Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

thank you for all of the help identifying the international harvester! i had never even heard of IH before this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Uthor posted:

I got the jack recommended by Wirecutter.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-gear-for-a-roadside-emergency/

I used it on my mom's CR-V and it felt a little dicey when extended that far, but I think it'd be alright for changing a tire on a sedan.

If "tire tool" you mean lug wrench, I bought a long breaker bar and a socket of the correct size and carry those with me. Get more torque than on a compact wrench.

Thanks. Thats one of the ones with dicey reviews from Amazon, so Im not sure. I will definitely try a lug wrench.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
https://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-half-ton-scissor-jack-66907.html would something like this work as a replacement for an emergency jack? As with the guy above, just to change tires, not to actually work on the car. I don't use Amazon and would rather not deal with shipping.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Javid posted:

Multiple days with gas stations in multiple states, some of it high altitude 85 octane, on a route I drive every year. :iiam:

Kind of a dumb question but is your odo working properly?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

DildenAnders posted:

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-half-ton-scissor-jack-66907.html would something like this work as a replacement for an emergency jack? As with the guy above, just to change tires, not to actually work on the car. I don't use Amazon and would rather not deal with shipping.

That's exactly what most cars come with from the factory.

Hit up a self service junkyard and see if you can find one for less, if you want - they're $7 and change at my local yard, though knowing them they'll probably try to charge you extra for the tools you need to use the thing.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Please post a thread entitled USS Cadillac!

done (kinda)

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

STR posted:

That's exactly what most cars come with from the factory.

Hit up a self service junkyard and see if you can find one for less, if you want - they're $7 and change at my local yard, though knowing them they'll probably try to charge you extra for the tools you need to use the thing.

I am on Long Island (Suffolk), if someone knows of a pick and pull junkyard that's not more than an hour away I'd be super grateful

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I am looking as well, but most places dont have more current year models (to the point Im guessing theres got to be something legal about having newer year models). Im going to call and ask one place tomorrow, but Id almost have to have it shipped as its 2 or more hours away. Is there any way to gauge jack compatibility across years/models? Im guessing same body style would work but I dont know about Accord vs Civic vs whatever else.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

DildenAnders posted:

I am on Long Island (Suffolk), if someone knows of a pick and pull junkyard that's not more than an hour away I'd be super grateful

Check row52.com, if you can't find a self serve within your range using that, try car-part.com, which covers both full-service and PicknPull yards.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

I am looking as well, but most places dont have more current year models (to the point Im guessing theres got to be something legal about having newer year models). Im going to call and ask one place tomorrow, but Id almost have to have it shipped as its 2 or more hours away. Is there any way to gauge jack compatibility across years/models? Im guessing same body style would work but I dont know about Accord vs Civic vs whatever else.

American and Japanese cars really haven't changed their jacks much since the late 80s. My Accord jack was identical to my Civic and Integra jacks. Looked pretty similar to my Saturn jack too. So long as they fit into the pinch weld (jacking location on most unibody cars), they'll work, though the tools to raise/lower them may differ across makes.

The HF one looks exactly like my Honda jacks.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

STR posted:

American and Japanese cars really haven't changed their jacks much since the late 80s. My Accord jack was identical to my Civic and Integra jacks. Looked pretty similar to my Saturn jack too. So long as they fit into the pinch weld (jacking location on most unibody cars), they'll work, though the tools to raise/lower them may differ across makes.

The HF one looks exactly like my Honda jacks.

I've never had a car where the pinch weld wasn't totally munted by some previous owner using (presumably) a trolley jack on it though

But yes the slot is for the pinch weld if yours is intact

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Can a commercial box truck that says "This is an incomplete vehicle" on the VIN tag be driven legally in the US? I tried googling the phase and all I could find references Canadian laws about having to list that if the truck body is done by someone other than the original manufacturer.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yes. All that tag means is it was delivered to whoever put the box on it as a cutaway chassis. There will be another tag somewhere showing who finished it.

Happens with van-based buses, moving trucks, RVs, etc... anything that has a van or pickup front end with everything else made by someone else. The "incomplete vehicle" is this:

e: now that I think back, the UPS trucks I've been in even had an incomplete chassis tag, even though they're built exclusively for UPS and go straight to the crusher when UPS is done with them. Front clip and drivetrain/frame are built by one company, another does the cargo area. I think these days they're using GM 6.0 gassers with a 4 speed auto (might be a 6 speed) and Oldsmobile Intrigue or Alero headlights?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 12, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

And with a stick across the back to hold the tail lights and a set of mud flaps you can drive those on the road legally before they are finished. Maybe it's more like "legally" but I've never seen anyone get poo poo for it. Could vary by state.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Motronic posted:

And with a stick across the back to hold the tail lights and a set of mud flaps you can drive those on the road legally before they are finished. Maybe it's more like "legally" but I've never seen anyone get poo poo for it. Could vary by state.

I think as with most things it's a bit condition based. If it's a plausible new build, sure. If it's beat to poo poo, you're probably going to get a little bit of attention.

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10
My front passenger car door got smashed in a hit and run. What's a good method or some places to look for a replacement door?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

El Kabong posted:

My front passenger car door got smashed in a hit and run. What's a good method or some places to look for a replacement door?

Local junkyards.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Car-part.com and row52 are junkyard aggregator websites you can search online.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
What they said.

Make sure you move the lock cylinder from the old door to the new door before scrapping the old door.

If you're patient you can probably find a good condition door with the same factory paint. Find out where the paint codes are on the manufacturers data plate (and where it is) and go shopping.

Don't cut the wiring harness on your side of the connector at the hinge, unplug it or ideally cut a 6 inch chunk off the body harness to take with it. You might need to splice it onto your car or swap the entire door internal harness depending on year crossovers because sometimes the paint code lasted longer than the connector choice. Subaru punked me that way once.

kastein fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 13, 2021

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

hello! this morning we discovered that someone stole the catalytic converter off my wife's car - a 2006 toyota prius. fortunately our insurance covers the repair, but ive also started looking at some of the converter guards - does anyone know how easy/had these are to install? i am someone with zero car experience. any recommendations on what might be best? we also have a 2005 prius.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Owlspiracy posted:

hello! this morning we discovered that someone stole the catalytic converter off my wife's car - a 2006 toyota prius. fortunately our insurance covers the repair, but ive also started looking at some of the converter guards - does anyone know how easy/had these are to install? i am someone with zero car experience. any recommendations on what might be best? we also have a 2005 prius.

The shop doing the work to replace your cats should have a suggestion and install it along with the new cats. Let them know before you show up to get the work done so they can get the parts in.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Motronic posted:

The shop doing the work to replace your cats should have a suggestion and install it along with the new cats. Let them know before you show up to get the work done so they can get the parts in.

they didn't have experience, but the new cat doesn't have the rare earth metals the OEM one does so it won't be a problem anymore (which is why they probably don't have the experience...)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It does, just not in the same quantities. You should be asking your insurance for OEM replacements, especially if you live in California or another CARB state (you won't pass smog with an aftermarket cat in states that follow CARB standards). Even if you don't, make sure your insurance is giving you a lifetime warranty on the repair... because the cheap aftermarket cats might last 2-3 years before you have an issue. 3-6 months if it's a particularly lovely one.

And the next person along with a Sawzall won't know it's not the original one, they spend 30 seconds (if that) chopping it out. They don't bother looking at serial #s or anything to make sure it's the same part.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 13, 2021

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

STR posted:

It does, just not in the same quantities. You should be asking your insurance for OEM replacements, especially if you live in California or another CARB state (you won't pass smog with an aftermarket cat in states that follow CARB standards). Even if you don't, make sure your insurance is giving you a lifetime warranty on the repair... because the cheap aftermarket cats might last 2-3 years before you have an issue. 3-6 months if it's a particularly lovely one.

And the next person along with a Sawzall won't know it's not the original one, they spend 30 seconds (if that) chopping it out. They don't bother looking at serial #s or anything to make sure it's the same part.

i appreciate the advice but the car is probably only worth about $4000 and if this wasn't covered by insurance we'd probably be buying a new car. its 16 years old and is 1 major repair away from the scrapyard. we don't live in CA and the OEM parts have been on back order since December.

Owlspiracy fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 13, 2021

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10

kastein posted:

What they said.

Make sure you move the lock cylinder from the old door to the new door before scrapping the old door.

