Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Dante80 posted:

Kinda. It started with this in 2013..

and then continued with this the next year...

The thing grew out of proportion and the rest is history. As I said, I don' think Xi even knows about the thing. Just standard censoring procedure by the bureaucrats that is seen as "devastating commentary hitting the mark at the top" by the trolls.

posting winnie the pooh memes and treating it as some big own against china/xi is hilariously dumb

like cmon its not even a funny meme

im sure that winnie the pooh meme is going to make china tremble with anger or some poo poo or whatevs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

mawarannahr posted:

I can almost guarantee that Turkey has and continues to treat its Kurdish citizens far worse than how China treats any of its citizens. Even statistics like ethnic differentiation in personal income are wildly skewed comparing ethnic Kurds to ethnic Turks vs comparing Han and Uyghur income.

we literally abandoned the kurds and allowed turkey to steamroll over them so yeah

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
It’s the equivalent of saying that cows are banned in the USA because of the David Nunes Cow Twitter.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

anyone have an easily linked expose on the xinjiang thing and how much of a psycho Adrian Zens is. I used to have one but I lost it

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
who's excited to deny a second genocide

https://twitter.com/realDailyWire/status/1379037991700549633?s=20

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Drink, drink, raise your glass, raise your glass high

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

That is a pretty classy toasting pose!

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

“A member of a Christian ‘house church’ in the southwestern province of Sichuan who asked to be identified by a pseudonym Li Yuese said he was held in a facility run by the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP)’s United Front Work Department, working in tandem with the state security police, for 10 months after a raid on his church in 2018,” Radio Free Asia reported. “Another Christian who asked to remain anonymous told RFA that similar facilities are being used across China, not just for Protestants, but also for members of the underground Catholic church, and of the banned Falun Gong spiritual movement, a target of authorities since 1999.”

Radio Free Asia is a non-profit broadcasting corporation funded through the U.S. Agency for Global Media, an independent federal government agency.

oh come on!

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Is there really an underground Catholic church? Anything I look up seems to be a mix of ‘China making agreements with the Vatican a couple years ago’ and ‘Chinese cracking down on Catholicism.’ Is it just allowed under strict laws?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Wow really The Daily Wire? Might as well just post articles from BREITBART DOT COM and PROJECT VERITAS

We demand liberal sources for our liberal interventionism

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Is there really an underground Catholic church? Anything I look up seems to be a mix of ‘China making agreements with the Vatican a couple years ago’ and ‘Chinese cracking down on Catholicism.’ Is it just allowed under strict laws?

It's not underground. There's even an official archdiocese for China

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
aren't there more christians in china than italy, germany and france combined

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Someone in the boardroom must have clued in that their audience doesn’t honestly give a poo poo of Muslims

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

Someone in the boardroom must have clued in that their audience doesn’t honestly give a poo poo of Muslims

ding ding ding.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Currently China has gray area "patriotic bishops" and underground "family church" priests (I am not too familiar with Godman job titles). The on-going negotiation between China and Vatican is that if and when Vatican dump Taiwan and establish formal relationship with China, Vatican will appoint a Bishop from a list of "approved bishops" provided by China. So basically the main Bishop need to be approved by both governments. It's essentially the "Vietnam model" and the Vatican wouldn't have problem with it.

So and reason this deal is not moving forward most likely is at the Chinese end, even though Vatican is the only European region that still recognize Taiwan. My speculation is that it will introduce too many legal issues to the other Christian underground churches, and specially the Arabization of the Islam in Xinjiang.

Personally, I have not heard Chinese Christians being oppressed except the ones that helped smuggling North Koreans to South Korea. I am not saying its not happening, but CCP's main issue is not religion, but the religions need to be localized, and be authorized by the central government.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

stephenthinkpad posted:

I am not saying its not happening, but CCP's main issue is not religion, but the religions need to be localized, and be authorized by the central government.

seems like that would be an issue with a lot of religions tbf

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Someone who goes to a "house church" must know what they're getting into, really. Anything outside the bounds of the State church is going to get cracked down on hard right now and I can't imagine they're treated well in prison.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1379167704117051395

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Dante80 posted:

independent federal government agency
lol

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

pretty weird since there are a lot of chinese catholics

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://apa.az/en/cis-countries-news/Lavrov-Reaction-of-the-US-and-West-to-actions-of-Kiev-in-Donbass-is-disappointing-346159

quote:

Russia Sergey Lavrov at the joint press conference held together with his Indian counterpart Subrahmanyam Jaishanka, APA’s Moscow bureau reports.

