Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Cant be as bad as base rebirth lost but hey who knows edmund is full of surprises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Oh god made it the way through 3 victory laps and had no health icons at all but could pick more soul hearts up (???) and died in one hit

Spraying teeth everywhere due to soy milk and some other stuff. If I entered a room firing everything died. Including me when explosive enemies were nearby

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Won my second attempt on the final boss with The Lost with an insane synergy:

Ludovico
Tech Zero
Parasite Shot

Parasite shots are changed on Ludo. I believe it used to just encircle the tear with two smaller tears but now it throws parasite shots off itself whenever it's hitting something. So if it's sitting on a boss, it's just spawning a bunch of electricity sparking tears centered right on the boss. Everything in the end game just melted.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Pretty cool how (final final boss) I could swap from Book of Belial to Satanic Bible floor one to remain at 12 hearts all game, but then switch back just before challenging the final boss where I got to stack the Belial effect multiple times.

The change to Satanic Bible is interesting incidentally, now if you use it the boss item changes to a devil deal (which doesn't stop you from getting angel rooms if you take it). I assume it was intended as a nerf, but having the satanic bible and Dark Bum meant I actually had enough hearts to make these deals and I think those items may have been stronger than the boss pool. One odd glitch is that one of the deals I didn't take turned into an item I could buy for money on the way back.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Lol. My first run going back up and it softlocked because Depths was XL and the door out didn’t spawn.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Neat, Mr. Boom is now strong enough to one-shot earlier bosses.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Psychedelicatessen posted:

why the gently caress didn't they do something about Greedier mode

I'm getting shat on, even as a powerful character with Dark arts+mom transformation instakilling everything I melee, even then do I get smacked around by the 2 second wave timer at the last few floors

because ed loving loves it and probably thinks its perfect

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Sharkitten posted:

because ed loving loves it and probably thinks its perfect

TBOI succeeds despite Edmund’s best efforts

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I feel at this point Gnawed Leaf is only way I can beat Mother, I have had so many strong builds but that boss just destroys me in its 2nd stage. Still have yet to beat it and I have fought it with 2 rows of hearts

I had a Bethany/Guppy's Head run and beat her first try but that's a huge carry item for her IMO. Especially with a stockpile of soul hearts or some bonuses to item charges, you can easily form an impenetrable shield of fly wisps that orbit you blocking shots and dealing a ton of contact damage. I also somehow managed to spawn some wisps that dropped Golden Troll Bombs, which I have never seen before in my life, which are basically troll bombs that keep exploding over and over forever. Since she's pretty stationary I just knocked a few of those next to her and let them do a ton of damage while I focused on dodging. I really love Bethany.

edit: Good lord, Box of Spiders is another killer item with her. Spawns like 6 wisps that orbit the outer circle and while they don't do a lot of tear damage, they do a great job blocking shots and summon a blue spider when they die. I feel invincible.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 6, 2021

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I beat the final final boss as Isaac, not realizing there was something I should have done in that near-final level to unlock something... now I have to reach that area again. That's the least of my worries, because I have extremely low confidence of beating that fight with The Lost without wearing out my R key trying to get a good start.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

I beat the final final boss as Isaac, not realizing there was something I should have done in that near-final level to unlock something... now I have to reach that area again. That's the least of my worries, because I have extremely low confidence of beating that fight with The Lost without wearing out my R key trying to get a good start.

Just to save you some time, the first time you go to that area it's easy to unlock something, but every time afterwards you need to do something special: drop a trinket, literally any trinket, in an item room at some point in the game. Return to that item room on your journey back up and it will have transformed into an item that lets you get into the room where you unlock something special

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It works if you drop it in a boss room too.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Also, Tainted Forgotten seems like the worst of the bunch from what I've seen so far.

Sounds like someone didn't get Ipecac. The game changes from playing pétaque to playing ping pong, it might be one of the easiest non-gamebreak Delirium kills I've ever done.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I haven't unlocked the alternates, but of the base roster I think Lilith is a top 5 character. Maybe top 3. She's just so good. And that's not even counting how op her box is vs the repentence true final ending boss.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 6, 2021

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
With (secret character) alt Judas what causes Dark Arts to trigger on its own? I thought it was having it charged and getting hit but that didn't seem to work consistently enough to make me 100% sure.

First run with alt Maggie was amazing, my first two pickups were the Virus and Midas Touch so I was a capitalist steamroller.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

SkeletonHero posted:

With (secret character) alt Judas what causes Dark Arts to trigger on its own? I thought it was having it charged and getting hit but that didn't seem to work consistently enough to make me 100% sure.

First run with alt Maggie was amazing, my first two pickups were the Virus and Midas Touch so I was a capitalist steamroller.

