Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Often Abbreviated posted:

what's your argument here, that Catholic ethnic cleansing wasn't 100% successful so it doesn't matter and we should support more of it?

I was agreeing with Southpaugh, and chuckling at the idea that Ireland would have been hosed had the Gunpowder Plot succeeded when Oliver Cromwell came on the scene literally one monarch later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

shirts and skins posted:

I was agreeing with Southpaugh, and chuckling at the idea that Ireland would have been hosed had the Gunpowder Plot succeeded when Oliver Cromwell came on the scene literally one monarch later

I mean, if you have a far more hardline and reactionary monarchy after James VI/I, you just get an earlier Cromwell equivalent with widespread popular support without those pesky English Catholics around

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
seems to me like more cases of anti-Catholic ethnic cleansing would in fact be worse than fewer, but chuckle away I guess

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jose posted:

he's a member of the BoD now lol

You can tell 'cos he's always on Twitter now, labelling people's throwaway remarks as anti-semitic.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Boris is mighty and you are not.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol but also wtf

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...B1feyZE?ocid=st

quote:

"You call up and he's basically managing you on the call and he sort of thinks he's really smart and you haven't clocked that he's just managing.

"Obviously, we're f*g politicians so we know when we are being managed.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Isn't fag public school slang for junior year group pupils who've got to be slaves for the older boys? Not that it improves that sentence by alot really

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Lmao what the hell. Who lets themself get quoted saying something like that? Probably entirely made up by the Express.

vvvv lol

namesake has issued a correction as of 18:13 on Apr 2, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao i decided to hunt down the actual huffington post article and the actual quote is

quote:

You call up and he’s basically managing you on the call and he sort of thinks he’s really smart and you haven’t clocked that he’s just managing. Obviously, we’re loving politicians so we know when we are being managed.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Often Abbreviated posted:

seems to me like more cases of anti-Catholic ethnic cleansing would in fact be worse than fewer, but chuckle away I guess

Guess when the last time the UK considered such cleansings.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2601577.stm

Ted Heath was given a plan to make most of NI protestant only.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao at all of this. who could've predicted the convicted fraudster would defraud his own supporters

https://twitter.com/lizziedearden/status/1372251634995236864?s=20
https://twitter.com/lizziedearden/status/1372254294288826368?s=20

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i'd guess whatever scraping service cuts out redundant *s. definitely changes the meaning, wowsers.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

CoolCab posted:

i'd guess whatever scraping service cuts out redundant *s. definitely changes the meaning, wowsers.
just a tiny, teensy weensy bit, yeah

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

"So whether it's, you know, the farmers NFU speech or any anything else they'll ask think-tank types or academics what should we be saying?

"Some of those people push back and have said 'Well, maybe you want to tell us a bit a bit more about what you think and then we can tailor what we're going to tell you when we know a little bit more about your gut, on this issue'.

even the think tank ghouls think they're too spineless and craven

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
starmer kept his press tongue bath exactly until there was an election on at which point it evaporated, funny that

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

SplitSoul posted:

What do you get if you toss Boris Johnson into a volcano?

This has already been done, and filmed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXJfg_JIUZA

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i gotta say this is probably the least enthused i’ve ever been for an election , and i used to think council ones were super important

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Jel Shaker posted:

i gotta say this is probably the least enthused i’ve ever been for an election , and i used to think council ones were super important

Conversely this is the first time I've ever given a poo poo about locals

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jel Shaker posted:

labour pretending these are the most important elections really adds to the hilarity they're going to get massacred

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Keth Stammer

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

harder better faster starmer

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jose posted:

labour pretending these are the most important elections really adds to the hilarity they're going to get massacred

look they were left a mess by Corbyn and if they do worse than him then that, and only that, explains why

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Doctor Jeep posted:

harder better faster starmer

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jose posted:

I literally got an email saying "these are the most important elections in our lifetime" lmao

