Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Zesty posted:

"Cancel Culture" is just "Free hand of the market" working against them.

Cancel Culture is conservatives reacting to the fact that they no longer hold enough social or economic power to enforce their worldview. They don't hold all the cards anymore and people don't have to cater only to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

And again, the Guardian have been demanding edits from Bell. Here's the original, which makes more sense:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Agents are GO! posted:

He Has Risen! His Pants Have Fallen!

I BELIEVE!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

People who get "cancelled" usually come back in three days, AGC.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

idonotlikepeas posted:

If there isn't a bed in a shelter for the children, the border patrol hangs onto them, resulting in the kids in cages (or at least surrounded by plastic sheets) we've been seeing on the news, because the Border Patrol absolutely does not have appropriate spaces to house children in. Since nobody wants that, HHS has been trying to find anywhere they can put these kids. They're looking at public buildings near the border, military bases, wherever they can find to keep them, because they are way, way over capacity and the flow isn't slowing down. Ironically, the early efforts the Biden administration made to open more shelters were decried as... building cages for kids.

There've also been some accusations that Border Patrol are slow-walking people through the process (and have been for years) because seeing kids in cages helps stoke fear of the invading migrant hordes among conservatives and hurts Biden/helps Trump politically.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
If it means I don't have to pay the stupid arbitrary $100 "electric vehicle surcharge" on my license registration in my state and instead get a much lower per mile tax because I only drive about 2000-3000 miles a year then fine.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Your already required to get your car inspected annually to ensure roadworthyness as part renewing your plates. Among other things, they note your car's mileage. This wouldn't take anymore information than what the government already has.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

The short-term solution to this problem is probably throwing a lot of money at HHS so that they can get that emergency space and make it as comfortable as possible, and possibly increase their speed at placing children with their families, but I'm gonna guess the Republican ghouls complaining about this would be aghast at the idea that we need to spend more money helping migrant children.

At this point Republican ghouls will oppose anything short of turning the border into the Maginot Line and gunning down anyone approaching without warning. Just like, deep down, they really would love to live in an apartheid system.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Moon Slayer posted:

At this point Republican ghouls will oppose anything short of turning the border into the Maginot Line and gunning down anyone approaching without warning.

Now I'm reminded of Freep's idea of having a two mile wide pile of tires along the border instead of a wall.

quote:

This country has literally billions of discarded tires piled up around America, and we discard another 240 MILLION tires annually. These tire piles are always seen as a “problem.” I see them as not only a solution, but the BEST SOLUTION to the border problem!

I know that there are some problems inherent in the existence of a tire pile, but they are certainly no greater than the problems we are currently facing with countless deaths, kidnappings, drug smuggling, and everything else that is a REALITY given the pathetic excuse for a “fence” we now have and will never complete.

Imagine a wall of discarded tires along the border, two or three miles in width and 100 feet above ground level. Consider carefully the enclosed photos as you read further.

Before you summarily reject this concept, consider for a moment the FOLLOWING points.

* NO ONE can RUN across a tire pile. It is physically impossible! The tires will tip and roll, catch feet and collapse under the weight of any passersby. Anyone crossing something like this can easily be spotted and captured, using modified 4WD vehicles that use track systems similar to tanks or snow cats rather than conventional tires to drive over the pile as needed.

* The construction of a tire pile requires NO engineering, NO structural framework, and NO special equipment. Simply piling tires onto tires will eventually build a magnificent wall that is not one or two feet thick, but one or two MILES thick. Where the wall needs to be taller, simply add more tires.

* Tunneling can be eliminated if a trench is dug first, say … 50 feet deep. Fill the two-mile wide trench with tires, and then keep piling them up until the wall is sufficient to discourage even the most determined illegal border crosser.

* A wall of tires does not need to be maintained, painted, or repaired. There is no need for welders, painters, stone masons or carpenters. Even PRISONERS can loosely pile tires effectively! Vandalism to the wall by the illegals would not matter.

* Graffiti could be completely ignored, and would be little more than colorful spots along the wall of tires which would have NO flat surface for tagging.

* A wall that is impervious to damage and decay. If gunfire erupts, should the border patrol agents miss their target, the only thing they will hit … is a pile of TIRES.

* The pest “problem.” Tire piles retain rain water. They are normally seen as undesirable because they create breeding grounds for mosquitoes. Normally this would be a problem, but I see a two-mile wide tire wall infested with mosquitoes as a good deterrent to crossing over it, don’t you? Mosquito abatement can commence on the American side of the wall or by crop dusting the length of the wall if needed.

