Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I'm not convinced loving AT ALL he did it for the right reason. I guarantee you there were sponsors contacting MLB and telling them to get the hell out of Georgia or we are out. Just like Washington and FedEx. The sponsors just didn't have to make it public before it happening. $$$ rules.

chilihead posted:

I don't believe this at all.No way there was that much advertising behemoths like the NFL with Colin. This was from the players union and the players. I honestly believe this and if i'm wrong the change in the last few years is amazing.

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?
Wow, huge Braves fan here. I think they should have kept the game in Atlanta and made it into a issue while in Georgia. Fight the fight from inside the state.
I don't mind being a target here, but this decision was made too quickly. I am a current liberal,Democratic voter deeply concerned about voters rights and Georgia, even though i live in Florida. Not that it matters where i'm from or that i'm ethnic, multi-racial, i'm American. I care, i'm not going to just spout out keep politics out of sports. I literally spent 4 years arguing with friends why kneeling didn't disrespect your grandfather fighting in WW2. It's exhausting.

I keep asking myself, am i upset as a Braves or baseball fan? No i think i'm upset because they could have done a million different things while keeping the game in Atlanta. Boycotts usually work because they are hitting people in the pocketbook. So what, corporate sponsors threatened MLB? Who is getting hurt here? I honestly cannot fathom sponsors pulling funds from MLB as the real incentive here, especially if they all worked together to make that game mean something for Voters rights.
Big loss for Atlanta, i think in time it will be seen this way.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Thanks for that i was wrong., See my post was what happens when you act too quickly. I literally know people working inside MLB today and if i had thought a few more minutes i would have seen how this is the last thing they wanted. Manfred had months to figure out a correct call to action. Why does it always have to be scorched earth in everything now? I realize how bad this poo poo is i live in Florida. We have something like 52 counties that steal the vote from the majority in every election and elect people like Gaetz and Scott. I get it, oh lord do i understand. Still upset because i think this will hurt the cause.

chilihead fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 3, 2021

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Austin Meadows on track for 162 dingers and the Rays on track for 162 wins :whatup:

I get vaxxed today and I’m excited to finally be able to go to that Wrigley Field place that everyone keeps talking about here, even if the Cubs are a toilet of a franchise. The Rays play the White Sox in June, just in time for my birthday too :unsmith:

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

chilihead posted:

Thanks for that i was wrong., See my post was what happens when you act too quickly. I literally know people working inside MLB today and if i had thought a few more minutes i would have seen how this is the last thing they wanted. Manfred had months to figure out a correct call to action. Why does it always have to be scorched earth in everything now? I realize how bad this poo poo is i live in Florida. We have something like 52 counties that steal the vote from the majority in every election and elect people like Gaetz and Scott. I get it, oh lord do i understand. Still upset because i think this will hurt the cause.

What.. I really don't understands how this 'hurts the cause', the law is passed and it is done, republicans aren't suddenly going to go back on it. The actual voting changes are what 'hurts the cause'. MLB did the right thing in not associating itself with this, it's surely a corporate money move for them, but it's not bad for baseball or georgia or any of that nonsense. it's probably best for the state and the 'local community' (lol) since it won't turn into a super spreader event. It surely is bad for the braves given their terrible statement though.

Either way my fandom for this asinine racist team has waned considerably in the last few years. I go to less and less games every year and given i live in the state without cable it's too much work to get around the blackout rules to watch them regularly. I probably watch more angels games every year at this point, and if they could figure out what pitching is I'd probably give up on the braves entirely. It probably would of already happened if it wasn't for Acuna and Albies. It's just so sad how racist and terrible the braves organization is and as time goes on it just becomes harder and harder to ignore.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Bad year for conservatives to boycott baseball when they’re still paying for their RSNs through their cable subscriptions and parks are at such reduced capacity all the seats will still get filled.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

They won’t boycott poo poo, they’re soft babies that can’t live without their comforts and distractions.

They couldn’t handle two months without Applebee’s here without pitching an epic shitfit.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Broadly though, actions like this help give political cover to say "the nation demands it" when the Democrats in the Senate vote to limit the filibuster and push through a national voting rights act sometime between now and the 2022 congressional elections. And about goddamn time, too.

Anyway, it was great to see my White Sox get the bats going last night. And Mercedes going 5 for 5 in his first MLB game? Holy poo poo! I doubt he can keep up anything close to that pace, but if he can hit consistently we may not miss Eloy as much as we thought we would!

