Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Steakandchips posted:

Continuing the Goldwing chat from the other thread, take a look at this one:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/277423003998101/

A 1991 Honda GL1500SE Goldwing in gold/brown. 27000 miles. £5295.

It seems decent.

How are the GL 1500 generation?

Comfy, good for 10000 motorway miles per annum, rain, snow, sun?

Give me your thoughts. 5 grand for a 'wing seems very nice.

That bike will last you until 150k miles easy. The 1500’s are 6 cylinder engines as opposed to the 1000, 1100 and 1200 which are 4 cylinders

They are still carbureted so if the carbs are dirty you’ll be in for a treat. If they’re fine, some seafoam every once in a while to keep them clean should be all you need.

The 1500 does have more plastic than the 1200, but they aren’t too awfully different. If you’re used to working on a modern sport bike that needs to be completely disrobed to do any work, it’s not too dissimilar. I would rate my 1200 Goldwing and my old gsxr600 as equally obnoxious to work on, both due to the plastic.

If that bike runs well and passes the standard used bike sniff tests (it’s just a normal carbureted shaft drive bike at the end of the day), I wouldn’t be worried about it.

Due to the side bags and the shaft drive, getting the rear wheel off is a pain, but that’s the case all the way back to the 1100cc goldwings

E: I’d argue the physical footprint of a Goldwing is no worse than a Harley touring bike, which suffers the same size issues.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Good input guys, thank you.

Should I need to travel for work (most likely if If I get the job I'm in the running for), I'll get a 2018 or newer GL1800, and have it serviced by the dealer/local mechanics.

I'll be crossing the country twice every month, so it seems like a worthwhile proposition. I'll trade in the Fat Bob if I decide to go for it.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They are still carbureted so if the carbs are dirty you’ll be in for a treat. If they’re fine, some seafoam every once in a while to keep them clean should be all you need.

Due to the side bags and the shaft drive, getting the rear wheel off is a pain, but that’s the case all the way back to the 1100cc goldwings

Weren't some of the models FI by this point?

Rear tire change is a giant pain on the GL1100, I believe the manual even states you need to remove the final drive but I was able to get mine on and off without that but with increased verbal volatility.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Some of the 1500’s were FI but I don’t know what defines that delineation

I was going to take the rear wheel off my 1200 to grease the splines, but then I read into the process and just decided to skip it until I need a tire.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slavvy posted:

I think goldwings are overkill for most things and people. Yeah they're the last word in touring blah blah but their logistical and physical footprint is enormous and the newer ones are absolutely infuriating to work on (air filter on a gl1600 involves removing basically all the bodywork on the bike), it simply isn't worth it for most people. You have to either specifically really badly want an Oldwing (people itt) or you're doing international camping journeys regularly (boomers not itt).

I think the slightly smaller class of bike like the fj1300, c14, big ADV's with small wheels etc are much much better for what most people who want a touring bike actually do. More normal proportions, more normal to work on, much nicer in corners and traffic and all the non-continental journeys that comprise 90% of the bike's life.
I second most of this opinion. Not sure what you mean about footprint, as you want your touring bike to be long and bottom heavy for max comfort. Best to try them all, and see what works best for your height, weight and abilities. Start with a BMW RT line, use it for baseline comparison.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah, definitely going to have a sit on the 1200 RTs.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jazzzzz posted:

There are plenty of sport tourers that should fit the bill, especially since you were looking at a Hayabusa to start with.

Kawasaki Concours
Kawasaki Versys (1000 or 650)
Yamaha FJR1300
Yamaha Tracer 900 / GT - believe you get a Tracer 700 over there as well
Honda ST1300 (these will be older, it's been a discontinued model for a while)
Honda VFR1200 (also discontinued)

I'll throw the 2013-2017 Triumph Trophy out there too, but I can't speak to its reliability.

All of these bikes are smaller and lighter than a Goldwing, by varying degrees (the FJR/Concours/ST1300 will be in the 600lb ballpark, the Tracer quite a bit less). Weight = feels stable at speed on the motorway, but also sucks to move around at low speed.

I've personally owned 2 FJRs and will attest to their ability to eat miles on the slab in poo poo weather quite comfortably, once a couple of tweaks were made (larger windshield, aftermarket seat, heated grips which are now a factory option). Never had to do anything to them other than replace fluids and tires.

Decided not to go for something as sporty ergo-ed as the Busa.

Not a fan of adventure bikes, so the Versys and Tracer is out.
The Honda VFR1200F looks too sporty ergo-ed.

The Kawasaki Concours / GTR 1400 (as it is called in the UK) seems nice.
The Yamaha FJR1300 seems nice too.
The Honda ST1300 Pan Europeans look very nice.

Will look into these more, get a sit on them hopefully, along with the BMW R 1200 RT (but won't buy that...).

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Steakandchips posted:

Not a fan of adventure bikes, so the Versys and Tracer is out.

The Tracer isn't an ADV bike, try it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There's like four ADV bikes that are actually worthy of the name, all the rest are just really tall, incredibly stupid looking tourers.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The Tracer is a bit tall and silly looking...