* Nature’s border guards. The wall could be populated with mice, rats and venomous snakes. The mice and rats would feed the snakes, and the illegals that still ignore our sovereignty and attempt unsuccessfully to cross over the wall will feed the snakes.

* FREE building materials! I am certain that if you call the governors of the other 49 states and tell them that you want all of their discarded tires, you will discover that they will be more than happy to gather up every tire pile within their state lines and transport them at their cost to our southern border, where you can arrange to distribute them as needed. They should not be stacked or neatly arranged. They should be randomly piled, as if dropped from the sky. This will make them far more difficult to cross on foot.

What about TIRE FIRES? Certainly, those wishing to cross our border illegally will try to wreak havoc by setting the tires on fire. That’s okay. A system can be devised using existing technology, so that these fires can be extinguished effectively wherever they are started. The foaming machines used at airports for fire resistance can be modified to belch out millions of cubic yards of an inert fire retardant where needed. Remember the volcano experiments from grammar school? Vinegar and baking soda create a very large quantity of liquid foam, very quickly. Machines capable of smothering large tire fires using a similar mixture of an environmentally friendly foam would work well.

We also have all of the water from the Colorado River that reaches the border! Now, I know there is some silly ‘treaty’ that demands a certain amount of water be allowed to flow beyond our southern border in Mexico for their farming and ranching needs, and I am all for allowing that to continue on one condition. If the Mexicans are going to set the tire wall on fire, well gosh … I guess ALL of that water will have to be diverted to the fire through a piping system built along the American side to fight the fire. We would send a very clear message to the Mexican citizens. If you want OUR water, stop igniting OUR tires! When their crops begin to die, and they are all suffering from dehydration due to the water source from the Colorado River being diverted to reservoirs along the American border for fire fighting purposes, they will begin to understand the value of allowing the tire wall to exist undisturbed. If they complain about the water being shut off, tell them to stop invading our country!

You may be laughing. I am not. The problem of the illegal Mexicans crossing onto American soil is monumental. It is destroying our schools, our neighborhoods, our hospitals and our workforce. All of the “feel good” talk and toothless measures coming from the federal government are worthless. It is abundantly clear that the federal government has NO interest in controlling our border.

Unless you can come up with a better plan, a way to build a wall that can be built by people with NO construction skills, using FREE materials that require NO maintenance, that offers a formidable barrier that would challenge even the toughest U.S. Marine, I suggest you start piling tires along the border A.S.A.P. and finally put a stop to the problem of illegal aliens in America.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I dont know posted:

Your already required to get your car inspected annually to ensure roadworthyness as part renewing your plates. Among other things, they note your car's mileage. This wouldn't take anymore information than what the government already has.

Branco apparently is not familiar with odometers. Which is not surprising because he's one of the dumbest cartoonists posted in here.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Twelve by Pies posted:

Now I'm reminded of Freep's idea of having a two mile wide pile of tires along the border instead of a wall.

Besides the top 10 reasons this is the worst idea ever. The idea that putting out a fire if someone lit it is a lie. There are notable tire fires where the government just gave up and let it burn out because pound for pound. Tire rubber has the same energy density as gasoline. If someone lit it and fire fighters didn't get there very quickly we would probably end up with an environmental disaster worse than Chernobyl. On top of turning the US border and nearby regions into a charred and poisoned wasteland.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

There's also no way the "release snakes, mice and mosquitos into the wild" plan could possible backfire.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

Which gave us "A Song of Tire and ICE". :v:

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Raised By Birds posted:

Which gave us "A Song of Tire and ICE". :v:

Song of ICE and Tire surely...

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Buddies I'm going to need links to all this internet drama.
:magical:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
See, THIS poo poo is why Bors's post-apocalyptic poo poo never bothers me, and Mad Max just feels like the default future.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Twelve by Pies posted:

This is the stupidest loving thing I've ever read.

Actual footage of people trying to put out the fire after our mighty vermin invested garbage wall is set ablaze.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Srice posted:

Mostly homophobia but with enough satanic panic to rile up that crowd too.

Plus the racism too, same racism that had them trying to deny Old Town Road is a country song.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

hundreds of kilometres of burning tires and a vermin infestation of bigger than biblical proportion?
That might be the kick to the butt that every single U.S. Government had deserved all at once.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I don't understand the Lil Nas X controversy at all. He did a music video where he twerked on Satan. But rock musicians have been hailing Satan for years, I thought we as a society had stopped caring about that decades ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6swmTBVI83k

Is it because it's gay? It's because it's gay isn't it, this is less a religious thing and more a homophobic thing.

