Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I've been bouncing off hard of most games currently, but I got supremely suckered back in by this and I'm just having a great old time replaying this. I already did 2 solid playthroughs and yet I still find so many new things. This might also be the only game I have spontaneous gut laughs with, like, ever. It's just so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Has anyone written analysis of the themes and messages of DE? It's staggeringly dense with views on a wide variety of subjects, but with the way dialogue trees change based on your build, it seems just a slice is available via any given playthrough.

On top of that, the way the game is designed is also saying something. The text often gives you no correct option in a conversation, or forces you to choose between two or more unpalatable lines of thought, very different than the older style of point/click adventures it draws from.

All this creates a game that feels like it's ripe for discussion (like this thread) and analysis--has anyone found a good example of the latter?

I often find myself recommending what scott benson said about the game (here, bottom of page) as far as brief but on point meditations go. There were also some good longform reflections about the game, it's been a while but if memory serves this is quite nice

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Every time I reach the top of the furnace chimney I'm struck by a terrible sense of melancholy. The music and the truth of the curse always do me in.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
My playthrough is partially bugged. The car in the ice is a weird color and I go through the waiting with Kim, but when I try to interact with it again it just starts the whole sequence over. Can't get the stuff out of it :(

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

SubponticatePoster posted:

My playthrough is partially bugged. The car in the ice is a weird color and I go through the waiting with Kim, but when I try to interact with it again it just starts the whole sequence over. Can't get the stuff out of it :(

That seems to be pretty common on consoles from all my troubleshooting this week. I currently have a weird bug were the door to the kitchen in the Whirling in Rags is open early and I can go in, but the room doesn't light up. I can even talk to the cook early!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

nurmie posted:

I was super impressed by the scab leader voice acting actually - he's got this air of sort of monotonous, robotic menace to him that just wasn't really there before (supposedly on account of being voiced by a podcast dweeb lol). Like he now actually sounds like a guy who likes killing people, and does a fairly terrible job at hiding it. Can't wait to hear all the hosed-up war stories and the Tribunal shenanigans fully voice acted.

He's taking a bit of getting used to for me, but I haven't got to that later stuff yet. I imagine though that even once I do get to really appreciate his new voice, I will still always miss Hearing the serious tribunal lines like "Welcome to the loving reckoning!" in that dorky original voice, haha.

Overall though I am loving all the voices, (even though I do still miss OG Cuno) and even if it's taking me forever to play through the game now, it's fun to have such a leisurely playthrough and really take the time to appreciate random lines. Like while I was asking Joyce for money, I unexpectedly laughed out loud for real when it worked and Suggestion chimed in all, "You should ask for more! Toot toot, train to Money town!"

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shoehead posted:

That seems to be pretty common on consoles from all my troubleshooting this week. I currently have a weird bug were the door to the kitchen in the Whirling in Rags is open early and I can go in, but the room doesn't light up. I can even talk to the cook early!
I hope they patch it soon if it's a known issue. Your bug at least sounds somewhat useful! :v:

e: looks like they're aware and a patch is incoming, no date though.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 3, 2021

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Has anyone written analysis of the themes and messages of DE? It's staggeringly dense with views on a wide variety of subjects, but with the way dialogue trees change based on your build, it seems just a slice is available via any given playthrough.

On top of that, the way the game is designed is also saying something. The text often gives you no correct option in a conversation, or forces you to choose between two or more unpalatable lines of thought, very different than the older style of point/click adventures it draws from.

All this creates a game that feels like it's ripe for discussion (like this thread) and analysis--has anyone found a good example of the latter?

exceptional game critic noah caldwell-gervais made a pretty lengthy video on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_7ngJDbUQE

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
1) I think I locked myself out of learning Measurehead's theory and my skills are too low to punch him or jump on the roof. Is there some other way to get to the harbour or do I just need to level up?

2) How do I get to the Whirling's roof?

3) How can I open locked doors? I already have a prybar and the other thingie from the car but I can't get any of these to work (I opened a container with the prybar, I only have problem with doors)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

macabresca posted:

1) I think I locked myself out of learning Measurehead's theory and my skills are too low to punch him or jump on the roof. Is there some other way to get to the harbour or do I just need to level up?

2) How do I get to the Whirling's roof?

3) How can I open locked doors? I already have a prybar and the other thingie from the car but I can't get any of these to work (I opened a container with the prybar, I only have problem with doors)
1) Not exactly sure what you mean, if you don't have any available spaces in your Thought Cabinet, you can either forget something you've learned or buy new slots with skill points.
2) By interacting with a certain character
3) Prybars don't work on doors, you'll have to find a key or have someone let you in. The prybar's description is a bit misleading that way.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

macabresca posted:

Yeah, you can just level up and try again (and again), I needed three attempts to make the jump in this run, and in my first run I messed around and didn't get the body down until the second day. It's all good.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

1) Not exactly sure what you mean, if you don't have any available spaces in your Thought Cabinet, you can either forget something you've learned or buy new slots with skill points.

I mean I listened to his ramblings and when I got to the moment when he was about to give me the thought I opted out because Kim mentioned there was another way. I failed other checks so I came back but apparently it was a one-time only opportunity.

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, you can just level up and try again (and again), I needed three attempts to make the jump in this run, and in my first run I messed around and didn't get the body down until the second day. It's all good.

I'm already on my second day, this poor body is going to hang there until the end of times

macabresca fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 3, 2021

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Starting out on the ultraliberalism vision quest now and it honestly seems to have a decent amount of synergy with Art Cop (which I went for again this time) and Conceptualization, at least starting out. It actually seems to fit my weird charater build somewhat well, 1 INT but Conceptualization as signature skill (and raised higher through drugs and items).

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Same here. I also can't interact with the sandcastle even after speaking with Lilly multiple times. Am I missing something or is that glitching too?

I'm absolutely loving the game but between these and the frequent crashes I might have to put it on pause until it gets patched.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Yeah I can't access the sandcastle either and looking at the trophy list shows that 0% of people have the achievement for getting the full set of armor, I think it's just broken right now

E: also broken for me - the experiment in the church after you get the kids to share the space with the programmer. A cutscene starts and just doesn't end, can't even pause it or anything. I really wanted to see how that played out!

Hirsute fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 3, 2021

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Captain_Person posted:

Same here. I also can't interact with the sandcastle even after speaking with Lilly multiple times. Am I missing something or is that glitching too?

I'm absolutely loving the game but between these and the frequent crashes I might have to put it on pause until it gets patched.

Probably for the best, to be honest.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

RubberLuffy posted:

It really ultimately felt like a takedown of people who subscribe to Communist ideology but don't want to put any effort into putting it into practice, as well as gatekeeping it from people who aren't reading enough or the "correct" theory.

Spoken like someone who hasn't read any Kautsky :rolleyes:.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The ultraliberalism vision quest is pretty great.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 3, 2021

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

RubberLuffy posted:

I can do my best for the Communism one, as I'm like 99% sure it was the vision quest. It wasn't as wild as what I read about the fascism one upthread, but it has some interesting stuff. Also note it's been like 2 days since I did it and it was a lot of reading so some of the details are fuzzy

Sounds like somebody had their moment of weakness and refused to split from the revisionists. Smdh

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Randarkman posted:

The ultraliberalism vision quest is pretty great.

So is doing that how you get to talk to Sileng about net worth?

e: vv I'm just curious because I haven't picked any ultra options at all and one of my motorics skills keeps chiming in about it lol.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 4, 2021

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

UnknownMercenary posted:

So is doing that how you get to talk to Sileng about net worth?

I'll make a short post about it when I'm done. I've been grabbing screenshots.

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

I know there's been a general consensus of people not particularly loving some of the new voices but drat the Scab Leader's new VO is fantastic sounding to me. I got the option to call him out on being in Krenel, and then to show him the photo of the corpse's tattoos and I think the menace in his voice really sold the character as someone Not To Be hosed With way more than in my original playthrough.

Overall I think it was a great move recasting the chapo folks. I do miss old Cuno and old Lena but I think the new VOs still do a great job. Kim and Measurehead continue to be the best voiced characters in the game, however.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'll admit I really miss Christman as Hardy...his faltering yet insistent defiance that wilted under more direct questioning but never veered from the core of looking out for the people important to himself and union was really well portrayed by his mix of being awkward and aggressive, something that doesn't really feel like it carries over into his more "in on it" redneck drawl

every other VA change has been neutral or an improvement imho, at lease that I've run into

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I played this once pre-Final Cut as a sort of himbo harry(1/1/5/5 - all motorics/phys, no psych or intelligence skills at the start, highly recommend everyone do this at least once if only to be constantly horrified/amused at electrochemistry going off about sex and drugs). Playing basically the opposite this time and let me tell you, having your first interaction with The Necktie be fully voice acted is an experience.