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202102259465486
Ok, at 4000 quid, with these features (ABS, heated grips and seat, cruise control, panniers) and full BMW service history (maybe it won't grenade itself quite so fast...), this 1200 RT is quite tempting (but not if I have to go in to London - 2005 bike, not ULEZ compliant)...

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
If you're willing to look at 16 year old BMWs you might as well look at the Moto Guzzi Norge GT 8V, it's newer and stands roughly the same chance of breaking catastrophically but the parts will be cheaper.

gently caress it, jump into the deep end and try to find a used MV Turismo Veloce

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The only reason I looked at that was because it had so many creature comforts on it; there aren't any MV's with the following filters applied, at least not on Autotrader:
"ABS, heated grips, heated seat, cruise".

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
https://facebook.com/marketplace/item/508240683527855/

Any red flags to look out for? I'm trying to buy my first bike and trying to find a sub $4.5k ABS equipped 300 naked bike that's not too old or owned by a chud in Dallas is harder than I thought it'd be.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Learner bikes are always dropped, it's going to be fine.

Just be sure to look at it in person and make sure the forks are true, the handlebars too, that it brakes evenly etc. Take an experienced biker buddy with you.

Cosmetic scratches etc, just ignore them, it's a first bike.

Bargain a little bit to try and get some money off for the scratches though!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

This FJR1300 is looking pretty great.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FJR1300a-2008/164801979421

It's 8 miles away and I am absolutely gagging at the bit to take a look, but COVID travel restrictions mean I can't take a look right now (have to wait till the 26th of April at least).

Stupid question: how expensive is it to add cruise control to a 2008 FJR if it did not come with one?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Steakandchips posted:

It's 8 miles away and I am absolutely gagging at the bit to take a look, but COVID travel restrictions mean I can't take a look right now (have to wait till the 26th of April at least).

Stupid question: how expensive is it to add cruise control to a 2008 FJR if it did not come with one?

You can put a throttle lock on any bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a friend who went down the cruise control rabbit hole on his concours 14.

Long story short, unless there is a later revision of the bike with throttle bodies, ecu and hand controls that have it built in that you can just swap on, it’s not worth it

Just get a throttle lock.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Fair point. The "Kaoko Throttle Lock Yamaha R1 / R6 / FJR1300" looks p decent and is available in the UK too.

I hope this bike is still available by the 26th, when we will be allowed to travel about more...

£135 to insure it, TPFT. Not bad at all.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 8, 2021

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Steakandchips posted:

That's a beautiful bike. Love the colorways.

You mean to tell me that while people are gathered en masse here at breweries and tourist traps, no masks in sight, you aren't even allowed to travel 8 miles to look at a bike?! I wish the USA had a bit of that.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Yes. I am only allowed to travel within my local council area (Stirling Council). The bike is in Clackmannanshire council.

Stirling Council is in level 4 lockdown (the highest).

Details here if you are interested, particularly related to travelling in, into and out of L4 areas: https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-travel-and-transport/

It's a really good looking bike and looks quite clean and well maintained and it's MOT history is almost perfect. I am quite excited to take a look on the 26th (if it is still available).

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I owned a 2007 FJR; the '08s as I recall didn't get any changes other than paint color. It was a great bike. You may want a different seat for long rides, and a larger windshield will help keep rain off of you when you ride in the wet. The only other thing I could've whinged about was that changing the headlight bulbs was a chore. Regular maintenance was dead simple, and with it being a shaft drive there's no chain maintenance to speak of.

The transmission in that model of FJR is "only" a 5 speed. If you're used to 6 you may catch yourself trying to upshift again on the motorway out of habit, but it's not like the motor is screaming for another gear.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I generally like keeping the Harley in 5th, even on the Motorway, and only change to 6th if I am feeling particularly frugal. I'll be fine with 5 gears!

Windshields can be replaced easily, so I am not too bothered about that.

Seat wise, if I replace it, I'd be interested if there was an aftermarket heated seat available...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Goldwing is geared like a drat car, so 5 gears really doesn’t matter there, I’d imagine a similar big cruiser like the FJ falls in the same boat

The Goldwing doesn’t seem like it’s really revving in top gear till over 90mph, you’ll be ok with 5 speeds

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Steakandchips posted:

Seat wise, if I replace it, I'd be interested if there was an aftermarket heated seat available...

There are, by several manufacturers. The FJR has been largely unchanged for a long time. It gets some updates every few years, but a lot of parts carry forward from one generation to the next. The aftermarket for it is huge.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Steakandchips posted:

I generally like keeping the Harley in 5th, even on the Motorway, and only change to 6th if I am feeling particularly frugal. I'll be fine with 5 gears!

Windshields can be replaced easily, so I am not too bothered about that.

Corbin and Sargent are the two big players in the seat business. Plenty of local shops can also mod a stock seat.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Steakandchips posted:

Yes. I am only allowed to travel within my local council area (Stirling Council). The bike is in Clackmannanshire council.

