Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sharkitten posted:

Large rooms are still the worst thing that was ever added to Isaac

God help you if you get no damage as well

Apparently it's been like this since Afterbirth and I never noticed, but getting 2 bars of charge for your items from large rooms makes them worth it sometimes. Speaking of charges, it's funny they added all these ways to curb exploits and "going infinite" and then added an item that lets your items charge from dealing damage to enemies. Absolutely begging to be abused, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I feel deeply confident that while a lot of old breaks have been taped over, there's going to be a tidal wave of unprecedented new ones from countless interactions they could never test for

and then people will mod in all the old breaks too

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Vegastar posted:

What sucks is I can clear phase one fine, and have enough flies to clear phase two, but then I’m hosed for three because I’m out of flies and have to touch him with the tear which then insta crashes. Same if any of the smaller worm spawns touch it.

Might just wait for another hot fix or two to go out.

you could tweet at nicalis or post it in the subreddit. the more info they have for patching the better

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

goferchan posted:

Apparently it's been like this since Afterbirth and I never noticed, but getting 2 bars of charge for your items from large rooms makes them worth it sometimes. Speaking of charges, it's funny they added all these ways to curb exploits and "going infinite" and then added an item that lets your items charge from dealing damage to enemies. Absolutely begging to be abused, lol.

charge from damaging enemies? you dont mean jumper cables right? thats every like 12 kills or smth and has been in since i believe afterbirth. unless they added *another* item like that in rep.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

curse of the tower is a little better now after all. curse of the tower + sad bombs + ipecac though...now thats rough. did not complete that run

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

ArfJason posted:

charge from damaging enemies? you dont mean jumper cables right? thats every like 12 kills or smth and has been in since i believe afterbirth. unless they added *another* item like that in rep.

4.5 Volt. It's a new item in the shop pool that disables battery charges from room clear, but instead you get charge based on damage to enemies. It's completely stupid against the tanky end bosses, because you get a ton of battery just from hitting them with your tears

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

ArfJason posted:

you could tweet at nicalis or post it in the subreddit. the more info they have for patching the better

I emailed them all the crash dumps. I finally managed to make it out after an hour of trying but then it just crashes on the final boss too.

Don’t take things that spawn a fuckton of tears I guess.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

psyfly is the new meta

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
i did it! i beat the final boss, firs try too (had a sick build). lol that after all his aspirations from hush, mega satan and delirium, ed finally answered to what was within him and made a boss that's just flat out a shmup

also, about the ending i cant explain how relieved i am that after like 10 years, isaac finally has a happy ending. It probably goes against the nihilistic tone the games have had up until now, but in a way its like a tremendous amount of catharsis. that is, if i interpreted it correctly

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
reading up the wiki and whoops i didnt use the red key (i was afraid it'd do something too wacky) and didnt unlock Alt Isaac. goddamnit

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010
So I just discovered some that one of the few things more powerful than a brimstone/haemolacria/chocolate milk run is an xl floor appearing at any point in your run because it will soft-lock you in the boss room on the "ascent". God drat it I thought I'd learned by AB+ to not play these updates until at least a month or two after release so the most egregious bugs/wonky hit-boxes/non-functioning mechanics get fixed, but I guess I forgot

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The last two bosses are both incredibly cool, and critically not super tanks with double boss armor or whatever the gently caress is going on with Hush and Delirium.

The second-to-last boss might be one of the best boss fights I've seen in a video game. I can't believe how much content they put behind really obfuscated paths that 99% of players will never see.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ArfJason posted:

also, about the ending i cant explain how relieved i am that after like 10 years, isaac finally has a happy ending. It probably goes against the nihilistic tone the games have had up until now, but in a way its like a tremendous amount of catharsis. that is, if i interpreted it correctly

what hosed with me was

Go back to the original Isaac flash intro. It's just been there from the very start ten years back; it's just some kid's stories. It kind of hit me harder than I thought something from this game ever would, especially the narrator's sudden tone shift.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Shoop Da Woop is pretty funny with Bethany, I mostly killed Mother with it by firing it 19 times in a row.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

How are people getting the new credits music in their games? Mine still plays the same old credits music from Rebirth even though I've beaten all the final bosses.

PostNouveau posted:

The last two bosses are both incredibly cool, and critically not super tanks with double boss armor or whatever the gently caress is going on with Hush and Delirium.

The second-to-last boss might be one of the best boss fights I've seen in a video game. I can't believe how much content they put behind really obfuscated paths that 99% of players will never see.

