Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Congrats you two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
One of the best feelings you’ll have early in your career, enjoy it!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

One of the best feelings you’ll have early in your career, enjoy it!

Especially when you walked out sure you failed.

I'll drink an extra one for you tonight black.lion

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Thanks y'all :glomp: Your posts helped keep me going, really appreciate the goon love

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Other people working in tax: Has this been just the worst loving season? Every year seems worse than the last since say, 2017.

I mean in terms of tax. In terms of just like regular life things have been getting worse each year since 2009.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Hellblazer187 posted:

Other people working in tax: Has this been just the worst loving season? Every year seems worse than the last since say, 2017.

I mean in terms of tax. In terms of just like regular life things have been getting worse each year since 2009.

Last year was waaaay worse.

We also told our clients that we were still operating as if 4/15 is the deadline so we wouldn't just end up extending busy season for a full year.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Ungratek posted:

Last year was waaaay worse.

We also told our clients that we were still operating as if 4/15 is the deadline so we wouldn't just end up extending busy season for a full year.

I suppose some of the things that made this season bad are unique to me.

For last season I was promoted to "reviewer" or "manager," I'm not sure which. And they were like "you shouldn't actually do any tax returns anymore. You assign them out to staff. Here are the four staff members who work under you." and it took some getting used to, but OK.

For this season from January through the end of March, they were like "hey you're still manager and you're not supposed to do any tax returns. By the way we're taking away three of your staff, they're reassigned. You have the same client load, and you are not allowed to do any of the following: 1) do the returns yourself, 2) assign work to your former staff, or 3) overload your remaining staff. Good luck!"

Brought on two new people at the beginning of the month, and got one of the former staff reassigned back to me. But the workload overhang from three months of literally impossible directives from above has me pretty loving destroyed. The rule I chose to break was 1, but it was too much, I couldn't keep up. I'm getting like, 150-250 emails every day. I'm honestly nearing a complete and total breakdown.

Also not leaving the house for like 14 months is starting to wear on me. I just want to stop working and play MTG Arena all day instead.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

I suppose some of the things that made this season bad are unique to me.

For last season I was promoted to "reviewer" or "manager," I'm not sure which. And they were like "you shouldn't actually do any tax returns anymore. You assign them out to staff. Here are the four staff members who work under you." and it took some getting used to, but OK.

For this season from January through the end of March, they were like "hey you're still manager and you're not supposed to do any tax returns. By the way we're taking away three of your staff, they're reassigned. You have the same client load, and you are not allowed to do any of the following: 1) do the returns yourself, 2) assign work to your former staff, or 3) overload your remaining staff. Good luck!"

Brought on two new people at the beginning of the month, and got one of the former staff reassigned back to me. But the workload overhang from three months of literally impossible directives from above has me pretty loving destroyed. The rule I chose to break was 1, but it was too much, I couldn't keep up. I'm getting like, 150-250 emails every day. I'm honestly nearing a complete and total breakdown.

Also not leaving the house for like 14 months is starting to wear on me. I just want to stop working and play MTG Arena all day instead.

This sounds worse than anything I ever had to go through at a Big 4. Survive and get the hell out of there IMO.

Which reminds me: IRS is hiring large business & international agents from the general public again. usajobs.gov, search Internal Revenue Service, then filter by open to public, GS13, and job series 0512. Postings are organized by region. Head over to the federal jobs thread before applying. If you have your CPA and some experience you qualify.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I think my firm just grew too big, too fast and they weren't able to cope with the growth or manage it properly.

OH AND ALSO we got a new CRM that has many broken features and we implemented it in February.

I've already applied to the IRS and today I spoke to a recruiter at another remote tax prep company.

Funny thing is someone tried to poach me in January and I was like "Thank you, but I'm happy where I am now :)"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
always be listening

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

always be listening

Learned my lesson!

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

I think my firm just grew too big, too fast and they weren't able to cope with the growth or manage it properly.

OH AND ALSO we got a new CRM that has many broken features and we implemented it in February.

I've already applied to the IRS and today I spoke to a recruiter at another remote tax prep company.

