Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the Labour party and policing – Labour changes stance to vote against crime bill following police’s actions at vigil for Sarah Everard" Also Corbyn ignored: Starmer reveals he has not spoken to former Labour leader for FIVE months After Raphael.

Telegraph:

Independent:

No 10 race adviser Samuel Kasumu resigns

Times:

COVID-19: Strict national lockdown imposed on France as Emmanuel Macron warns 'the numbers are charging away from us' After J-L David.

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... France's Covid shambles

'Macron the monarch'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I don't understand the Lil Nas X controversy at all. He did a music video where he twerked on Satan. But rock musicians have been hailing Satan for years, I thought we as a society had stopped caring about that decades ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6swmTBVI83k

Is it because it's gay? It's because it's gay isn't it, this is less a religious thing and more a homophobic thing.

he's also black, and they've called black musicians satanic since jazz if not before.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Also he does country music. Popular country music. Harder to avoid.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

So I made a thing...

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Your efforts have not been in vain.
:newlol:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

So I made a thing...

Kellies Nomination: best edit

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

So I made a thing...

Kellies nomination: best parody/edit

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

You mean that thing most people really like

quote:

Gary Varvel

lol called it

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Why does Calvary Hill look like a skull? I don't recall learning that bit of lore in Catholic school.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Did we remember to add another tally to the Fat Furries column on the Garrison List O’ Fetishes?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

Why does Calvary Hill look like a skull? I don't recall learning that bit of lore in Catholic school.

It's Golgotha.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

packetmantis posted:

It's Golgotha.

Oh, huh. Literally never saw an accurate picture of it before.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

packetmantis posted:

It's Golgotha.

That's the same thing. I knew Golgotha meant "skull hill," but I didn't know it was supposed to actually look like one.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I dont know posted:

The far right seems determined to refight every single battle of the 80's culture war again. I guess it was only a matter of time before another Satanic Panic flared up. In a few years they will be arresting a bunch of innocent kindergarten teachers.
I thought that was Qanon.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Drakyn posted:

I thought that was Qanon.

No, it was the "pro-life movement."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Jurgan posted:

That's the same thing. I knew Golgotha meant "skull hill," but I didn't know it was supposed to actually look like one.

It's not. It's a political cartoon so they thought someone might not figure it out.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Dang, this one would actually be really good if it wasn't for the big label across his back.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

He Has Risen! His Pants Have Fallen!

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 2, 2021

Worp
Aug 16, 2013

Wait, that's supposed to be a skull?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Agents are GO! posted:

He Has Risen! His Pants Have Fallen!

Kellies Nomination: Best Edit/Parody

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Would we like the Kellies awards in this thread or in their own thread?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Discendo Vox posted:

Would we like the Kellies awards in this thread or in their own thread?

If the nominations thread weren't closed, I'd suggest putting them there, for ease of reference in the future. If you put them in this thread, I suggest tagging the post with a unique string and putting it in the OP (tagging in our beloved friend Pants Donkey) so people can find the results easily.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

If the nominations thread weren't closed, I'd suggest putting them there, for ease of reference in the future. If you put them in this thread, I suggest tagging the post with a unique string and putting it in the OP (tagging in our beloved friend Pants Donkey) so people can find the results easily.

I'll work them up for inclusion in this thread, as I believe that we are more likely to get active discussion. In fact, I might break them up into a couple posts, as we have some Special Ks to give out this year.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Jurgan posted:

It probably did since the way the passage is written implies it was a nick name. But it also could just be because the hill was very round or had a couple of holes in it that looked like eyes

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Michael Ramirez

Ramirez trying to come up with a sick burn and just literally repeating Lil Nas X's entire point.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

vroom

quote:

I’ll Be Watching You: Transportation Secretary Buttigieg proposes the Government tax our mileage to cover infrastructure.

quote:

Yes We Can: The Media are ignoring migrant children at the border packed like sardines in Biden’s detention cages.

With this being Branco, I'm not sure how much of it is genuine criticism of Biden, and how much is lingering resentment that Trump was criticized.

:yeah:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Former Liberal PM John Howard as the chicken, who passed the Aged Care Act in 1997. Morrison dug his heels in against doing anything about aged care until a royal commission was forced on him, which just released its report saying what everyone already knew about how rotten everything was. Health minister Greg Hunt said the Aged Care Act 1997 would be scrapped, the other satirical stab there is at the dearth of vaccines.

Spooner:

House prices have gone through the roof this Easter due to a combo of people being cashed up after a year of lockdown, low interest rates and the government ignoring the recommendations of the banking royal commission on lending.

Warren Brown:

Warren now has titles on these: this is "Malcolm Turnbull just didn’t know when to call it a day...", as Turnbull has been appointed to the NSW government climate advisory board.

