own and fat tire WR/YZ kits own even more. It's a TDUB with gobs of power and good suspension. If you don't like it you need your head checked.

You tell me! You are the one who doesn't like it.

But what if I like turning?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I mean this is an established thing people do it's not my fault you people have never seen it before.

Big Wheel Dirtbikes have been loving awesome for decades.
https://dirtwheelsmag.com/honda-fat-cat-650/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No, no taking tyres that work really well and replacing them with ones that work really badly is a loving poo poo idea, actually.

Like, traction on dirt is determined by tread pattern and wheel DIAMETER. Switching to tiny diameter fat wheels is a massive downgrade.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You can lead a horse to water I guess...

"BuT iTs LeIk DaRkSiDiNg!" Honda and Yamaha are disappointed in you.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
We all give POs poo poo for doing mad stuff but when I see something like that WR I know somebody had fun putting it together and mucking around with it.

Trying to sell it for more than RRP however ..

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Shelvocke posted:

We all give POs poo poo for doing mad stuff but when I see something like that WR I know somebody had fun putting it together and mucking around with it.

Trying to sell it for more than RRP however ..

The kit costs at least $3000 and that's a good conversion and clean EFI WR/YZ with supposedly a street legal title so it's not a bad deal.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

You can lead a horse to water I guess...

"BuT iTs LeIk DaRkSiDiNg!" Honda and Yamaha are disappointed in you.

Yeah there's a reason this poo poo died in the 80's: we know how to do it correctly now.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Pearls before swine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I would love to see your immense disappointment upon riding one of those as an adult in tyool 2021, especially after having owned actually competent bikes to compare them to.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
"Guys guys stop I don't think this is a good idea guys. The mu coefficient of friction isn't increased enough to outweigh the tread arc angle's effect on the steering. Let's just go home guys my mom said we can have danimals and capri sun STOP ROOSTING M-STOP IT!! Guys come back you know I'm not supposed to be out here alone. HEEEEYYY!!!"

Bet you people don't get fat tire bicycles either, ya min-maxing nerds.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 2, 2021

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Fat tyre bicycles are awesome, especially in the snow.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What kind of backwards-rear end timeline did we slip into where a bicycle person is entitled to comment on the coolness of literally anything. Fat tyre bicycles are what you have because your mum thinks a miserable fat tyre child's motorcycle is still too dangerous for her precious.

Also: I ride bikes for fun and square tyres are the opposite of that. Idk where fat bicycles land on this because I've never been laid so low as to swing a leg over one, I'm open to the idea they aren't terrible in as much as any bicycle can be not terrible.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

The kit costs at least $3000 and that's a good conversion and clean EFI WR/YZ with supposedly a street legal title so it's not a bad deal.

I guess there a bunch of sand dunes in that area so maybe it makes a little more sense, but I am a repeat offender at spending a lot of money on dumb poo poo and even I'm like "3K for that? pffft get hosed"

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

What kind of backwards-rear end timeline did we slip into where a bicycle person is entitled to comment on the coolness of literally anything. Fat tyre bicycles are what you have because your mum thinks a miserable fat tyre child's motorcycle is still too dangerous for her precious.

Also: I ride bikes for fun and square tyres are the opposite of that. Idk where fat bicycles land on this because I've never been laid so low as to swing a leg over one, I'm open to the idea they aren't terrible in as much as any bicycle can be not terrible.

Bicycles are cool too. You should keep your sick takes to motorcycles though since it looks like your bicycle knowledge is limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Fat Tire E-Bikes are especially great, particularly if you're going to be going over sand. If I lived in some sea-side village and wanted a two-wheel vehicle to bop around on the beach/run errands with, I can't think of a better idea than something that light with big buoyant tires and extra power to get me out of ruts.