Thank you for this. I probably would have tossed the old door without thinking about that.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

why are priuses a favored target for cat theft anyway? i would think trucks or big suvs with more ground clearance would be easier to steal from , and there's nothing particularly special about one made for a hybrid vs a trad gas engine, is there?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Thauros posted:

why are priuses a favored target for cat theft anyway? i would think trucks or big suvs with more ground clearance would be easier to steal from , and there's nothing particularly special about one made for a hybrid vs a trad gas engine, is there?

Some Article posted:

The Prius is targeted, officials said, because damage to those precious metals is far less in a converter on a hybrid car.

If I had a Prius I'd probably ask my insurer if I could get a discount for adding a cat protector.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

are there any open source, or affordable, options for hooking a laptop up to my cars computer so i can view fuel trims, sensor readouts, etc through the obd port?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

If you're open to using your phone instead of a laptop, there's a number - ELM327 is the search term for a bluetooth adapter. Lots of people report problems with the really cheap ones, so don't buy the cheapest one you find, and bear in mind that if you're using an iPhone you need a wifi module, not bluetooth.

Having used one of these for years, I'd need a really good reason to want to put a laptop anywhere for it. Edit: I bought this one almost 5 years ago and have yet to have a problem: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WPW6BAE/

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Thauros posted:

They have more rare-earth metals in the converter than normal, there's also tons of them esp in california.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Krakkles posted:

If you're open to using your phone instead of a laptop, there's a number - ELM327 is the search term for a bluetooth adapter. Lots of people report problems with the really cheap ones, so don't buy the cheapest one you find, and bear in mind that if you're using an iPhone you need a wifi module, not bluetooth.

Having used one of these for years, I'd need a really good reason to want to put a laptop anywhere for it. Edit: I bought this one almost 5 years ago and have yet to have a problem: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WPW6BAE/

any recommendations on an app that can use that device? just bought one

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

ROFLburger posted:

any recommendations on an app that can use that device? just bought one

Torque or CarScanner on Android

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I like OBDFusion on iOS.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Thauros posted:

So many people get their prius cat stolen and need an OEM replacement that there is a huge market in stealing prius cats to provide an ORM replacement

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

simplefish posted:

So many people get their prius cat stolen and need an OEM replacement that there is a huge market in stealing prius cats to provide an ORM replacement

i was talking to the mechanic and he said it has about $2k worth of rare earth metals and they get shipped to china in big batches to get smelted down and resold so who knows. apparently there's been dozens of thefts in my city in the past few days - its a crew of three guys with a jack and a sawzall and they can grab them in a few minutes.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I dunno 2k, but it's definitely in the hundreds. And it's platinum-group elements, as opposed to rare earths.

I haven't heard the China angle, but I know you can take the catalyst lattice out of the guts of a couple of cats and put them in a new housing to get something together that will pass emissions.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

a cat does not have two thousand dollars of rare earth minerals in it

how do i know this? because the OEM part's MSRP is like seven hundred to a thousand dollars and OEMs aren't in the business of selling parts below cost, let alone materials cost

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Memento posted:

I dunno 2k, but it's definitely in the hundreds. And it's platinum-group elements, as opposed to rare earths.

I haven't heard the China angle, but I know you can take the catalyst lattice out of the guts of a couple of cats and put them in a new housing to get something together that will pass emissions.

Yeah, "rare earth" elements aren't particularly rare. They got named that because they were first discovered in a weird type of ore that turned up now and then in a particular mine. "Rare earth" refers to the ore, not the elements. Once they knew what they were looking for, they turned out to be pretty easy to find.

The mine, by the way, was outside the village of Ytterby, Sweden. It ended up with four elements named after it - Ytterbium, Terbium, Erbium, and Yttrium.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
To be pedantic, anything with more than two protons is pretty rare, in the grand scheme of things. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Owlspiracy posted:

i was talking to the mechanic and he said it has about $2k worth of rare earth metals and they get shipped to china in big batches to get smelted down and resold so who knows. apparently there's been dozens of thefts in my city in the past few days - its a crew of three guys with a jack and a sawzall and they can grab them in a few minutes.

Yeah it was a joke

Memento posted:

Going rate is about $350 selling to a scrapper round here. Then obviously there'll be a margin on that when the scrapper sells to joe public