Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
With a force of mostly knights and a couple Warhounds you are unlikely to be able to afford 2-3 bigger titans.

2-3 Reavers (the midsize ones) is like 60-80% of an army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Strobe posted:

With a force of mostly knights and a couple Warhounds you are unlikely to be able to afford 2-3 bigger titans.

2-3 Reavers (the midsize ones) is like 60-80% of an army.

Oh hey Strobe, long time no see! Hmm, OK then. Well, what about a Reaver supported by two Warhounds? (Since from a quick google, I need a set of three titans at minimum. That might be wrong though)
Then how many knights (roughly) do you think I'd be able to get after that? And would that actually be reasonably good as a force focused on moving around to flank/harrass enemies consisting of larger titans, or would my proposed mix just end up being creamed?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I can't really speak to quality because I'm bad at this game, but you can fit a Reaver and two Warhounds into ~800 points and have room for a couple banners.

Knights in Titanicus are adorable. :kimchi:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
haha yeah, I love those li'l knights! I've always had a soft spot for tiny little mechs going up against big'uns :D

Alright so, in light of what you've said, I'm wondering about this:

Reaver (x1)
Warhound (x2)

Banner #1:
Cerastus Lancer (spear+shield) as the banner leader guy
Cerastus Castigator (bolt cannons)

Banner #2:
Cerastus Archeron (flame cannon)

Since this way, assuming I can afford it point-wise, I'll only need to worry about buying a 'Cerastus Knights Acheron & Castigator' pack and sourcing the Warhounds, with the lancer guys and reaver coming from a friend of mine. Seems OK to me, but as I've got no idea about the list-making rules for AT, I'm clueless as to whether or not this is a 'legal' build. From what I've read on Google it SHOULD be, seeing as the banners have 2/3 the same guys+weapons, but I'm not sure.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
That's legal! It'll come to something in the neighborhood of 1250 points depending on titan loadouts, which is a perfectly reasonably sized game to play. In a pure knights force, each banner has to be armed the same way, but as support banners for titans there are no limitations - you could have one lancer, one acheron and one castigator per banner if you really wanted to.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Major Isoor posted:

haha yeah, I love those li'l knights! I've always had a soft spot for tiny little mechs going up against big'uns :D

Alright so, in light of what you've said, I'm wondering about this:

Reaver (x1)
Warhound (x2)

Banner #1:

Banner #2:

Since this way, assuming I can afford it point-wise, I'll only need to worry about buying a 'Cerastus Knights Acheron & Castigator' pack and sourcing the Warhounds, with the lancer guys and reaver coming from a friend of mine. Seems OK to me, but as I've got no idea about the list-making rules for AT, I'm clueless as to whether or not this is a 'legal' build. From what I've read on Google it SHOULD be, seeing as the banners have 2/3 the same guys+weapons, but I'm not sure.

You'll be at just over 1250 points with that list. 1250 being the top end of the Skirmish bracket which is roughly a two hour game. You might need to drop an Acheron to get below. The Reaver is ~310 points depending on weapons. Warhounds are ~220 each. You can use the Venator Light maniple (1x Reaver & 2 Warhounds minimum - bonus shot from the Reaver whenever the 'hounds pop a target's shields.) Then the two Banners as reinforcements.

At 1250 you're going to be looking at likely seeing 2x Warhounds, a Reaver and a Warlord as common opposition.

That said, there is a handicap system in place to compensate if one side is 200 or more points lighter than the other so mismatched points isn't a huge problem.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 7, 2021

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, sounds good then! Surely six little knights could get up in a warlord's grill and give it the good old fashioned death of a thousand cuts, right? :D Otherwise, what if I just take like, two Reavers or two Warhounds in addition to the knights, if that's legal? Would that drop it to a better/more commonly-played points level?

