Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, the Cayo Perico heist just seems like a big time and resource investment that I'm not really feeling yet. I've got a (free) business that I'm mostly ignoring because I hate crate missions, a (free) cash counterfeiting operation that I'm running, and beyond that I'm mostly just running the cash and sightseer missions saving up for a fully upgraded coke lockup. After that I'll probably upgrade my gun running business in my (free) bunker and then work on buying a nightclub to consolidate it all.

I don't usually have multiple hours to play in a sitting, I generally have between 30 and mayyybe 90 minutes at a time, which is likely to get interrupted by a sad baby, and during the workday I can generally leave my poo poo running in the background while I do my real job and just take a break every hour or so to run cash.

Once you learn the heist it never changes, so it gets much faster. You can setup and finish the heist, starting from nothing, in less than an hour.

But it's good to have goals in this game. Focus on the bunker first, tbh. it's core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Is there a word for the anxiety you get when you don't wanna run cayo alone but you also don't want to coordinate or talk to people and you are also worried about being bad and causing the heist to restart several times?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

KoRMaK posted:

Is there a word for the anxiety you get when you don't wanna run cayo alone but you also don't want to coordinate or talk to people and you are also worried about being bad and causing the heist to restart several times?

The checkpointing of Cayo Perico is very forgiving when you're learning it. If you trigger the alarm anytime before you are just about to escape just die.
If you die before getting into the Compound you start at the beginning, alarms off. If you die inside the compound you restart inside the compound alarms still off. If you die escaping you start at the exit of the compound with the alarms off.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

As long as you don't pass through a checkpoint with the alarm active, it will not be active when you die and restart. You'll lose the Elite Challenge but who cares

The checkpoints are entering (through an Infiltration Point) and exiting the main compound.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

If you're OK with glitches (I'm on PC, not sure how it work on consoles), you can essentially do the Cayo Perico finale over and over which takes less than 15 minutes. If you get a good setup with the diamond or bonds and cocaine in one of the main dock cages you can then make about 1.4 million in that time.

It did take me a couple tries to get the heist and steps down and I only have an hour or so free here and there to play. Afterwards, though, I've made about 50 million in the last month or so doing the finale a couple times when I have a chance to play. It was amazing when they had the 50% bonus last month for it.

I always do the Longfin approach at the main dock, the underwater grate compound entrance and main door exit and main dock getaway. So for the setup you have to get the boat, fingerprint cloner, security code if needed for the safe or plasma cutter if it's the diamond or tequila, cutting torch and any weapon load out with silencers. It's ideal if you have cocaine available to grab at the main dock before going to the compound. When exiting the compound I take out the 1 guard by the bike then ride off the cliff edge by the North wall and either swim to the getaway boat or shoot one of the random or patrol boats going by or you can just swim away from the island.

If you don't want to do the glitch it takes about 45 to 60 minutes for it all, especially if you have the Sparrow. Unless other activities are enjoyed a whole lot more, it's really worth the cost and time to initially setup since you can make it all back super quick and much more.

Glitch:
Just after you finish the heist the completion screen for "heist complete" pops up, disconnect your internet right when your name pops up for the platinum score. Exit GTA and the Launcher to be safe, then reconnect your internet. When you log back in you'll have the heist cash on hand but the finale will still be available.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
Modder dropped 1 mil on me (kinda annoying that they can do that and you have to switch sessions, but oh well) so I... immediately bought a go-kart.

Possibly should have bought the big gently caress off submarine but go kart beep beep

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

i have had a pretty clean GTA career but since getting the sub and its guided missiles i am getting to know the naughty lobby ps4 regulars

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, the Cayo Perico heist just seems like a big time and resource investment that I'm not really feeling yet. I've got a (free) business that I'm mostly ignoring because I hate crate missions, a (free) cash counterfeiting operation that I'm running, and beyond that I'm mostly just running the cash and sightseer missions saving up for a fully upgraded coke lockup. After that I'll probably upgrade my gun running business in my (free) bunker and then work on buying a nightclub to consolidate it all.

I don't usually have multiple hours to play in a sitting, I generally have between 30 and mayyybe 90 minutes at a time, which is likely to get interrupted by a sad baby, and during the workday I can generally leave my poo poo running in the background while I do my real job and just take a break every hour or so to run cash.

When we say 'yeah it takes about 1-2 hours start to finish' that's not in one solid chunk, it's very forgiving for time.

