Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Randarkman posted:

Can't do the Sherlock Holmes poo poo if you can't even notice stuff.

I get it to an extent, but you could make the same kind of argument for most other skills yet the game won't punish you in the same way. In another way I like it in a way because I kind of went into final cut with the theory that motorics was a dump stat if there were any, but the lack of perception is particularly, appropriately rough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Doing blue/yellow for my first run really did make me feel like a super capable detective. A regular Dick Mullen. Nothing got by me - I was too fast, I would catch it. And then analyze perfectly where it must have come from.

My purple/red playthrough, based purely on instinct and intuition was definitely a lot different.

I am still amazed at how much fun they both were though. How much fun EVERY combination is, really.

I start my streamed audience-lead playthrough tonight, too! Finally will play the new final cut. I am so excited.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

No Mods No Masters posted:

I get it to an extent, but you could make the same kind of argument for most other skills yet the game won't punish you in the same way. In another way I like it in a way because I kind of went into final cut with the theory that motorics was a dump stat if there were any, but the lack of perception is particularly, appropriately rough

I think there are some similar points where unrelated skills gate other skills.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

In a way it kind of is, or you can actually get by pretty well, even with it being low, becasue there are many thoughts that boost skills in motorics, or raise the learning cap of motorics skills, and there's also alot of clothing that boosts skills in motorics. And then you can use speed to raise your learning cap in one of the skills by one further if you happen to need it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Maybe it sticks in the craw particularly for visual calculus because it's an unusual kind of skill that only gets a few but big and fancy places to shine. Locking you out of at least two of the what, maybe 10 tops? flashy uses for it in the game feels a little harsh. I don't feel that strongly about it but it is a little odd of a case

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
On a note for skill discrepancies it's also interesting how in the church Actually busting a move and dancing is a COMPOSURE check, despite Savoir Faire being the one narrating everything that happens afterward and even before that with Noid catching the key is a Hand/Eye Coordination check despite Reaction Speed narrating what happens next and less dramatically Stealing the raincoat is a Savoir Faire check, but Interfacing describes what happens

Similarly, you only really need 4 points in reaction speed for the vast majority of its passives, there's very few that are challenging(6 or higher base stat) or above, and perception is similar, but almost all of its passives cap at 6. On the other hand, the number of Formidable(7 or more base stat points) or higher passives for Half Light is marvelous :allears:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Half light got me murdered by the hardie boys last night, thanks half light! :thumbsup:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

sebmojo posted:

Half light got me murdered by the hardie boys last night, thanks half light! :thumbsup:

Half Light does not fail you. Only you can fail Half Light.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Maybe it sticks in the craw particularly for visual calculus because it's an unusual kind of skill that only gets a few but big and fancy places to shine. Locking you out of at least two of the what, maybe 10 tops? flashy uses for it in the game feels a little harsh. I don't feel that strongly about it but it is a little odd of a case

There seems to be at least one major synergy between each two colors (often more than one). Perception and Visual Calculus are a pretty obvious one, and I imagine that's a big reason why the game goes out of its way to make it possible to boost one or two non-prime skills. Honestly, I really like that the skills work together like that.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

What does everyone think is the worst skill? Not in terms of uselessness but in terms of leading you to the worst possible outcomes. I think Authority ..... has it by a country mile.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Ok, working out my thematically appropriate builds for Final Cut:

Intellect/Psyche/Physical/Motorics

Communist - 4/4/2/2, signature skill: Rhetoric

Moralist: 2/4/2/4, Empathy(?)

Fascist: 2/2/4/4 - Endurance

Ultraliberal: 4/2/2/4 - Savoir Faire

This seem about right? I know it doesn't really matter exactly

GlyphGryph posted:

What does everyone think is the worst skill? Not in terms of uselessness but in terms of leading you to the worst possible outcomes. I think Authority ..... has it by a country mile.

Electrochemistry. OTOH Electrochemistry is the best skill leading you to the best possible outcomes, which are the same ones.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im by the end of day 2 and loving the game, but still quite lost on how Im supposed to play

Above all, I dont know what to invest my skill points on. There are so many skills and it often seems like all of them are important. Im afraid my build was dumb and Im always worried I wont be able to advance for being unable to pass a check on some skill I never developed. So I usually hoard skill points until I come into a check I need to pass to advance the plot and use some to pass it and so on

But reading you guys talk about your builds, it seems you focus on a bunch of skills and ignore the rest, which seems more fun, for role playing reasons

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Ok, working out my thematically appropriate builds for Final Cut:

Intellect/Psyche/Physical/Motorics

Communist - 4/4/2/2, signature skill: Rhetoric

Moralist: 2/4/2/4, Empathy(?)