Gotta work on that defense, though. Bad defense arguably cost us the season opener, and it made the second game closer than it needed to be. I hope they can get that poo poo fixed right quick.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

There's also the unfortunate fact that corporations are the ones that our congresspeople listen to so hopefully them not wanting to be associated with garbage voter suppression means they'll lobby to fix it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man I missed listening to the O's game on my way home from work and flipping between two or three games at night. I'm just so glad baseball is back :unsmith:

Real bummed Thorne isn't in the booth anymore though. The radio broadcast team is pretty unremarkable now too.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1378333941946404870

MLB is going to lose a lot of money over this. I wonder if Manfred knew what he was doing when he made the decision. It's possible he didn't and he's just an idiot which I think is more likely than that he was actually doing something morally courageous that he knew was going to cost him money.
Money is the reason they made the decision. Baseball will be fine.

https://twitter.com/hbryant42/status/1378123941835911168?s=21

efb

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

chamois posted:

i live in east atlanta and it would take me maybe 1.5 hours longer to get to camden yards than it would to get to trurist park lets do this

I like the cut of your jib, sailor!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Barves fan and Nats fan agree baseball dumb, news at 11.

(oh man i hope you are for this joke to work!)

Apr 7, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Money is the reason they made the decision. Baseball will be fine.

https://twitter.com/hbryant42/status/1378123941835911168?s=21

efb

Literally everything our big wet boy has told his fanbase to boycott has actually done better after the fact.

Nike, the NFL, etc.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
Yeah it's almost like the culture war is never supposed to end, and corporations have realized very clearly that it's very often to their advantage to take advantage of that fact.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Reminder that in response to the Dr Seuss company voluntarily taking a few obscure books out of print Republicans raced to reward them by buying out their entire stocks of every book they’ve ever made almost surely giving them their most profitable year ever.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

pigz posted:

What.. I really don't understands how this 'hurts the cause', the law is passed and it is done, republicans aren't suddenly going to go back on it. The actual voting changes are what 'hurts the cause'. MLB did the right thing in not associating itself with this, it's surely a corporate money move for them, but it's not bad for baseball or georgia or any of that nonsense. it's probably best for the state and the 'local community' (lol) since it won't turn into a super spreader event. It surely is bad for the braves given their terrible statement though.

Either way my fandom for this asinine racist team has waned considerably in the last few years. I go to less and less games every year and given i live in the state without cable it's too much work to get around the blackout rules to watch them regularly. I probably watch more angels games every year at this point, and if they could figure out what pitching is I'd probably give up on the braves entirely. It probably would of already happened if it wasn't for Acuna and Albies. It's just so sad how racist and terrible the braves organization is and as time goes on it just becomes harder and harder to ignore.

This is a dumb take but contains all the buzzwords used by most slanted websites. Racist,asinine,terrible. My whole point is Georgia voters are the people who need to act and be worried about this and it could really hurt that base. Better to keep the game in GEORGIA and really strive to make change instead of make it a talking point like this person. Georgia politicians were able to make this change based on propaganda which this will only fuel. Your major disagreement will not change rural areas to enlightened voters. You probably believe in what you are saying but your anger is displaced. This could really turn voters off where a grassroots effort surrounding the game can make a difference. Didn't we just witness this two months ago. Go ahead get angry but think about it people.

Apr 7, 2003

Can’t do anything about the Jim Crow law because it might make the Georgia legislature even more racist. Best to just give in.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

chilihead posted:

This is a dumb take but contains all the buzzwords used by most slanted websites. Racist,asinine,terrible. My whole point is Georgia voters are the people who need to act and be worried about this and it could really hurt that base. Better to keep the game in GEORGIA and really strive to make change instead of make it a talking point like this person. Georgia politicians were able to make this change based on propaganda which this will only fuel. Your major disagreement will not change rural areas to enlightened voters. You probably believe in what you are saying but your anger is displaced. This could really turn voters off where a grassroots effort surrounding the game can make a difference. Didn't we just witness this two months ago. Go ahead get angry but think about it people.

This isn’t meant to change the minds of racist yokels. It’s meant to stop the laws that will make it effectively impossible for non racist yokels to ever win an election again.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

chilihead posted:

See the Democrats in 2016 for how this strategy turns out.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

For what it's worth, Stacey Abrams, while completely in favor of the sentiment around voting restrictions on display, has implored people NOT to boycott the state because she feels it would hurt working-class disadvantaged minorities the most.

I have no confident opinion here, I don't know Atlanta politics, I'm not going to say what the right thing to do is, but Abrams is as much of a Democratic voting-access rights activist as there is in American politics and she takes the position that boycotting would only make things worse for the very people we want to protect. Some food for thought there.

EDIT: I should add, what she proposes is support of legislation currently being drawn up in Congress, and supports activism in helping people who need ID's get them.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This isn’t meant to change the minds of racist yokels. It’s meant to stop the laws that will make it effectively impossible for non racist yokels to ever win an election again.

And I agree with this. Wholesale. How will this help actual change? This is coming from the heart. Explain it to me I'm stupid. Better to keep it in Goergia. It's super easy to agree on this poo poo on the internet

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/MLBastian/status/1378374842383273988

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

fawning deference posted:

For what it's worth, Stacey Abrams, while completely in favor of the sentiment around voting restrictions on display, has implored people NOT to boycott the state because she feels it would hurt working-class disadvantaged minorities the most.

I have no confident opinion here, I don't know Atlanta politics, I'm not going to say what the right thing to do is, but Abrams is as much of a Democratic voting-access rights activist as there is in American politics and she takes the position that boycotting would only make things worse for the very people we want to protect. Some food for thought there.

EDIT: I should add, what she proposes is support of legislation currently being drawn up in Congress, and supports activism in helping people who need ID's get them.

She and Warnock need to hedge their bets in public because coming out and saying “it’s good that our economy is gonna take a hit” is dumb politics. Instead they’re taking the road of saying it sucks that companies are doing this but the Republicans and their racist bullshit forced their hand.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The history of these things indicates that if Georgia fixes their bigoted law then they will immediately be given the next available All-Star Game. Happened with the Super Bowl when Arizona refused to acknowledge MLK Day for a while, happened in North Carolina with the ACC/NCAA Championships over their transphobic poo poo. Just sort it out.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

I think I'm still on edge from the Maddon years and was afraid Ross was going to voice his disapproval, this is refreshing to hear from a Cubs manager.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

chilihead posted:

NC changed their anti trans bathroom bill because of economic pressure like the NBA moving the all star game. This is a national issue, not a Georgia issue.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

chilihead posted:

And I agree with this. Wholesale. How will this help actual change? This is coming from the heart. Explain it to me I'm stupid. Better to keep it in Goergia. It's super easy to agree on this poo poo on the internet

Arizona refused 3 times to recognize Martin Luther King Day, so the NFL pulled the Super Bowl.

The very next year, Arizona voted and went 'yes recognize Martin Luther King Day'.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Popete posted:

I think I'm still on edge from the Maddon years and was afraid Ross was going to voice his disapproval, this is refreshing to hear from a Cubs manager.

yea, hiring ross was easily the best move the team's made in years. i don't know why everyone fretted over it when it happened? it made perfect sense.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

chilihead posted:

Making the state of Georgia a pariah in the eyes of the nation is more effective at putting national pressure on the state to fix their poo poo or else. It also signals that the good guys trying to fight against Republican bullshit have the backing of big business which is important in a Realpolitik world.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

chilihead posted:

Wow, huge Braves fan here. I think they should have kept the game in Atlanta and made it into a issue while in Georgia. Fight the fight from inside the state.
I don't mind being a target here, but this decision was made too quickly. I am a current liberal,Democratic voter deeply concerned about voters rights and Georgia, even though i live in Florida. Not that it matters where i'm from or that i'm ethnic, multi-racial, i'm American. I care, i'm not going to just spout out keep politics out of sports. I literally spent 4 years arguing with friends why kneeling didn't disrespect your grandfather fighting in WW2. It's exhausting.

I keep asking myself, am i upset as a Braves or baseball fan? No i think i'm upset because they could have done a million different things while keeping the game in Atlanta. Boycotts usually work because they are hitting people in the pocketbook. So what, corporate sponsors threatened MLB? Who is getting hurt here? I honestly cannot fathom sponsors pulling funds from MLB as the real incentive here, especially if they all worked together to make that game mean something for Voters rights.
Big loss for Atlanta, i think in time it will be seen this way.

