Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

There're some good facial expressions later in the base game, too. (Someone post the screenshot, you know which one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
They are hardly Andromeda bad though.

Maybe it comes down to having to alter the model of Aloy due to Rose Leslie not being on board with it (nor them not paying her).

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Aloy isn’t physically based on Rose Leslie (though obviously inspired by her character on GoT). She’s based on Hannah Hoekstra, a Dutch actress

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Yeah the facial animations are super stiff in the main game. Avad was particularly bad, guy seemed like he had just gotten done with some botox injections. The animations in the DLC are fantastic.

ashpanash posted:

Aloy didn't completely save the world at the end. She just stopped the immediate threat. GAIA still needs to be rebuilt and the subordinate functions dealt with or the terraforming system will ultimately fail.

We don't really know what Sylens' intentions are. It's nearly impossible to believe they are altogether altruistic, but at the same time, it's not clear that they are absolutely evil. And if Aloy truly wants to save the world, she's going to need the help of people like Sylens. So I like the stinger. It's ambiguous enough to imply that there's more story to tell, not that Sylens is straight-up the new antagonist.

I bet Sylens capturing HADES will gently caress us over majorly and then turn out to be integral in saving rebuilding GAIA, just like Ted's machinations hosed everything over majorly but turned out to be integral in stopping HADES.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Admiral Ray posted:

Yeah the facial animations are super stiff in the main game. Avad was particularly bad, guy seemed like he had just gotten done with some botox injections. The animations in the DLC are fantastic.

I bet Sylens capturing HADES will gently caress us over majorly and then turn out to be integral in saving rebuilding GAIA, just like Ted's machinations hosed everything over majorly but turned out to be integral in stopping HADES.

If you guys were to speculate on this series do you think the sequel will provide enough progress/closure/revelation about the plot to satisfy? Or will this series get dragged out across 15 years of bread crumb incremental story reveals with cliff hangers designed to keep us invested in the plot without ever really ending things? (Think Assassins Creed)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kraftwerk posted:

If you guys were to speculate on this series do you think the sequel will provide enough progress/closure/revelation about the plot to satisfy? Or will this series get dragged out across 15 years of bread crumb incremental story reveals with cliff hangers designed to keep us invested in the plot without ever really ending things? (Think Assassins Creed)

ubisoft has nothing to do with the series

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
HZD itself is a good, complete story with closure for the main characters. The sequel hooks are almost purely of the "oh yeah there's still other poo poo we've hinted at in background lore out there in the world, plus that one bad guy whose defeat wasn't accomplished by killing them in the first place? Yeah, they're still alive." variety. I'm not too worried about it.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

honestly, outriders has a better story than horizon

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

HZD itself is a good, complete story with closure for the main characters. The sequel hooks are almost purely of the "oh yeah there's still other poo poo we've hinted at in background lore out there in the world, plus that one bad guy whose defeat wasn't accomplished by killing them in the first place? Yeah, they're still alive." variety. I don't know what people are so worried about.

Well it's that big picture aspect of the background lore. Maybe this isn't important to most players but finding out that you could restore technological society and that the planet needs a terraforming AI restored or else it will slowly die out is a pretty big reveal that requires a satisfactory conclusion.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

theCalamity posted:

Aloy isn’t physically based on Rose Leslie (though obviously inspired by her character on GoT). She’s based on Hannah Hoekstra, a Dutch actress

Really, I had heard her people had asked Guerrilla to change how Aloy looked. Perhaps I imagined it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Qmass posted:

that... sure is a take, and one I'd like to read justification for

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Qmass posted:

Source your quotes.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Qmass posted:

I doubt that.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Collateral posted:

Really, I had heard her people had asked Guerrilla to change how Aloy looked. Perhaps I imagined it.

Seems like Rose Leslie thinks Aloy was inspired by GOT, but honestly aside from "red hair and a bow" there isn't much similarity. Her evidence seemed to be "look, heres me holding a bow. And heres aloy holding a bow. Obviously inspired!"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Kraftwerk posted:

Well it's that big picture aspect of the background lore. Maybe this isn't important to most players but finding out that you could restore technological society and that the planet needs a terraforming AI restored or else it will slowly die out is a pretty big reveal that requires a satisfactory conclusion.

