Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

OK, can someone please explain the Thought Cabinet to me. Does the electricity stuff going between some of them mean those are "active?" Are they all active if they're in the cabinet? Does the electricity mean I'm learning that skill now?

What does the electricity mean, basically.

it looks cool, that's it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The order or placement of your thoughts within your cabinet does not impact anything except for the fact that you get your first three thoughts for free, and then you have to buy additional slots.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

OK, can someone please explain the Thought Cabinet to me. Does the electricity stuff going between some of them mean those are "active?" Are they all active if they're in the cabinet? Does the electricity mean I'm learning that skill now?

What does the electricity mean, basically.

the electricity represents thought connections and their potential synergy. thoughts can synergize with nearby thoughts for additional effects, but there aren't actually a lot of thoughts which do this so most of the time it doesn't do anything. you have to know the combinations ahead of time because they're mostly not intuitive, too

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

the electricity represents thought connections and their potential synergy. thoughts can synergize with nearby thoughts for additional effects, but there aren't actually a lot of thoughts which do this so most of the time it doesn't do anything. you have to know the combinations ahead of time because they're mostly not intuitive, too

im gonna punch you if you're just yanking on chains here

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

cock hero flux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X0-W5erEXw

I think at the end they talk about how in the next game they do they want the thought cabinet do have more synergy stuff and have placement matter, but it basically doesn't matter in the game.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

OK, because finger guns goes off constantly (my favorite thought so far), but I couldn't get the electricity to go through it and the one next to it at the same time so was really confused. Also I couldn't figure out how to increase the skill points for the main stats so wound up spending all my first points on the thought cabinet.

Thanks everyone! Now to duck out of here until I solve this hanging man mystery! And maybe try to figure out how to talk to Egghead.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
I'm blown away by the writing in this game but the PS4 version has frustrated me to point of decorating my room like the protagonist.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Mandrel posted:

re VAs since Felix I’ve also run into Will and Virgil. like I said never played the first one so idk who they were originally

Who are they now?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Spangly A posted:

Why is customer service different from coding? work is work and it's a double bank holiday.

The bit I don't get is publishing a 16 gig patch before a double bank holiday. It feels like they said March and so March it bloody is, when releasing it april 6th would've meant they had the ability to respond and get straight on to fixes.

My thoughts exactly. Like was there a contractual obligation to push it out? Why not just hang onto it. It’s a great game with a lot of critical juice behind it, but it’s really not Cyberpunk level attention we’re talking about here, I doubt anyone would have minded a delay. And to have a marquis feature—the voice acting—be so prominently hosed up in the release strikes me as even weirder. Setting aside my own frustration, how does something like that even make it through QA. Presumably they tested the PC release back in 2019. After all it came out and was mostly fine wasn’t it?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Considering that the communication on the release date can be summed up as 'they said March 2021 at some point, and then we heard jack poo poo until literally a couple weeks before release'(as in they announced it on March 17th, when it came out March 31st), I'm not surprised they're not spamming their twitter with daily 'we're working on fixing the PS4 release, bear with us' reassurances.

I'm guessing the bugfix patch(es) will drop without much more than a 'we patched it' day-of tweet, in other words.

As for why they dropped the Final Cut right before a UK four day weekend, who the gently caress knows. Between that and the extended silence on the release date, I'm in the "they were too stubborn to change the release date after they said March" camp.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 6, 2021

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I finished it. Played about 40% of the game before the patch, and the rest after. I went 1:5:4:2, wound up putting a lot of points into Conceptualisation and Perception. Shivers rules; Physical Instrument was useful but a real prick. I got in this weird situation where the investigation was help up for days because [I couldn't get into Ruby's car, because I destroyed Kim'smy crowbar on the church, so I had to spend a day or so working on the church before I could really proceed with the murder investigation. Anyway, the big break came on day five, when I cracked the Hardie boys and Klaasje in one go. At this point, I'd kind of worked my way into being a borderline-competent boring cop, decently good at everything and succeeding most of the (seemingly-important) skill-checks. I'd gotten my badge and gun back, I'd gotten most of the armour, I pulled off the karaoke performance, I got the cheevo for Kim liking me, all smooth sailing. I got up to the point of no return, and decided to wrap up some side-quests and sleep my health back.

Ruby went badly. I was able to learn a lot from her, and disable the machine, but I couldn't convince her not to shoot herself. That one genuinely hurt. Loved the bit where Kim indulges Harry threatening to quit, just for a minute. We went back to town, into the tribunal. I got the mercs talking, got some of the positive modifiers to the two big checks, and then failed both of them. Failed the Rhetoric check, and then hosed up Neckie's viking funeral. Luckily I still had the armour on (overprepared for Ruby), but four of the Hardie boys and Elizabeth got killed, and Harry got shot in the leg. Just a disaster.

We got the photo, though.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The thought cabinet electricity is my biggest complaint with the game. I spent forever trying to figure out what it did/meant and turns out it's nothing at all. So why put this meaningless confusing element in the UI in the first place

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

My game locked up when I finished Soona's quest in the church. It just plays the noise and rattles everything without progressing the dialogue any further. Is there a fix for this?

