Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Lost more runs as the lost against mother. Im losing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

flatluigi posted:

i haven't checked yet, but do you get planetariums in challenges since they don't have treasure rooms to enter? if so it'd be a good reason to beeline unlocking it before working on more challenges

also, what's a good shortlist of challenges to make sure to get done to unlock stuff? i'm still working on a file that feels like it's barely unlocked everything (it doesn't even have the 100 deaths unlock yet)

quoting b/c it was the last post on the last page

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I'm ignoring all the rune challenges except for jera, because none of the other runes are that great. Otherwise just check the rewards on the wiki and do the ones that look the best.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So Spin to Win on Bethany is actually kind of amazing. Yeah the wisps die when you stop holding the use item button, but they shoot so much faster till then and you generate a ton of them. I'm sad the weird ghost thing guarding the second knife piece killed me, felt like that would have been great for blocking bullets.

Also cheesed scatman by getting maw of the void, that was cool.

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 9, 2021

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I'm ignoring all the rune challenges except for jera, because none of the other runes are that great. Otherwise just check the rewards on the wiki and do the ones that look the best.

You’ll want Algiz for the Lost vs. Delirium/Hush/Greedier fights too

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

thank god Curse of Darkness isn't a complete fuckin' blinding anymore, stressed eyes and bad visuals doesn't make for a fun game Edmund

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

flatluigi posted:

i haven't checked yet, but do you get planetariums in challenges since they don't have treasure rooms to enter? if so it'd be a good reason to beeline unlocking it before working on more challenges

also, what's a good shortlist of challenges to make sure to get done to unlock stuff? i'm still working on a file that feels like it's barely unlocked everything (it doesn't even have the 100 deaths unlock yet)

For you, and for the people in the last few posts talking about selectively unlocking runes by only doing certain challenges, Repentance has nerfed that a little bit. If you have only some of the runes unlocked, they have a pretty good chance of being replaced with a "rune shard" when they spawn which performs an unpredictable random half-assed rune effect. It clogs up anything that normally spawns runes and makes it much harder to take advantage of them since you don't know what they'll do. There may still be some super-optimal way to just unlock certain ones and work around rune shards, but for the most part they kind of suck and IMO it's worth just pushing through and unlocking all of them so they don't appear anymore. Also I'm not sure whether you need to unlock the more secret ones like Black Rune and Blank Rune because they're not part of the rune shard effect pool

edit: And this is one of those things that sucks for veterans coming back to the game but is honestly fair in a game design sense. This game has a lot of unlockables and there are bound to be some stinkers but in general it feels like lovely design to just encourage you to not unlock certain items

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

pretty sure bethany is the strongest char now

mini bending spoon applies to her wisps. it also applies to sprinkler

catch me dropping 30 soul hearts worth of sprinklers with homing shots in the boss room and slowing my computer to a crawl

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

pretty sure bethany is the strongest char now

mini bending spoon applies to her wisps. it also applies to sprinkler

catch me dropping 30 soul hearts worth of sprinklers with homing shots in the boss room and slowing my computer to a crawl

Lol I had a greed run with mini spoon and sprinkler off the bat. Bethany is so loving cool (and so is the other Bethany in her own way)

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sprinkler is my go-to for greed, well it and the d100, but bethany really makes so many active items that are mediocre for standard play very viable imo

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

goferchan posted:

For you, and for the people in the last few posts talking about selectively unlocking runes by only doing certain challenges, Repentance has nerfed that a little bit. If you have only some of the runes unlocked, they have a pretty good chance of being replaced with a "rune shard" when they spawn which performs an unpredictable random half-assed rune effect. It clogs up anything that normally spawns runes and makes it much harder to take advantage of them since you don't know what they'll do. There may still be some super-optimal way to just unlock certain ones and work around rune shards, but for the most part they kind of suck and IMO it's worth just pushing through and unlocking all of them so they don't appear anymore. Also I'm not sure whether you need to unlock the more secret ones like Black Rune and Blank Rune because they're not part of the rune shard effect pool

edit: And this is one of those things that sucks for veterans coming back to the game but is honestly fair in a game design sense. This game has a lot of unlockables and there are bound to be some stinkers but in general it feels like lovely design to just encourage you to not unlock certain items

oh my question was less 'i want to minmax my unlocking' and more 'i have a loving LOT of stuff to unlock and have trouble prioritizing things to go after that make later stuff more reasonable'

i think i pinned down what exactly my problem was, as well - i played a lot back when I last played, but it was mostly daily challenges (which don't unlock things) and greed mode to get to 999 coins there (which also doesn't unlock much)