Funny thing is someone tried to poach me in January and I was like "Thank you, but I'm happy where I am now :)"

Unless you applied literally earlier today these postings are all new, and whatever happened with any other applications doesn’t matter because the federal hiring process is really dumb. Every application could be the one that works out.

One of the benefits of working at an accounting firm should be...like...it’s not also a startup. Unless you have equity.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Oh lol. I guess I don't have to take the assessment again then, do I? I'll send in my stuff on USAJobs.gov today

Edit: OK now I did it.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 9, 2021

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
Yeah every application is it’s own little silo and no one in HR involved with your other applications will know about any other applications — just the specific one they are assigned to. LB&I just goes off of the application and resume to select for interviews. SBSE uses the assessment. They won’t even be aware that you took the assessment for the other job. They accidentally hired me three times in the span of like 3 months and I had to keep quitting and re-joining because each subsequent offer was better than the one before lol.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Ah. Well, I got "Based upon your on-line question responses, your application is suitable for further review" so here's hoping.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Hellblazer187 posted:

I would agree with this for sure. So many returns that come in and just could not be completed because of the bullshit rollout of various forms this year. I'm buried in folders, I can't address all the emails I've gotten, I'm trying to work partially at home and partially in the office and I'm just burned out.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Oh yeah, lol, forms roll out. I still can't efile returns with 5471? Is that an IRS issue or an issue with my tax software? Oh well, either way I can't do it.

Oh and if someone was sent the stimulus but they didn't receive it, you're not supposed to claim the RRC. You're supposed to have them do a refund trace. Which loving sucks cause like half my clients qualified last year but never received anything. And now you gotta create an account on the IRS website to find out if they even tried to send you the stimmies. lmao.

If you take 500 clients and say each one took an extra 15 minutes this year because of some bullshit that's 125 extra hours. lmao. And I think both of those input numbers are conservative. Smoa Joe that spells disaster for you at Sacrifice.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Oh yeah, lol, forms roll out. I still can't efile returns with 5471? Is that an IRS issue or an issue with my tax software? Oh well, either way I can't do it.

It’s gotta be just not available yet, because you can definitely efile 5471 (I have a lot of experience doing so, even editing the .xml we get from other providers).

This tax season has definitely been particularly bad. Last year we were able to get the new hires up to speed before we had to go work from home. This year they’re either great or absolutely worthless. Probably also doesn’t help that we haven’t been really able to take a real vacation for a year.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

It’s gotta be just not available yet, because you can definitely efile 5471 (I have a lot of experience doing so, even editing the .xml we get from other providers).

This tax season has definitely been particularly bad. Last year we were able to get the new hires up to speed before we had to go work from home. This year they’re either great or absolutely worthless. Probably also doesn’t help that we haven’t been really able to take a real vacation for a year.

I’ll agree that training newbies has been disastrous since going full remote. It’s almost completely up to them to figure how to prepare a return

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yeah I just mean this season, I file dozens of 5471s electronically every season. But as of now, my tax software throws up an efile error, we can't efile 5471 yet.

I don't even know what editing the .xml would entail here.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY
Congratulations to the newly certified exam-credentialed accountants! Maybe someday I'll become a real boy too, but not likely since I don't want to go out of pocket for the credit hours & exam fees. I keep negotiating tuition reimbursement as part of my comp but then I'm crunching permanently at work and never have time to take classes.

Mush Mushi posted:

They accidentally hired me three times in the span of like 3 months and I had to keep quitting and re-joining because each subsequent offer was better than the one before lol.

lmfao

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I think I might just go solo after this. If I could get like 200 tax clients and a handful of monthly bookkeeping clients, I could fund a beach bum lifestyle on an average of maybe 10 hours a week? I don't want to build a whole practice with employees and everything. I just don't want to deal with anyone else managing me, or working to provide someone else surplus value. gently caress the grind.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Hellblazer187 posted:

I think I might just go solo after this. If I could get like 200 tax clients and a handful of monthly bookkeeping clients, I could fund a beach bum lifestyle on an average of maybe 10 hours a week? I don't want to build a whole practice with employees and everything. I just don't want to deal with anyone else managing me, or working to provide someone else surplus value. gently caress the grind.