Dogma is maybe my favorite boss design in the game now, it's so cool and different aesthetically and the atmosphere of the fight is brilliant, and its moveset is really unique.
They held absolutely nothing back for this expansion

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 3, 2021

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

goferchan posted:

ArfJason posted:

4.5volt, as goferchan posted in another post, i feel it's sort of balanced by the fact that you no longer get actual charges on room clears so small rooms end up usually giving you less than a single charge

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Oh i got that item but had no idea what it did

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

Dogma is maybe my favorite boss design in the game now, it's so cool and different aesthetically and the atmosphere of the fight is brilliant, and its moveset is really unique.
They held absolutely nothing back for this expansion

Yeah that's the one I was talking about. It's astounding

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Black August posted:

what hosed with me was

Go back to the original Isaac flash intro. It's just been there from the very start ten years back; it's just some kid's stories. It kind of hit me harder than I thought something from this game ever would, especially the narrator's sudden tone shift.

Thats been pretty established by the other endings and how many of them seem to contradict each other, so to me that part has been par for the course for the last however many years its been. Someone wrote an essay about the way games can tell stories, focusing on isaac, and how it does so on 3 levels which i thought was really cool.
If you seen the bumbo ending some of the stuff that was hinted at through items and other endings was made explicit, and with the latest ending it seems to flip a bunch of things on its head regarding what is real and what is isaac just telling a story

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
With Bethany if you use the portable slot machine, and win a key you can walk your orbital key into a door or chest to open it.

Worked on Mega Satan's door for me, which seems like an oversight.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Malcolm Excellent posted:

With Bethany if you use the portable slot machine, and win a key you can walk your orbital key into a door or chest to open it.

Worked on Mega Satan's door for me, which seems like an oversight.
I wonder if you can use the broken lockpad to open the door to mega satan or the post-mausoleum floor? It works with the strange door in the depths, one bomb and I could keep my loot from mom

Augus posted:

The only bad thing about that fight is Isaacs initial spawn position versus the camera and the boss. If you move up ASAP or stand still, you get hit by the boss before you can see what's going on.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Some of the interactions seem kind of arbitrary. Like, floor 1 I got Ipecac, then Dr. Fetus on floor 2. That's great because it makes me immune to my own explosions and the Fetus bombs just blow up whenever they hit something instead of waiting. Good stuff. But later on I got Tech X and uh...anything touching the laser ring caused a bomb explosion - one I wasn't immune to. And I mean anything: a rock, a non-destroyable thing, or even the edge of the drat room. Shooting a tear/bomb while I was within a block's width of a wall behind me caused an explosion because the tech ring was wider than Isaac. I did so much self damage because of those secondary explosions and it felt like a real oversight.

Despite that, I got through Mausoleum for the first time because the damage was just plain crazy and I was getting way more health drops than I should've. Fun run, just...weird.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Psychedelicatessen posted:

I wonder if you can use the broken lockpad to open the door to mega satan or the post-mausoleum floor? It works with the strange door in the depths, one bomb and I could keep my loot from mom

The only bad thing about that fight is Isaacs initial spawn position versus the camera and the boss. If you move up ASAP or stand still, you get hit by the boss before you can see what's going on.

Yeah, this is the one stain on an otherwise perfect and super cool boss fight. I’m really happy this is the note they decided to go out on, it still needs some balance work and bug fixing but the bones of it are fantastic.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
i forgot to mention this: I am both the dumbest motherfucker alive and the world's wisest man.

Since I beat the beast but didnt unlock alt isaac, i decide to go for it. I get to depths, have a pretty sick build, full soul heart hp, etc, and get the fool card from the marked skull. Since i have some of the floor left to explore i decide to do so, and after entering the curse room i teleport out, forgetting why i have the fool card in the first place. I get another card and im like "wait, where did my fool go.... ooooh gently caress". I slap my forehead and sit there for a bit before noticing I have 9 lives. I already beat the beast so losing all my soul hearts and respawning with just 1 heart means nothing. I hurt myself a bit on the curse room door, and kill mom. I take the polaroid, bomb myself to death, and respawn outside.

I make it throught the ascensions and finally unlock alt isaac.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ArfJason posted:

i forgot to mention this: I am both the dumbest motherfucker alive and the world's wisest man.

Since I beat the beast but didnt unlock alt isaac, i decide to go for it. I get to depths, have a pretty sick build, full soul heart hp, etc, and get the fool card from the marked skull. Since i have some of the floor left to explore i decide to do so, and after entering the curse room i teleport out, forgetting why i have the fool card in the first place. I get another card and im like "wait, where did my fool go.... ooooh gently caress". I slap my forehead and sit there for a bit before noticing I have 9 lives. I already beat the beast so losing all my soul hearts and respawning with just 1 heart means nothing. I hurt myself a bit on the curse room door, and kill mom. I take the polaroid, bomb myself to death, and respawn outside.

I make it throught the ascensions and finally unlock alt isaac.

