Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

EbolaIvory posted:

Bots gotten better or are they still just potatos that hone in at you?

I mean, its fine if they are still just bots bein bots, curious if they upped the AI at all. Still fun with buds shooting em.

My experience with the AI is that at the lowest levels they just kinda come for you, but as you step it up they'll camp more. At not even the highest level they'll just snipe you from across the map and you'll never see them.

It could be better, but still fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.
Hardware question: is there a performance penalty in VR linked to AMD cards ? I'm asking this because ideally I'd like a 3080 for a VR build (too little VRAM in a 3070 to drive a G2 imo), but those are impossible to find, whereas an AMD card of similar performance can be bought locally.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I've not seen VR benchmarks between the 2 but a quick search suggests that for the most part both companies do just fine, the 3070 and 6700XT are practically dead even as you'd expect since they're meant to be equivalent cards.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

DLSS would make a difference for games that support it (not many, I think Boneworks does?).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Desdinova posted:

The Youtube VR app? That just displays a small screen in front of me, not the 360 I've read about.

No for 180 or 360 videos...

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Captain Monkey posted:

please let me know if you can, it's entirely possible that I am wrong and that would be pretty cool if it worked.

Wrote this post on my PC while the Quest streamed the menu for Beat Saber using VD / SteamVR, no dropped inputs that I could see and alt-tabbing didn't interrupt the stream. Obviously it would be possible for processing load or network traffic to gently caress things up but as a principle it seems like once you're in SteamVR it doesn't demand exclusive use of the machine, which is nice to know.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

Turin Turambar posted:

No for 180 or 360 videos...

I can drag my mouse to look around in 180 and 360 vids (or the touch controller the same in vr) but not in the sense that I'm actually in the video, turning my head to look around.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Desdinova posted:

I can drag my mouse to look around in 180 and 360 vids (or the touch controller the same in vr) but not in the sense that I'm actually in the video, turning my head to look around.

...what mouse?

I'm talking of the Quest youtube vr app.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

Turin Turambar posted:

...what mouse?

I'm talking of the Quest youtube vr app.

My bad, I was trying the Steam Youtube VR app which doesn't do VR vids, the Quest Oculus browser worked as I was expecting VR videos to look.

Edit:

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Might be different for me because I'm loading the MP4 onto my Quest and playing it directly from internal storage. Didn't actually have time to check to see if the Youtube version is playing smoothly at 4k60fps before I had to leave for work today, I'll check it when I get home and maybe work on uploading a different version if it's too choppy. Some loss in quality is expected from the compression but I don't want it stuttering constantly if it can be avoided.

This was really well made, and ran smooth as silk on the Quest 2 compared to through BigScreen like the noob I was.

Desdinova fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 9, 2021

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Question for index owners: is the contrast on the panels extremely poor? Every time I see the frame on my PC monitor I’m struck by just how grey the Index’s image is. It’s not just the blacks either, all the colours appear muted and a little washed out. Are the LCD panels just poor or do I need to tweak some settings or what?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Brownie posted:

Question for index owners: is the contrast on the panels extremely poor? Every time I see the frame on my PC monitor I’m struck by just how grey the Index’s image is. It’s not just the blacks either, all the colours appear muted and a little washed out. Are the LCD panels just poor or do I need to tweak some settings or what?

I suppose it depends on the game and perhaps settings for each, but I’ve never noticed a difference between what shows on the monitor and in the index. Except for the bright halo’s around white objects, mostly during loading screens :argh:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

From the dev of Stride, this one looks very arcade, but well done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4P5yyZTM9I

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 9, 2021

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Turin Turambar posted:

From the dev of Stride, this one looks very arcade, but well done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4P5yyZTM9

I just get a "this video is unavailable"

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Fixed now

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Ah, you were missing one character in the URL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4P5yyZTM9I

Edit: lol beat me

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I kinda prefer the original prototype:
https://www.reddit.com/r/JoyWay/comments/kfolr9/if_pistol_whip_and_beat_saber_had_a_kid/

It just felt much more lively and interesting overall, with some big cool stuff like the boss fight at the end that's really lacking in the new trailer.

It was probably a good idea to get rid of the parts where it rotates your view though.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
bruh, this one was a bit tough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9XL9qusH_s

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Desdinova posted:

My bad, I was trying the Steam Youtube VR app which doesn't do VR vids, the Quest Oculus browser worked as I was expecting VR videos to look.