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 7, 2021

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The currently in production box set for Titanicus (I think it's in production, at least?) is two Reavers, two Warhounds, and two Knight Lancers, so that's like solidly 75% of what you need for that entire list, too.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Adeptus-Titanicus-Core-Game-EN-2020

EDIT: if you're winning initiative with your dumb little Knight Lancers you can (and probably will) drag down a Warlord by the shins if you manage to get close enough in the first place. They're vicious little buggers and Warlords are not particularly manuverable.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Anyone else build a Treebeard yet? I have one component left on the sprue (not counting the alternative hand) and I have no idea where the hell it goes. It's part 61 and it's not mentioned anywhere in the instruction book that I can find. The right arm also had a step missing as far as I could tell so it's possible something was revised on one and not the other before it went into production.

Also, I magnetized the seats for Merry and Pippin and while I'm satisfied with my work, I don't know how necessary it was. They fit basically perfectly into place and it's not like the model is ever going to be upside down.

Edit: I found a digital version of the instructions and part 61 is part of the left leg. I need to check my printed booklet this evening to see if it's something I looked over or if it actually is different. I think the right arm instructions are different here as well.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 7, 2021

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Zarshia Bittersoul (with a head swap), that's Khagra's Ravagers 3/4 done!

What's the new head from? I like the look of that.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties

Atlas Hugged posted:

Anyone else build a Treebeard yet? I have one component left on the sprue (not counting the alternative hand) and I have no idea where the hell it goes. It's part 61 and it's not mentioned anywhere in the instruction book that I can find. The right arm also had a step missing as far as I could tell so it's possible something was revised on one and not the other before it went into production.

Also, I magnetized the seats for Merry and Pippin and while I'm satisfied with my work, I don't know how necessary it was. They fit basically perfectly into place and it's not like the model is ever going to be upside down.

Edit: I found a digital version of the instructions and part 61 is part of the left leg. I need to check my printed booklet this evening to see if it's something I looked over or if it actually is different. I think the right arm instructions are different here as well.

I never thought to check the digital version, I had a spare hand and a bit left over but I couldn’t find anywhere to put it ! I’ve primed it now so might just leave it

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Say...does anyone know where I can get little fir and/or spruce trees in the scale of AT, by any chance? I might end up doing the alpine theme I mentioned wanting to someday do afterall, a number of pages back. (Except maybe not the 'titan walking through a frozen river'...not sure how I'd do the ice and water for that. Filing down the feet would be doable enough though, to give the illusion of the river being deeper than a paddling pool)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Major Isoor posted:

Say...does anyone know where I can get little fir and/or spruce trees in the scale of AT, by any chance? I might end up doing the alpine theme I mentioned wanting to someday do afterall, a number of pages back. (Except maybe not the 'titan walking through a frozen river'...not sure how I'd do the ice and water for that. Filing down the feet would be doable enough though, to give the illusion of the river being deeper than a paddling pool)

EBay has loads. You can order them by the forest from China. For the price of a warhoubd you'll get enough trees to build a 1/300 scale Canadian wasteland.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

MeinPanzer posted:

What's the new head from? I like the look of that.

Chainrasp champion!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

by.a.teammate posted:

I never thought to check the digital version, I had a spare hand and a bit left over but I couldn’t find anywhere to put it ! I’ve primed it now so might just leave it

I've just checked and the digital version is in fact different than the printed version. I mistyped above and it is the right leg, on the step with pieces 14 and 13. Piece 61 goes at the bottom, so in between pieces 6b and 6a.

The right arm is also different between the physical and digital instructions as I suspected.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Awesome, thanks for the write up. It does sound fantastic. If I find the starter set at a decent price, I'll probably take the plunge.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I was reading a review of Cursed City today that said the figures are mostly push-fit, can anyone confirm/deny? I'm probably never going to get a chance to buy it anyway, but if it comes on sale again I'll probably give it a go if it's easy to put together. Just being cautious as although I loved the new Blood Bowl set, GW does make needlessly overcomplex minis sometimes and I don't know if I can get through 65 of them...

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

EBay has loads. You can order them by the forest from China. For the price of a warhoubd you'll get enough trees to build a 1/300 scale Canadian wasteland.

Nice - I'll take a look! I've also taken the plunge and bought two warhounds and a box of four knights. (I'll also get two reavers and two knights off a friend) That way I'll have a little flexibility, when it comes to point cost caps, etc.

