Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Today after work I’m meeting up with my vaccinated pals to go on our first of hopefully many weekly bicycle rides. I’ve basically only seen them once in the last year, so I am very excited. :unsmith:

Also, I’m having leftover stuffed crust for lunch :can:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

LeeMajors posted:

I can’t get over the cult of trump. I just can’t. It’s broken my brain that any person capable of functioning day to day can look at that man and take him seriously on anything. I wouldn’t trust him to run a loving hot dog stand. He’s a profoundly transparent, self-aggrandizing snake oil salesman and has been a laughing stock for more than four decades.

It’d be hilarious if it weren’t so destructive and heartbreaking.

My parents will be two weeks post vax by the end of the month and I’m very excited for them to get some quality time.

For all their hosed up political poo poo they’re super good and engaged w their granddaughter and they know I’ll yank their privileges in a second if they get too out of line with her.

I think Trump would've been great if he just worked at The Wiener Circle in Chicago, the staff are just constantly insulting the customers.

My dad had his second shot last week, I get my second shot on 4/23. It'll be nice to be able to go over this place and not worry about getting him sick. We've hung outside a few times, but we can't always do that. We had family over for my kid's 2nd birthday a few weeks ago and my dad had to miss it because he came into contact with someone who had COVID. I'll be so glad for that part to be over with.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

seiferguy posted:

At the end of the day, despite all the technology in the world, kids are still kids. My parents were able to have their grandkids over after a year without them because they're 2 weeks past vaccination (and my brother and his wife have been vaccinated since January). They bring the kids over and ask the youngest what he wants to do, and he says "I've got some shoveling I need to do." Dude loves farm equipment and apparently wants to shovel bark on my parent's yard lol

This is adorable.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Ehud posted:

It took me 30 something years to realize that we are so different that our relationship can never be anything but surface level bullshit that I don't even care about.

Ugh this point hit me like a ton of bricks. I've been frustrated for a few years now that conversations with my mom are limited to small talk or her passive-aggressively complaining about something. While a lot of it is simply my mom being terrible at conversation/asking questions, this is a big part of why I don't hold up my end - I don't want to know.

And it's breaking my heart that she's all of a sudden letting racist dogwhistles slip while visiting this time ("illegal immigrants are bringing Covid into this country" and using a pejorative term for haggling when talking about trying to sell her junk).

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

General Dog posted:

Trump was a bad president, and he’s a bad friend.

At least the part about not asking for a pardon is responding to the NYT story about Gaetz asking for a blanket pardon. It is a pretty :effort: couple of sentences considering Trump could have fanned the conspiracy flames.

Both Trump and Tucker's responses seem to be going through the motions of making a statement or giving Gaetz a platform, but also going out of their way not to get too involved.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

General Dog posted:

Trump was a bad president, and he’s a bad friend.

still voted for him twice tho right

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

JPrime posted:

still voted for him twice tho right

Nope, Hilldawg in 2016 and left President blank in 2020.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

College Slice

General Dog posted:

this does not jibe with my mental picture of you

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

JPrime posted:

General Dog posted:

It's me, I'm classic dual-issue Republican voter (anti-inflation and pro-drilling).

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

JPrime posted:

I mean yeah, how does a dog even vote in the first place:confuoot:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

General Dog posted:

This makes so little sense.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

College Slice

between that and the Rush Fanboyism, I mean yea

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The Glumslinger posted:

Do you salute or pet a dog of such high rank? I would be intimidated either way...

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Ehud posted:

I don't really think there is a good answer because she lives in a totally different reality. We cannot even agree on what constitutes a fact, or that there are effective methodologies to help us figure out when something is true. She just has no discernible system of internal logic or critical thinking.

I also believe that she is afraid to confront any of her beliefs (religious, political, the distrust of science and medicine) because they are so heavily intertwined. At her core, my mom needs her religious beliefs to be true because she has been through a lot of trauma.

She did 20 years in an abusive marriage, she lost a daughter to a car accident, then she lost a niece (which she raised as a daughter) to suicide. She needs to believe that her experiences were part of a bigger plan that she doesn't understand (but god does) and that she will see her daughter and niece again one day. She has told me that this is the only thing that keeps her going, otherwise she just wants to die because she's so stricken with grief.