Edit:

This was really well made, and ran smooth as silk on the Quest 2 compared to through BigScreen like the noob I was.

For whatever it's worth, an Oculus update recently threw a wrench into a few apps, including Bigscreen:

https://mobile.twitter.com/beatlejuiceMG/status/1380302341245562880

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

when i turned on my quest 2 recently it would constantly say it couldnt do room tracking so i had no passthrough but still saw my hands and pointers and i could use them in the menu. another time recently it refused to see any wifi networks after i turned it on, i had to reboot it to fix this. the quest 1 i have is definitely slower but it didnt do stuff like that randomly, maybe because it has stayed on firmware v25 for whatever reason... i hope these issues are all patchable

also i installed the older beat saber apk to use bmbf, working well now and i hope for no trouble from fb police

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Finished my second VR animation after working on it for about 10 months and uploaded it to Youtube last night, processing is done so you should be able to watch it in 4K60fps now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnnvVdr08C0

First time using DAINAPP for AI frame interpolation to boost it from 30 FPS to 60, it worked well enough that I generally can't tell the difference between a real frame and a fake one. Last animation was in 30 FPS and I don't think it really works for VR, you get a severe jittering effect if anything gets too close to you whereas it's generally not noticeable at 60. Only problem came at the very end when the app got confused and started outputting nonsense frames so I had to render the last 30 seconds or so in proper 60 FPS.

I just tried this out and it was pretty neat. Have you thought about doing one as a 3d 180 video? I'd love to see it with depth and I don't really care that much about turning around and looking behind me.

This actually reminds me of a game project I've wanted to do for a long time, a 6DOF flying game like Descent that's built as a roguelike where you're flying through massive 3d fractals.

And not just using fractally-generated geometry, but capturing that fractal feeling of getting smaller as you approach things and never being able to reach a surface without it breaking up into details that you slip between.

Obviously most 3d fractal stuff is much too heavy to pull it off, but I think it could be done with either a heavily simplified fractal system or something precomputed that has an upper and lower bound to the scale.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

So I bought a Quest 2 with my Joe bux and I’m struggling with it a little bit. I’m finding it’s not all that sharp / is blurry and no amount of fussing has helped. Videos and such also seem a little compressed looking but maybe I’m not used to the quality yet.

The other thing is when I’m on the app store everything on the right (mainly the reviews) are cut off. Is there a way to pan over or is this some kind of bug?

Also really wish this thing was more comfortable to wear without glasses.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Remember that if you need glasses outside of VR, you'll need glasses in VR too.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

mutata posted:

Sorry I meant to say it’s uncomfortable with glasses, I’ve tried it both ways though. Also with and without the spacer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yep, even though the screens are close to your face, the lenses make your eyes focus like they’re looking farther away

E: oh, in my experience blurriness is usually solved by moving the hmd up and down on your face or sometimes rotating it a bit forward and backward.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

mutata posted:

Not true! Unlike reality VR headsets have a fixed focal plane, so you only need to be able to focus at that specific distance to have perfect vision in VR.

I believe the focal distance of the Quest 2 is 2 meters, so if you see things well at that distance you're golden.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

E: oh, in my experience blurriness is usually solved by moving the hmd up and down on your face or sometimes rotating it a bit forward and backward.

Right on. The first few days I was worried I made a mistake because my face was hurting and it didn’t seems very clear. Over time I learned not to try and clamp it to my face, but rather let it almost float in front of my face. A bit more pressure on the top of the mask then the bottom. The strategy I do now involves holding it lightly against my face where it’s pretty clear and then tightening the back - not too much! Then a small final shift, lowering the back slightly while the front slightly lifts, until it’s almost floating above my cheekbones with light pressure around the mask, the visor tilted just a bit more towards my forehead and away from my cheek.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GoodApollo posted:

So I bought a Quest 2 with my Joe bux and I’m struggling with it a little bit. I’m finding it’s not all that sharp / is blurry and no amount of fussing has helped. Videos and such also seem a little compressed looking but maybe I’m not used to the quality yet.

