Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Evil Mastermind posted:

This shop on Etsy does phenomenal inserts for Tiny Epic games. He made an all-in-one-box one for Pirates, but it sold out so fast he had to remove the listing so he could get caught up. I highly recommend his work; I'd keep an eye on the shop for when the Pirates insert becomes available again.

Yikes. I'll need to keep an eye out. This box is ridiculously small for all the poo poo they put in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
If you have a friend with a 3d printer, this may solve your problems - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4814080

I don't have the game so I can't test it out myself, but I print box organizers for most of my games these days, especially when I'm collapsing expansions into the core boxes.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Doctor Zero posted:

What's a Hero chest for Hexplore? Nowhere in that listing does it explain what it is. :iiam:

It's a separate box with dividers and stuff that's designed to hold all the character creation bits - roles, races, traits, now Aspects. The reason you might want that is that all of that can be used with any of the volumes, so having it in one place is more convenient. Also, with the character bits removed the core boxes so far will hold all the expansion stuff as well, so you can downsize by one box per volume. It's not an essential buy, especially if you're not going all in on the series and just have the one volume. But I love it.

(It also includes a few convenience items like microfiber cloths, more dry erase markers, and a handful of extra dry erase boards for continuing to write character inventory (these are small) or party inventory on.)

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I caved and signed up for all of Hexplore last night. I honestly think it more likely to hit the table, as a solo or 2p coop, than Mythic Battles as a 2p competitive game and that was the big war for my crowdfunding dollar this month. The more videos I watch for Hexplore, the more hype I get.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Memnaelar posted:

I caved and signed up for all of Hexplore last night. I honestly think it more likely to hit the table, as a solo or 2p coop, than Mythic Battles as a 2p competitive game and that was the big war for my crowdfunding dollar this month. The more videos I watch for Hexplore, the more hype I get.
I backed it way back when I saw it featured on a small YouTube show "Beer & Boardgames." I thought it was cool that the designer was there with the guys showing off how to play and wanted to support independent designers like him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtzikAhOl4w

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

What's a Hero chest for Hexplore? Nowhere in that listing does it explain what it is. :iiam:

If you click the pic on gamefound it breaks it out.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jarvisi posted:

Yikes. I'll need to keep an eye out. This box is ridiculously small for all the poo poo they put in.
Game Foundry does have pics of their insert: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNQl36mBdbc/

e: there's a separate insert for the Amdiak expansion.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
What is up with every TG Kickstarter I back lately immediately sending me a survey?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

JazzFlight posted:

I backed it way back when I saw it featured on a small YouTube show "Beer & Boardgames." I thought it was cool that the designer was there with the guys showing off how to play and wanted to support independent designers like him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtzikAhOl4w

I have no idea what I just watched but I know that I'm now going all in on Hexplore It and also I love every person in that video.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

djfooboo posted:

If you click the pic on gamefound it breaks it out.

Clicking. Ah yes. How... quaint. :smug:

:smith:

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Hexplore It looks extremely my poo poo but I just don't have the space to either store it or play it in my small flat. I can only hope they put out some TTS DLC at some point, because I'd absolutely pay for that.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

jivjov posted:

What is up with every TG Kickstarter I back lately immediately sending me a survey?

The ones I've gotten have all seemed like predicting add-on demand.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

potatocubed posted:

Hexplore It looks extremely my poo poo but I just don't have the space to either store it or play it in my small flat. I can only hope they put out some TTS DLC at some point, because I'd absolutely pay for that.

I'm unclear on why there's no TTS version currently. Maybe they don't want one, maybe it's too niche to have popped up (although there's mods for all sorts of weird obscure things), maybe people would have but don't have a good answer to dry erase functionality (this is something I'm trying to figure out - tts text/drawing tools are terrible). IDK.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Given the popularity of the crowdfunding campaigns, I suspect it’s because they don’t want free tts mods. Which is fair, but it would be nice if they at least had an official paid mod of one of the volumes now that the line is expanding!

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Stickman posted:

Given the popularity of the crowdfunding campaigns, I suspect it’s because they don’t want free tts mods. Which is fair, but it would be nice if they at least had an official paid mod of one of the volumes now that the line is expanding!

Ehhh. They get good money, don't get me wrong, but like, the biggest backer count they got was on Sands of Shurax for 2.4k backers. And I bet a lot of those backers are, like me, return backers. That's good crowdfunding numbers. That's still a tiny number of people. And given the number of people just in these comments that went "wait, what is this?" for the current campaign, I think there's a decent case to be made they're pretty obscure. it's entirely plausible it just hasn't come up. But I'll be asking.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
On the Steam forums for TTS someone said they'd asked the makers of Hexplore if they wanted him to make them a mod and they said no, so they either don't want a free one because they think it'll reduce demand or (less likely) they've got plans for one themselves.

Like Stickman said, it's entirely fair not to want your game ripped onto the internet for free, but a paid DLC would be nice.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

potatocubed posted:

On the Steam forums for TTS someone said they'd asked the makers of Hexplore if they wanted him to make them a mod and they said no, so they either don't want a free one because they think it'll reduce demand or (less likely) they've got plans for one themselves.

Like Stickman said, it's entirely fair not to want your game ripped onto the internet for free, but a paid DLC would be nice.

Ah, fair enough. I'd buy one.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

jivjov posted:

You're not excited about ADD-ONS!?!!!??!??!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Lasting Tales and Fantasy Series 2 is up to 208 figures, or $0.361 per miniature. And these are 28mm and some are very large. I don't understand how to they can afford to sell this, or is it making a loss per sale but think of the volume.

quote:

Day 13 Comparison:

FS1: $188,305 (16.29%) from 2,912 backers (17.74%)

FS2: $793,323 (68.63%) from 7,441 backers (45.32%)

I had the same fear for Fantasy Series 1 and it worked out ok, so what do I know.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 13, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

12 hr warning on Fjords
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grailgames/fjords-a-grail-game

It's basically Carcassonne, but Vikings

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the reminder. 4 player (plus epic 2 player) fjords coming my way this thanksgiving!

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Comstar posted:

Lasting Tales and Fantasy Series 2 is up to 208 figures, or $0.361 per miniature. And these are 28mm and some are very large. I don't understand how to they can afford to sell this, or is it making a loss per sale but think of the volume.

I had the same fear for Fantasy Series 1 and it worked out ok, so what do I know.

My willpower... Fading.

Send help.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I don't know if this fully fits as a "Traditional Game," but if you like tarot cards, I think this is cool. Might also be a cool prop/inspiration for other tabletop games:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/713books/the-alleymans-tarot/

Basically a tarot deck made to look like a mismatched cobbled together thing you might find a back alley fortuneteller using in a story.

quote:

The Alleyman's Tarot is a 133 card, mismatched tarot deck. An artifact from the real world, it was made with the kindness of many other artists, part made up of cards licensed from other, real-world tarot decks, part made up of cards I or other artists made for the deck, and part made up of standalone cards from older tarot decks, now public domain. This deck comes with a special guide made specific for the deck, written by the Alleyman himself, explaining the intricacies of the deck and the purpose of its many cards.

With 133 cards, there is certainly some strangeness to the deck. 9 Deaths, 2 Devils, 2 Suns, a Tower series of 3 cards (the Tower, the House of God, and the Horizon), and non-traditional cards such as the 3 of Books, the Fountain, and others. Each was chosen by the Alleyman because they bring in important new angles to your readings.

The deck is 133 cards in a standard tarot size, 2.75"x4.75". Cards have their unique, original cardbacks, and some have foil, or edge gilding, or both, and in different colors.

quote:

The Book
The book itself is has been made to feel like it's a notebook, one that the Alleyman has used and stained and filled out himself, and will be 5"x8" with a full color interior and a spiral binding. The table of contents at the front will help you find your cards faster, and the notes and extra reading spreads in the back from the Alleyman will help you make particular use of this very unique deck.

The normal tier is $45, but it has a $40 cheaper option if you financially need it, and there's also a cool $100 option:

quote:

I will sign your book and box as the Alleyman, and doodle on, mess up, maybe burn, and otherwise help bring some of the grime of life to your deck. I always wanted to cut a hole in The Hole card.... This will be a totally unique, stained, loved, and held deck.

The $100 tier was originally limited to 10 copies since they didn't think there would be much demand, then raised to 30, then 50, and now 100 as of a few minutes ago (with 37 left at the time of this post and going quick).
(edit): looks like that $100 tier is now all sold out

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 13, 2021

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Strongly considering pulling my John Company pledge. I like the idea of the game but the notion of teaching it is a daunting one, as is the notion of finding a group that wants to play it often enough to really make it shine. I want to support Cole's work but I haven't even gotten Pamir 2 to the table.

The video teaches have seemed labyrinthine. Has anyone seen a good playthrough of John that makes it seem fun enough to get past the above reservations? I just dumped a ton of money into Hexplore it for solo/wife co-op so I'm looking to cut KS costs where a game is a maybe rather than definitely yes. It's a beautiful game and I'm *trying* to talk myself into it but I need a little more to get there.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Memnaelar posted:

Strongly considering pulling my John Company pledge. I like the idea of the game but the notion of teaching it is a daunting one, as is the notion of finding a group that wants to play it often enough to really make it shine. I want to support Cole's work but I haven't even gotten Pamir 2 to the table.

The video teaches have seemed labyrinthine. Has anyone seen a good playthrough of John that makes it seem fun enough to get past the above reservations? I just dumped a ton of money into Hexplore it for solo/wife co-op so I'm looking to cut KS costs where a game is a maybe rather than definitely yes. It's a beautiful game and I'm *trying* to talk myself into it but I need a little more to get there.

Have you looked at Ricky Royal's demo of the solo mode? Not that you'd be buying the game for the solo mode, but watching him play a few turns with just him versus the AI, I felt like I got a better feel for the flow of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c9NJ-DRI2o

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Memnaelar posted:

I haven't backed JoCo2 yet for similar reasons. I also assume that it will get another Kickstarter reprint or something similar to the PaxPam rerun not too far down the line, maybe coinciding with An Infamous Traffic so I can complete the set of things go down a storm.

I'm a big fan of Cole's work but with the pandemic I need to get more play time out of Root and to get some plays of Pax Pamir in before I commit to more games like it.

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!
WOMEN OF WW2: SOVIET RUSSIA
BY BAD SQUIDDO GAMES

It ends TOMORROW! EEP! 8pm BST

Instead of pasting all the things, I'll link
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/badsquiddogames/women-of-ww2-soviet-russia-28mm-miniatures

Unlocks have been:
Winter Tank Riders Pack A
Winter Tank Riders Pack B
Winter Tank Command
Winter Tank Hunters
Dzhulbars the Mine Hunting German Shepherd with handler
Kneeling Sniper Team in snow suits
Lyudmila Pavlichenko
Anti Tank Rifle Team
Traffic Controllers
Winter Advancing Command
Dancers (soon to be unlocked!)

Amazing!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

slap me and kiss me posted:

Thanks, friends! Please do let me know when they arrive so I can stop fretting.

I got mine today, and I will do my best to live up to the Abomancer title you bestowed upon me.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I wanna back that HEXPlore It thing real bad but not sure which one to start off with - can I ask for advice here or is there a Hexplore It thread somewhere I missed? If I like the idea of sandboxy adventure in the system more than guided, and I don't mind the added complexity, is Sands a decent place to hop on? Lotta people said it was really overwhelming but the themes for Forest and the original don't grab me, and the Vampires are cool but a year+ out.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I wanna back that HEXPlore It thing real bad but not sure which one to start off with - can I ask for advice here or is there a Hexplore It thread somewhere I missed? If I like the idea of sandboxy adventure in the system more than guided, and I don't mind the added complexity, is Sands a decent place to hop on? Lotta people said it was really overwhelming but the themes for Forest and the original don't grab me, and the Vampires are cool but a year+ out.

There's no HEXplore It thread but I've been deep-diving the last week and Malkav11 has been into the game a lot longer. Vampires is definitely, imo, going to be the most refined, most interesting box, but like you say, a year out. Initially I was looking at which to grab. Sands seems like the kitchen sink box and is by far the most complex, so it might feel a bit much for starters. Most folks I've read have said that Forest is a big refinement on the first game and watching the playthroughs, yeah, the objectives in that one are way cooler than the "kite the lich" gameplay of Game 1. I love the Dark Sun theme of Sands but you might want to watch a playthrough at Rob's Gaming Table or some other Youtube site to see if it makes your eyes glaze over.

For its faults, the first box DOES have by far the most PC content so if you're going to potentially get two boxes, it's good as both training wheels and also carrying all those PC races and classes over to other sets.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I definitely think Valley's the least interesting, but I can't really comment on Sands of Shurax beyond being excited to someday get to play it. I have it, it's on my shelf, I've unboxed it and everything...but I don't really play stuff solo much, it hit after COVID killed my RL gaming gatherings, and there's currently no TTS mod (and apparently, they're not cool with one, so I'm pretty close to finishing a mod for my use but it won't be going up on the workshop).

Keep in mind that availability of previous volumes outside the reprint they're doing is pretty limited so I think even for the "early ship" ones they've got limited copies of you end up waiting a few months ish? And reprint copies are coming with Domains. So if you're not cool waiting I'd try and find a retail copy in the wild, snag an early ship addon ASAP to lock it in if you can't.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

malkav11 posted:

I definitely think Valley's the least interesting, but I can't really comment on Sands of Shurax beyond being excited to someday get to play it. I have it, it's on my shelf, I've unboxed it and everything...but I don't really play stuff solo much, it hit after COVID killed my RL gaming gatherings, and there's currently no TTS mod (and apparently, they're not cool with one, so I'm pretty close to finishing a mod for my use but it won't be going up on the workshop).

Keep in mind that availability of previous volumes outside the reprint they're doing is pretty limited so I think even for the "early ship" ones they've got limited copies of you end up waiting a few months ish? And reprint copies are coming with Domains. So if you're not cool waiting I'd try and find a retail copy in the wild, snag an early ship addon ASAP to lock it in if you can't.

Yeah, I ended up selling myself on the all-in, early ship for the first three volumes. There's something about overly complicated labor of love fantasy heartbreakers that gets me right in the grobbles.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Memnaelar posted:

There's no HEXplore It thread but I've been deep-diving the last week and Malkav11 has been into the game a lot longer. Vampires is definitely, imo, going to be the most refined, most interesting box, but like you say, a year out. Initially I was looking at which to grab. Sands seems like the kitchen sink box and is by far the most complex, so it might feel a bit much for starters. Most folks I've read have said that Forest is a big refinement on the first game and watching the playthroughs, yeah, the objectives in that one are way cooler than the "kite the lich" gameplay of Game 1. I love the Dark Sun theme of Sands but you might want to watch a playthrough at Rob's Gaming Table or some other Youtube site to see if it makes your eyes glaze over.

For its faults, the first box DOES have by far the most PC content so if you're going to potentially get two boxes, it's good as both training wheels and also carrying all those PC races and classes over to other sets.

I read a few threads on BGG and found myself in a rough spot where having a lot of sandboxy open world adventure with a ton of random systems sounds at once really fun, and really irritating, but the theme is by far my fave for them, the classes seem like fun, and I like the idea of assailing four big monsters as a goal.