So if you start pulling at one thread in the fabric of her beliefs, she gets super defensive and uncomfortable and starts crying. It's like, "If I was wrong about THIS I might be wrong about other things." And she's so mentally broken that she cannot even entertain a conversation as seemingly innocuous as, "Hey, maybe climate change is actually true." without sobbing and accusing me of being deceived by Satan.

It took me 30 something years to realize that we are so different that our relationship can never be anything but surface level bullshit that I don't even care about.
I think I already know the answer but has your mom ever been to therapy?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Also Hillary and (this space intentionally left blank) puts you to the left of both of the archetypes for millennial Republicans I described. Especially the small-town coworkers. I watched a few of them go from "ugh this is a terrible pair of candidates" in August 2016, to "I've lived through eight years of the most embarrassing president we've ever had, give Trump a chance" in November 2016, and now I wouldn't be surprised to recognize them from the Capitol raid footage.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

Show me where it says in the Constitution where a dog can't vote

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Do you salute or pet a dog of such high rank? I would be intimidated either way...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Silly Burrito posted:

Yeah I talked with my boss about that. I'm all in favor of requiring the passports for things like cruises. For all the people that bitch and say "well I'm not cruising then", there are people like me who say "Only verified people with Covid-19 vaccinations will be allowed on the ship? Sign me the hell up."

I understand you and your wife enjoy cruises, but I really, really wish COVID had completely and utterly destroyed that entire industry to the point it would take years for any company to even think about hosting another one.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

General Dog posted:

Show me where it says in the Constitution where a dog can't vote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt40yL31mdc

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Just got back from taking my mom for stabbing number 2. Whole family is vaxxed now! Let the subway pole licking begin!

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

my mom went yesterday for shot 2 and apparently since they shifted from 24/7 to starting at 5pm due to the heat it's been awful. the appointment was at... 6:45? 6:15? and she had to wait until like 7:30 for the shot. state farm stadium for the local goons.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Dango Bango posted:

Ugh this point hit me like a ton of bricks. I've been frustrated for a few years now that conversations with my mom are limited to small talk or her passive-aggressively complaining about something. While a lot of it is simply my mom being terrible at conversation/asking questions, this is a big part of why I don't hold up my end - I don't want to know.

And it's breaking my heart that she's all of a sudden letting racist dogwhistles slip while visiting this time ("illegal immigrants are bringing Covid into this country" and using a pejorative term for haggling when talking about trying to sell her junk).

Sorry, bud. I spent years being frustrated and trying to find some kind of breakthrough with my mom. Somebody in TFF pointed out that you have no obligation to have a certain kind of relationship with a toxic person just because you're related.

So I tried to put up some boundaries (no religion, politics, etc.) and she kept violating them. Then I cut her off for over a year. We're talking again now, but basically just about baby stuff.

Now I just feel indifferent towards her. Then I feel guilty that I feel indifferent towards my own mom. I guess this is how it will be for the rest of my life :shrug:

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I think I already know the answer but has your mom ever been to therapy?

I offered to find her a therapist and pay for it. She refused. Then I begged her to let me do it. She refused. I asked my aunt (my mom's sister and best friend) to try and convince my mom to go to therapy. She refused.

She told me that the way she feels (spending every waking moment wanting to die because of her grief) is actually normal and I just don't understand because I never lost a child.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Skwirl posted:

I understand you and your wife enjoy cruises, but I really, really wish COVID had completely and utterly destroyed that entire industry to the point it would take years for any company to even think about hosting another one.

That's wishing a lot of people out of a job.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

shirts and skins posted:

You'll age and stay in touch perfectly fine if you are humble about your beliefs and remain willing to learn and grow. My parents are largely good at this and we have stayed close. You'll all do great as parents, just asking and thinking about these questions puts you all well ahead of the curve.

Yeah, my entire family, including grandparents while they were alive, have always existed on the "care about others" side of the politics spectrum. Even my insane aunt who is super racist (came to Thanksgiving that my neighbors were also at, a Black man with a Latina wife, then insisted she'd seen them outside her condo an hour away that they'd have no reason to ever be near) adores her mixed race grandchildren.

It was weird because towards the end of my grandparents life I'd find out things that made them way more leftist than I'd previously thought. One set of grandparents voted for Jesse Jackson. Grandma on the other side would take pregnant women who didn't want to be on "shopping trips" up to Canada when abortion was illegal in Washington State.

