Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There's probably also a mod that just lets you place structures anywhere if that's something you'd like to be able to do. Less fiddly that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"

Cardiovorax posted:

There's probably also a mod that just lets you place structures anywhere if that's something you'd like to be able to do. Less fiddly that way.

Slopeless was the de facto mod for something like this but it has since stopped being updated by its creator. I thought that one of the big modder packs picked it up but they might have just incorporated a similar style of building construction into their own mod configuring... so I am not sure about that.

And anyway, if loving with and inevitably loving up stuff by forcing janky, game-breaking and physics-defying poo poo to work after painstaking effort isn't Kenshi, then what is?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
The reason why people don't like to base in the holy nation is the holy nation is hostile to everyone that isn't a white male. The holy nation however is great for is STEALING FROM. They have places you can go into, knock out one guy, and just steal everything and more importantly, is an excellent source of food.

Seriously, you can get all your books and food just by stealing from the holy nation. There's a few inns that if your steal skill is high enough you can easily get a couple chests worth of rations and food. You just need to carry the food back and you can supply a town of 30+ people just with food stolen from holy nation.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

SugarAddict posted:

The reason why people don't like to base in the holy nation is the holy nation is hostile to everyone that isn't a white male. The holy nation however is great for is STEALING FROM. They have places you can go into, knock out one guy, and just steal everything and more importantly, is an excellent source of food.

Seriously, you can get all your books and food just by stealing from the holy nation. There's a few inns that if your steal skill is high enough you can easily get a couple chests worth of rations and food. You just need to carry the food back and you can supply a town of 30+ people just with food stolen from holy nation.

This is how I got through most of mid game on my last playthrough, just finding the storehouse building of one of their mining camps and clearing it out completely. Even if you fail, you just get sent to Kenshi Training Camp for as long as you please, which is just an opportunity to steal more stuff. You can't lose!

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

McSlaughter posted:

Protip for if you are building a base and want your guys to be able to ingress over bad or treacherous terrain in and around your base while not having to travel (accidentally due to pathfinding or otherwise) outside your walls where bandit, beast, and carrion bird frequent: you can build a wall up the side of an incline with a little creative pathfinding trickery (read: sometimes painstakingly constructing and deconstructing until you get it right) and then place ramps at the bottom and top of the slope to allow your people to go up and down without worrying about walking out of their base.

Pictured below:

Pretty slick idea, will steal it for the next time I do a base.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I wonder if there are any spots on the map you can only reach by building a wall walkway like that

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Clark Nova posted:

I wonder if there are any spots on the map you can only reach by building a wall walkway like that

Further up the coast by the fishing village, a few minutes northwest where the terrain starts getting steep close to the beach I accidentally trapped a guy on a ledge doing that. I had eventually had to spawn everyone somewhere else because I couldn’t recreate the wall I had made

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The map seems to make a point of not having too many elevated spots that it's impossible for you to get to the normal way, so I don't think there are a lot spots like that.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
If you ever want some crazy gamer insanity look up Holy Nation or Anti-Slaver articles on the game’s wiki and read the comments. I’m uncomfortable enjoying the same game with these types of people.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

In, I believe greenbeach, there is a place that is only accessible by one small slope.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

buglord posted:

If you ever want some crazy gamer insanity look up Holy Nation or Anti-Slaver articles on the game’s wiki and read the comments. I’m uncomfortable enjoying the same game with these types of people.

Yeah same as the deus vult shitheads for Paradox games, you get the feeling that some people are into the game to live out their xenophobic, women-enslaving fantasy

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Weirdly, a lot of my early games were as a solo female greenlander, and the Holy Nation's brutally violent misogyny totally flew over my head because I never once got harassed or treated poorly by them for being female. The actual in-game interactions for that kind of thing seem to either be very rare and/or limited to certain circumstances like base events. It wasn't until many games/hours later when I dug more into the written lore and got the full :stare: of the situation.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The deceiver, the devil, the tempress female anti-god NARKO is where a lot of the anti-woman lore comes from. Flotsam ninjas4lyfe Narko is Okran spelled backwards

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

where's everyone's favorite town
Early: hang around Gray Desert Waystation and kite raiders into eachother (or guards/turrets) to loot a ton of decent-quality gear and get acid/laser rain immunity for anyone that needs it.