What's your interpupilary distance?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Having to deal with contacts you aren't used to, glasses, in the headset, or blurry vision makes VR have enough friction or discomfort that I used it far less. If you wear glasses and want VR fairly often, lens inserts from VROptician or WidmoVR are non-optional, IMO. I've used both, and they're pretty much equivalent.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Tip posted:

Not true! Unlike reality VR headsets have a fixed focal plane, so you only need to be able to focus at that specific distance to have perfect vision in VR.

I believe the focal distance of the Quest 2 is 2 meters, so if you see things well at that distance you're golden.

Fair enough. I'm near sighted but I still need the glasses to see far things correctly. I must be inside that distance.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you need prescription lenses, just buy the zenni 550021 glasses in your prescription and use them.

They fit inside the quest 2 with the glasses spacer perfectly. You’d have to buy them anyway to harvest the lenses for for the 3D printed inserts so
You can skip the middle man and just wear them in the quest 2

$9.99 and your VR glasses problems are solved.

https://www.zennioptical.com/p/metal-alloy-full-rim-frame-with-spring-hinges/5500?skuId=550021

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 10, 2021

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you need prescription lenses, just buy the zenni 550021 glasses in your prescription and use them.

They fit inside the quest 2 with the glasses spacer perfectly. You’d have to buy them anyway to harvest the lenses for for the 3D printed inserts so
You can skip the middle man and just wear them in the quest 2

$9.99 and your VR glasses problems are solved.

https://www.zennioptical.com/p/metal-alloy-full-rim-frame-with-spring-hinges/5500?skuId=550021

I have these and I prefer using the lenses with the printed inserts, mostly because you can get them closer to your eyes without the rest of the frames pressing into your skin. Great quality lenses for the price!

e: the inserts I use https://www.etsy.com/listing/924745211/lens-adapter-for-oculus-quest-2-quest

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 10, 2021

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Tip posted:

I just tried this out and it was pretty neat. Have you thought about doing one as a 3d 180 video? I'd love to see it with depth and I don't really care that much about turning around and looking behind me.

Don't think it's possible in the program I use, unfortunately. The camera settings are a simple box check for common, rectilinear, or 360 panorama and a separate setting to do stereoscopic rendering which I don't think would work with the 360 panorama. For a proper 3D animation I think everything would have to be rendered in real time so it could account for head movement and adjust accordingly, everything I do is pre-rendered and takes months so you're kind of stuck with the flat image, rollercoaster ride sort of experience. Even worse, Mandelbulb 3D is completely CPU-bound so even speeding things up by using a graphics card for faster rendering is out of the question. The choice of fractal rendering programs is effectively limited to whatever various internet hobbyists feel like programming themselves and development on M3D has been halted for years now, I would say the other two "main" programs besides M3D are Mandelbulber and Fragmentarium. The developer for Mandelbulber was working on implementation of GPU-based rendering a while ago but I always found the program interface to be kind of unintuitive, not sure if Fragmentarium has GPU rendering but it's similarly unintuitive at least to me.

Only other VR fractal animations I've seen are from a guy named Julius Horsthuis who also uses M3D. Worth a look if you want more examples of what the program can do, this is probably my favorite out of the handful of VR animations he's done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AvUv0sk4uY

quote:

This actually reminds me of a game project I've wanted to do for a long time, a 6DOF flying game like Descent that's built as a roguelike where you're flying through massive 3d fractals.

And not just using fractally-generated geometry, but capturing that fractal feeling of getting smaller as you approach things and never being able to reach a surface without it breaking up into details that you slip between.

There's a game called SpaceFlux which someone has been working on for a while, probably worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_XlD2oxBK4

Certainly an interesting proof of concept even if it's not necessarily the sort of thing I would see myself playing for any meaningful amount of time.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 10, 2021

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Marble Marcher does animated 3D fractals in realtime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U0XVdvQwAI

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

"neitey Mar 26 2021
Hey there, this work of yours is most astonishing. Team Beef would very much like to bring Phobos into Virtual Reality via Doom3Quest for the Oculus Quest.

I know we are not the first to ask ;) ... But with the source code we could bring this hell of yours to VR. No pressure. Love what you are doing, can't wait to play Episode 3!

ReplyGood karmaBad karmaOnly members can issue karma. Sign uptoday.
geX
Creator
geX Mar 31 2021
Thank you! :)

We will share the source code when we're ready to do so. We're still making changes to it for the next episode."

singleplayer campaign mod using doom3 engine/assets expressing interest in working with drbeef :)
https://www.moddb.com/mods/phobos

also wrt glasses/lenses: i definitely think custom-made lenses are better. no chance of rubbing damage and also your prescription lenses protect your headset's lenses

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Don't think it's possible in the program I use, unfortunately. The camera settings are a simple box check for common, rectilinear, or 360 panorama and a separate setting to do stereoscopic rendering which I don't think would work with the 360 panorama. For a proper 3D animation I think everything would have to be rendered in real time so it could account for head movement and adjust accordingly, everything I do is pre-rendered and takes months so you're kind of stuck with the flat image, rollercoaster ride sort of experience.

If you can render the 360 a second time from a position offset to the side you could then convert each of the 360 videos to 180 and combine the two into a stereoscopic 180. :v:

Probably a lot of effort and tweaking to get it just right, and it already sounds like a lot of work! I do think 180 stereoscopic is currently the best compromise for immersive video. You get good stereoscopy looking forward and up and down and a bit to each side and you can completely fill your view. It's also twice as sharp as a 360 video would be at the same resolution.

I think the stereoscopic switch does work in 360, because there are a few stereo 360 videos on youtube that are labeled as being made with Mandelbulb, however it's probably not worth it. Even the 4k ones were very fuzzy.

Honestly, just normal stereoscopic videos look great in VR too and there aren't many high resolution 3d fractals in a VR compatible 3d format. I say that as someone who just spent half an hour searching for a single decent one on youtube.

So if you ever rendered one as a non 360 stereoscopic video I would definitely be interested in checking it out.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

There's a game called SpaceFlux which someone has been working on for a while, probably worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_XlD2oxBK4

Certainly an interesting proof of concept even if it's not necessarily the sort of thing I would see myself playing for any meaningful amount of time.

Yeah, that looks really cool, although it does seem to be a bit more of a tech demo than a game. Would love to try something like that in VR, it definitely makes me feel more confident that a fractal 6DOF roguelike could work and be cool.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What's your interpupilary distance?

I don't remember what they measured it as at the optician, but my partner and I both attempted home measurement and I'm around 60, she says it might be a bit less. I generally find the 2 setting to be the most comfortable but by our measurement I guess it should be 1?

re: glasses fit, my frames actually fit well into the set but by the time I tighten things up and get as close as I can to a sweet spot, they're smooshed against my face. Someone mentioned angling the headset so it sits more against the forehead with less tension on the cheekbone; I have tried this and although it is way, way more comfortable, it doesn't stop the blurriness.

It's been a while since I've had an exam (getting one in a few weeks) and I'm concerned my prescription might not be strong enough- is there any chance this can account for the blurry/glowing?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

SCheeseman posted:

Marble Marcher does animated 3D fractals in realtime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U0XVdvQwAI

Wow, that's pretty awesome, especially the bit about fractal collision detection. Being able to do that kind of high quality high performance collision detection on the surfaces really opens the possibilities of what you could do gameplay wise.

And it's open source too! Might have to peak at that code at some point.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

GoodApollo posted:

I don't remember what they measured it as at the optician, but my partner and I both attempted home measurement and I'm around 60, she says it might be a bit less. I generally find the 2 setting to be the most comfortable but by our measurement I guess it should be 1?

re: glasses fit, my frames actually fit well into the set but by the time I tighten things up and get as close as I can to a sweet spot, they're smooshed against my face. Someone mentioned angling the headset so it sits more against the forehead with less tension on the cheekbone; I have tried this and although it is way, way more comfortable, it doesn't stop the blurriness.

It's been a while since I've had an exam (getting one in a few weeks) and I'm concerned my prescription might not be strong enough- is there any chance this can account for the blurry/glowing?

Unfortunately I don’t wear glasses so I can say if that’s the decisive factor here, but it seems like it may be.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GoodApollo posted:

Try changing it to 1 and readjusting from there. You might well be cludging to close-enough from the other direction on the 2 setting, if that makes sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

GoodApollo posted:

you can force it between 1 & 2 and it will stay and the software seems to handle it correctly

I think there's even some little 3d printed doodad you can get to hold it into an in between position better