I read stories about people's insane family and I'm empathetic but I have absolutely no personal frame of reference for it, so I don't think it's inevitable that you become a mouth frothing lunatic as you age.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Braksgirl posted:

That's wishing a lot of people out of a job.

They should be provided for financially, but just because something that is absolutely a horrible burden on the environment also provides people jobs doesn't mean it should still exist. I don't want General Dog destitute on the streets but I also think fracking should be illegal.

This isn't the environment but just a public good, I still want universal Healthcare even though it would eliminate a ton of jobs in the insurance industry, I think we should eliminate cash bail even though it would gently caress up the lively hood of bail bondsmen. We should abolish police but I don't want the cops starving (mostly because I know they would almost instantly turn to a life of crime, given it's the only thing they know).

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Pizza Dog being in the upcoming Hawkeye show is one of the faint residual bits of interest I have in the MCU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Thaddius the Large posted:

Pizza Dog being in the upcoming Hawkeye show is one of the faint residual bits of interest I have in the MCU
THEY MADE PIZZA DOG A GOLDEN RETRIEVER
https://twitter.com/MarvelNewsHub/status/1334273023063441409

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Franconia spitting truth.

https://twitter.com/RuiterWrongFAN/status/1379843665036730369?s=19

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

College Slice

hifi posted:

my mom went yesterday for shot 2 and apparently since they shifted from 24/7 to starting at 5pm due to the heat it's been awful. the appointment was at... 6:45? 6:15? and she had to wait until like 7:30 for the shot. state farm stadium for the local goons.

this was my wife's experience, we're right up the road from the stadium and door to door it took us almost as long to get hers as it took me to get mine all the way down in mesa

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I read stories about people's insane family and I'm empathetic but I have absolutely no personal frame of reference for it, so I don't think it's inevitable that you become a mouth frothing lunatic as you age.

Yeah this, at least in terms of politics. My mom has been complaining about the democrats not being far enough left since Clinton. Paul Wellstone was one of her idols, although she said even he was to the right of her politically. Both my parents were actively worried about Trump winning again and having to try and emigrate from the US during the pandemic.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Skwirl posted:

That's going to be hard to do. People enjoy cruising. It can be a fairly inexpensive vacation and way to see different parts of the world in comfort (and to let your hair down and have a good time). I know it's not a perfect industry, but I don't see it going away any time soon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

That's going to be hard to do. People enjoy cruising. It can be a fairly inexpensive vacation and way to see different parts of the world in comfort (and to let your hair down and have a good time). I know it's not a perfect industry, but I don't see it going away any time soon.

It would have been easy a year ago, give financial support to the people who lost their jobs on cruise ships and absolutely none to the companies that ran them, but instead we did the opposite.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Skwirl posted:

It would have been easy a year ago, give financial support to the people who lost their jobs on cruise ships and absolutely none to the companies that ran them, but instead we did the opposite.

I thought we told most of the cruise industry to get hosed because most of the ships had flags of convenience

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Yeah cruise lines aren’t actually based in the US. They’re based in tiny rear end tax shelter islands.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Skwirl posted:

As someone who has worked with the cruise industry I'm with you that it'd be overall good for the world if it ended, but it's not nearly as easy as you make it sound. Very, very few Americans work on those ships. Usually the only Americans you see are youth staff. The vast bulk of employees are Filipino, Indonesian, or Indian, and the ships are all foreign flag registered. I doubt most employees would be provided for in any way if the industry dies out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Then we should have torpedoed them while they were sitting empty. Could use their husks to rebuild the dying coral reefs.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Important interview

https://twitter.com/derektmead/status/1379853281904652288?s=19

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It’s honestly amazing the lengths that Cruise Ship companies will go to fit through loopholes. Like they’ll make seemingly random detours to tiny uninhabited islands in the middle of nowhere because the company owns it and by driving by it classifies the company as something else or some poo poo. It’s bonkers.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
It's going to be another brutal year for SE Alaska, too. Their economy is basically fishing and tourism, and cruise ships are the only feasible way to do the latter because it's not accessible by road. The Canadians have scotched the 2021 season by banning the ships from their waters. Juneau has the legislature and will be fine, but I don't know what people in Ketchikan or Sitka will do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It's unfortunate but maybe foreseeable that the Indians would have a tough time of it.