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

My game locked up when I finished Soona's quest in the church. It just plays the noise and rattles everything without progressing the dialogue any further. Is there a fix for this?

I had to AltF4 the game, relaunch and load my last save. Took me 20 minutes to get back to that point, but it worked that time.

It's one of a few common softlocks.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

RubberLuffy posted:

I had to AltF4 the game, relaunch and load my last save. Took me 20 minutes to get back to that point, but it worked that time.

It's one of a few common softlocks.

:lol: Just ran into that same problem and came here to ask. It's locked three times in a row so I think I'm just gonna go do other mystery solving and try back later.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Ha, well, since I left off at the point where I'm literally about to walk back into the church to finish that quest, I think I'll take that as yet another sign (in addition to the frozen car and sandcastle with the armor glove being bugged) that I should just let the game be until it gets patched up.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Solice Kirsk posted:

:lol: Just ran into that same problem and came here to ask. It's locked three times in a row so I think I'm just gonna go do other mystery solving and try back later.

Just as I posted this I managed to make it work somehow.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I've been considering myself lucky to not get any softlocks anywhere so far, but I've been all around the coast and can't seem to find the cryptozoologists anywhere? Has anyone else had that come up?

I'm not sure if I'm just blind, cause the coast area always gets me a bit discombobulated to begin with. I did see just one of their traps, but I couldn't interact with it. I do have the quest to find Morell, so it's not like I just forgot to talk to Lena about it at all.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
gently caress me my agile/hefty Himbo run started off so great. I got real with Cuno on a natural 12 and managed to not vomit on the first try only to have a breakdown when I rolled snake eyes on shooting the body down.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Kraftwerk posted:

Just as I posted this I managed to make it work somehow.

I posted about this before, it depends on how fast you're walking into the area and kinda which general direction you're coming from.

You need to try moving in at different angles.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Randarkman posted:

In a way it kind of is, or you can actually get by pretty well, even with it being low, becasue there are many thoughts that boost skills in motorics, or raise the learning cap of motorics skills, and there's also alot of clothing that boosts skills in motorics. And then you can use speed to raise your learning cap in one of the skills by one further if you happen to need it.

As someone who played a 1 5 5 1 build, I never saw any visual calculus stuff at all. Playing a 5 1 1 5 build is almost like playing the game as a different character, it's really amazing how much I didn't know I was missing. It's great!

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
If anyone hasn’t tried it yet, I highly recommend cheating and doing a 6/6/6/6 run at least once. All of the skills pipe up constantly, interrupting and contradicting one another and warning you to listen to them and not that other guy - it’s glorious.

If you want to get even more ridiculous you can (mild spoilers for day 3 and the thought cabinet) head straight to the Feld building on day 3 and pick up Wompty-Dompty-Dom centre: 10 xp and 2 Reál on every Encyclopaedia passive, and you will be getting a lot of encyclopaedia passives. Pick up Actual Art Degree as well (+10xp on Conceptualisation passives) for even more ludicrousness

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

There are thought synergies? You better fuckin explain yourself.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
there are no 'thought synergies'

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I wish Shivers was a psyche skill. I want to focus on Inland Empire and Shivers, for the full magical realist experience, but that means I have to divide my points between Psyche and Physique...

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

SimonChris posted:

I wish Shivers was a psyche skill. I want to focus on Inland Empire and Shivers, for the full magical realist experience, but that means I have to divide my points between Psyche and Physique...

You don't really have to. There's a bunch of thoughts that you are likely to gain playing through the main investigation that boost your Shivers skill and your Shivers learning cap, you also have easy and early access to clothing that boosts Shivers. Anyway, point is invest points in Shivers every now and then, and pick up the thoughts that boost the skill further, you don't really need to start with high physique to get high Shivers.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Easiest boost to shivers is to go with the Hobocop thought right at the start. It boosts your learning cap for the skill and means you can be full shivers while having a low base physique stat.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Patch 1.2 should be coming today, according to one of the devs on Discord.

Discord posted:

Patch is going live today
We were panicking and waiting on certifications the whole weekend
No rest whatsoever

Discord posted:

quote:

Does the Patch fix all of the console problems preventing players from completing the game?
Yeah most of them
This is a leeway patch for the upcoming 1.3 as well
We've been squatting bugs the entirety of the last few days

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Ripley posted:

Yeah most of them

I'm glad I haven't had much time to play on PS4, my love for the game is untainted.

Also, started reading Mark Fisher after seeing his name in some analysis, good stuff.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Jack Trades posted:

There are thought synergies? You better fuckin explain yourself.

The art degree thought that heals your morale for conceptualization passives synergizes with the revacholian nationhood thought that damages your morale for saying "tradionalist" things for starters :beck:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Also I found out with Gary if you don't have/fully explore your ledger and find out what kind of fines you can give people, Kim steps in and fines Gary for 50 Real after you grill him about the trash container and the murder scene, instead of you being able to fine Gary up to 1,000 Real, yourself.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Ripley posted:

Yeah most of them
[/quote]

Really glad to hear this. Thanks for sharing.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
I'm puzzled by the conceputalness of something.
So, all the ideology poo poo reinforce themselves : communism gives you XP, liberalism gives you moolah, moral cowardice heals your psyche... all but the härd stuff. Which hurts you when you have internalized it and keep talking about it. Not only that, but it hurts the resource you need to be using to take advantage of being on the härd stuff to begin with (namely : being drunk all of the time).

