Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There's a lot of cool new stuff in the new expansion but both of the new characters (that you unlock initially) are all about managing horrible hitboxes in a way that's really not fun for me. Maybe I should just ignore them for a while and try and do the new content with the old characters.

I'd encourage you to keep playing around with Bethany because I've had some great runs with her using wisps that have beneficial effects when they're destroyed, or like just now I had one with Guppy's Head which spawns little fly wisps that barely shoot at all but do insane contact damage, so you're just running into enemies to shred them and it felt great. Besides, the wisps are only half the draw for her, being able to save up soul hearts and use them to charge items at-will is a really fun character gimmick already.

Speaking of great runs, holy poo poo Psy Fly is stupid. I picked up Bot Fly a few times and thought the projectile blocking was neat, but Psy Fly is that x100. I just beat Hush taking only one hit, and that was because I forgot about his sky beam phase. (Please don't tell me there's an achievement for no-hitting him)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I'm trying to be spoiler light at the moment, but what exactly should I be trying for in for progression? I unlocked Bethany and did a few runs with her and got some unlocks, but nothing huge.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Second completion mark for Bethany, first Mega Satan kill on this save! Rarely ever get angel deals intentionally so Bethany's higher chance for them helped.

Something I've noticed since Repentance dropped: My laptop ran AB+ well and got a lil warm, but it slows down noticeably like for instance when I have two tear sprinklers going while Mega Satan fills the room with fire. I don't remember it doing that on AB+ and so I was wondering if there were any settings I could change so I don't accidentally melt my poor laptop. S'cool if not.

Now I need to try to fight Hush. Honestly not sure if I've ever cleared it before? Pretty much stuck to running Cathedral and Chest for whatever reason.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hmm i think my extra pills item turned the guaranteed fool card on the mom level to a pill

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Crackbone posted:

I'm trying to be spoiler light at the moment, but what exactly should I be trying for in for progression? I unlocked Bethany and did a few runs with her and got some unlocks, but nothing huge.

The bulk of new floors and bosses and such don't appear until you've killed Hush 3 times, I believe.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Picked up repentance this afternoon. Started a new save and got through hard runs w/ our favorite boy, maggie, and cain. Cleared two challenges. New content is solid. I like it.

AKZ fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 4, 2021

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
Switch user here, no word on our release yet right? The game has video lag sometimes with broken runs already

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Vashro posted:

Switch user here, no word on our release yet right? The game has video lag sometimes with broken runs already

supposedly there's a physical release on September 30th

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Crackbone posted:

goferchan posted:

The bulk of new floors and bosses and such don't appear until you've killed Hush 3 times, I believe.

After that...

Light spoiler: Work through the new levels. Eventually you'll find a red door that you need a specific item to open.

Medium: The item is in two pieces, scattered throughout the new levels. Investigate the unique, weird stuff you find in them.

Full: The first piece is in Downpour/Dross 2, turn into The Lost by touching the white flame and go through the mirror, then find it in the mirrorworld's item room. The second piece is in Mines/Ashpit 2 and is much easier to figure out, push the three switches throughout the stage and then hop in the minecart next to one of the switches. Fire the completed familiar at the fleshy door after you've beaten Mom at the end of Mausoleum/Gehenna, then complete this final area. With every character. :)

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

After that...

Light spoiler: Work through the new levels. Eventually you'll find a red door that you need a specific item to open.

Medium: The item is in two pieces, scattered throughout the new levels. Investigate the unique, weird stuff you find in them.

Full: The first piece is in Downpour/Dross 2, turn into The Lost by touching the white flame and go through the mirror, then find it in the mirrorworld's item room. The second piece is in Mines/Ashpit 2 and is much easier to figure out, push the three switches throughout the stage and then hop in the minecart next to one of the switches. Fire the completed familiar at the fleshy door after you've beaten Mom at the end of Mausoleum/Gehenna.

Here's the only thing that's really unobvious while leaving the rest out to figure out yourself because it's all conveyed fairly well: that weird white flame in the downpour level won't hurt you. run into it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Wow there are some really really cool "deep unlocks". Never expected a new arcade machine https://v.redd.it/zxuqxnqdzzq61

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

Wow there are some really really cool "deep unlocks". Never expected a new arcade machine https://v.redd.it/zxuqxnqdzzq61

Holy poo poo

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Holy poo poo

Yeah lol I kind of dismissed it as prerelease hype when Edmund was posting about how "It's not Isaac 2, but it's basically 1.9" but god drat he wasn't kidding. Also I'm extremely encouraged that they unnerfed tinted rocks and shops within a couple days of release; I already love the expansion but I'm glad they're open to tweaking some stuff.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anyone know why all my post-iylt notes are blank now?

Unlocks are fine but now I can't remember what I've done (aside from most everything.)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Inzombiac posted:

Unlocks are fine but now I can't remember what I've done (aside from most everything.)

