Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

EmmyOk posted:

Barely visible to them is just regularly visible i think. Also playing any games on a 4K are a few years old especially from like early ps3 or ps2 I need to max out brightness and often still can’t see the thing

Is 4k the reason for this? I noticed my new oled looks so much darker than my plasmas no matter what I do and I always assumed it was oled technology but it's actually just from 4k? why does the higher resolution effect brightness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Is 4k the reason for this? I noticed my new oled looks so much darker than my plasmas no matter what I do and I always assumed it was oled technology but it's actually just from 4k? why does the higher resolution effect brightness?

I think it’s the HDR but all the 4K generally have HDR generally and older games just end up with poo poo contrast because of it

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Like whenever I clip stuff on PS4 it mentions it doesn’t save with hdr and those clips look way darker off colour also

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't like or understand HDR and generally just turn it off

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I don't like or understand HDR and generally just turn it off

If uncleatnintendo can't understand it, what hope have we

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Normally if you go super far dark everything is black and the same for bright whites. HDR just allows you to tho further and keep detail and colour past those boundaries. My personal reckoning is that playing older games on newer TVs with HDR is why those games end up much darker as they can’t work well with hdr as they can’t handle the much greater possible variances so stuff blacks out

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

starting to feel like a boomer who has to have his kids turn motion blur off and explain what it is every time they come over.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i 100% want to have kids so i can stop paying attention to technological advances and make them deal with it for me

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

i 100% want to have kids so i can stop paying attention to technological advances and make them deal with it for me

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

my oldest wasn't even two before he learned how to make our Google Home work, so now I know it can sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

my oldest wasn't even two before he learned how to make our Google Home work, so now I know it can sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

lmfao

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

lol

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Arrhythmia posted:

If uncleatnintendo can't understand it, what hope have we

bro do not look to uncle nintendo for anything to do with display technology lest we get 15 pages of him not understanding what resolution is. hell he just asked if 4k makes the screen darker.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

4k = brighter. each pixel is a dot of light, more light is more bright

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

My gaming’s so bright, I gotta wear shades

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Bicyclops posted:

Lol my niece operates my mother’s Alexa like a pro and she’s like 4

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

absolutely anything posted:

bro do not look to uncle nintendo for anything to do with display technology lest we get 15 pages of him not understanding what resolution is. hell he just asked if 4k makes the screen darker.
Don't fear, he makes weird rear end book long posts in the HDTV thread too.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Pixel refresher is legit; on plasmas they called it "pixel shifting". For what it's worth, I have 4 plasma TVs in my home (3 Panasonic and one Pioneer from 2006!) and absolutely none of them have burn in. The Pioneer plasma is on all day running educational programming as background noise while my kids are in the home, and all of it is 4:3. I don't have a spec of burn-in from "black borders" being displayed for hours at a time day after day. The places where you really saw the issue were maybe places like a sports bar where a station logo would appear burned-in but the TV was running 18 hours a day on the same station.

If it makes you feel better I gave my wife an Android phone as a permanent GPS in her car, and it has an OLED screen. She does a ridiculous amount of driving for work, and with Waze being on for 4 hours a day for 2 years, you can kinda make out the little circle from the navbar if you put on a completely white screen and look closely. I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you.

Thanks for all the help. I ended up going with the Sony HW45ES. It is more or less the best-rated projector that's under 2k. I got it brand new on eBay for $1,400, complete with 3 year return policy. I figured no way in hell could I beat that for a 120" screen.

My basement isn't finished yet so I only got to play with it for 5 minutes while projecting it onto a living room wall just to make sure it worked, so here is a picture of the image quality (I did not do any calibration whatsoever):

(it would have been too much work to plug in a DVD player or something so I just used a SuperNT real quick)

So I am happy it works, but here is what surprised the hell out of me. Look at how good the image is with every single light in the living room on full brightness, during the daytime