What's the message there ? That you're *supposed* to be crypto ? That the cognitive dissonance is just *that* hard to work at ? Or is it simply metatextual indication that yeah, no, fascism is loving bollocks you loving idiot ?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Kobal2 posted:

So, all the ideology poo poo reinforce themselves : communism gives you XP, liberalism gives you moolah, moral cowardice heals your psyche... all but the härd stuff. Which hurts you when you have internalized it and keep talking about it. Not only that, but it hurts the resource you need to be using to take advantage of being on the härd stuff to begin with (namely : being drunk all of the time).

What's the message there ? That you're *supposed* to be crypto ? That the cognitive dissonance is just *that* hard to work at ? Or is it simply metatextual indication that yeah, no, fascism is loving bollocks you loving idiot ?

Being a fascist is idiot poo poo for fuckers and makes you a bitter burned out pathetic shell of a hateful person encouraged to drink it up while blaming everything bad on everybody else, you see.

And about finding my gun: I did the stuff for Evrart, got the task to confront the pigs, and I also sent Kim away later that day for removing the dead guy so I would hypothetically face her alone...but she never showed up on the boardwalk on that day at 22:00. The next day, I had Kim with me, waited, no pigs. Did I gently caress myself? I just wanted to hear Half Light react to H&E Coordination and Physical Instrument's plan :smith:

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 6, 2021

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

EorayMel posted:

Being a fascist is idiot poo poo for fuckers and makes you a bitter burned out pathetic shell of a hateful person encouraged to drink it up while blaming everything bad on everybody else, you see.

But that's just the thing ! You're actively *discouraged* from that ! If you tell the honest truth about the kipts wot everyone's really thinking but no one dares speak out loud because of *looks at hand scribbles* Them Cosmopolitan Cancel Cultures ; you just hurt yourself.

I almost feel like it's a bug and it should heal up your physique the same way moral cowardice heals your psyche (because looking down on f*****s and wömen makes you feel powerful), but I'm worried I'm missing something funny - besides just making fascism idiot poo poo for fuckers of course, which would be pretty funny in and of itself IF I was sure that's what ZA/UM was going for.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Kobal2 posted:

I would say the argument is that yes, Fascism/alt-right bullshit just makes you sad and angry and want to be drunk and punchy. Whether it's because of dissonance or just that the main trait of the ideology is having someone to blame for your sadness and thus soaking yourself deeper in it, I'm not qualified to judge.

See the earlier "Why does nationalism make you hate women?" Because the thought is about being an alt-right fascist, your intestines even go 'sure, you can sugar coat it and lie to yourself, but this is fascism baby.'

But, just my privileged ham sandwich thoughts.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

EorayMel posted:

And about finding my gun: I did the stuff for Evrart, got the task to confront the pigs, and I also sent Kim away later that day for removing the dead guy so I would hypothetically face her alone...but she never showed up on the boardwalk on that day at 22:00. The next day, I had Kim with me, waited, no pigs. Did I gently caress myself? I just wanted to hear Half Light react to H&E Coordination and Physical Instrument's plan :smith:

I previously had the opposite where I couldn't get the scene to trigger without sending Kim away, but this time he came along fine. So in short, I dunno. Should be around there at any time between the given one and 2am IIRC but... *shrug*

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I don't think it would have the morale hits if the game was taking place somewhere psychotic nationalism is widely lauded, and there are many, but it's not. It's taking place in a city colonized by a diverse coalition of holier than thou foreigners whose opening gambit was to destroy the city and then take all its stuff, and most anybody a Revacholian fascist will run into will not be fascists and will not like what they are saying. The communist thought gets to dispense of this issue by acknowleding that communism is about failure and it was defeated BUT there's obviously a latent desire for it. Fascism doesn't even have a big dramatic loss to hang onto

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Epic High Five posted:

Fascism doesn't even have a big dramatic loss to hang onto

The king's nephew (or whoever, I don't loving remember) got his own jaw shot off, I'll have you know. By communards lowlifes and sexual deviants. And really, what was the Commune, if not a big dramatic loss of Suzerainty ?
Kipt poo poo, all right ? It was all binoclard kipt poo poo. No wonder she left *you*, if you don't even understand that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
If the fascist poo poo fucks you up in a mechanical sense, I think that’s actually a missed opportunity. I’m disinclined to even play through the game on that path, but I think it would be more interesting to have it reward you mechanically, but punish you narratively. If you do it right, to my way of thinking, you can have a slow-boiled frogg effect where fascist playthroughs might look appealing initially, but ultimately lead you to personal and moral ruin. Just my $0.02.

This is probably the first game I’ve seen where I’m almost more interested in how people react to it than its actual content.