Stirling Council is in level 4 lockdown (the highest).

Details here if you are interested, particularly related to travelling in, into and out of L4 areas: https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-travel-and-transport/

It's a really good looking bike and looks quite clean and well maintained and it's MOT history is almost perfect. I am quite excited to take a look on the 26th (if it is still available).

Not to be dense here, but why don't you just message the person on FB and be like "hey, I like the bike a lot. I'm in lockdown and can't come look at it until the 26th." and see what happens?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jazzzzz posted:

There are, by several manufacturers. The FJR has been largely unchanged for a long time. It gets some updates every few years, but a lot of parts carry forward from one generation to the next. The aftermarket for it is huge.

Excellent.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

builds character posted:

Not to be dense here, but why don't you just message the person on FB and be like "hey, I like the bike a lot. I'm in lockdown and can't come look at it until the 26th." and see what happens?

I already did. He says the "stay local" thing means that the "5 miles" to him is totally fine. It's not. He's agreed that I'll come see it on the 26th or after.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The Goldwing is geared like a drat car, so 5 gears really doesn’t matter there, I’d imagine a similar big cruiser like the FJ falls in the same boat

The Goldwing doesn’t seem like it’s really revving in top gear till over 90mph, you’ll be ok with 5 speeds

Yeah nobody ever rode a giant i4 and thought 'this needs more gears', I often find myself wishing they were closer together cause I don't need to do 300kmh at 2000rpm.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

If it's as good as it looks in the pics and appears to have been taken care of, jump on that. It's good for another 100-200Kmi as long as the maint stays on schedule. They got a 6th gear in about 2016, but I don't think you'll miss it on the 08, it's a 1300. My friends 2014 is at least as quick as my Strom 1K.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I really do need to go see and hopefully test ride it. I'll offer to let him ride Bob and I'll ride his FJR to like, I dunno, Doune and back.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Steakandchips posted:

I already did. He says the "stay local" thing means that the "5 miles" to him is totally fine. It's not. He's agreed that I'll come see it on the 26th or after.

Gawd, I remember what that wait was like here in Melbourne, Australia.

Our similarly restrictive lockdown kept getting extended over and over - in the last couple of months I kept prepping my Tuono for a proper hoon in anticipation of going more than 5km from my house. Fluids, various 15 year old wear items, tyres, blah blah blah. Each time it was good to go and the release date rolled around, we'd be told, nup, stay in your homes for another month, plebs.

The first proper spin after that was magic, though. My brain had totally forgotten what the acceleration on even a relatively tame literbike feels feel. Hope it's the same for you (the feeling of absurd speed that only a used FJR can offer, not the ever changing goalposts).

prukinski fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 9, 2021

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

... aaaaand it's gone.

gently caress.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

prukinski posted:

Gawd, I remember what that wait was like here in Melbourne, Australia.

Our similarly restrictive lockdown kept getting extended over and over - in the last couple of months I kept prepping my Tuono for a proper hoon in anticipation of going more than 5km from my house. Fluids, various 15 year old wear items, tyres, blah blah blah. Each time it was good to go and the release date rolled around, we'd be told, nup, stay in your homes for another month, plebs.

The first proper spin after that was magic, though. My brain had totally forgotten what the acceleration on even a relatively tame literbike feels feel. Hope it's the same for you (the feeling of absurd speed that only a used FJR can offer, not the ever changing goalposts).

I've been allowed to ride in my local council area for essential reasons (shopping for food, doctor's appointments) for 99% of the lockdown. We are now allowed in our local council area for non-essential reasons too.

I've not really stopped riding much.

It did feel good going for a longer ride though last week.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Why you all torturing yourself with these idiotic arbitrary travel ranges? Who gives a gently caress about how far you go? You riding your bike by yourself, not shaking hands with strangers on every corner. How's this even enforced?

Steakandchips posted:

... aaaaand it's gone.

gently caress.
insert "you played yourself" gif here

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Regardless of whether the rules are a good idea or not, I am not going to be breaking them.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nitrox posted:

Why you all torturing yourself with these idiotic arbitrary travel ranges? Who gives a gently caress about how far you go? You riding your bike by yourself, not shaking hands with strangers on every corner. How's this even enforced?

insert "you played yourself" gif here

lol, no.

Steakandchips posted:

I've been allowed to ride in my local council area for essential reasons (shopping for food, doctor's appointments) for 99% of the lockdown. We are now allowed in our local council area for non-essential reasons too.

I've not really stopped riding much.

It did feel good going for a longer ride though last week.

The really nice thing about bikes is there’s always another.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm not an expert on British lockdown rules, but I understand how infectious diseases work. Riding your motorcycle 5 km or 8 km is not going to make a lick of difference to anyone.

If the seller is willing to disregard those rules, I'm not ask him to bring the bike to you? If they're not willing, no loss to you. Or meet at a halfway point so your arbitrary distance rules are still in effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Moot point, the bike is gone.

As BC points out, there’ll be another.