I saw someone explain what he did that has them mad as "Be gay blackly" and that seems pretty succinct :shrug:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Be gay blackly and unashamedly, and in a non servile manner.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

basically every conservative cartoonist these days is a walking embodiment of the Barry Deutsch "I have been silenced!!!!!!!!!" cartoon. It's just so....boring.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

"Bum Rush Hour"

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

"Bum Rush Hour"

Is this scene supposed to be that the cyclist is passing the car on the right while occupying the same lane, rather than any kind of bike lane? Cause that does seem like bad behavior on the part of the wicked latte-sipping bike rider, which is weird for Kelly.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

A lot of places don't actually have bike lanes

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

drunkencarp posted:

Is this scene supposed to be that the cyclist is passing the car on the right while occupying the same lane, rather than any kind of bike lane? Cause that does seem like bad behavior on the part of the wicked latte-sipping bike rider, which is weird for Kelly.

Yes, and it was very unreasonable when the cop in the kelly cartoon arrested the innocent all american man for having just one tiny sip of alcohol before driving, too. Kelly is definitely a 100% reliable narrator and there are no clues like "the other driver is honking for some reason" for the reader to pick up on

Have you ever ridden a bike in traffic, or even watched how drivers interact with cyclists?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Tory cabinet's Good Friday plans – As the Easter bank holiday begins, it has been an eventful week in politics after the publication of No 10’s race report, protests in Bristol and a report into the policing of the vigil at Clapham Common"

Independent:

Boris Johnson backs domestic Covid passports as pilot events are planned After Luca Giordano.

The i paper:

Times:

Keir Starmer: one year in, Labour leader's popularity has plunged

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... vaccine passports

'Hang on – THIS wasn't on Boris's road map'.

Stephen Collins:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Space Gopher posted:

Have you ever ridden a bike in traffic, or even watched how drivers interact with cyclists?
Yeah that is absolutely someone passing the bike like it's not even there.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I dont know posted:

That is not true in some states. You just get a new sticker mailed to you after submitting an online form.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shugojin posted:

I saw someone explain what he did that has them mad as "Be gay blackly" and that seems pretty succinct :shrug:

It's also a song about how doing drugs and alcohol is bad:

quote:

Lookin' at the table, all I see is weed and white
Baby, you livin' the life, but nigga, you ain't living right
Cocaine and drinking wit' your friends
You live in the dark, boy, I cannot pretend

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

The worst part of "cancel culture" being taken up as a right-wing talking point is that Cancel Culture is a real and terrible thing, but it's something these smarmy fucks will never experience even fifthhand. It happens within Extremely Online leftish spaces, and it's mostly the settling of personal grudges by directing harassment at people through anonymous allegations of pedophilia and the like. Kiwifarms and Encyclopedia Dramatica like to get involved.

Cancel Culture as it is actually practiced doesn't involve deplatforming ("I have been silenced!"), it involves suicide baiting and sending death and rape threats to mostly women and queer creators.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I remember 2 years ago when leftists cancelled Contrapoints over the whole Buck Angel thing and she was never ever heard from ever again?

Seriously though. When Colin Kaepernick gets banned from an entire league of sports that he practised for his entire life because he supported human rights against the rich and powerful. That's cancel culture.

That Monica Lewinsky becomes persona non grata in the entire political system for the rest of her life because a president sexually abused her when she was in her 20s. That's cancel culture.

Leftists don't have the power to cancel poo poo. Every single person leftists cancelled became even more rich and influential as a result.

Katt fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 3, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Terrible Opinions posted:

That is not true in some states. You just get a new sticker mailed to you after submitting an online form.

Some states don't even require a sticker. This was a huge problem when I was stationed in Norfolk in the Navy around 2000, because a friend of mine was from Illinois which (at least at the time) didn't require state inspections at all, and the guys guarding the entrance gave him poo poo for it. The base policy at the time was apparently that even if you had a car with out of state plates, you had to have a state inspection sticker, and if the state your car was from didn't require them, you had to get a Virginia state inspection.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

drunkencarp posted:

Is this scene supposed to be that the cyclist is passing the car on the right while occupying the same lane,

Given the average speed of a bike vs a car, which one do you think is passing the other?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I'm glad that Sickos has a bike.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

gently caress you and your half-rear end justifications for Jim Crow, wife beater.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Did you know that advocating for racial justice actually hurts POC? It's that "America when we don't talk about race" Kelly except unironic.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

gently caress it, sign me up for the Tire Pile Party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Whoa there... are you all telling me that this guy doesn't actually speak for African-Americans in Georgia?