Later: Black Desert City for research/manufacturing/etc in the middle of the map, with someone running west to the abandoned mine that has a (semi-automated) Hybrid Mine and a generator that produces power without ever needing fuel. One worker can make all the building materials you'll ever need.

McSlaughter posted:

Slopeless was the de facto mod for something like this but it has since stopped being updated by its creator. I thought that one of the big modder packs picked it up but they might have just incorporated a similar style of building construction into their own mod configuring... so I am not sure about that.

And anyway, if loving with and inevitably loving up stuff by forcing janky, game-breaking and physics-defying poo poo to work after painstaking effort isn't Kenshi, then what is?
my workaround: open the map editor, select building, and "reset" the rotation state. It snaps to 0/0/0 and you can tweak it however. You have to unload/reload the area (or just save/restart) before the simulation actually uses the new position for collisions/interactions/pathing.

SugarAddict posted:

I build a base with a watchtower/stationhouse that puts the map marker into the edge of HN territory, so I can use their farmland and they send raids at me, but I've built my walls out of cheese, so if meatbags want to make me worship their dumb whitey god they'll have to stand in an acid lake. Need to melt a lot of paladins to plate out my blasphemous PROTEC errorbots.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Get a very high skilled sneaker and steal beak thing eggs at night, they sell for 6250 cats each

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

So is the early game just finding a town, then finding bandits or raptors and training them onto the town guards until you've got a baseline of food and gear?

Head straight for the fog lands and hang out in the city there. Princes show up in raids often and you can make a lot of money quickly.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

There's my handsome boy. Looking distressingly beefy.

One of these days I'll go back and update him a little. I've actually been getting back into modding a bit recently.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

rock bottom is my favorite start. going from that to an absolute killing machine rocks

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Where can I buy 1) a roomy building, near 2) plentiful leather and 3) a shop that sells research books ?

THere's the grey desert waystation but leather doesn't spawn much there. Any other good spots?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'd say Squin but the leather is in the form of goats, and one doesn't gently caress with goats.

Tho you can run over to the hives and let them kill beak things for you

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
If you're up for hunting for mats, the Holy Nation lands have packs of wild bulls which yield a decent amount of animal skins and meat. They aren't too dangerous after early game but they do have an AOE attack so caution is still advised.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah I just stole a bunch of naginatas, and I'm still an all human group at the moment. I'll find a holy nation building.

I like squin in concept but the cliff walls mess with the camera too much.

edit: There isn't a good holy nation town that has a tech shop and also a large building for sale, so I went with Squin after all. I'll just tough it out there for a while while I research everything.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 10, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I just zoom in some

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Where can I buy 1) a roomy building, near 2) plentiful leather and 3) a shop that sells research books ?

THere's the grey desert waystation but leather doesn't spawn much there. Any other good spots?

My gut is telling me to check out swamp. Beak things, swamp raptors, and swamp turtles all got leather. I need to confirm if swamp tech store sells book, but I think it does.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I forgot the UC town name but it's the capital in the lower right. You have all resources you need buyable there and there's enough power and a spacious house for sale.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I know the Holy Nation hoards tech books in their little outposts.

Not to buy though. Steal 'em.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

This mod fills a small hole in the world lore and adds a ranch settlement and a few hunter/trader camps near the Shek capitol (what are all those beefy sheks eating? it's beef!) that sell skins - you can turn these into leather with a little armor crafting labor that can be done in town. It's a good way to train novice armor crafters because the output doesn't have quality, it just takes time.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1480069836

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zesty posted:

I know the Holy Nation hoards tech books in their little outposts.

Not to buy though. Steal 'em.

That's the other nice thing about squin honestly. Run through the holy Nation, grab everything that isn't nailed down,.sell it in squint.