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

For any Brits unaware there is a chat thread in gbs

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
lol Starmer went and chummed it up with the same Pro-Conversion Therapy church May got raked over the coals for talking to.

loving

great

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

lol Starmer went and chummed it up with the same Pro-Conversion Therapy church May got raked over the coals for talking to.

loving

great

So I fully believe this but link?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1377977021452668930?s=20

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

remember when ed milliband as leader was sometimes ok and sometimes like a focus group robot programmed by blairite ghouls?

well starmer is like that except without being ok sometimes

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Armando Iannucci got it so wrong.
We thought there were 20 dimensional chess playing behind the scenes people like Malcom Tucker, trying to outwit his other quadruple lobe counterpart for headlines.

But they are all just Ollies and Glenns.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Oh no this is totally, utterly calculated.

It's just unfortunate that it's calculated to signal out to the utter worst dregs of society, the most spiteful hateful cunts on this island.

Who'll still call him a pinko and go back to spaffing over their well stained pictures of ARE MADGE before ticking the box for more suffering.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

marktheando posted:

remember when ed milliband as leader was sometimes ok and sometimes like a focus group robot programmed by blairite ghouls?

well starmer is like that except without being ok sometimes

he has all the charm of a wet sandwich, and that is combined with all his opinions and statements that are generated by some political AI based on polls and focus groups. This bizarre robot-man is particularly repulsive because his whole personality falls into the uncanny valley

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Jose posted:

lmao at all of this. who could've predicted the convicted fraudster would defraud his own supporters

https://twitter.com/lizziedearden/status/1372254294288826368?s=20

lol that Tommy Robinson is an op by the most reactionary parts of the US and Israeli right
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_East_Forum

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

XMNN posted:

look they were left a mess by Corbyn and if they do worse than him then that, and only that, explains why

Thinking about no matter how bad things got, Jeremy Corbyn never once said: "This is all Ed Millibands fault, actually".

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Apparently someone at LSE just published a small blogpost about how independent Scotland would probably do alright economically and it got pulled immediately, lol

Fortunately the internet never forgets: https://archive.is/nWOGi

e: :lol: at the bolded part

quote:

With regional stability in the interests of all parties, any referendum favouring Scottish independence should be enacted through a staged approach to secession in compliance with constitutional law to minimise the economic cost on the UK and Scotland. The rule of law should be at the heart of any Scottish secession to allow for the best possible economic outcomes for people in Scotland and the UK. Such a process also depends on the politics between the UK and Scottish governments being cooperative, open-minded, and transparent. Nevertheless, although political amicability between the UK and Scotland is preferable, it is not indispensable for Scotland to become independent and continue prospering thereafter, particularly if Scotland negotiates access to the EU single market.

e2: I didn't notice that they are literally working for the UK government, thats another :lol:

barbecue at the folks has issued a correction as of 12:40 on Apr 3, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/robpowellnews/status/1378305611151110144?s=19

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

dispatch_async posted:

Starmer's latest :yooge: LAW AND ORDER tweet has resulted in Jimmy Saville trending on twitter.

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1377657867990360064

When you were gadding about in the Bullingdon Club, I was learning the blade

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Armando Iannucci got it so wrong.
We thought there were 20 dimensional chess playing behind the scenes people like Malcom Tucker, trying to outwit his other quadruple lobe counterpart for headlines.

But they are all just Ollies and Glenns.

Iannucci's been asked repeatedly if The Thick of It will return. IIRC he's said there's been a few times where he sat down to start writing new scripts, and each time something utterly batshit would happen in real life which made the lunacy of his draft script look quite tame.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol why the heck is the labour leader visiting a fundamentalist church

he’s just trolling for bants now isn’t he

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

tbh TTOI was an incredibly Blairite representation of government, just as Yes Minister was Thatcherite propaganda, so it's probably for the best that we don't have another series that paints the Kieth equivalent as a hero