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

How are you supposed to get to any kind of time gated content as Cain? I spend like 30 minutes getting to the caves, because I'm trying to craft anything usable. Even with the list of easy early game recipes, I still fumble around for 10 minutes trying to get scorpio or jacobs ladder.
Speaking of annoying character gimmicks, I thought I had Jacob figured out, but when you kill Esau he explodes in a roomwiping blast that turns you in to the Lost anyways. How the gently caress are you supposed to do anything as this guy

At least the new item unlocks are keeping my spirits up, they've been very good so far. Worm Friend is a Daddy Longlegs that can stun enemies and Hungry Soul is making me want to go for devil deals again.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Kawalimus posted:

Um, what the gently caress sort of thing am I looking for from the Hot Potato challenge?
Probably bomb upgrades, they affect the skeleton's explosions.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Not sure about Repentance, but of the first 35, these are the ones I’d consider worth doing from a min-max perspective:

High Brow unlocks the Jera rune, which doubles every pickup in the room and can break a run.
Darkness Falls unlocks the Dagaz rune, which removes curses from a floor and gives you a soul heart - both are very useful.
Solar System unlocks the Perthro rune, which is a free d6 use.
Cat Got Your Tongue unlocks the Algiz rune, which is a free Book of Shadows use.
Demo Man unlocks the chaos card, which instakills a single boss.
Cursed! unlocks the credit card, which makes every item in a shop or devil deal free.
Beans! unlocks the burnt penny trinket, which gives you an absurd number of bombs over the course of a run.
It’s In The Cards unlocks SMB Super Fan, which is a beefy all stats up item.
Slow Roll unlocks the swallowed penny trinket, saviour of Keeper runs, which spawns a coin whenever you get hit.
Waka Waka unlocks Death’s Touch, which is a massive damage increase with piercing tears.
The Family Man unlocks Epic Fetus, which is a win button.
XXXXXXXXL unlocks gold hearts, which will occasionally give you a few coins over the course of a run.
Blue Bomber unlocks gold bombs, which are a bomb version of skeleton keys,
PAY TO PLAY unlocks a bad pill and Percs!, which gives you the effect of Wafer for a room and will let you faceroll a boss of your choice.
Onan’s Streak unlocks Kidney Stone, which got buffed and is now an absurd damage upgrade when it procs.
Backasswards makes Lazarus start with Anemic, fixing his abysmal range.
April’s Fool makes Magdalene start with a Full Health pill.
Pokey Mans unlocks charged keys, which are a key combined with a battery.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

dolphinbomb posted:

How do people have trouble with this challenge? If you run into a monster and turn it to poop, you can use your iframes from getting damaged to turn everything else into poop without losing more health and then heal up whatever life you lost. Let your poop minions blow the bosses up.

I dunno, I wasn't having issues beyond the minions not actually doing anything to get near the boss, and then I got Lil Brimstone and that was that. Easy first run of the challenge.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Just had a golden bomb with glitter bombs and a restock in black market. Also satanic Bible. Easy break, right? Well, it turns out bombs stopped paying out after a while (or maybe chance to pay out decreases now?) :argh: Still got a few items out of that but it really seems they went hard with nerfing breaks.

Also I had base damage with Cain just before the above, which was just before the final final new boss. It's weird because I had 8 luck and some nice tears so the dps was actually good. Most of my runs are that way now: damage on paper is really bad, but I usually have some other stuff that somehow makes the run decent or even good. Not sure how I feel about that yet.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

The Sword in Isaac's Awakening turns into a lightsaber if you pick up Technology

A+

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Carpator Diei posted:

Probably bomb upgrades, they affect the skeleton's explosions.