Are there generally popular mods? The only one I'm using just adds zone labels to the map.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Are there generally popular mods? The only one I'm using just adds zone labels to the map.

Head over to the Kenshi LP by Leal:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3882213&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
Has a list of mods the OP uses (some of them are depreciated) and various other stuff in it and they generally tried to show everything the game has to offer.

As for meat and leather, easiest way to get meat and leather is to head slighty west to the blood rain place where all the beak things are. Either you fight and kill them or you drag them to the hive village and let them kill it and loot it afterwords. Just be sure to have a trader's backpack (ones that have stacking), because they have alot of skin and meat.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Peeler machine produces animal skin right? :black101:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

That's the other nice thing about squin honestly. Run through the holy Nation, grab everything that isn't nailed down,.sell it in squint.

Here's what I usually post when asked. It might be a little dated but if you feel like doing a little research you might find the reasoning of why you'd want it and maybe some alternatives if they aren't available.

Zesty posted:

Here's a bunch of mods I used. Don't blindly add things. Read things through. Some things I posted are not compatible with some things McSlaughter posted. Living World, Reactive World, and Genesis seem like huge sweeping changes that would not be compatible with each other.

Quality of Life
256 Recruitment Limit
Faster Bed Healing
Copper Ore Drills
shops have more items +
Minor Faction Pacifiers
More Plastic Surgeons
Recruitable Prisoners - with dialogue

More Options
Peeler Machine
Storage Plus
Expanded Craftable Weapons v2.1
Animal Traders
Moisture Farming
Rations & More
Defensive Gates 10x HP & 2x gate repair speed.
Little Camp Mod
Simple Camping Extras

Pretty poo poo Up
Dark UI
Nice Map [Zones + Zone names + Roads]
Animation Overhaul Mod - Crafting
Better Crop Fences
Race Blood
Interior (and Exterior) Design
KenshICONS
Loading Screens
Crucifixion

More Exciting World
Living World
Enhanced Shopping Economy
Taxman/Tribute/Prayer Relations+
Cannibals Expanded
Shrieking Bandits Expanded
Hives Expanded
Faction Caravans
Dialogue Expansion Project
Let's Talk
More Names!
Relatable Bandits

Dummies (cheaty, but gently caress it)
Advanced training dummies
Sparring Mats - Basic Training for Melee Defense & Martial Arts
Weight Bench - Strength Training
Wooden Dexterity Training Dummy (Animated)

Fix Broken poo poo
World State Checker
No Cut Efficiency
Fixing Clipping Issues
Free the Hair

From Babe Magnet:
just in case you weren't aware I actually made NCE patches for Hivers/Shrieking/Cannibals:

Shrieking Bandits
Cannibal
Hives

Personally, I'm waiting for Lost in the Ashlands (Procedural Quests/Wars/Reputation/Combat Overhaul) to do a new playthrough, but he said it'd be ready by the end of February and it's not here so who knows.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 10, 2021

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

I've been using the Kenshi: Age of Blood and Sand Collection it's a nice change from vanilla. It adds new factions, new cities, rebuilds the Hub it's like 300+ mods though it might be too much.

One tip, you can clear the stolen status of an item by putting it into a proper storage container that you built. Like Weapons into Weapon cabinet, Armor into Armor Chest etc...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I can't put stone / ore processors inside purchased buildings?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That sounds right. It's been a bit, but I recall the game really wanting you to make your own bases.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Can't put ore processors indoors anywhere

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

I can't put stone / ore processors inside purchased buildings?

There are a couple of nice mods that add miniaturized indoor versions of drills/processors and similar industrial buildings. Other than that yeah you have to deal with raiders and/or tax bullshit.

If you really want an easy time with raiders, there's a relatively minor glitch that lets you bend some of the more arbitrary restrictions on where you can build.

silentsnack posted:

Suppose I want to build on the hill just north of Mongrel, where I can completely ignore cannibal raids because fogmen and Shinobi Guards make great meatshields. Except the game won't let me, because each "town" has some arbitrary exclusion radius that goes far beyond the town itself.