First part is to gather intel and scope the island, total time including stealing the plane is around 10-15 minutes depending on how much you scope. Going for the quick hit(in at the sub/drain tunnel and out quickly) you really don't need to scope anything but the tower so that cuts down on time
The prep and setup portion is typically 5 missions, each taking about 5 minutes to maybe 10 if its a long distance
And then the finale realistically takes 10-15 minutes after some practice

The bunker and most businesses work on regularly timed events, so it's not too bad to build a "normal" routine for your 1-2 hour play time...
day1 - supply bunker and cash business, spin the wheel, do some heist prep
day2 - heist finale, spin the wheel, sell bunker/cash
repeat.. Something like this ends up being about 30 min of "work" and the rest of your session can be play or whatever else you trying to do, with the bonus of every other day or so you're doing the heist so you are adding over a million to your bank to finance new toys or improve businesses. Big $$ numbers may be cool but there's no real need to keep more than a few million at a time(like if your saving up for something big) since another million is just an hour away

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
The Perico heist is great and cool, but personally I still have to give it to a fully kitted out nightclub. Keep on that if it’s what you want man. Especially if you’re leaving gta running all the time.

I literally do whatever I want, all the time in the game except for an average of 15 minutes every two days where I get approximately a million dollars to sell the nightclub stuff. For passive income it can’t be beat... there’s not even that much risk: I figured you lost everything if you got blown up, but you don’t. :rockstar: must be getting soft, because I was blown up by a modder during one of my sales and only lost like 150k of my goods IIRC.

I’ve done enough white knuckle $2.2million crate sell missions to be really surprised at that.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Hmm. I had to search all over my nightclub for my terror byte, so I'm a little familiar with it, and I took a shot at the first mission (got blown up by a helpful fighter jet, can those set up missions be solo'd?), maybe I set that up next.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I've gotten a bit hooked on the GTA RP stuff. Most of what I've seen was just cringey and awkward, but there are some pretty funny characters out there. I see now why it's such a huge thing for streamers.

Mainly, I'd really enjoy some of the job activities they have in the No Pixel server, like hunting and fishing, and maybe even garbage collecting with some buddies. I guess it'd be miserable to in an Online server with missiles flying everywhere and orbital cannons, though. But some kind of in-between would be fun.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AzureSkys posted:

I've gotten a bit hooked on the GTA RP stuff. Most of what I've seen was just cringey and awkward, but there are some pretty funny characters out there. I see now why it's such a huge thing for streamers.

Mainly, I'd really enjoy some of the job activities they have in the No Pixel server, like hunting and fishing, and maybe even garbage collecting with some buddies. I guess it'd be miserable to in an Online server with missiles flying everywhere and orbital cannons, though. But some kind of in-between would be fun.

Recommendations for streamers to watch on NoPixel:

Lenny Hawk and THE SHADOWLORD (Moonmoon on Twitch)
FourTee (Crystalst on Twitch)
Khan Di'scendo and Uchiha Jones (Cyr on Twitch)
Nino Chavez (dasMEHDI on Twitch)
Gloryon (Garek on Twitch)
Ai Musori (Saairen on Twitch)
Mel Rickenbacker (Spaceboy on Twitch)
Ken-Sama (Pengwin on Twitch)
Lang Buddha (Buddha on Twitch)
Peanut (kClient on Twitch)
Randy Wrangler (PENTA on Twitch)
Roland Nelson (theLGX on Twitch)

Lenny Hawk is my favorite. Moon players a cop character that is basically a parody of the stereotypical meathead cop

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I've been banned from chat since this game was on ps3, should I just assume that ban is never getting lifted?

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

i flunked out posted:

I've been banned from chat since this game was on ps3, should I just assume that ban is never getting lifted?

lol, how did u do that, tfp? you're nice!

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

AzureSkys posted:

Oceanside rp has good admin who toe a nice line between serious rp and having fun with it. It's one of the communities that's been made by people who left doj because the rules, time commitment and inability to use other rp servers are a bit overwhelming.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check more out! Some of this stuff is absolutely hilarious and these good characters are brilliant at improv comedy. The soap opera stuff in some others is a bit much at times, though.
I've seen the character Max come up on a few streams and then caught this moment watching his stream that just slayed me.
https://twitch.tv/videos/962146836?t=19023s

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

I think the RP stuff is good for the streamers to add some variety and story telling. Plain online game it might cool to stream things like heists or funny compilations, but who tf wants to watch someone grind crates on stream for hours, or rob the Cayo for the 83st time. You would need a mighty gimmick to make that a thing

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
I haven't been playing on this server in a lil bit, but I'm whitelisted on Subversion RP. There's some pretty good roleplay, and steps are being taken to get rid of shitlords that are just there to grind money or powergame. The cops are cool there too, you can roleplay your way out of getting arrested if you get caught and you have a good enough story. Its recommended that when you put in your app for whitelisting, you don't start out as a criminal. They'd rather have folks turn to crime over the course of roleplaying. There's more than plenty of gangbangers as it is.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I really hope it chaps Rockstar's rear end that their online game is hugely popular among streamers, but only using private server mods that they've tried to block.