Leunig:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Today I learned you can also spell gauge as gage.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Kellies nomination: Worst cartoon

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Technowolf posted:

Kellies nomination: Worst cartoon
Yeah it’s so bad my brain keeps looping back and forth on where to begin and can’t form a coherent thought.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Such as..?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah it's so bad my brain keeps looping back and forth on where to begin and can't form a coherent thought.

Hell, :same:.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

"I'm exactly like Jesus because people got mad at my racism" sure is a hell of a take.

Raised By Birds posted:

With this being Branco, I'm not sure how much of it is genuine criticism of Biden, and how much is lingering resentment that Trump was criticized.

None of it is genuine criticism of Biden, it's all just payback for criticism of Trump. If Biden said tomorrow he was immediately closing all the camps and releasing everyone imprisoned in them, the right wing would immediately switch to "BIDEN RELEASING DANGEROUS DRUG DEALING THUGS AND CHILD TRAFFICKING ILLEGALS." Not a single one of them would say "Good, those camps were inhumane and it's good he closed them down," which is how you know it isn't genuine criticism.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

"canceling" has always existed in some form, an abuse of power against minorities and the marginalised, and "cancel culture" as a modern phenomena is complete bullshit, a term appropriated by those in power to conflate the abuse they commit with the criticism they receive

a good cartoon

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

MechaCrash posted:

"Bob the Angry Flower does an Attack On Titan reference" is not the kind of thing I had expected to see.

But then, seeing any kind of Attack On Titan thing in the Political Cartoons thread feels weird, because most of it is made by a bunch of white boomers.

It's supposed to be a dig at Ted Rall, but as is sometimes the case in Bob comics the message is kinda muddy. Doesn't help that most cartoonists with an author-avatar character don't deliberately make them almost always wrong about everything.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So seriously what loving border crisis do all these right wing cartoonists keep insisting Joe is ignoring. I haven't seen any reports of some kind of massive increase in border crossing or immigration or refugees. It's getting very tedious to hear about a completely manufactured crisis every single day.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Prickly City - Scott Stantis and Eric Allie

Man, you'd think any system that considered a working single mother with three part-time jobs to owe the exact same amount on the debt as Bill Gates and Apple would be a pretty bad system, huh

Guess the problem must be the amount of debt, not that you're parceling it out evenly across all Americans

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

There is no prick in this entire loving country that I want to punch more than Michael Leunig. :australia:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Lurdiak posted:

So seriously what loving border crisis do all these right wing cartoonists keep insisting Joe is ignoring. I haven't seen any reports of some kind of massive increase in border crossing or immigration or refugees. It's getting very tedious to hear about a completely manufactured crisis every single day.

They claim there are millions (yes, millions) of immigrants rushing the border to get into the US.

I think border crossings are up a bit, but it's not millions like right wing media is claiming.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The specific issue right now is unaccompanied minors. The Biden administration has been turning most people away on the basis that we haven't got COVID under control yet, but when children show up without adults, that represents a kind of unique challenge; if you turn them away, you're basically sending ten-year-olds into Mexico without any adult supervision. You can't just let them in, either, because then you're sending them into Texas without any adult supervision, and that isn't better. So what happens is that the Border Patrol picks them up, and then hands them off to Health and Human Services, who places them with the family they came to join (or whatever other appropriate party they can find). The problem is that this takes time; it can be a few days or even a few weeks before HHS can find someone to put them with, so they have to stay in temporary shelters during that time... and we're at a 15-year high in terms of the number of these kids arriving. They're up to over three hundred kids a day crossing the border at this point.

If there isn't a bed in a shelter for the children, the border patrol hangs onto them, resulting in the kids in cages (or at least surrounded by plastic sheets) we've been seeing on the news, because the Border Patrol absolutely does not have appropriate spaces to house children in. Since nobody wants that, HHS has been trying to find anywhere they can put these kids. They're looking at public buildings near the border, military bases, wherever they can find to keep them, because they are way, way over capacity and the flow isn't slowing down. Ironically, the early efforts the Biden administration made to open more shelters were decried as... building cages for kids.

The short-term solution to this problem is probably throwing a lot of money at HHS so that they can get that emergency space and make it as comfortable as possible, and possibly increase their speed at placing children with their families, but I'm gonna guess the Republican ghouls complaining about this would be aghast at the idea that we need to spend more money helping migrant children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

bandaid.friend posted:

"canceling" has always existed in some form, an abuse of power against minorities and the marginalised, and "cancel culture" as a modern phenomena is complete bullshit, a term appropriated by those in power to conflate the abuse they commit with the criticism they receive

a good cartoon

"Cancel Culture" is just "Free hand of the market" working against them.