Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

ronya posted:

Corbyn could play more-cops-than-the-Tories-honest and the party left tolerated it because they assumed he doesn't really mean it - but Starmer can't play the same game

Cobryn abstaining on internal security bills (snooper's charter etc.) is actually held to a different standard than Starmer seeking to do so. I don't think this is some hypocrisy or inconsistency, to be clear; I think it an honest reflection of the fact that people really value signalled values and priorities, far more so than a single proposed programme or other

It's an echo of New Labour's own war on the soft left once (the opposition to what it called 'one more heave' politics, and the demand to instead engage in a clean break through staged showdowns with the hard left). That, too, wasn't really about 'policies'.

(by the same token other audiences would also assume Corbyn doesn't mean it either, which limited the electoral payoff since they do, in some manner, actually want more cops)

I don't think the first part of your argument is congruous with the rest. I tolerated Corbyn increasing the pay and numbers of police because the context was one of wider social and party reforms - I can accept it as a compromise on the condition that the 2017 Labour party could've meaningfully opposed it if it was an absolute failure, which was unlikely when it stood next to policies that do actually increase social cohesion. I did believe he was honestly describing his intent because it was so clear there was an actual plan to address actual problems, not in spite of this. Maybe I've been lib-poisoned by rewatching the wire, but I'm even a little interested in getting some good data on how better paid and trained staff affect conviction rates (which, of course, decrease all crimes with the decreased expectation of escaping consequences). The signalling changes the standard because my demands of a parliamentary party are otherwise met.

With the agency man in charge I've only been disappointed by constant signalling that Keef really is a hateful little berk who is ok with protest laws and agency protections that rival those of Orban. When you repeatedly trample on so many of the moral foundations of millions of people, you do not get to ask for trust. So I agree with you on differing standards, but those standards are earnt, not purely reactionary or spiteful. I was asking ITT about whether Starmer would make an ok leader when he managed to come across as sensible company man during Shadow Brexit talks. I put him second in the leadership election. The first big Oh No moment was BLM, and I quit the party over spycops because members of my family have been tortured in the maze. It's not something I can possibly condone equivocating or triangulating on.

I can also agree and understand that Corbyn wasn't ever going to win over people who think having a chat with the IRA is evil, but that didn't impact my thoughts on more cops because I don't give a gently caress about those people or what they want. This is not a team sport, and history says little positive about politicians and parties that simply refuse to have principles.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sorry, "the maze"? Not heard that one before.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Dabir posted:

Sorry, "the maze"? Not heard that one before.

HM prison maze/long kesh/H blocks

in ireland they'll put you away in the maze
in england they'll keep you for seven long days
god help you if ever you're caught on these shores
the coppers need someone and walk through that door

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

BalloonFish posted:

enforce 64 pronouns on everyone, dissolve the Army, ban football and give Muslim immigrants free broadband

:hmmyes:

BalloonFish posted:

Ignore The Will Of The People About Brexit, Give Free Broadband To Everyone and Let All The Illegals In

:hmmyes::hmmyes:

Though I think if we allocate more money to processing power, we can achieve 128 pronouns this side of 2030

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

still not really following, sorry

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

Dabir posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_Prison_Maze

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
It's funny how there's a generational/cultural divide where on one hand the bobbies are good uns who stand between Britain and barbarism (and at worst once a decade you fire some bad apples who slipped through) and on the other hand the plod are merely the biggest gang on the block who will absolutely wreck your poo poo for no good reason. It's extremely funny how the first group are disproportionately Starmerites.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Dabir posted:

It was a prison on an old RAF base in NI (mostly) used for holding terrorist/paramilitary prisoners during the Troubles.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It was a prison on an old RAF base in NI (mostly) used for holding terrorist/paramilitary prisoners during the Troubles.