E: Bay Area Buggs is another good one for FivePD roleplaying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdNenXbMEeg

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 3, 2021

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzDxkZitWY8&t=15664s

This is Lenny Hawk (Moonmoon) being interviewed by CherryClaire Dimwittie (Felicia Day) about an officer's death. Five0AnthO is Tony Andrews the Chief of Police (and an actual cop IRL lmfao), and the lady cop is Olivia Copper (Hirona)

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I just quick joined a survival called "60,000$ afk free money" or something, the upshot was that all the bad guys spawned underwater and immediately drowned, so we didn't need to do anything to win. It worked, I got my money, etc, but holy poo poo it took forever, probably 20+ minutes even with the enemies just immediately all dying. I had forgotten survival was 20 waves! Those things should be five waves, ten TOPS, anything more is just endurance and cheap "ha ha you made one mistake after an hour long gun fight, you lose" bullshit. And honestly, 60k? Is that the normal survival reward? Because if so, gently caress off

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Inspector Hound posted:

I just quick joined a survival called "60,000$ afk free money" or something, the upshot was that all the bad guys spawned underwater and immediately drowned, so we didn't need to do anything to win. It worked, I got my money, etc, but holy poo poo it took forever, probably 20+ minutes even with the enemies just immediately all dying. I had forgotten survival was 20 waves! Those things should be five waves, ten TOPS, anything more is just endurance and cheap "ha ha you made one mistake after an hour long gun fight, you lose" bullshit. And honestly, 60k? Is that the normal survival reward? Because if so, gently caress off

Yeah, I played Survival twice during a double-dollar week. Both times it took a billion years to earn hardly anything.

Despite being the worst shot on GTA Online, I'm quite enjoying triple-reward Dropzone this week. In one game, both teams agreed to see what happens when both the timer and Sudden Death clock expire. Result: Both teams were declared the loser, yet both teams got a $30,000 "round winner" payout. Walked away with $175k in about twenty minutes.

Mad props to the Russian guy who drove into battle on a ride-on lawnmower, too.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Crazy. I also got a nice reminder that session that if you join a game, and it's full, it makes you reload the session and respawns you at your garage or wherever like you're just joining. I guess the upside is that you could use this unreliably to escape a pursuer or fast travel to your apartment.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

How do you find the weird loving "AFK $1 MILLION" races and custom modes, anyway?

I feel like I've never known how to do that properly.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

In my experience you find them by hanging out doing whatever in free roam until a russian guy randomly invites you to them

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean if you want to grind money without actually playing the game, that's what the nightclub and Uncle Bogdan is for.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I was just joining different match types through my phone, getting owned over and over racing and even parachuting and wanted to play a team game, hit survival quick job, on call

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean if you want to grind money without actually playing the game, that's what the nightclub and Uncle Bogdan is for.

I'm trying to figure out the nightclub; to sell stuff am I going to a warehouse level in the club or..?

PremiumBlend
Jun 12, 2002

We did it little buddy...

Inspector Hound posted:

I was just joining different match types through my phone, getting owned over and over racing and even parachuting and wanted to play a team game, hit survival quick job, on call

I'm trying to figure out the nightclub; to sell stuff am I going to a warehouse level in the club or..?

There are two computers in the nightclub office, one of which will have the name of your club on the screen. You use that computer to initiate sales, as well as move your technicians around to produce different products when another one gets full.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

to add to that Tony takes 10% up to a million bux but not over so u always wanna sell when its full and the more over that 1M the better.

also get the enourmous truck and fully kit it out but DO NOT put the missile launchers on the front on the roof. one or two of the dropoffs have low gates and unbreakable fences and u wont be able to complete the sale without some sort of shenanigans

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Nah nah I want to find weird custom maps

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Sleekly posted:

to add to that Tony takes 10% up to a million bux but not over so u always wanna sell when its full and the more over that 1M the better.

also get the enourmous truck and fully kit it out but DO NOT put the missile launchers on the front on the roof. one or two of the dropoffs have low gates and unbreakable fences and u wont be able to complete the sale without some sort of shenanigans

Tony does take a cut, but it's too much effort to actually maximize your nightclub sales. To break $1+m, you need to either start accumulating forgeries and weed once your cocaine, meth, and counterfeit cash has filled up and sell when everything is full (bad, because forgeries and weed are worth poo poo money and it's more profitable to just sell at this point so you can start to accumulate coke/meth/cash again), or individually sell coke/meth/cash to allow crates and guns to continue to accumulate, then finally sell all when all 5 resources are full. This is technically maximum profit, but the extra 10% you get from Tony by selling this way ends up being, like, $50k total extra cash for a minimum of I think 9 extra sells (selling Coke/Meth/Cash each time they fill up). Instead of doing 9 extra sells, you could do a single Headhunter and a Diamond Shopping and make that missing $50k in ten minutes. Just sell-all your nightclub stock when coke/meth/cash are full (every 20 hours) for the highest profit to minimum effort.