Too bad no way to get those! But maybe the brimstone bombs from the devil deal could work. Or maybe Dark Judas is hiding in there again......

Beat Greedier mode as Bethany this morning during coffee! :D Had totally forgotten how to fight Ultra Greedier but then remembered when he came in you just dodge around the corners and eventually he succumbs. Only made it with half a heart though!! But whew glad he isn't that hard. Star of Bethlehem carried me through the main floors that's a great item for Greedier!

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 9, 2021

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
flatluigi i haven't seen any planetariums in my challenge runs. i think there has to be an item room for you to not go in to increase the chances. Good luck !

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

from what i know there’s a flat 1% chance per floor that increases by 20 percentage points for every item room you skip

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Planetarium items can also spawn in Error rooms. Had a run yesterday where I managed to snag Venus for 15 coins. That item is insane.

Health up, and you passively charm any nearby enemies. They remain charmed for as long as they're nearby. Bosses included. It's as broken as it sounds.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm impressed all of you already have that poo poo unlocked, I've been mainlining greed runs trying to get it and no luck. I can make it to two items fairly often but then it's like the game conspires to not give me the last one.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm impressed all of you already have that poo poo unlocked, I've been mainlining greed runs trying to get it and no luck. I can make it to two items fairly often but then it's like the game conspires to not give me the last one.

I just resat normal runs until I got a zodiac item in the first item room. Then I went for the other items that also counts towards unlocking planetariums:
Magic 8 ball is pretty common from gold chests and there's so many fortune machines in the game, that getting a crystal ball is only limited by money.

I think tiny planet also counts towards this, but lol tiny planet

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Just first-tried Scat Man thanks to a Lil' Brimstone in a crawlspace on the first floor. Pure skill. :smug:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

pumpinglemma posted:

Not sure about Repentance, but of the first 35, these are the ones I’d consider worth doing from a min-max perspective:

High Brow unlocks the Jera rune, which doubles every pickup in the room and can break a run.
Darkness Falls unlocks the Dagaz rune, which removes curses from a floor and gives you a soul heart - both are very useful.
Solar System unlocks the Perthro rune, which is a free d6 use.
Cat Got Your Tongue unlocks the Algiz rune, which is a free Book of Shadows use.
Demo Man unlocks the chaos card, which instakills a single boss.
Cursed! unlocks the credit card, which makes every item in a shop or devil deal free.
Beans! unlocks the burnt penny trinket, which gives you an absurd number of bombs over the course of a run.
It’s In The Cards unlocks SMB Super Fan, which is a beefy all stats up item.
Slow Roll unlocks the swallowed penny trinket, saviour of Keeper runs, which spawns a coin whenever you get hit.
Waka Waka unlocks Death’s Touch, which is a massive damage increase with piercing tears.
The Family Man unlocks Epic Fetus, which is a win button.
XXXXXXXXL unlocks gold hearts, which will occasionally give you a few coins over the course of a run.
Blue Bomber unlocks gold bombs, which are a bomb version of skeleton keys,
PAY TO PLAY unlocks a bad pill and Percs!, which gives you the effect of Wafer for a room and will let you faceroll a boss of your choice.
Onan’s Streak unlocks Kidney Stone, which got buffed and is now an absurd damage upgrade when it procs.
Backasswards makes Lazarus start with Anemic, fixing his abysmal range.
April’s Fool makes Magdalene start with a Full Health pill.
Pokey Mans unlocks charged keys, which are a key combined with a battery.

This seems fair, only thing I'd mention is that its worth doing SPEED! before trying to get mega-satan marks, because the Get out of Jail Free card is a Dads Key effect that gives you another method of opening the mega satan door. But if someone is starting frm scratch it'll be a while before mega satan is something they are thinking about anyway.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

This seems fair, only thing I'd mention is that its worth doing SPEED! before trying to get mega-satan marks, because the Get out of Jail Free card is a Dads Key effect that gives you another method of opening the mega satan door. But if someone is starting frm scratch it'll be a while before mega satan is something they are thinking about anyway.