It was clever of them to fold a time/budget constraint (we only have time to make a few different species of plants and animals) into the story. Working around restrictions can be a good thing for creativity.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Defiance Industries posted:

It was clever of them to fold a time/budget constraint (we only have time to make a few different species of plants and animals) into the story. Working around restrictions can be a good thing for creativity.

This was actually a creative decision by John Gonzalez. Originally Horizon had regular horses as mounts, but he came onto the project and said "nothing larger than turkeys" for lore reasons.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Oh, well it also saved them a lot of work, so two birds. I remember thinking "how does this food web even function?" and turns out it doesn't. They probably can't stop hunting machines for stuff to make tools with, either, since there's probably not a lot of other resources readily accessible with Neolithic technology.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

This was actually a creative decision by John Gonzalez. Originally Horizon had regular horses as mounts, but he came onto the project and said "nothing larger than turkeys" for lore reasons.

The Noclip making-of documentary discussed that. It was a big point of contention. They really really wanted horses and Gonzalez was equally adamant that they ditch them. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. GG looks like a really cool place to work, though obviously they would put their best foot forward for the doc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9tLcD1r-6w

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

exquisite tea posted:

There's a couple side quests where you follow cart tracks and they seem big enough that they'd be pulled by some sort of pack animal. But I guess they're just human-powered too?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Could have sworn I already posted this hot take :v:

Anyway HZD is still one of the best looking games IMO. I know there are more advanced graphics engines with ray tracing and poo poo, but the overall look of this game is still just fantastic.

Are there any mods worth using now that the game has been patched up good?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Edit: Never mind. I do not know the difference between Wednesday and Thursday.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 26, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I thought that was happening on Thursday the 27th.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

I thought that was happening on Thursday the 27th.

Holy loving poo poo, I thought it was Thursday. Editing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Y’all got me second guessing what day it is now

Vaniljcola
Jul 11, 2009
Stream is live now, but only showing some ingame areas.
There is a countdown that's at 1h 40min now.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The craziest possible event would be a sudden, simultaneous sequel release on PC and PS4.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

dragonshardz posted:

The craziest possible event would be a sudden, simultaneous sequel release on PC and PS4.

Is Forbidden West coming straight to PC or will it be a delayed port like the original? And I assume it's a paid DLC that you can only get if you have the original game?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Play posted:

Is Forbidden West coming straight to PC or will it be a delayed port like the original? And I assume it's a paid DLC that you can only get if you have the original game?

pretty sure it's a separate game, not a DLC, but no drat idea on whether it's a timed PS5 exclusive or whatever

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It'll be a PS5 game for a good long while.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

It'll be a PS5 game for a good long while.

Probably.

I bet they do port it eventually though, IIRC HZD sold real well on PC when they finally released it, so it would be dumb not to.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Play posted:

I am hoping that Sony opts to released Forbidden West, which is a full sequel, simultaneously on PS5 and PC.

I doubt it will happen, but I'd love it if they did.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The ads for it are literally saying PS5 exclusive it’s not going to release on PC for years at best.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Kibayasu posted:

The ads for it are literally saying PS5 exclusive it’s not going to release on PC for years at best.

You just enjoy twisting the knife don't you?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tough love is still love.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Well if it makes you feel any better, PS5 owners still have no idea when it's going to come out either!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Kibayasu posted:

I can dream, Harold.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Well if it makes you feel any better, PS5 owners still have no idea when it's going to come out either!

Probably when the PS5 comes out.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
*points to thread title*

Smug PS5 owners should probably find their OWN thread :colbert: ;)

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
drat that gameplay video look dope. Hope PCs won't have to wait 2 or 3 years for a port, but if they do they'll get it around the same time people can finally walk into stores and buy PS5s.

Recently I found someone actually defending Ted Faro's honor in the wild. I dunno why I thought I'd never see that, but it is very bizarre.

Admiral Ray fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Admiral Ray posted:

drat that gameplay video look dope. Hope PCs won't have to wait 2 or 3 years for a port, but if they do they'll get it around the same time people can finally walk into stores and buy PS5s.

It's probably going to be that long before good video cards are actually buyable for PCs too!

:smith: