Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Another cool thing about membership cards is that you can still buy from the secret shop even if the regular shop was Greed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I've found it hard to spend all my money. Magic fingers has been really strong for me for that reason.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Oh man Tainted Jacob really is as bad as people say he is...my god this creator sometimes just has no concept of restraint in difficulty. I doubt if I ever complete any of it if they don't adjust because it's just too stressful if nothing else. You need some sort of EDGE or condition to make a difficult challenge fun but this doesn't have any of that.

I did find one way to cheat it. Maybe some of you know but I suggest you all do this asap before they patch it out. Basically at the start of each floor wait for Dark Esau to spawn and then take his rear end out. He is easy to beat even with base damage. When he starts his death animation PAUSE!! and exit and continue. He'll be gone, and you'll still be alive. You can continue until the end of the floor without him pestering you

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 11, 2021

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
So how are you all liking Repentance? All these item/trinket nerfs seem unnecessary and heavy handed. Like why? I've done my share of win streaks so now I'm back to resetting when I'm getting nothing but crap. If I get to the depths and don't have a single dmg/tears up yet I'm not gonna slog through another low DPS run hoping for a d1/d6 dice room. Later floors with base damage is just not fun, at all.

PostNouveau posted:

I normally avoid brimstone baby (and most of the familiars that shoot. I just hate having to manage that; it's way less fun.) But I pretty much had to take it on my last run, and hoo boy did the brimstone nerf hit brimstone baby hard. It's super not worth it now.
I'd almost always take lil brimstone before but yeah, he takes longer to charge and his brimstone beam fires for a much shorter period so he is way shittier. He was really good if you got him as your first 2 familiars but if he's dangling too far behind you then he's not worth the effort of aiming. One thing that was buffed is picking up succubus puts succubus at the top of your familiars which is great for what already was the best offensive familiar, not sure why they did that.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Yeah the familiars will now prioritize themselves. I thought lil brim placed himself at the front or second in queue as well but i’ve never been able to test it

imo he’s still worth grabbing just because he pairs with king baby incredibly well

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I've seen the single item shop before Repentance. Extremely rare obviously but it did happen

Also I've run into Membership Card twice now and both times it wound up getting me access to a game-ending item so it's an always-buy for me now

I dont mean shop i mean in a regular non shop room

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Also lil brim places himself on front unless you have incubus in which case hell jump to 2nd place

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Sanctum posted:

So how are you all liking Repentance? All these item/trinket nerfs seem unnecessary and heavy handed. Like why? I've done my share of win streaks so now I'm back to resetting when I'm getting nothing but crap. If I get to the depths and don't have a single dmg/tears up yet I'm not gonna slog through another low DPS run hoping for a d1/d6 dice room. Later floors with base damage is just not fun, at all.

I'd almost always take lil brimstone before but yeah, he takes longer to charge and his brimstone beam fires for a much shorter period so he is way shittier. He was really good if you got him as your first 2 familiars but if he's dangling too far behind you then he's not worth the effort of aiming. One thing that was buffed is picking up succubus puts succubus at the top of your familiars which is great for what already was the best offensive familiar, not sure why they did that.

I'm loving it for the most part--hadn't been interested in Isaac since Rebirth. Played Afterbirth and AB+ and kind of had to force myself to complete them but this has reinvigorated my interest. I really like most of the new content except for a few things. Like the thing I mentioned in my other post for one. I don't mind the nerfs because I'm finding other ways to get an edge. But the other thing I think they need to address is like what you said which is that starting damage across the board is a bit too low. I don't even give it to the depths. It's just no fun to claw and scratch to try to get something to work with only for your run to peter out at depths/womb.

What they could do is either give everyone a boost to starting damage, or have a curated first floor item and boss drop so that you will always get something decent to work with. I really don't want to have to restart my runs so much--but it's just not worth the time to fight through sub-par runs.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm bashing my loving skull in trying to kill Mother.
I get there very reliably but always die at the second phase for some bullshit reason.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Sanctum posted:

Generally speaking if I end up having a low damage run I'll prioritize getting to the Angel Room first before I decide to restart. Once you get in the habit of using your bombs to clear higher HP bosses you can usually get to it pretty quickly even if you get screwed, and Angel Rooms will almost always have a high value item that'll speed up your runs.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I'm bashing my loving skull in trying to kill Mother.
I get there very reliably but always die at the second phase for some bullshit reason.

I see the first section as more difficult especially that annoying fistula attack. You just don't have enough space to work with. The part of the second phase though that I don't like, is that I sometimes can't see the beams of its horizontal and vertical shots too well and I feel like I'm just guessing. I don't know maybe I'm missing something in that sequence.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

wait you have to USE the red key to unlock the tainted character???

fffffffuckkkkkkkkkkk

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I had polyphemus and picked up Tech X on the chest went from full spirit hearts to dead in the next 2 rooms after being unable to kill enemies.

No soy milk or proptosis or anything that I know would be bad with tech X. As soon as I took tech X damage was just awful, like worse than soy brimstone. What did they do to tech X? :ohdear:

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Trisagion, tractor beam, and pop! combos oddly (and awesomely). Several shots of trisagion come out then stall in the middle of the room, endlessly shooting out smaller tears, which hit the other trisagion shots and seem to multiply until the entire screen is full and you can't see anything.

Normally I regret trisagion but drat, this one was awesome

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Eclipse12 posted:

Trisagion, tractor beam, and pop! combos oddly (and awesomely). Several shots of trisagion come out then stall in the middle of the room, endlessly shooting out smaller tears, which hit the other trisagion shots and seem to multiply until the entire screen is full and you can't see anything.

Normally I regret trisagion but drat, this one was awesome

Trisagion, monstro's lung and ludovico melted Mother as The Lost for me. Thank God.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Even with the cheating method..doing Hush as Tainted Jacob was no joke! The problem was even getting to him. Because you spend like a minute piddling around at the start of each floor you gotta get down there and you might have to ignore item rooms and shops and other completion stuff along the way. And then still enough dead ends or a curse of the lost can end you. I just barely made it using an emperor card and rushing down the womb 1 boss(thank god it wasnt skolex or whatever his name is) before my timer was down. And then there's the Hush fight itself--which to me is now borderline unplayable with the increased speed. I won with one HP left even with Guppy. He is just spawning so much poo poo and throwing it at you and as the fight goes later on it's harder to process what you're even doing. But I did win. And my brain can't handle anymore Isaac tonight :D. So tomorrow we try to finish things!

I'm surprised on the global achievements some people have 100%ed this already. HOW!!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

People say this release is buggy but if you do a Tainted Bethany run to Mega Satan you'll be amazed at what this game is capable of. My game only crashed once, and considering what was going on, that was a huge achievement. (ok there are still bugs and they should be fixed but I'm impressed at how not broken it is so far)

(I actually had another Tainted Bethany run that got locked out of Lemegeton, the icon just disappeared, no idea what happened there)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 12, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Well, just discovered exiting just as you die apparently keeps your win-streak? Otherwise I'd be real pissed since I'm trying to go for the "Get a 5 win streak with different characters each time" and dying as Azazel against Isaac feels real bad.

They reduced that achievement to 3 which is pretty reasonable!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Can you use tainted characters for that?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Kawalimus posted:

Even with the cheating method..doing Hush as Tainted Jacob was no joke! The problem was even getting to him. Because you spend like a minute piddling around at the start of each floor you gotta get down there and you might have to ignore item rooms and shops and other completion stuff along the way. And then still enough dead ends or a curse of the lost can end you. I just barely made it using an emperor card and rushing down the womb 1 boss(thank god it wasnt skolex or whatever his name is) before my timer was down. And then there's the Hush fight itself--which to me is now borderline unplayable with the increased speed. I won with one HP left even with Guppy. He is just spawning so much poo poo and throwing it at you and as the fight goes later on it's harder to process what you're even doing. But I did win. And my brain can't handle anymore Isaac tonight :D. So tomorrow we try to finish things!

I'm surprised on the global achievements some people have 100%ed this already. HOW!!

Probably cheats

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think you can use co-op locally with four different characters to get unlocks for all four characters. You also get extra items so it makes unlocking everything really easy. I wouldn't do it but that's how people can 100% so rapidly (there are probably a few crazies who have already 100%'d legit though).

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Spin to win with Bethany is maybe the most fun I've ever had while playing Isaac, what an incredible synergy this is :allears:

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Birthright is an awesome item, especially on Eve.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ryuga Death posted:

Birthright is an awesome item, especially on Eve.

I just looked it up, that's really really cool. Wild how much went into this expansion

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
is there an ETA on when modding might be re-enabled? i just want my extra descriptions back instead of spending half a run on https://platinumgod.co.uk/

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Got my first win against the super secret definitely final boss with Bethany, on a base damage and speed run no less. My secret? Gnawed Leaf + Best Bud, truly the pro-est of strats.

How do you play as the tainted characters anyway? I've unlocked Judas, J&E, and Bethany but I can't see any way to access them from the character select screen.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

How do you play as the tainted characters anyway? I've unlocked Judas, J&E, and Bethany but I can't see any way to access them from the character select screen.

On a controller, R1. There should be a note on the character select screen.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

goferchan posted:

They reduced that achievement to 3 which is pretty reasonable!

Somehow I had read that when checking the achievements and then completely forgot about. Guess I'll go try for some other unlocks (like the Victory Lap ones since I never did more than one) and then I'll get Repentance once I'm happy with what I've got.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Qylvaran posted:

On a controller, R1. There should be a note on the character select screen.

Oh thanks, I completely failed to notice the note. It's E on KB, for the record.

HeyItsAyls
Nov 25, 2011

Sanctum posted:

I had polyphemus and picked up Tech X on the chest went from full spirit hearts to dead in the next 2 rooms after being unable to kill enemies.

No soy milk or proptosis or anything that I know would be bad with tech X. As soon as I took tech X damage was just awful, like worse than soy brimstone. What did they do to tech X? :ohdear:

Tech X's damage now scales on how much you charge it, doing only 25% damage at minimum charge.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

So I've unlocked six of these apparently reversed or dark tarot cards but haven't seen a single one of them yet. Is there a special place to get them or are they just super rare?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Kawalimus posted:

So I've unlocked six of these apparently reversed or dark tarot cards but haven't seen a single one of them yet. Is there a special place to get them or are they just super rare?

They spawn anywhere cards do, but I think they're in the rarer category alongside stuff like the MtG cards and such. Which makes sense, a lot of them have REALLY powerful effects.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Wow (secret-ish character)Tainted Bethany is absolutely nuts. My first try with her and I totally sleepwalked through a boss rush to mother run. Felt like an Afterbirth+ style broken shop run or something.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

For Tainted Bethany, do you prefer stockpiling 90+ hearts then unleashing them all at the end game? Or do you like just using them as you get them? I did the former and it worked out well but my opener was really strong.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

No Wave posted:

For Tainted Bethany, do you prefer stockpiling 90+ hearts then unleashing them all at the end game? Or do you like just using them as you get them? I did the former and it worked out well but my opener was really strong.

I stockpiled since for like 95% of the run I was so powerful that becoming more powerful wouldn't have made much of a difference. If I became not-OP I'd use charges until I was again.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Just finished an Ultra Greed run with Lilith, Bot Fly, Sacred Heart, and 4.5 Volt (charged from hitting enemies). By the end of the Greed fight I had 17 Incubi firing 5 tears a second and ~19 damage. It was super fun.

Greed machine jammed with 1% chance at 989 coins, with 30 more to donate :downs:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Even with Psy Fly I fail to kill Mother. I don't know what I'm messing up. Her pattern isn't that hard!!

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Even with Psy Fly I fail to kill Mother. I don't know what I'm messing up. Her pattern isn't that hard!!

A lot of it is just getting used to hard fights not having a safety buffer. Poloroid was real good and most of my Afterbirth-era runs ended with no red health because never not devil deals. The biggest issue with Mother when a run goes bad is not that I get hit once, it's I get hit like three times because once it turns out you're NOT safe where you thought you were safe, it's often too late to figure out where 'safe' is without eating a lot more poo poo.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

...I really should've known better than to try and go for the extra boss item on Dross 2 while I had Dr Fetus
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mr. Locke posted:

A lot of it is just getting used to hard fights not having a safety buffer. Poloroid was real good and most of my Afterbirth-era runs ended with no red health because never not devil deals. The biggest issue with Mother when a run goes bad is not that I get hit once, it's I get hit like three times because once it turns out you're NOT safe where you thought you were safe, it's often too late to figure out where 'safe' is without eating a lot more poo poo.

I think you're right. As soon as I mess up, I just get burned down. It's kind of an all-or-nothing fight.

I'm also having a helluva time getting extra HP for the fight. Most of the time I have 3-4 red hearts and maybe a couple blues.

Is there a character that's best set up for it? I've mostly used Cain for the key you start off with.