I was very disappointed to eventually learn that the Maze wasn't the inescapable labyrinth filled with traps that I'd assumed it was when I heard it mentioned on the news when I was a kid.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Gerry Adams seen here recently modelling his new designer range of T shirts for The Maze.

https://www.sinnfeinbookshop.com/t-shirts/

Note: Also in shot - the Xmas lights that led to perhaps the greatest Northern Ireland tweet of all time

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Dabir posted:

guantanamo bay for white people

smellmycheese posted:

Gerry Adams seen here recently modelling his new designer range of T shirts for The Maze.

https://www.sinnfeinbookshop.com/t-shirts/

loving hell lmao

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

I was very disappointed to eventually learn that the Maze wasn't the inescapable labyrinth filled with traps that I'd assumed it was when I heard it mentioned on the news when I was a kid.

The real maze is the friends we made along the way.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Spangly A posted:

guantanamo bay for white people

loving hell lmao

Big Gerry is all about the merch these days

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/mar/20/gerry-adams-unveils-irish-unity-themed-easter-egg

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

quote:

In October 2019, the European Union withdrew £18m that had been approved to develop a peace centre, due to disagreements between Sinn Féin and the Democratic Unionist Party.

This is a good example of how NI governance works.
If it benefits the other side a bit, even if given a free 18 mill for the locality, no nope can't allow that.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

happyhippy posted:

This is a good example of how NI governance works.
If it benefits the other side a bit, even if given a free 18 mill for the locality, no nope can't allow that.

I’ve lived here for three years now and the biggest example of this sort of thing to me is the fact that the main road from Belfast to Dublin isn’t just not a motorway, it’s a lethal deathtrap. People die unnecessarily on it month after month.

Plenty of other motorways in NI, and as soon as you cross the border into the republic the road becomes a nice safe motorway with sliproads and marked exits. But all the way from Belfast to the (non)border it is a horror show of tractors pulling out of sideroads into 70mph traffic, vehicles driving right across both carriageways, no lighting, and no warning signs. It is an absolute metaphor for the state of the place. The only reason it isn’t a motorway is politicians deliberately not wanting to connect belfast and Dublin properly.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Grammarchist posted:

Does the UK have a sustained trend of voters really liking left-wing economic policies, but increasingly refusing to vote for left-wing parties? Because here in the states we've made a tradition of voting in left-wing policies via referendums while also electing Republicans on the same ballot that then go on to kill those policies.

While that is a bit of a thing, it's also really important to remember that the current Labour Party doesn't believe in those policies either.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I'm genuinely shocked at the lack of edit wars on that wikipedia page. The article on silicone has more controversy.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
They say these days, if you say you're Irish, you'll be arrested and thrown in the Maze.

It's an actual maze, and Keir is the Minotaur at the centre (where he's most comfortable)

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Can anyone understand what they’re actually proposing or not proposing on vaccine passports?

I’ll be honest if I haven’t been offered a vaccine and reopening becomes reopening for Boomers only I might sign up for a riot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/wrb91/status/1379261685840629760?s=21

Holy hell.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's not just that he's bloating like crazy, it's that he seems to be animorphing specifically into Boris Johnson. Kirby Starmer

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's an actual maze, and Keir is the Minotaur at the centre (where he's most comfortable)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lmao

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's not just that he's bloating like crazy, it's that he seems to be animorphing specifically into Boris Johnson. Kirby Starmer

Oh god its true. Maybe that's his plan - become indistinguishable from the current PM in every way with the end goal of secretly replacing him.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Is this going to be like Charles Kennedy, where after and only after he stepped down as Lib Dem leader, did all the journalists say: "Oh yes, we all knew he had a massive drinking problem, we just never said anything."

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

Is this going to be like Charles Kennedy, where after and only after he stepped down as Lib Dem leader, did all the journalists say: "Oh yes, we all knew he had a massive drinking problem, we just never said anything."

didn't he have that photo recently with a bottle of whiskey on each side of the table, like everyone else who doesnt day drink at work?

fuk wit a lefty u get da hefty

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
'Cos when I see Starmer getting interviewed these days, he always seems to have that nervous, put-upon, oh-god-i-can't-handle-this expression that someone at work gets, when they've got a bad hangover and a colleague approaches them with an urgent and difficult problem.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I mean the first photo was taken with TV studio makeup applied in a world where haircuts and getting a tan on holiday existed.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Spangly A posted:

didn't he have that photo recently with a bottle of whiskey on each side of the table, like everyone else who doesnt day drink at work?