Yeah, seconding that. Without it, you've only got active items (or the angel path) to open that door, which means you have to hold dad's key or Mr. Me for a whole run instead of something more useful.

I can never get Mr. Me to work. I don't know if they fixed him in Repentance, but like 75% of the time when I point him at something, he just hits it and disappears. Won't steal from the shop or the devil deals for me, won't open the Mega Satan door.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The new Sharp Key active probably opens it too, right? Opens everything else

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i miss on store items with mr. me about 20% of the time. but mr. me has been nerfed by the store nerf for sure

there's a trinket that must increase planetarium odds too i got one yesterday

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
i just learned something really cool as the lost!
When Mother does her inhaling shots attack on her second phase some can spawn directly on top of you!!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

lol there's no fukken way I'm going to go for the new unlocks as half the characters

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Man, King Baby kicks rear end now. Pair him up with something like Lil' Brimstone and the game basically plays itself

Why isn't this a challenge

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Is there any way to resync J&E if your controller disconnects and they start getting controlled separately? Cool to lose a very good run to this horseshit.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Is there any way to resync J&E if your controller disconnects and they start getting controlled separately? Cool to lose a very good run to this horseshit.

Related: Is there a way to desync them without a controller so I can just plant Esau in the corner of a room and protect him like he's Isaac's Heart? Because an Isaac's Heart run is easier to deal with than a J&E run.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bethany + Shoop Da Whoop =

This character has so many neat interactions with all the different space bar items in the game.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I just beat the final final boss on my first ever run with J&E :stare:

Gotta say, if you get decent damage on both and goodish heath, you can really play aggressive and just tank stuff. No crazy combo or any special tears, just some solid dps stats and the final form went down after 1 cycle.

That, or when I rerolled E with the d100 he got some crazy item that did a lot of the work. Is there any way to see what items he has?

Also: Despite that great first run, character still isn't fun to play

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
i did it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWY3n4j_oLo

didnt even need to Nohit it cause i had an algiz and ridiculous offense and 8 extra lives but whatever. gently caress you, you piece of poo poo boss, cant wait to see you again as tainted lost

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Eclipse12 posted:

I just beat the final final boss on my first ever run with J&E :stare:

Gotta say, if you get decent damage on both and goodish heath, you can really play aggressive and just tank stuff. No crazy combo or any special tears, just some solid dps stats and the final form went down after 1 cycle.

That, or when I rerolled E with the d100 he got some crazy item that did a lot of the work. Is there any way to see what items he has?

Also: Despite that great first run, character still isn't fun to play

If you switch to the Mini HUD in options, I believe you can see their items side by side. Not sure if this breaks down when they have too many items to be displayed.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

My (relatively) fresh file has no completed challenges so I wonder if I should unlock the doubling rune one and see if I can cheese anything with it

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Feels weird to be back on PC after so many years of playing Isaac on Vita and switch. Bombs and pills/cards being backwards compared to on controller is messing me up a bit lol. I could rebind my Q and E keys but I'll get used to it.

Loving Repentance so far.

Amazed by how nice the co-op mechanics are now, was expecting to game over when one if us died but they stuck around as a little invincible ghost and respawned with their heart containers intact after the boss.

Its a bit of a pain how player 2 looks exactly the same as player 1 at the start, we're on a fresh file so we're both stuck as isaac rn. Trying to ease my co-op partner into the game, I though we'd steamroll Mom on our first attempt as I have 1000s of hours played but it proved a lot harder that I though to keep track of everything lol. Does anyone else have an issue where you can play portable games just fine but put the on a tv and sit across the room on a sofa your reaction times turn to poo poo? Maybe I should get my eyes tested.

Back in my solo save file I've worked out how to do the alt path but I've only gotten to the new Mom's heart fight once let alone the new final final boss.

Is Mother the only new final boss path in Repentance or does this go deeper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Mr Phillby posted:

Is Mother the only new final boss path in Repentance or does this go deeper?
There's more.