Lowkey my mind has been going the same place lately, i could work not that much solo doing chill bookkeeping 8 months a yr and some tax clients and make my current salary at like 20hrs/week ez

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

black.lion posted:

Lowkey my mind has been going the same place lately, i could work not that much solo doing chill bookkeeping 8 months a yr and some tax clients and make my current salary at like 20hrs/week ez

Honestly it would be better for the clients too. Emails would get answered faster, work would be done with more attention because there's be no burnout. The only people worse off would be our bosses....

For me the only thing stopping me is the fear I wouldn't get clients.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Uh, this is entirely hosed. Remember I said I talked to a recruiter? So... management of the company that was trying to recruit me... warned my current boss? Is that hosed? It seems hosed. So my boss and I had a long talk just now about it. lmao what the hell.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

Uh, this is entirely hosed. Remember I said I talked to a recruiter? So... management of the company that was trying to recruit me... warned my current boss? Is that hosed? It seems hosed. So my boss and I had a long talk just now about it. lmao what the hell.

That’s extremely hosed. When I went through a recruiter they directly asked if it was ok to contact my current employer during our very first call. And when things got far enough along and I had a job secured they had a phone call with me to discuss the best ways to deliver the news (not that I needed that part)

E: oh was it an internal recruiter for the company? Did they ask for references or anything? I had to be very careful with that to pick people I knew wouldn’t say poo poo to my coach/partners

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yeah that’s hosed

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Good Citizen posted:

That’s extremely hosed. When I went through a recruiter they directly asked if it was ok to contact my current employer during our very first call. And when things got far enough along and I had a job secured they had a phone call with me to discuss the best ways to deliver the news (not that I needed that part)

E: oh was it an internal recruiter for the company? Did they ask for references or anything? I had to be very careful with that to pick people I knew wouldn’t say poo poo to my coach/partners

I don't believe it was the recruiter who spilled the beans (although I guess I can't be sure). I feel completely loving set up. I also don't blame my boss at all for acting on the information, you kind of have to in his shoes. But like... man.

At least the call was a "what can we do to keep you?" call and not a "how could you?" kind of call

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Did you give them a reference you couldn’t trust to keep their mouth shut? I would never narc on someone wanting out of firm life but I know some people are stupidly loyal to the firm or way too gossipy

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yeah you got hosed, not sure what the recourse is for that particular kind of hosed. Call up that recruiter and bitch them out, at a minimum. Did you just get unlucky and the guy at your new company is somehow buddies with your boss?

e: was this a corporate recruiter or a third party recruiter?

Hellblazer187 posted:

At least the call was a "what can we do to keep you?" call and not a "how could you?" kind of call

Well that’s good, that can go a lot worse with the wrong kind of boss.

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 13, 2021

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Either way, keep in mind that you’ve already paid the firm back for anything you owed them through your sweat and tears. If you want out then get out but don’t tip any more of your hand than you need to. Don’t let them convince you to stay if you hate it there

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Blotto_Otter posted:

Did you just get unlucky and the guy at your new company is somehow buddies with your boss?

Yes. I've pretty much got confirmation it wasn't the 3rd party recruiter.

Good Citizen posted:

Did you give them a reference you couldn’t trust to keep their mouth shut? I would never narc on someone wanting out of firm life but I know some people are stupidly loyal to the firm or way too gossipy

I didn't give any references, it wasn't that far in the process yet.

You know the hosed up thing is that I was pretty sure I wasn't going to jump to the other firm anyways. Either make this firm work for me, go solo, or change careers. I didn't see much of a point in jumping firm to firm anyways. It was just... another very similar tax firm.

Blotto_Otter posted:

Well that’s good, that can go a lot worse with the wrong kind of boss.

Honestly, my boss is probably the best boss I've ever had. At least on the "as a guy" level. But even on the "as a boss" level, he's in the trenches busting his rear end, so I've got more respect for him than I do for most bosses even if I think some things this season could have been managed better. And as I said, I don't really know what else he could have done after getting the info. I'm pretty peeved at whoever at the other firm spilled the beans, though.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 13, 2021

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Oh ok, yeah, that was almost surely someone at the other firm who’s friends with someone at your current firm ratting you out. It can happen. When I jumped to private I steered well clear of companies that were our clients or where they employed ex-members of my firm in a position high enough to be involved with recruiting.