Unfortunately that's just what happens when you sync your save file with your steam achievements, you get all the unlocks but your completion marks don't update.
You can use this if you want to track what objectives you still need to do for unlocks http://theriebel.de/tboirah/ (you can deselect Repentance achievements if you want to avoid spoilers)

Augus fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 4, 2021

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I found a crawlspace with a second item behind a wall, but I cannot find any way of getting to it. Seems like it was added in Repentance, the wiki has nothing. Any ideas?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Augus posted:

Unfortunately that's just what happens when you sync your save file with your steam achievements, you get all the unlocks but your completion marks don't update.
You can use this if you want to track what objectives you still need to do for unlocks http://theriebel.de/tboirah/ (you can deselect Repentance achievements if you want to avoid spoilers)

Whoa! That rules

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

goferchan posted:

Speaking of great runs, holy poo poo Psy Fly is stupid. I picked up Bot Fly a few times and thought the projectile blocking was neat, but Psy Fly is that x100. I just beat Hush taking only one hit, and that was because I forgot about his sky beam phase. (Please don't tell me there's an achievement for no-hitting him)

Both of my corpse Mom kills have been due to that little purple fucker acing his way through 90% of the garbage trying to kill me, though I guess Dry Baby helped on my Az run. It's really strong. Probably my favorite of the new drops I've had so far.

My Azaezel run was amazing, I took a ? item in an item room and it was Ludovico, then I got Proptosis the next floor and had a room-spanning death ring.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

I found a library-like room with in outer space that had an item in it called Jupiter and poison farted my way to victory. My favorite new thing so far, hahaha

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

I found a library-like room with in outer space that had an item in it called Jupiter and poison farted my way to victory. My favorite new thing so far, hahaha

Observatory, base 1% chance to appear per floor increasing by 20% for each item room you skip. You have to not open or enter the item room for it to work

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

BurritoJustice posted:

Observatory, base 1% chance to appear per floor increasing by 20% for each item room you skip. You have to not open or enter the item room for it to work

Yeah I think you have to meta-unlock it first, too, I'm assuming by picking up a certain number of divination/astrology based items overall or within a run. Got mine after picking up a crystal ball.

It's a very very cool new feature and makes you feel a lot better about skipping an item room for want of a key or whatever.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

thehoodie posted:

I found a crawlspace with a second item behind a wall, but I cannot find any way of getting to it. Seems like it was added in Repentance, the wiki has nothing. Any ideas?

There's a couple of things you can do with an item in that position, there could be more I haven't found yet

1) Black rune, Abyss and Void will all destroy it and give their usual effect
2) There's a new active item called "Stitches" in the shop, it looks like a little rag doll. You can use it to teleport anywhere in a room, even behind crawlspace walls and tall pillars. It's reusable.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
When i saw that my first thought was moving box.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

The really great thing about this is that if you're doing the new FINAL final boss, you can actually pick up all the items you skipped on your way back up, so you can ultimately have your cake and eat it too.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

ArfJason posted:

Hey at least it wasnt ab+ on release. That poo poo put me off playing isaac for like 2 years lol

same but until literally this week

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Some of the stuff that Bethany can combo with is really cool. So many individual synergies for this one active item. Personal favorite I've found so far is Shoop da Whoop.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The new final ending is good and even though I like TBoI for having a billion things to unlock I realllly hope there isn't an ending 23 or whatever.

ArfJason posted:

i did it! i beat the final boss, firs try too (had a sick build). lol that after all his aspirations from hush, mega satan and delirium, ed finally answered to what was within him and made a boss that's just flat out a shmup

also, about the ending i cant explain how relieved i am that after like 10 years, isaac finally has a happy ending. It probably goes against the nihilistic tone the games have had up until now, but in a way its like a tremendous amount of catharsis. that is, if i interpreted it correctly

I think there's a certain degree of interpretation intended for the new final ending since who knows if Isaac's dad is awful or not, or if everything was isaac being stressed over his parents divorcing or what. I like to think it's just meant to be taken as relatively hopeful.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Apr 4, 2021

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Augus posted:

Wait, so if you don't get your AB+ save correctly updated and do that you lose all completition marks?

I hope that the other method I've seen of renaming your save files to rep_ so the game reads them doesn't do that if I have problems when I buy Repentance.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Acerbatus posted:

I think there's a certain degree of interpretation intended for the new final ending since who knows if Isaac's dad is awful or not, or if everything was isaac being stressed over his parents divorcing or what. I like to think it's just meant to be taken as relatively hopeful.

If nothing else Isaac’s dad seems supportive of his imagination and trying to guide him away from painful/darker thought patterns. Whether he was a good husband or not could be in contention, but in terms of being a good father he certainly seems better than Isaac’s mother, who has become a religious monster in Isaac’s eyes based on everything (including ultimately realising the fault lies in the dogmatic television she watches).

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Wait, so if you don't get your AB+ save correctly updated and do that you lose all completition marks?

I hope that the other method I've seen of renaming your save files to rep_ so the game reads them doesn't do that if I have problems when I buy Repentance.
I had the same issue with importing my save, but that method worked perfectly for me. It kept all my completion marks and such.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

Sharkitten posted:

Went back and listened to Danny's tunes and it's such a goddamn travesty we lost him :smith:

The track for Downpour is really good but because its the most similar to Flash Isaac it makes it extremely sad, then I listened to the old soundtrack for a while and got even sadder.

The music in this is so bland comparatively still

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Acerbatus posted:

The new final ending is good and even though I like TBoI for having a billion things to unlock I realllly hope there isn't an ending 23 or whatever.

yeah. what is like a real weight off the shoulders is that all the things presented as factual events through the animated cutscene endings (the ones not in isaac's drawings) where he locks himself in the chest, suffocates, dies, is looked for by his mom after putting up a missing poster, finds him, buries him, and he is lost in purgatory forever, seem to also be something isaac imagined, because his father's final narration alludes to all of them, and he thinks thats honestly a pretty sad way to end things. After nearly a decade of nihilistic hopelessness its a bit of a betrayal (like one step removed from it was all a dream!!!) but i dunno why i was always just hoping my boy would pull through, even if it went against the tone

Lord_Magmar posted:

If nothing else Isaac’s dad seems supportive of his imagination and trying to guide him away from painful/darker thought patterns. Whether he was a good husband or not could be in contention, but in terms of being a good father he certainly seems better than Isaac’s mother, who has become a religious monster in Isaac’s eyes based on everything (including ultimately realising the fault lies in the dogmatic television she watches).

bumbo's ending made this very overt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDIeZ1JRMY0&t=241s

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 4, 2021

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
the way the voice shifts there was so cool when i first got that ending. very clever

WizWoz
Feb 22, 2007

I'm the best,
maybe
Big spoilers

I'm so glad unlocking alt characters is relatively easy and consistent. When I started up my first alt Samson run I thought "oh I get it, his hair's gone so he doesn't have his powers" and would just be a basic Isaac with a slightly worse fire rate. Two rooms in and I was having an absolute blast. Getting Isaac's heart really helped facetank things when I went into melee mode! I haven't quite worked out the alt Cain and Eve metas yet, I'll have to do more experimenting after I've unlocked the whole gang. The bag of crafting gave me the d100 on my first try, seems pretty powerful!

I've got 700 hours on rebirth, I reckon this new DLC will definitely put me over 1000.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Inzombiac posted:

Did you try hitting alt+f2 on the stats page? That’s a key combo to sync your game status to your Steam achievements since there’s an achievement for almost loving everything. Might set things back to displaying correctly for you.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Vegastar posted:

Did you try hitting alt+f2 on the stats page? That’s a key combo to sync your game status to your Steam achievements since there’s an achievement for almost loving everything. Might set things back to displaying correctly for you.
I don't get why people keep suggesting the alt+F2 thing. This method works much better:
https://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofisaac/comments/mh38hq/repentance_bug_report_thread/gswi4ht/

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

I don't get why people keep suggesting the alt+F2 thing. This method works much better:
https://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofisaac/comments/mh38hq/repentance_bug_report_thread/gswi4ht/

Probably because the alt+f2 thing has been a fix since afterbirth and save importing has always been kinda hosed in Isaac.

Didn’t know about this one, but considering they said the actual unlocks are fine and it’s just missing the post-it completion marks the alt+f2 thing makes perfect sense to try.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Came across a bug(i think) that some might want to use to their advantage before it's ever fixed. Sorry if this is already known. But I was playing Jacob&Esau just meaning to get a certain unlock, and along the way I picked up both nine lives(on esau) and guppy's collar(on jacob). Well I got to the super secret boss and of course I wasn't gonna make it but I did what I came to do so I was fine. So I went to die to it. And I just never died. I respawned over and over again with just the guppy's collar left. I was effectively immortal! Eventually I just got annoyed and quit but I did use it as some practice against one section of the fight. So that was neat.

and I dabbled in their alt after. Oh it's just Jacob and I can use this thing to bind an enemy. Kind of cool. Oh wait what is this demon thing OH GOD!! Haha! Fun stuff!

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 4, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Ending stuff:

ArfJason posted:

After nearly a decade of nihilistic hopelessness its a bit of a betrayal (like one step removed from it was all a dream!!!) but i dunno why i was always just hoping my boy would pull through, even if it went against the tone

Yeah I like how the gameplay of the ending supports it too, where if you consider things getting progressively darker and more fantastical as you descend into the womb and beyond to be a representation of Isaac getting closer to death, in this ending you reject it, and reverse course and go back up instead. I don't know if this ending is necessarily more canon than the rest, but like Dad says, after all those sad ones how about the possibility of a happy ending?

Then again, the alt characters really don't seem to imply that everything ends well, lol. Curious to see what the story is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Ah okay Edmund had something to say about the new final ending in someone’s stream Isaac is definitely still dead of abuse, the person talking to him isn’t his father but the Holy Father, God, letting Isaac see what his life could have been like having freed himself from an unsure purgatory to enter Heaven, having realised his mother truly was wrong about him being a monster and a demon (Dogma is his mother’s beliefs, the Beast his repressed self image informed by those beliefs). Personally I prefer the entire thing being Isaac and his dad working through his trauma after a custody battle involving Child Protection Services.