Fascist: 2/2/4/4 - Endurance

Ultraliberal: 4/2/2/4 - Savoir Faire

This seem about right? I know it doesn't really matter exactly

It might not seem immediately intuitive, but Conceptualization would also be a good signature skill for ultraliberal, the vision quest is all about art and there are alot of Conceptualization passives in it.

e: Though of course if you have 4 Intellect you don't really need to have Conceptualiztion tagged to get it high, I played a weird 1/5/4/2 build with Conceptualization tagged so I could put some more points into it, because I really wanted to do Art Cop again, I sort of stumbled into the ultraliberal vision quest and I ended up liking it way more than I expected to.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 5, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Randarkman posted:

It might not seem immediately intuitive, but Conceptualization would also be a good signature skill for ultraliberal, the vision quest is all about art and there are alot of Conceptualization passives in it.

Yeah, that's why I decided to beef up the Intellect stat for that one to get the synergy going. Savoir Faire is the skill who talks you about the ideology which is why I made it the signature, but you make a good point.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, that's why I decided to beef up the Intellect stat for that one to get the synergy going. Savoir Faire is the skill who talks you about the ideology which is why I made it the signature, but you make a good point.

Again, this is informed by the vision quest, and I haven't tried going into that one with generally high intellect and related skills, but I remember from my first (Communist) run that Rethoric and such are your politically aware skills, and although you want to get art you don't really want Rethoric or Logic cramping your style by pointing out the violence inherent in the capitalist economic system. So while you want Conceptualization to be high, the hustlerest of builds would probably try to keep the other Intellect skills low.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Mandrel posted:

man this game is broken as hell on PS4. car glitch in day 3, church frozen, voices dropping out everywhere, crashes to the home screen, long spans of time where a thought catalog update just won’t trigger and the game won’t allow you to save and won’t auto save, interminably long load times moving from area to area, sound stuttering, the UI straight up not responding more than half the time. i know it’s a small indie studio, but it’s kind of mind boggling an updated port of a game that came out like two years ago would release in this state, and that basically none of the reviews commented on it.

it really speaks to how compelling and loving good the underlying game is that I’ve kept pressing on and enjoying myself, it’s definitely one of the best games I’ve ever played, looking past the state it’s in. looking forward to whenever that patch actually comes out so I can get my loving badge back

I'd love to know what the hell happened with that. My gut says they didn't want to acknowledge how bad things were on console publicly. Their tweet was like five days ago with no updates since. Honestly I went from mildly annoyed to kinda pissed the more I'm seeing how they're handling this. And the reviews are a joke. Clearly critics played the pc version. There really isn't an excuse for releasing something in this state, indie studio or otherwise. I'm not about to get all entitled gamer about this, but it really is a pretty bad look.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im by the end of day 2 and loving the game, but still quite lost on how Im supposed to play

Above all, I dont know what to invest my skill points on. There are so many skills and it often seems like all of them are important. Im afraid my build was dumb and Im always worried I wont be able to advance for being unable to pass a check on some skill I never developed. So I usually hoard skill points until I come into a check I need to pass to advance the plot and use some to pass it and so on

But reading you guys talk about your builds, it seems you focus on a bunch of skills and ignore the rest, which seems more fun, for role playing reasons

First playthrough I would just go with your gut or however you feel your detective would react/say to situations.

Just go with the flow and you can't really screw yourself out of things.

Just remember having a skill too high can actually be annoying. For example, a high Encyclopedia state gives you a ton of lore about everything about the game, except it kinda does it *all* the time and can be a bit exhausting.

Going for specific things is better for a replay, because you -will- see tons of new things that make replaying it worthwhile.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

BurningBeard posted:

I'd love to know what the hell happened with that. My gut says they didn't want to acknowledge how bad things were on console publicly. Their tweet was like five days ago with no updates since. Honestly I went from mildly annoyed to kinda pissed the more I'm seeing how they're handling this. And the reviews are a joke. Clearly critics played the pc version. There really isn't an excuse for releasing something in this state, indie studio or otherwise. I'm not about to get all entitled gamer about this, but it really is a pretty bad look.

The devs are in the UK, right? It's been a four day weekend - Good Friday and Easter Monday are bank holidays here.

I'm in the same boat where I'm dying to keep playing, but I can understand why the patch isn't out yet.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Randarkman posted:

Again, this is informed by the vision quest, and I haven't tried going into that one with generally high intellect and related skills, but I remember from my first (Communist) run that Rethoric and such are your politically aware skills, and although you want to get art you don't really want Rethoric or Logic cramping your style by pointing out the violence inherent in the capitalist economic system. So while you want Conceptualization to be high, the hustlerest of builds would probably try to keep the other Intellect skills low.

Ok, so maybe

Ultraliberal: 2/4/2/4 tag: Conceptualization

and then make Moralist 2/4/4/2?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

1/1/1/1 Moralist/Ultraliberal. Can't waste those points by spending them, gotta make sure they keep their value by leaving them in the box. Then don't spend any points during the game because change is scary.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i find myself describing people as moralists irl since its honestly such a more apt label than moderate or centrist (which are bullshit terms)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I really like 4-2-2-4 + Volition as a commie actually :iiam:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

sean10mm posted:

I really like 4-2-2-4 + Volition as a commie actually :iiam:

Not unreasonable. When all of your other skills tell you that it's impossible to achieve communism, Volition is the one who says that's why you need to.