I believe it triggers every minute, when the clock hits XX:00. Every time I checked the time after a random dark art, it was just past :00

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
histerically good bethany run where i got godhead and Revelation (Angel Brim). Did all the marks i did on normal mode (chest route, mega satan, delirium) plus a couple i missed (Boss rush, hush)

e: oh yeah i had epiphora and hallowed ground. can you tell im having fun

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 6, 2021

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Almond milk is such a good item and it freaking synergizes with EVERYTHING. Also the item that turns your attack into the zelda sword gets a bit nutty if you get your attack speed high enough with multi-shots. I had the quad shot and got my fire rate to something crazy like 63 due to almond milk + the star of bethlehem, and using the spin charge attack just turned me into a solid circle forever that just insta-killed anything that got near.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

A question for people who have been playing Repentance for a while: is there anything beyond Hard Mode in general you'd say got harder after getting Repentance? Wondering if to finish a few things before buying the DLC. Already unlocked Godhead, did Lazarus on Hard without dying and some challenges just in case.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

No Wave posted:

I haven't unlocked the alternates, but of the base roster I think Lilith is a top 5 character. Maybe top 3. She's just so good. And that's not even counting how op her box is vs the repentence true final ending boss.
Completely broken in Greed Mode too.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

A question for people who have been playing Repentance for a while: is there anything beyond Hard Mode in general you'd say got harder after getting Repentance? Wondering if to finish a few things before buying the DLC. Already unlocked Godhead, did Lazarus on Hard without dying and some challenges just in case.
I think everything hard is harder to complete because run breaking is less of a thing. You'll get amazing runs but you wont be doing much buying of the entire item pool. If your goal is to get a red post it note on absolutely everything I assume it would be easier doing what you can without repentence.

That said, I think repentence isaac is just a better game so you'll have to make up your mind on how to weigh those factors.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 6, 2021

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

It's surprisingly easy to get to boss rush by following the alt path. I guess it's because Downpour 2 is way, way shorter than Caves 1, and Mines 2 is shorter than Depths 1. The only times I've missed boss rush/hush, is when I've been too busy dicking around as the Lost on Downpour 2.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

It's much harder to get broken runs and there are far fewer single items that will carry you through the whole run, so if you want to cheese something out (especially challenges or greedier mode) then now's a good time. (Although The Guardian is probably easier now since Isaac's Heart got a major buff.) Also, curse of darkness is awful now, so you definitely want to do the curse-heavy challenges now. On the other hand, a lot of the crap items got buffed and the special item system is dead, so the item quality in a run is significantly better. Also, Keeper got a major buff and The Lost got... either a buff or a nerf, depending on how you play - I'd consider it a significant buff. The good news is that The Lost can no longer reroll holy mantle away. The bad news is that The Lost no longer starts with the d4. The good news is that The Lost now starts with the eternal d6, which is basically a d6 that sometimes makes items disappear - it gives you something to do with all the useless HP upgrades and such.

One more factor, actually: some of the stuff in Repentance looks harder than the hardest stuff in AB+ anyway, so you might as well upgrade ASAP for the better gameplay.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 6, 2021

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

unlocked alt cain and man that’s some cool design going on there

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I don't really mind the hard mode marks, there's only 2 unlocks related to that beyond Godhead and the rest are babies, so it's stuff for when I've done everything else (even if it would be more time effective to do them as you do other things). But I guess I should finish things like beating Mega Satan with all characters, Greedier and the challenges that rely on curses.

...I'm gonna be trapped forever at Ultra Hard, I'm seeing it :negative:

Edit: Oh yeah, there's the fact the new items seem pretty cool, like Psy FLy which makes Hush and Delirium a joke in terms of dodging. And some of the new synergies.

v No problem on that, already unlocked.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 6, 2021

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:

The AB+/booster pack super duper hidden character The Forgotten is now much harder to unlock, because as of Repentance stomps are no longer coded as explosions so you can't coast through with Pyromaniac/Host Hat. I found this out the hard way since I had him unlocked on the Switch but completely neglected to unlock him on PC. I managed but I'm pretty sure I shaved ten years off of my lifespan.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
friendly bit of advice; dont pick up Mom's Bottle of Pills as Bethany. It's bugged and the wisps spawn troll bombs randomly while you fire.

Funnier still, I have fire mind, and in their infinite wisdom they made it so fire mind explosions can trigger when colliding with troll bombs. I instablasted myself like 4 times before realizing what was happening

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

SkeletonHero posted:

The AB+/booster pack super duper hidden character The Forgotten is now much harder to unlock, because as of Repentance stomps are no longer coded as explosions so you can't coast through with Pyromaniac/Host Hat. I found this out the hard way since I had him unlocked on the Switch but completely neglected to unlock him on PC. I managed but I'm pretty sure I shaved ten years off of my lifespan.

Ah gently caress I think I'm in the same boat actually - I remembered unlocking him but I'm almost positive it's my Switch file now that you said this.