Well, rearraging my zoom call background right now.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

I've said this before but I genuinely think he's unwell. I hope he doesn't have alcoholism because it's a loving awful disease but it definitely does look like it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Reminds me of the hungover teacher in that old Molesworth cartoon:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
You’ve mostly all got British genes, I refuse to believe I’m the only person that gets awful rosacea over winter that largely vanishes with a few days of sun.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I'm sorry but I must post this

https://twitter.com/darrengrimes_/status/1378438928856932359?s=20

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

peanut- posted:

I mean the first photo was taken with TV studio makeup applied in a world where haircuts and getting a tan on holiday existed.

Yeah, but I don't think even studio makeup can give you visible cheekbones when you don't otherwise have them.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

smellmycheese posted:

I’ve lived here for three years now and the biggest example of this sort of thing to me is the fact that the main road from Belfast to Dublin isn’t just not a motorway, it’s a lethal deathtrap. People die unnecessarily on it month after month.

Plenty of other motorways in NI, and as soon as you cross the border into the republic the road becomes a nice safe motorway with sliproads and marked exits. But all the way from Belfast to the (non)border it is a horror show of tractors pulling out of sideroads into 70mph traffic, vehicles driving right across both carriageways, no lighting, and no warning signs. It is an absolute metaphor for the state of the place. The only reason it isn’t a motorway is politicians deliberately not wanting to connect belfast and Dublin properly.

Infrastructure was always used as a weapon.
The M1/A4/A5 was meant to link Londonderry/Derry to Belfast to help transport quicker and easier.
They got upto the start of the catholic area west of Dungannon and went 'poo poo they might get some use of this' so just stopped.
My home town Omagh only got their upgrade finished in 2010, like 50 years after the idea started

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ruined by splitters? Checks out.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Grammarchist posted:

Does the UK have a sustained trend of voters really liking left-wing economic policies, but increasingly refusing to vote for left-wing parties? Because here in the states we've made a tradition of voting in left-wing policies via referendums while also electing Republicans on the same ballot that then go on to kill those policies.

I don't know how it works in the US, but in the UK the voting for MPs (and hence government) is localized whereas in the referenda it is just a job lot. So it is possible to have most total votes but not be the winning party for government (majority of 20000 in a constituency increasing to 30000 makes no difference essentially, whereas a majority of 1 in another constituency does). But in the brexit referendum, it was straight x people in UK voted leave, y people in UK voted remain, x>y therefore leave won.

Prison torture chat:

I was watching In the Name of the Father (film with Daniel Day Lewis about the Guildford 4) with a Palestinian friend from Gaza (in Cairo not in the UK) and there were some scenes of torture being carried out by British police on the suspects. Pal friend looking amazed said "This film is copying what the Israelis do to Palestinians!" - I said "This film is based on actual events in the UK" with some caveats about 'dramatization' and I'm pretty sure that the torture scenes were based on reality and also probably very similar to what was going on in the Maze. He was gobsmacked.

Maze prison and the 'dirty' protests were common knowledge back in the late 70s (or maybe early 80s, I was at uni anyway), and the whole Bobby Sands hunger strike thing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Sands. In 1981 in Tehran, they renamed the street where the British Embassy is from Winston Churchill St to Bobby Sands St. Iran has form for trolling Western governments.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 6, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

that's a fray bentos and special brew face imo

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, but I don't think even studio makeup can give you visible cheekbones when you don't otherwise have them.

It absolutely can, that's what contouring is. Make-up can give you six pack abs with enough effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Darth Walrus posted:

One of my nieces is a make up artist and does theatrical makeup - you'd be amazed what they can do!