I couldn't believe how it was still a good 85% visible with every one of my bright-rear end LED high hats on. My kitchen and living room are both "open" (no walls) so it's actually a total of 12 high hats on full brightness, again smack in the middle of the day when the sun is lighting my house up. I remember a projector my father had back in 2007 or so and while it seemed great, if the tiniest bit of light was in the room the image was a struggle to look at. I am really pleased with this projector for the price. I can't wait to see what it will look like at 120"

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

to be fair, that does look pretty good

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mario's mustache sticks out way too far in those screenshots

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Martman posted:

Mario's mustache sticks out way too far in those screenshots

COVID has done a number on all our hair.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
Vr, ethnic minorites, AAA gane deaign, narratives, qtes, prioritizing "realistic" graphics over everything, israel

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
Removal of the vagina bone from nintendo pirsucts

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

An NPC repeatedly saying "hrmmm could it be something to do with the symbols?" etc. constantly when you're trying to figure out a puzzle

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Amassing all sorts of gear along your way to the final boss, only to be forced into using some crappy and/or unsatisfying weapon/object against said boss if you want to actually win.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Amassing all sorts of gear along your way to the final boss, only to be forced into using some crappy and/or unsatisfying weapon/object against said boss if you want to actually win.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

you liteerally have to game over if you dont have enough bubbele

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mega-Mensch get equipped with Bubbele Lead

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

An NPC repeatedly saying "hrmmm could it be something to do with the symbols?" etc. constantly when you're trying to figure out a puzzle

Worse is in Persona 5 when Makoto would figure out a puzzle before you and try to give you hints like youre a mentally damaged baby.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Worse is in Persona 5 when Makoto would figure out a puzzle before you and try to give you hints like youre a mentally damaged baby.

Awful

I was doing a puzzle in Control where you need to put symbols in order based on a bunch of whiteboards with parts of the information. The whole two or three minutes every 20 seconds had an NPC saying “something about the symbols” or “maybe the whiteboards have a clue”

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

for some reason that reminds me of all the times in the witcher a hunt is like "Open your menu and read the entry on leshens" and you're like "I've killed like 20 of those in the past hour, dandelion. I have the superior oil on my sword already and there's a trophy hanging off my horse."

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Awful

I was doing a puzzle in Control where you need to put symbols in order based on a bunch of whiteboards with parts of the information. The whole two or three minutes every 20 seconds had an NPC saying “something about the symbols” or “maybe the whiteboards have a clue”

they were probably right about the whiteboards though

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

When posting I was thinking more along the lines of the Soul Cube in Doom 3 (which turns the Cyberdemon fight into a completely unsatisfying loving joke) but this crappy finale hits right on the nose too.

mycophobia posted:

you liteerally have to game over if you dont have enough bubbele
"MeGa MaN 2 iS tHe BeSt GaMe In ThE sErIeS" despite having two bosses that each require crap special weapons to beat, where the other one is basically a giant unwinnable "gently caress you" if you miss even once* in a room full of flickering sprites and slowdown :bravo:

Have fun grinding out ammo refills for Crash Bomber every time you gently caress it up :buddy:

*Unless you manage a very precise trickshot but even so you're more likely to waste shots trying to pull it off.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

"MeGa MaN 2 iS tHe BeSt GaMe In ThE sErIeS" despite having two bosses that each require crap special weapons to beat, where the other one is basically a giant unwinnable "gently caress you" if you miss even once* in a room full of flickering sprites and slowdown :bravo:

Have fun grinding out ammo refills for Crash Bomber every time you gently caress it up :buddy:

*Unless you manage a very precise trickshot but even so you're more likely to waste shots trying to pull it off.

yes

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Mega Man 2 is the best Mega Man.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Haha yeah man anyway I need to head out

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

Mega Man 2 is the best Mega Man.

EmmyOk posted:

Haha yeah man anyway I need to head out

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i like 1 better

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

When posting I was thinking more along the lines of the Soul Cube in Doom 3 (which turns the Cyberdemon fight into a completely unsatisfying loving joke) but this crappy finale hits right on the nose too.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

We talking just Mega Mans or the entire franchise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2 and 3 are probably tied for best IMO but my favorite is Mega Man X, just because it was my cozy "i can beat this in like an hour without having to think too hard" background game for a long time.