I'm only partway through day 1 and so far the voices have been fine, although I turned off the narrator/skill voices pretty quickly. They weren't bad but I found them more distracting than anything. Having full Kim voice acting is great, though. :allear:

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

Haifisch posted:

I played this once pre-Final Cut as a sort of himbo harry(1/1/5/5 - all motorics/phys, no psych or intelligence skills at the start, highly recommend everyone do this at least once if only to be constantly horrified/amused at electrochemistry going off about sex and drugs). Playing basically the opposite this time and let me tell you, having your first interaction with The Necktie be fully voice acted is an experience.

I'm only partway through day 1 and so far the voices have been fine, although I turned off the narrator/skill voices pretty quickly. They weren't bad but I found them more distracting than anything. Having full Kim voice acting is great, though. :allear:

My current run is the himbo Harry run with those exact stats (except I'm a Superstar Cop so I pumped up Visual Calculus a bunch because the idea of making him a crimescene savant appeals to me). I miss my necktie friend.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Epic High Five posted:

I'll admit I really miss Christman as Hardy...his faltering yet insistent defiance that wilted under more direct questioning but never veered from the core of looking out for the people important to himself and union was really well portrayed by his mix of being awkward and aggressive, something that doesn't really feel like it carries over into his more "in on it" redneck drawl

every other VA change has been neutral or an improvement imho, at lease that I've run into

Other than Will I think all the Chapos/Dasha nailed their VA and i miss them already. Cunew also sucks.

In regards to the last page I always felt arresting Klassje is one of the most ultralib dipshit acts you could possibly pull.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

weekly font posted:

In regards to the last page I always felt arresting Klassje is one of the most ultralib dipshit acts you could possibly pull.

You're confusing ultraliberlism with moralism here. Ultraliberalism is all about the hustle.

I love how the ideology thoughts (at least ultraliberalism and communism, haven't tried the other two) have this feedback loop effect to them that rewards you for spouting your beliefs.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 4, 2021

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Epic High Five posted:

yeah im not sure it was intentional or just a lucky side-effect of christmans VA but it really came across as a perfect fit for the role

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Epic High Five posted:

I think I could get used to the new Titus voice more easily if it wasn't so quiet. His voice clips are just unnaturally low volume compared to everyone else, almost seems like a bug. Then when I'm already straining to hear him he talks so unbearably slow, he's driving me nuts :argh:

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

weekly font posted:

Other than Will I think all the Chapos/Dasha nailed their VA and i miss them already. Cunew also sucks.

There's an argument that arresting Klaasje is the only way to get her to stop throwing other people under the bus to save her own skin, I mean, if she hadn't orchestrated the whole fake hanging thing there likely would be quite a few more Hardie Boys alive. She's an extremely dangerous person. I agree that this doesn't mean she should be put to death, but I can see how someone might consider arresting her preferable to letting her move on to the next city to possibly do this whole thing again.

Also yeah Cunew is an unfortunate pale imitation of Cuno. I also noticed that for VAs that stayed the same, there seemed to be a big difference in their original recordings vs. the new ones? Like it seemed like they kept the old lines in and then just added freshly recorded new ones on top, leading to a few characters sounding like their accents changed a little from their intro lines to their main dialogue.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
OTOH something was always going to happen because Evrart needed it to

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The new Scab Leader VA really sells it when you ask him about the photo :stare:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

weekly font posted:

I know it's very easy to romanticize her for having hosed over corporate interests to the point where they're actively trying to kill her, but you have to actually look at who she actually is. She isn't a revolutionary striking a blow for the working man. She stole a treasure from the dragon's hoard and now that it's chasing her she's throwing innocent people into its jaws to slow it down. That's her role in everything. There is no escape for her. As long as she keeps running she'll be orchestrating things so that unwitting people die to cover for her. Does she deserve to die for having cost some rich people some money? No, but she's going to eventually. The people she destroys don't buy her freedom, they only buy her time. Arresting her doesn't kill her, she got herself killed a long time ago. It only lets her own decisions catch up with her.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