EDIT: By the way, I'm not sure if this is strictly speaking where I'm meant to ask, but does anyone know if THIS silver metallic paint is OK to use, for both necron warriors etc. and (more importantly) the 'unpainted' areas of the warhounds, etc. I've ordered? I'm not sure if it's OK, or if it'll end up being too dull, etc. is all

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 8, 2021

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Okay so I hinted at getting some Epic dudes and I wanted to do some show and tell! Warning: images huge

Epic Chaos Horde! This was a thrift store find a few years ago but I found it in a box we packed a long time ago.

These guys were actually made for "Space Marine", the boxed set 6mm game that would be replaced by Epic itself. These Chaos dudes were from the second expansion.

The back of the box! Check out the included models, which includes Trolls (in 40k!), and Chaos Squats!

Mmmm, Squats.

Old SoB and Eowyn for scale. These lil friends are very small and very adorable. There are sculpts for all 4 Chaos gods, 300 models! Think of the value.

They include little "movement tray" bases that the figures just push into.

Don't look at these, they don't count as Epic!!!!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Marmaduke! posted:

I was reading a review of Cursed City today that said the figures are mostly push-fit, can anyone confirm/deny? I'm probably never going to get a chance to buy it anyway, but if it comes on sale again I'll probably give it a go if it's easy to put together. Just being cautious as although I loved the new Blood Bowl set, GW does make needlessly overcomplex minis sometimes and I don't know if I can get through 65 of them...

They’re all push-fit, yeah.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Okay so I hinted at getting some Epic dudes and I wanted to do some show and tell! Warning: images huge

Epic Chaos Horde! This was a thrift store find a few years ago but I found it in a box we packed a long time ago.

These guys were actually made for "Space Marine", the boxed set 6mm game that would be replaced by Epic itself. These Chaos dudes were from the second expansion.

The back of the box! Check out the included models, which includes Trolls (in 40k!), and Chaos Squats!

Mmmm, Squats.

Old SoB and Eowyn for scale. These lil friends are very small and very adorable. There are sculpts for all 4 Chaos gods, 300 models! Think of the value.

These are great, what an amazing box. Really appreciate this. I only got into Epic in the Armageddon era, so everything that came before is basically unknown to me.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Major Isoor posted:

Nice - I'll take a look! I've also taken the plunge and bought two warhounds and a box of four knights. (I'll also get two reavers and two knights off a friend) That way I'll have a little flexibility, when it comes to point cost caps, etc.

EDIT: By the way, I'm not sure if this is strictly speaking where I'm meant to ask, but does anyone know if THIS silver metallic paint is OK to use, for both necron warriors etc. and (more importantly) the 'unpainted' areas of the warhounds, etc. I've ordered? I'm not sure if it's OK, or if it'll end up being too dull, etc. is all

Army Painter colour primers are generally excellent in my experience but not tried the metallics.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Their metallics tend to separate a bit easily, before you use it the first time cut off a bit of sprue to use as an agitator and shake the hell out of it.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Marmaduke! posted:

Cursed City isn't a limited run. It's like Blackstone Fortress in the sense that it is the core game that'll be around for ages. The inevitable expansions on the other hand, not so much.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

BaronVanAwesome posted:

This box was awesome - it was $20 at the time, and if you looked at the Chaos Marine models, you realized that they represented each of the powers in the Chaos pantheon. It was really cool and had 300 frigging models! Granted, they are Epic scale, but when was the last time you got that much from GW for $20? It was literally an entire infantry force in a box.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

berzerkmonkey posted:

This box was awesome - it was $20 at the time, and if you looked at the Chaos Marine models, you realized that they represented each of the powers in the Chaos pantheon. It was really cool and had 300 frigging models! Granted, they are Epic scale, but when was the last time you got that much from GW for $20? It was literally an entire infantry force in a box.

Epic is the game 40K should be but the 40K player base is too ignorant to realize it.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

lilljonas posted:

Epic is the game 40K should be but the 40K player base is too ignorant to realize it.

It still amuses me that they released Epic-style rules for 28mm 40k models before they brought back full Epic. And within 12 months you couldn't buy them anymore.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They were gated behind a $100 box with no models, which is about the dumbest way to release a GW rules set.