But it will let me build something further away...

...which creates an "outpost" town, that has its own radius where I'm allowed to build stuff.

Curiously, it doing this will let me build in Mongrel's exclusion zone.

Also doing this moves the "outpost" marker on the map

And deleting the first house moves the marker again

Now it looks like I CAN build on the hill, so long as I stay outside Mongrel itself.

A warning, save before trying this because occasionally deleting a structure for some reason reassigns the outpost to the nearest Fog Deathyard or Beak Thing Nest, meaning you can't deconstruct (though you can finish the build or pause construction and ignore it since it'll probably eventually despawn on its own if you kill the nest/etc and leave the area?).
And after further experimentation I found a couple of other weird interactions that can give even funnier results

silentsnack posted:

Welp here's a new one: a workaround for times when you want to make peace with a faction, but their pacifier refuses to talk to you because you're allied to a faction they hate and/or you keep beating up their nobles (or because the faction doesn't have any pacifiers): kidnap the pacifier (or gang boss), shove them in a Peeler Machine, then bandage them. Because imprisoning someone with [diplomatic status] gives you instant -100 relations but giving first aid raises relations up as high as ~+5 in just a few seconds. Optionally you can take them back out and release them.
[.....]
e: addendum, figured out what causes player-built Buildings to be assigned to NPC towns.

Here's an example using the Grey Desert Waystation, where you can make use of the fact town guards will use turrets in any building with access set to "public"

The issue seems to be caused by having a player-outpost nearby but placing the Building outside of the outpost's territory. Here we see the Waystation's radius so we definitely need to be outside of that, it's just here for reference... also noteworthy is the fact that those rings have abysmal parallax unless you're looking straight down.

Start by placing an ore drill and a shack, which creates an outpost and we see the radius here. We need to know approximately where my outpost officially ends, so I take a look in editor and it checks out.

Since this is just an experiment I place two Watchtowers without putting much more thought into it. The towers need to be slightly too far outside of my outpost's radius for the game to consider them part of the same outpost, but (if you're building near a city) they still need to be fairly close in order to be allowed to build.

So I guess the order of operations is that the game first checks whether the location is valid to build at all, and if so then it places the building and only after that checks to see which town it is inside, and since it is not inside a town and cannot be added to an existing outpost it then attempts to create a new outpost. If it reaches this step but fails to create an outpost (because it is too close to the border of my first outpost?) the fallback is to pick the nearest nonplayer town(???)

This, along with the build-too-close-to-town exploit, would enable some weird symbiotic colonies where you build Watchtowers+turrets for NPC guards to use to defend themselves and you, and build your own base wrapped around the town, with a wall to force enemies into the turret murder alley. If that actually works then Vain might not be such a miserable place to live.

Combining the first and third bugs lets you build a fortress *around the outside* of Mongrel/Shark/Mourn or other neutral/friendly towns like TechHunter outposts or Hiver villages, with town guards that help in defense.

And since the second bug lets you make almost any faction neutral... team up with some neutralized bandits/ninjas or Venge/Ashlands murderbots so they ignore you, but still beat up any raiders (and help you steal from caravans)

I'm pretty sure these bugs were all reported years ago but never got fixed, so they can be effectively considered official unplanned """features""" and exploiting them isn't cheating but just an optional part of the Kenshi Jankiness Simulator experience.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I mean if you're willing to do that kind of obviously exploitive poo poo just use a mod, nobody's going to make fun of you.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The only time I had outpost markers overlap it completely broke the job AI. Nobody would pull items from boxes to do anything anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

I mean if you're willing to do that kind of obviously exploitive poo poo just use a mod, nobody's going to make fun of you.

Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have left it up to the reader to infer that post was meant to illustrate why it would be pointless to avoid mods due to concerns about whether a quality-of-life mod breaks game balance: the game is already such an unbalanced wonky mess that even when trying to stay within the rules in a 100% vanilla playthrough you might find yourself accidentally using exploits if you encounter an unexpected quirky game mechanic and don't immediately stop to investigate.