“When it comes to the statement of the Ukrainian government, there are a lot of analytical articles regarding this, there have been reportages. This worries us. We talk about this with our European counterparts. We hope that there is an appropriate understanding in Washington regarding the things that happen. Unfortunately, the activity of our Western colleagues, their reactions to the strengthening of the military structure, and the deployment of troops on the line of contact in Donbass are still disappointing. As it is before, our Western colleagues consider that it is necessary to support the completely unacceptable activities and statements of the Ukrainian government” said Russian FM.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

as a filmmaker I really appreciate that China still believes in the power of cinema

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Agrajag posted:

pretty weird since there are a lot of chinese catholics

for now

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Can't wait for Captain Marvel 2: The F-35 Ultimatum

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://russian.rt.com/ussr/article/849849-lavrov-donbass-kiev-poziciya-zapad

Deputy Foreign Minister of the Russian Federation posted:

We had contacts with the United States administration regarding the situation in Donbas. We have presented to the United States side in an exhaustive manner what is going on.

Washington should be concerned about the consequences of this coordinated policy. I see no point in revisiting this topic again.

The utter inadequacy of those who formulate a policy on the Ukrainian direction in Washington is clear to us, so you can expect anything you can imagine from them. And it is on this basis that we carry out the corresponding measures.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 19:29 on Apr 6, 2021

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

american sniper

lone survivor

zero dark thirty

13 hours

patriots day

gi jane

hurt locker

black hawk down

etc.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I'm fairly sure there are more people practicing Catholicism in China than there are practicing Judaism on the planet. It's a significant amount of people. I have one close friend in China who's catholic and her church seems to be pretty extreme, I don't really know how the religion operates there but I could guess it might be at odds with the government in several ways. I never got the sense that China cares at all about religion in private life or individual identification, they care about organizations with leadership that can sway opinion or groupthink that might suddenly run to some political position. Foreign media is just projecting it's identity based culture / history of persecution.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I believe there's an underground church of Catholics loyal to the Vatican because the legal "Catholic" church in China answers to Beijing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Patriotic_Catholic_Association

I don't know about the underground Catholics, I assume they're probably close to some trad-Caths or people who want Latin masses but "house church" is generally synonymous with crazy evangelical.

Sometimes they'll both ordain clergy as part of an agreement but they don't acknowledge each other's clergy otherwise. Both are separate and if you're in China at a "Catholic" church, you're most likely under a priest with no public connection to Rome and if you do have one who does, you're only worshiping under them as a technicality since the mass is conducted under the directions of the Chinese Patriotic Catholic Association and not the Roman Catholic Church. It sounds dumb and convoluted, which it is, but the Chinese Patriotic Catholic Association is as much a Roman Catholic Church as an Orthodox or Coptic one considering their differences and separation from Rome.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

It's the 100th anniversary of the founding of the CPC and they're ordering the cinemas to run some classic films to celebrate. Really not that deep.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Agrajag posted:

american sniper

lone survivor

zero dark thirty

13 hours

patriots day

gi jane

hurt locker

black hawk down

etc.

the story isn't that patriotic films exist it's that the government wants to have them available for public viewing the entire year for the 100th anniversary of the communist party... which is very uninteresting in a different way

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bad Empanada did a video on Xinjiang and I thought it was pretty thoughtful and well researched.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz9ICFDk8Js

OK tell me I'm a tool of the US state and/or a genocide denier, I'm ready

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

as someone from a Catholic background, I appreciate China continuing the denominations long history of church conflict with state authorities on topics like investiture

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I believe there's an underground church of Catholics loyal to the Vatican because the legal "Catholic" church in China answers to Beijing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Patriotic_Catholic_Association

the CPC setting up their own antipope would be pretty rad

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

and if you're interested in the actual movies (i am) to watch here's a list:

red detachment of women is a little dated but i liked it

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

In china to get a film into commercial theaters you need a 龍標, which looks like this

Which is at times, and especially now, very annoying to get. It precludes a lot of stories from making it to wide release (you can usually still show films without the dragon mark at private screening or film festivals/competitions, or stream them online). There's one or two producers in China where if they let you put their name in your credits you'll have a much better chance to get approved, so these people are basically essential to network with and suck up to. If you fail to get it you basically have to cut and reshoot scenes for the appeasement of what's now called the national film administration.

Anyway this dumb dragon stamp basically destroys indie film in China because you can make a great film, not get a 龍標, and be totally hosed, the only way to recoup money is to sell your oversea rights and you're reduced to streaming websites within china. And if you make an explicitly LGBT or crime film or whatever you're also hosed even though there's no official rule against it, lots of topics are basically banned de facto. When people start to undertake a project they basically have to decide if it's for Chinese market or overseas market at the get go.

If you wonder why Chinese films aren't very good anymore I think it's at least 50% this dragon mark's fault

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 19:51 on Apr 6, 2021

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Comrade Koba posted:

especially if they also built a full scale replica of the entire vatican

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

as someone from a Catholic background, I appreciate China continuing the denominations long history of church conflict with state authorities on topics like investiture

China on the cutting edge of Christianity by having classic investiture conflicts and the more modern one of people setting up churches in homes because they have strong beliefs on niche things or think the government is the anti-Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

that would cause an angry wave of mad reactionaries claiming that the pope was communist, which nobody does right now.