I've seen copies collecting dust at five local stores. I'd buy it in a heartbeat on clearance, but that never happens.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Has there been any (fan-made) effort to bring tanks and poo poo into AT? I see 8mm "Lemon Rust" tanks all over various sites but I'm wondering if there's an agreed-upon ruleset for them or if this is just for people scaling up their NetEpic* collection to match the sexy new Titans?

*: Or whatever, I think that's what they call it?

E: Or is it better to use 6mm stuff with the AT titans to make them (scalewise) even bigger?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

lilljonas posted:

:hmmorks:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Mmmm, Squats.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh these are adorable I cant handle it

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Virtual Russian posted:

These are great, what an amazing box. Really appreciate this. I only got into Epic in the Armageddon era, so everything that came before is basically unknown to me.

I love show and tell time, thank you for watching!!!

Has anyone worked on 6mm stuff before? I've never played Flames of War or anything similar. For painting, is there a primer or something that would be better than others for not clogging up detail or obscuring stuff at this scale?

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Has anyone worked on 6mm stuff before? I've never played Flames of War or anything similar. For painting, is there a primer or something that would be better than others for not clogging up detail or obscuring stuff at this scale?

small model hints I have learned (15mm to 6mm)

- prime black is great for "shading" as at that scale just leaving a hint of black between two colors looks like a gradient
- paint lighter colors than you think you need, at the size, colors look darker than they are as the surface area is small, pick a color 2-3 shades lighter than normal
- don't sweat the details, I have trouble with this as its relearning to paint basically each time I switch scales, but truly just pick out the big details.
- Mileage may Vary, some people love washes and contrast paints at small scales, I am less enamored with them, washes still useful, but my 6mm contrast stuff just turned out "ok", didn't really save that much time.

Mr.Booger fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 8, 2021

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Major Isoor posted:

silver metallic paint is OK to use, for both necron warriors etc. and (more importantly) the 'unpainted' areas of the warhounds, etc. I've ordered? I'm not sure if it's OK, or if it'll end up being too dull, etc. is all

For metallic areas on Titans GW's Leadbelcher spray is excellent. Covers well, is hardwearing and colour matches the paint pot as well as Vallejo Model Air Gunmetal perfectly.

If you want to go shiny then Vallejo Model Air metallics (Steel, Chrome) is great out of an airbrush. If you want to go near mirror-sheen with acrylics then Vallejo Metal Colour is fantastic

If you absolutely have to ride shiny and chrome through the gates of Valhalla then you use Alclad. It's lacquer though so it's super toxic (use a respirator!) but you will get a proper mirror chrome effect.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Imagine what GW could produce in Epic scale with today’s plastics.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I exclusively do 6mm games these days. I have a really low tech set up and do everything by brush. I don't use a dedicated primer, but add high-flow medium to everything to thin it down.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Mr.Booger posted:

- prime black is great for "shading" as at that scale just leaving a hint of black between two colors looks like a gradient

I'm going to counter this by saying that, especially on infantry, you're not really going to get that shading effect on something that small, and the white you'll have to cover the black with will just add another layer to a model with detail that you can't afford to cover. In my experience, starting with white (unless a black model, duh) and using lighter colors then a wash works really well for shading small scale models.

I will definitely agree with the other statements, and reiterate that you'll want to go lighter than you think you need to - grimdark doesn't really work so well at that scale. Bright and contrasty works great.

If you have access to an airbrush, that's really going to help with thin coats. If not, just make sure your paints are properly thinned.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Crackbone posted:

Imagine what GW could produce in Epic scale with today’s plastics.

I am kind of hoping Old World is like that.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
The prime black works well for me on 15mm stuff (that's what I am painting now) but yeah, my last 6mm (some termies and a couple land raiders) I primed bonewhite, and horses I tend to prime brown. It does really come down to high contrast so you can see what the model is doing, however you get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Are Warbands retired between "seasons" of Underworld? I have a starter with the Briarqueen but don't see any of the warbands released around the same time anymore
Grabbed the Online game and figured I'd mess with the physical game as well while I wait for my Epic models to get to me