My current idea is to grab the sands one and see if I like it, and if I do but find it way too complicated, try and sell Sands to pay for a copy of the Vampire one from a third party or something.

malkav11 posted:

I just grabbed one of the Early Ship addons for Sands before posting, then had like second and third thoughts about it 😅

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Both Sands and Forest are available at pretty close to the direct price right now, at least in the US. I haven't seen Valley for under $100 in a couple of weeks, so I suspect it'll probably be mostly be out of stock until August. Once August hits they should all be available in retail for a while, usually a bit under the crowdfunding price if you shop around.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

Memnaelar posted:

I've only played John Company once because I bought the drat thing immediately before lockdown, but I'd say it's considerably easier to teach than it looks. The tracks make it very clear how everything progresses so at least the structure of the game is easily communicated just by looking at the board. And much of the game kind of plays itself.

A lot of the time people don't get to really change what the company is doing, then suddenly you get a really massive decision point over something that had seemed innocuous the turn before. It's a strange game. But yes, it seems quite niche. I have a gaming group on hand who I know will love it.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Stickman posted:

Both Sands and Forest are available at pretty close to the direct price right now, at least in the US. I haven't seen Valley for under $100 in a couple of weeks, so I suspect it'll probably be mostly be out of stock until August. Once August hits they should all be available in retail for a while, usually a bit under the crowdfunding price if you shop around.

The only downside to buying from Amazon (or other retailers) is that while the core boxes are close to what you'd pay on the KS, the expansions are overpriced and when you add in the living card decks, you're suddenly paying way more than you would in the Gamefound. The bundles there are especially good deals.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Yeah, Amazon doesn't have great expansion stock right now but the expansions should be pretty cheap from other retailers (and probably Amazon) when there's stock in August. I know Miniature Market carries them for $35.

The Forest expansion doesn't seem to have good prices anywhere right now but the core is decent on Amazon. Sands is ~$132 for Core+Expansion+Living cards with free shipping at Atomic Empire, which is only $12 over the crowdfunding price. We're definitely at the tail end of stock, but I figure it's still close enough people might want to consider trying a box instead of waiting for August!

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Anyone getting Mythic Battles Ragnarok? I have zero MBP so i'm undecided. The amount of unpainted plastic is really starting to pile up

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

OrthoTrot posted:

I've only played John Company once because I bought the drat thing immediately before lockdown, but I'd say it's considerably easier to teach than it looks. The tracks make it very clear how everything progresses so at least the structure of the game is easily communicated just by looking at the board. And much of the game kind of plays itself.

A lot of the time people don't get to really change what the company is doing, then suddenly you get a really massive decision point over something that had seemed innocuous the turn before. It's a strange game. But yes, it seems quite niche. I have a gaming group on hand who I know will love it.

I've played twice (well three times but the first was a disaster due to lack of preparedness on my part) and this has been my experience too.

The first edition never really tells you that the game isn't in trying to control what the company does, so if you got into it with that as a goal it's going to be super frustrating. The actual goal is to grasp and claw for all the money you can while manoeuvring your army of failsons up the corporate ladder, all while the company performs its role as a giant Unintended Consequence generator.

The second edition kickstarter is way more up front about the mechanical and thematic purpose of the game which leads me to believe that it's going to be much more accessible. The impression I got from the first edition was that you were meant to discover that it's satire as you play, which is a neat idea but not one that works in the context of a game group that has the option of playing any number of less obtuse games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Stickman posted:

Yeah, Amazon doesn't have great expansion stock right now but the expansions should be pretty cheap from other retailers (and probably Amazon) when there's stock in August. I know Miniature Market carries them for $35.

The Forest expansion doesn't seem to have good prices anywhere right now but the core is decent on Amazon. Sands is ~$132 for Core+Expansion+Living cards with free shipping at Atomic Empire, which is only $12 over the crowdfunding price. We're definitely at the tail end of stock, but I figure it's still close enough people might want to consider trying a box instead of waiting for August!

Cheers for this. Went ahead and grabbed Sands+the expansion stuff from Cardhaus based on this. Looking forward to giving it a try and poo poo, might even get to get a feel for it before the crowdfunder wraps for this one.