Volition should have had the same voice actor as Kim.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Huh the credits say that Dot Major, Cunos original voice actor, did the new voice acting for Noid

So they did bring him back but made a deliberate decision to recast Cuno anyway

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i thought new cuno did a good job with some of the more emotional moments

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

christmas boots posted:

Not unreasonable. When all of your other skills tell you that it's impossible to achieve communism, Volition is the one who says that's why you need to.

Volition should have had the same voice actor as Kim.

I had decided beforehand that I was going ultralib in this playthrough, but boy, when Volition chimed in to tell me that I should build communism precisely because it's impossible, it was a real struggle to turn it down

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

World War Mammories posted:

I had decided beforehand that I was going ultralib in this playthrough, but boy, when Volition chimed in to tell me that I should build communism precisely because it's impossible, it was a real struggle to turn it down

Hustling goes with any ideology, baby. It's disco like that.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Where the patch Keanu

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah there's no reason you can't be a ultraliberal communist. In terms of Revachol history, its worth noting the ultraliberal/communist alliance is a big reason why the revolution succeeded (even if the majority of ultraliberals bailed in the face of the later invasion)

Communism has plenty of room for hustlers and ambitious climbers who do the real work of profiting off the system in terms of power, accolades, money, and social connections. And someone's gotta keep the funds flowing and sell people on the idea (literally) if communism is ever gonna get built! And Revolution means a chance for you to end up on top because it takes out all your competitors...

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

oh, yeah, I understand that it works both in the fiction and in the mechanics, my first playthrough was a sorry commie cop, I just turned it down for roleplaying. honestly I'm not even sure what put me over the threshold to get the thought in the first place, I must've sympathized with manana too much

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

BurningBeard posted:

Yeah this is my first time playing it (on PS4) and it's a beautiful and moving and hilarious experience, but I think I'm going to stop playing it for now until the patch, it really sucks to be continually frustrated by bugs.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

re VAs since Felix I’ve also run into Will and Virgil. like I said never played the first one so idk who they were originally

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i thought new cuno did a good job with some of the more emotional moments

I liked bombastic OG Cuno, but the new Cuno is far better overall. I got him to relate and hunkered down to whisper and he's far better in that than the OG.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Ripley posted:

The devs are in the UK, right? It's been a four day weekend - Good Friday and Easter Monday are bank holidays here.

I'm in the same boat where I'm dying to keep playing, but I can understand why the patch isn't out yet.

Not out I get. Radio silence I don't. Their acknowledgment was pretty weak and non specific. I mean it's legit broken. I'm anti crunch and pro labor and all that, but people paid for something. I can live without playing. That's no big deal there are tons of other games to get into. What I dislike is the unwillingness to say anything after that brief mention. It's kinda lovely.

this is of course exacerbated by the fact that it’s an incredible game that just doesn’t work.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
FWIW this is the studio's first game and the Final Cut was a decidedly more ambitious release than the original so I'm not surprised that the messaging is a little rough at this point.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

This Cuno fellow needs to grow up!!!!!

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

christmas boots posted:

FWIW this is the studio's first game and the Final Cut was a decidedly more ambitious release than the original so I'm not surprised that the messaging is a little rough at this point.

I'm not entirely sure why ambition precludes firing off a tweet when things aren't going according to plan. I mean community relations is obviously ideal in a situation like this so we can at least read between the lines for some bullshit. I'm not trying to harp on you here specifically. But man, I don't really see why anyone should be let off the hook for shipping a defective product. Even owning the fact is better than what's happening.

I'm probably feeling double burned because I seldom buy anything on release and was really looking forward to this.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

BurningBeard posted:

Not out I get. Radio silence I don't. Their acknowledgment was pretty weak and non specific. I mean it's legit broken. I'm anti crunch and pro labor and all that, but people paid for something. I can live without playing. That's no big deal there are tons of other games to get into. What I dislike is the unwillingness to say anything after that brief mention. It's kinda lovely.

this is of course exacerbated by the fact that it’s an incredible game that just doesn’t work.

Why is customer service different from coding? work is work and it's a double bank holiday.

The bit I don't get is publishing a 16 gig patch before a double bank holiday. It feels like they said March and so March it bloody is, when releasing it april 6th would've meant they had the ability to respond and get straight on to fixes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

BurningBeard posted:

I'm not entirely sure why ambition precludes firing off a tweet when things aren't going according to plan. I mean community relations is obviously ideal in a situation like this so we can at least read between the lines for some bullshit. I'm not trying to harp on you here specifically. But man, I don't really see why anyone should be let off the hook for shipping a defective product. Even owning the fact is better than what's happening.

I'm probably feeling double burned because I seldom buy anything on release and was really looking forward to this.

I’m just saying maybe the communication’s not as good as it should be because they haven’t had to do it before.

And uh, no I didn’t think you were harping on me specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

OK, can someone please explain the Thought Cabinet to me. Does the electricity stuff going between some of them mean those are "active?" Are they all active if they're in the cabinet? Does the electricity mean I'm learning that skill now?

What does the electricity mean, basically.