Guess I better check...

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I'm trying to unlock that character now too, having never done it for some reason! Bummed to learn about the host hat change.

Managed to get my second Hush kill with Samson last night. Turns out Ludovico and high shot speed do not combo well with Mom's Knife. It was like trying to get a stick of butter to stay still in a kiddie pool full of baby oil.

Luckily Hush is big and mostly stays put so I only had to dodge well.

Promptly died a few rooms into Sheol, though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Bethany's alternate kit is nuts, coasted to an easy Beast win first time after unlocking her. She really benefits from a set of items that let you do damage safely at range, though, though. I lucked into an early BFF and some good familiars (including a Leech which gave me tons of red hearts to charge poo poo with)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I don't really mind the hard mode marks, there's only 2 unlocks related to that beyond Godhead and the rest are babies, so it's stuff for when I've done everything else (even if it would be more time effective to do them as you do other things). But I guess I should finish things like beating Mega Satan with all characters, Greedier and the challenges that rely on curses.

If you hold R long enough, you can do anything

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Edit: Oh yeah, there's the fact the new items seem pretty cool, like Psy FLy which makes Hush and Delirium a joke in terms of dodging. And some of the new synergies.

v No problem on that, already unlocked.
Oh yeah keeper is mega buffed in repentence so you might want to leave him be until you upgrade.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

PostNouveau posted:

If you hold R long enough, you can do anything

R can't help when you have 4 undispellable curses on you.

Anyways, thanks for the opinions. I wouldn't say I'm totally bad (I'm comfortable in doing Hush the honest way, although I'd prefer not to take forever) but I'd like to get off things that might be harder before I plunge in (even if I'll wait until mods cause the extended description one is hella good).

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Gasmask posted:

So Repentance just doesn't work on Macs and no-one could figure out to put a warning on Steam or whatever?

It doesn't work natively on Linux either, but you can manually set it to run in Proton, where Repentance does work. Dunno if that's an option on Mac too.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

gently caress yes, I just beat Hush and Delirium with Jacob and Esau on hard - thank you very much, Mama Mega! There's actually a spot of mercy with the void: you get a "choice" between two items in each of the boss rooms, which I'm pretty sure isn't true with other characters. So you can get one item Jacob and one on Esau and power up a lot more than you otherwise could. They're a difficult character, but nowhere near as bad as the ones that require sustained perfection like Keeper or The Lost.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

pumpinglemma posted:

gently caress yes, I just beat Hush and Delirium with Jacob and Esau on hard - thank you very much, Mama Mega! There's actually a spot of mercy with the void: you get a "choice" between two items in each of the boss rooms, which I'm pretty sure isn't true with other characters. So you can get one item Jacob and one on Esau and power up a lot more than you otherwise could. They're a difficult character, but nowhere near as bad as the ones that require sustained perfection like Keeper or The Lost.

The Lost was not the hardest character in Afterbirth+. (I haven't tried the new Keeper) The Lost gets flight, spectral tears, basically free curse rooms (just don't take a hit in there) and free devil deals, so it's much easier to snowball with Lost than Keeper.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

You might also want to get that one "break the game" achievement before upgrading to Repentance, I have no idea how you would ever get it now.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Einwand posted:

You might also want to get that one "break the game" achievement before upgrading to Repentance, I have no idea how you would ever get it now.

Checking out I already got it.

On other news, apparently the old art of "complaining in dead forums" works like a charm! Managed to beat Ultra Hard, reseted until I got Holy Mantle on Basement, decided to keep the run since I got devil room on Basement. Caves had Polyphemos, Sinus Infection AND Godhead in the Angel Room. Run went without a hitch, except when I was scared on Dark Room with 2 and a half heart and tried beating rooms to get more items. Turned out I only needed Marked. Now my Samson starts with a meh trinket! :confuoot:

(Also discovered some funny bugs with Marked: Trinity Shield flips the gently caress out and starts spinning like a record and The Chariot will let you keep shooting tears but only to where the mark was when activated):

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

The Lost was not the hardest character in Afterbirth+. (I haven't tried the new Keeper) The Lost gets flight, spectral tears, basically free curse rooms (just don't take a hit in there) and free devil deals, so it's much easier to snowball with Lost than Keeper.
AB+ definitely made The Lost fun rather than absurd bullshit, but I still found him the second hardest character to 100% after Keeper. At the end of the day, thanks to boss armour you have to either break the game completely with something like gnawed leaf or get through a very lengthy fight with Hush and/or Delirium without taking more than one hit, and that’s not easy for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'm gonna play this to my content, wait for mods to come back on, get the music redone, play a little more, and then grab a 100% file because lordy lou I don't have it in me to get all of this stuff

Mostly I just want to play hard with Curse of the Blind permanently turned off, that one is still inexcusable and makes hard mode tedious