Things like this is what makes this game the GOAT of roguelikes

Also I just got the final true ending as well. It was nice :unsmith:

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

I'm having trouble getting the second knife piece out of it's challenge area. I've only made it out one in maybe 7-8 tries. I have no idea hour to evade in the smaller rooms because of how large the enemy hitbox is. The only time I made it through was thanks to the wafer and 7 heart containers. Any tips?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
The hitbox is actually super small. You gotta get more confident in juking the angle. Ive done it like 10 times and for some reason i imagined it was an instakill until i finally got hit my last attempt and it only did half a heart.
How i feel it behaves: it wont do the lunge immediately once youre close, nor will it do it if its fae away.
After a bit of time and once youre close, itll do the lunge. If you stay close as soon as it comes back it wont do the lunge for a bit so it can close in on you and hit you. My advice is to always try to keep a distance from it, and after a couple seconds then go near it at an angle that is helpful. Its better for you to set the terms than letting it do it. On tight spaces its sometimes better to go back where you came in from so as to put some distance, stay on one side and bait the attack and move to the other side. Take into account that that when it growls it hasnt yet set its angle of attack, so dont swerve too early. You get a lot more leeway than you think with the hitbox

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I struggled as well but I don't think the hit box is as large as the sprite, I found if I'm moving up or down just as it's about to hit me I don't take damage.

I actually just did it for the first time then died to The Scourge, that boss seems tough

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 3, 2021

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah the hitbox is really forgiving and its behavior is extremely predictable. For each room just angle yourself into a corner somewhere and wait for it to lunge at you so you have some time to advance. The key is not getting too greedy with each move forwards before the monster is ready to lunge at you again. If you take your time with it it's real easy

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

also
i now get this post and jfc :smithicide:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I noticed the silhouette ultra Harbingers do a little animation in the background when it's their turn.
Famine is hyped up and ready to kill, Pestilence is disappointed in Famine's failure, War gets pissed off when Pestilence dies and right before Death is up, he facepalms

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Went back and listened to Danny's tunes and it's such a goddamn travesty we lost him :smith:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Sharkitten posted:

Went back and listened to Danny's tunes and it's such a goddamn travesty we lost him :smith:

you think this is bad imagine the poor suckers who played super meat boy on ps4/vita

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Finally, I did it, Delirium beaten with the Lost. Turns out all I needed was to get Dead Cat and Guppy's Collar on the first Devil Room, giving me 9+ lives minimum :v: (That and Stopwatch to activate easy mode if I get hit).

Surprisingly the MVP of the run was Angry Fly, since it dealt constant damage against Hush and most forms of Delirium. Also got Blank Card early on but literally no Jera runes until the Void, which would have made things much faster.

Now that I've gotten Godhead I can finally ignore Hard Mode until I do literally everything else and buy Repentance since it won't force me to reunlock Godhead by doing the new completition marks in Hard Mode.

....right? :ohdear:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I didn't really play much after Afterbirth+ so I missed out all the booster pack stuff, including The Forgotten, so I decided to try to unlock it. All the guides online say getting pyromaniac or host hat makes it trivial since they make you immune to the stomps, and after a couple fruitless runs I luck out and get a host hat in the first floor treasure room. I'm extremely happy, grab the shovel handle, sit there just wanting to bask in the stompy feet... And take damage. Looking it up, apparently stomps no longer count as explosions in Repentance. Thus, I curse Edmund. I curse him with all my heart and soul.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Hey at least it wasnt ab+ on release. That poo poo put me off playing isaac for like 2 years lol

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Hey how are folks liking the new stuff? It's still a ways off for me since I play on my Switch, but I'm super excited for everyone that's playing it now. It's such an exciting time - new monhun and more Isaac on the way!!

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
Played like 10 runs and lost them all and have unlocked nothing, and all I'm trying to do is beat the Hush two more times to actually get to the new poo poo.

But the runs just keep being trash, I dunno. Maybe I'm at the perfect intersection on my save file of having a bunch of garbage unlocked and none of the good items, but in ten runs I've gotten two damage ups - Jesus Juice and the Stapler. Each just once.

I tend to slog out right around Womb I and it just feels so tedious.

So, same ol Isaac I guess. Bleh. Might be it for me, but hey, at least a few content creators I like will show me the new poo poo.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Finally, I did it, Delirium beaten with the Lost. Turns out all I needed was to get Dead Cat and Guppy's Collar on the first Devil Room, giving me 9+ lives minimum :v: (That and Stopwatch to activate easy mode if I get hit).

Surprisingly the MVP of the run was Angry Fly, since it dealt constant damage against Hush and most forms of Delirium. Also got Blank Card early on but literally no Jera runes until the Void, which would have made things much faster.

Now that I've gotten Godhead I can finally ignore Hard Mode until I do literally everything else and buy Repentance since it won't force me to reunlock Godhead by doing the new completition marks in Hard Mode.

....right? :ohdear:
I never bought AB until Repentence came out. I installed AB+Repentence a few days ago and killed Delirium for the first time, and I was using Godhead. So unlocked items should remain unlocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's a lot of cool new stuff in the new expansion but both of the new characters (that you unlock initially) are all about managing horrible hitboxes in a way that's really not fun for me. Maybe I should just ignore them for a while and try and do the new content with the old characters.