Also do not buy the Mule Custom. You should own the Speedo Custom and the Pounder Custom only. The Mule is a terrible vehicle, and you don't need it - as long as you have the Pounder, a Mule-sized sell will upgrade to the Pounder automatically. The rocket launchers on the Pounder are really annoying since they increase your vertical height by too much, blocking off a lot of low-clearance overpasses/tunnels, but you can work around them if you know the sale routes. I don't use them myself.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Every time I've accepted a Russian's race invite it's been some godawful wallride.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
Man, finally completed Cayo solo and it was fine enough, but after using the earnings to pay what I needed for the Sparrow upgrade...

Just don't get the Kosatka unless you can also get the Sparrow at time of purchase. Christ the sub is annoying without it.

Now for less involved money earning, I have a nightclub with 4 businesses & techs connected, Mob Ops and Avenger.

For best return what order should I work to:
* buying the fifth business and tech
* buying nightclub goods production upgrade
* buying Terrorbyte for vehicle I/E?

I usually do vehicle I/E with occasional selling goods, usually getting around 65-80k per sell of goods

Synonymous fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 5, 2021

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Synonymous posted:

For best return what order should I work to:
* buying the fifth business and tech
* buying nightclub goods production upgrade
* buying Terrorbyte for vehicle I/E?

Yeah, roughly that order. The Terrorbyte doesn't really help speed up I/E that much like it does crates, but you'll want to get it anyway as it's a more or less prerequisite purchase for an Oppressor MkII. I think that this point I've made more doing Terrorbyte client jobs than I ever made doing I/E, anyway.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Tony does take a cut, but it's too much effort to actually maximize your nightclub sales. To break $1+m, you need to either start accumulating forgeries and weed once your cocaine, meth, and counterfeit cash has filled up and sell when everything is full (bad, because forgeries and weed are worth poo poo money and it's more profitable to just sell at this point so you can start to accumulate coke/meth/cash again), or individually sell coke/meth/cash to allow crates and guns to continue to accumulate, then finally sell all when all 5 resources are full. This is technically maximum profit, but the extra 10% you get from Tony by selling this way ends up being, like, $50k total extra cash for a minimum of I think 9 extra sells (selling Coke/Meth/Cash each time they fill up). Instead of doing 9 extra sells, you could do a single Headhunter and a Diamond Shopping and make that missing $50k in ten minutes. Just sell-all your nightclub stock when coke/meth/cash are full (every 20 hours) for the highest profit to minimum effort.

Also do not buy the Mule Custom. You should own the Speedo Custom and the Pounder Custom only. The Mule is a terrible vehicle, and you don't need it - as long as you have the Pounder, a Mule-sized sell will upgrade to the Pounder automatically. The rocket launchers on the Pounder are really annoying since they increase your vertical height by too much, blocking off a lot of low-clearance overpasses/tunnels, but you can work around them if you know the sale routes. I don't use them myself.

I'm the guy that says gently caress even the pounder and only does the Speedo. Can do 3 sales in the time of the Pounder half the time.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I don’t mind the pounder... even with the rockets on top, you get to know which routes to take so you dont get hung up. Plus the rockets are fun. I may not be able to hit oppressors easily, but I can take out most other things with them... especially since they can’t lock on.

I will say that the atomizer is super handy to have in case you get stuck due to the floaty physics of the truck

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

The Pounder's rocket tubes clipped through obstacles for me when I had them selected as the current weapon.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

My main problem with the pounder is that it's so goddamn slow. It does look pretty neat with armor and weapons though.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Just started playing again on PS4, I haven't played since before the casino was open. You guys enlightened me to the fact that I can do Cayo solo for cash, and I would like to try. Anyone have a link to a solid guide that's not a video for what I need to do from scratch? I have about 4.4 million to get it started and need a sub and a helicopter?

Pretend I'm an absolute idiot. Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I was all excited to try out the Cayo heist. Saved up money for the stuff and everything. Then I spent the next two hours loving around with an absolutely abysmal forced stealth sequence. Turned off the game and haven't felt the urge to fire it up since. It was just so boring and lovely. I feel like I must be missing something.