I know it's very easy to romanticize her for having hosed over corporate interests to the point where they're actively trying to kill her, but you have to actually look at who she actually is. She isn't a revolutionary striking a blow for the working man. She stole a treasure from the dragon's hoard and now that it's chasing her she's throwing innocent people into its jaws to slow it down. That's her role in everything. There is no escape for her. As long as she keeps running she'll be orchestrating things so that unwitting people die to cover for her. Does she deserve to die for having cost some rich people some money? No, but she's going to eventually. The people she destroys don't buy her freedom, they only buy her time. Arresting her doesn't kill her, she got herself killed a long time ago. It only lets her own decisions catch up with her.

arresting her vs letting her go is one thing, but condemning klassje means condemning harry which means missing the entire point of the game

un jour je serai de retour pres de toi

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The main thing the klassje convo always reveals is how much cop brain people have and how deeply. It sucks

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah, definitely. Although I think they kept the chapo girl - Klaasje’s va hasn’t changed has it?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Yeah, definitely. Although I think they kept the chapo girl - Klaasje’s va hasn’t changed has it?

She's recast.

No Mods No Masters posted:

The main thing the klassje convo always reveals is how much cop brain people have and how deeply. It sucks

Sounds like someone who hasn't told anyone they are THE LAW

e: Goddamnit, another soft lock Routing Soona's signal through egghead's speakers.

In general I've had this happen in dialogues when some sort of action needs to happen before the "continue" button can appear, it appears it can get stuck on that and the button will never appear. It's a bit frustrating, so far reloading and trying again has worked (which has instilled in me an instinct to quicksave before most conversations). But this is the third time I've had this happen on this scene now.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 4, 2021

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

The thing about klassje is her history has nothing to do with what actually happened to lely. She is innocent in that sense. Does her actions afterwards have repercussions? Yes. Does she deserve to die because of it? I don’t think so, and I don’t think this exact scenario is gunna happen to her again either.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Randarkman posted:

She's recast.

Sounds like someone who hasn't told anyone they are THE LAW

e: Goddamnit, another soft lock Routing Soona's signal through egghead's speakers.

In general I've had this happen in dialogues when some sort of action needs to happen before the "continue" button can appear, it appears it can get stuck on that and the button will never appear. It's a bit frustrating, so far reloading and trying again has worked (which has instilled in me an instinct to quicksave before most conversations). But this is the third time I've had this happen on this scene now.

This happened to me too, in several other places.

Still can't finish the dream on the island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

RubberLuffy posted:

I can do my best for the Communism one, as I'm like 99% sure it was the vision quest. It wasn't as wild as what I read about the fascism one upthread, but it has some interesting stuff. Also note it's been like 2 days since I did it and it was a lot of reading so some of the details are fuzzy.

Eventually, if you're really all in on Communism, you unlock a task that requires you to sniff out Communism. Literally, you have to make Perception checks to smell if Communism is nearby. This eventually leads you to a secret bookclub in the Apartments, where 2 dudes literally just read Communist theory and have driven out all the other members who wanted to read something else or broaden their horizons. They give you a book on Infra-Materialism, which if you read and start prescribing to, like I did, you can go back another day after 9pm and discuss it and show your revelations to them about it.

The thing is, Infra-Materialism is the belief that if enough people start believing in Communism, it will change the world and force Communism into reality without anything really needing to be put into practice. Literally just believing in it will change the world, requiring no actual loving effort. So anyway, I decided to go all in on this and discussed it with the two book club members, which resulted in us making a tower of matchstick boxes that we believed would stand tall without support simply through the power of belief. It collapsed 30 seconds later, but hey, it stood on its own for a bit.

It really ultimately felt like a takedown of people who subscribe to Communist ideology but don't want to put any effort into putting it into practice, as well as gatekeeping it from people who aren't reading enough or the "correct" theory.

I ended up just telling them they should let people into their club and let them read whatever they want and stop gatekeeping so loving much.

Of course, this is just how I went about it. I passed some checks because I was specced just right for it, so it might be a bit different for others.

lmao, posting on c-spam: the vision quest