Do you think anyone would be talking about this as much nationally are they are now if they didn't move the game?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

chilihead posted:

This is a dumb take

turn your monitor on

e: for content: boycotts are meant to hurt people, that's why they're effective. some of the people this will hurt are minority and/or poor, and that's unfortunate, but the reality is that laws like this that restrict people's voting options are going to hurt them way more in the long-term than their businesses losing a busy week's take

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 3, 2021

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

She and Warnock need to hedge their bets in public because coming out and saying “it’s good that our economy is gonna take a hit” is dumb politics. Instead they’re taking the road of saying it sucks that companies are doing this but the Republicans and their racist bullshit forced their hand.

I think maybe Abrams is just being honest about what she thinks. She's never shied away from doing so before. It's not unreasonable to think that she really does believe disadvantaged minorities take the brunt of an economic hit and that there is a better way to fight for the cause.

Again, I am not the person to look to for what is the correct thing to do, I just thought I would bring up Abrams' position to make the conversation more interesting, because I don't think it's so cut-and-dried obvious that boycotting is the right thing to do here. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I don't know.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

chilihead posted:

It's not going to change but that is just because voter suppression and disenfranchisement is the Republicans' main political strategy to hold on to minority rule.

fawning deference posted:

I think maybe Abrams is just being honest about what she thinks. She's never shied away from doing so before. It's not unreasonable to think that she really does believe disadvantaged minorities take the brunt of an economic hit and that there is a better way to fight for the cause.

Again, I am not the person to look to for what is the correct thing to do, I just thought I would bring up Abrams' position to make the conversation more interesting, because I don't think it's so cut-and-dried obvious that boycotting is the right thing to do here. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I don't know.

She wants to run for governor in 2022 and is hedging her bets, that is all.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Do you think anyone would be talking about this as much nationally are they are now if they didn't move the game?

Yes, it's a big deal. Now more people are motivated to address "cancel" culture then real issues. We don't need to change majority voters or intelligent voters. We just had a national election that showed that still works. We need to change the other vote.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

chilihead posted:

Yes, it's a big deal. Now more people are motivated to address "cancel" culture then real issues. We don't need to change majority voters or intelligent voters. We just had a national election that showed that still works. We need to change the other vote.

Chud shitheads and fox news would be whining about cancel culture no matter what MLB did with the all star game lol. The 2020 election and the GA senate races are why these laws are happening in the first place dude. The whole point is so that doesn't happen.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

turn your monitor on

e: for content: boycotts are meant to hurt people, that's why they're effective. some of the people this will hurt are minority and/or poor, and that's unfortunate, but the reality is that laws like this that restrict people's voting options are going to hurt them way more in the long-term than their businesses losing a busy week's take

Honestly the think tank on this liberal forum gets this. We need to understand that blindly following this agenda can hurt as much as it helps. And i'm out. MLB did this without thinking. that's my take as a freaking liberal.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

chilihead posted:

Calling anyone who didn't vote for your side stupid is going to hurt your chances of convincing people more than cancel culture ever will.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

chilihead posted:

First of all the claim that “now more people are motivated to address “cancel” culture than real issues” is wrong and the only reason someone would think that is if they judged it by the amount of angry people on Twitter. Also I believe your understanding of how the last election in Georgia went down is incorrect. It wasn’t about convincing the poor downtrodden unenlightened Trump supporters that they should change their vote. Because that’s impossible because they are garbage who will happily be poor if a Black person was poorer. It was actually about supercharging turnout among actual good people. These laws now make the ability to turnout like before effectively impossible. So they cannot be allowed to remain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

mcmagic posted:

It's not going to change but that is just because voter suppression and disenfranchisement is the Republicans' main political strategy to hold on to minority rule.

She wants to run for governor in 2022 and is hedging her bets, that is all.

So there is no possibility, at all, that she honestly thinks boycotting isn't the best way?

I get a little troubled by this kind of thinking. "This is OBVIOUSLY 100% the right thing to do, it's not complicated, anyone who says otherwise is a corporate shill or they're lying to get votes" even with someone as uncompromisingly themselves and as on-the-ground knowledgeable about the Georgia voting system as Abrams.

I would not propose that I am the infallible expert on this. Things are complicated and people hold a wide range of nuanced views on what the best measures are. Abrams seems to think supporting tangible legislation and doing on the ground activism is a lot better than boycotting the state and losing out on jobs for working-class minorities, and to dismiss that immediately as being not a reasonable position whatsoever to the point where the only explanation is dishonesty to win votes? Seems like confirmation bias to me.