If you still want to get out then you should still get out. Don’t let this minor setback deter you

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Good Citizen posted:

Oh ok, yeah, that was almost surely someone at the other firm who’s friends with someone at your current firm ratting you out. It can happen. When I jumped to private I steered well clear of companies that were our clients or where they employed ex-members of my firm in a position high enough to be involved with recruiting.

If you still want to get out then you should still get out. Don’t let this minor setback deter you

I want to get out of working full time in public. And I will get out. I don't yet know the path. The firm itself is almost irrelevant. They're all hell.

I think I'm just going to loving move to China and teach English.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hellblazer187 posted:

I want to get out of working full time in public. And I will get out. I don't yet know the path. The firm itself is almost irrelevant. They're all hell.

I think I'm just going to loving move to China and teach English.

Met my wife while she was teaching english in korea. If you can keep anything you wanna keep at home in a holding pattern then you can do it.

The recruiters will be of similar quality.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Whoever decided to roll out a new CRM in February needs to be fired, yesterday.

Hellblazer187 posted:

The hardest part is getting the initial tax clients for the practice. I started my solo practice when I got a job in industry, and then made the side practice the main job when the industry job went to hell. But that was a 5 year ramp up, and I found some per diem work for another firm as well.

You may wish to buy a firm from a 60-90 year old solo practitioner who is sick of it all. The good news is: after this year there will be a lot of people looking to retire.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Missing Donut posted:

Whoever decided to roll out a new CRM in February needs to be fired, yesterday.

The decision was made by both company owners so I doubt it! It was planned to be implemented in November of 2020 but then we kept getting delays from the developer. They were finally ready in Feb and I think not saying "OK cool but we'll use the old one until May" was a huge mistake.

Missing Donut posted:

The hardest part is getting the initial tax clients for the practice. I started my solo practice when I got a job in industry, and then made the side practice the main job when the industry job went to hell. But that was a 5 year ramp up, and I found some per diem work for another firm as well.

You may wish to buy a firm from a 60-90 year old solo practitioner who is sick of it all. The good news is: after this year there will be a lot of people looking to retire.

I don't have near enough cash for that. I honestly think I'll just teach English and start a solo practice as a side hustle, and live off rice and beans until I get enough of a client base to live off of it. Yeah, or the contract work for another firm to get by. Or if someone has a small, 30-50k ish practice they're willing to sell on installments. Also I live outside of the United States and do all my work remotely, so I don't know how many remote practices are available for sale, how many in office of brick and mortar practices would be OK to migrate to remote.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 13, 2021

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Hellblazer187 posted:

The decision was made by both company owners so I doubt it! It was planned to be implemented in November of 2020 but then we kept getting delays from the developer. They were finally ready in Feb and I think not saying "OK cool but we'll use the old one until May" was a huge mistake.

I don't have near enough cash for that. I honestly think I'll just teach English and start a solo practice as a side hustle, and live off rice and beans until I get enough of a client base to live off of it. Yeah, or the contract work for another firm to get by. Or if someone has a small, 30-50k ish practice they're willing to sell on installments.

SBA will finance with 10% cash down and a 5% seller note FYI. Still a chunk for sure but it’s not as unattainable as you might think. Larger seller notes are usually better for buyers anyway since it motivates sellers to help you out more and just gently caress off.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Somehow, that's even worse than I thought.

quote:

I don't have near enough cash for that. I honestly think I'll just teach English and start a solo practice as a side hustle, and live off rice and beans until I get enough of a client base to live off of it. Yeah, or the contract work for another firm to get by. Or if someone has a small, 30-50k ish practice they're willing to sell on installments.

I agree with tumblr hype man. It is not nearly as unattainable as you think, and sellers are likely to be more motivated to sell than normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

tumblr hype man posted:

SBA will finance with 10% cash down and a 5% seller note FYI. Still a chunk for sure but it’s not as unattainable as you might think. Larger seller notes are usually better for buyers anyway since it motivates sellers to help you out more and just gently caress off.

Oh, that's actually kind of, like, possible for a small practice. I don't need or want much.