Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Today I have left corporate and moved into central government. I have just collected my laptop and seen that I have 73 emails. I started this job 55 minutes ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fil5000 posted:

Today I have left corporate and moved into central government. I have just collected my laptop and seen that I have 73 emails. I started this job 55 minutes ago.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Passed the PMP. That is a long loving exam.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Forgive me, corporate thread, for I have sinned

After being middle-man'd between our information security department and our Japan cloud team, and having it be on-and-off low-level "Japan team, please do this" and Japan doing nothing for a month, then replying with "we need to do X to do these, please advise" and me going back the next day, repeat the months on and off, I asked for help in the form of some kind of project management.

Me, Friday: "Japan wants to do X that needs their cloud management to make a decision. They either give us access or take whatever steps are needed on their end to set themselves up to follow these instructions. I have no access, they won't give us access, their senior management wants to keep it separate. I can't be the one to wrangle VPs across two continents while being fully committed for the rest of the quarter."

Infosec: "OK, we'll have an internal discussion about it and let you know"

This AM: my VP, who is the worst combination of type A and detail-oriented, schedules a 30 minute call with me, my engineer co-worker, and an optional guy from an uninvolved cloud operations team.

Same VP, last week, made a point that he didn't understand where our cloud team, the cloud identity team, and the identity team had responsibilities begin/end. We'd documented this and given it to him. We'd gone over the documents in a call with him. I literally did a nice big shiny visual aid with icons and circles and literal bright lines dividing things.

We've only had an actual boss between us and the VP for one out of the last 5 months. I miss not being exposed to constant doses of reductive self-importance.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Vasudus posted:

I use an MDM app to get my outlook/webex/timesheet app functional. It doesn't let them do anything outside of the sandbox. It's fine.

Now full MDM stuff on your personal phone I wouldn't do.

Curious, do you know the platform they chose? I'm being migrated to Entune this week and believe it won't be an issue, but it'd be good to get at least one data point outside my company.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Jordan7hm posted:

Passed the PMP. That is a long loving exam.

congrats. What'd you think of the test?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

mllaneza posted:

You missed the halcyon days of exactly eight character passwords. HP Unix had an upper limit of 8, and Active Directory had a lower limit of 8. Also, that's why it's called a UnixID.

Amazing.

(Though serious suggestion to nobody in particular: The "change your password" prompt should probably give you a max character count lower than the max of SAP or tell you that you can't use certain characters that SAP disallows. I hit both of those in recent years.)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Fil5000 posted:

That's it?

Pathetic.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

We are merging our Google accounts with our new owners, which necessitates having to re-login to every system. But first, we must set new passwords. Each password must be fifteen characters. WTF.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Omne posted:

We are merging our Google accounts with our new owners, which necessitates having to re-login to every system. But first, we must set new passwords. Each password must be fifteen characters. WTF.

Time to think of some pass phrases.

"The quick fox jumps over 1 lazy brown dog."

Boom, caps, numbers, punctuation. (Do not use this example)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Omne posted:

My employer changed it to 14 a few years ago and didn't tell anyone. The problem was that my password needed to be changed before they announced it, so I got the message to change my password, only to get it rejected and essentially locking out my account for a couple hours until IT arrived, and informed me it went from 8 to 14.

Considering that I have like 4 passwords with varying schedules for reset ranging from 6 to 12 weeks apart, I just have a system for generating them. So next time I need a new password, it's just the next one in the sequence.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

So next time I need a new password, it's just the next one in the sequence.

Very much the same, excluding processing equipment on the manufacturing floor. Our equipment largely isn't networked, which is good because user accounts on some of them are limited to 6 digit passcodes.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Fil5000 posted:

Tfw you have to define your outlook filter rules for the first time in years.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

There are only two types of company-wide emails from the president/CEO:

"Oh god, my life is hosed now" and "I could not care less about this pointless statement"

Every time I see one, I am braced for the worst news because the subject is always something vague and unhelpful like "An update from Bort" and when it turns out to be news that has absolutely no impact on my life, instead of relief I just feel so incredibly angry about my time and emotions being wasted.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hey thread, what advice do you have for someone whose senior co-worker quits, leaving you as the sole person who really knows the infrastructure of a cloud platform for a giant global company?

Bonus points: no manager between this someone and their VP

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

MJP posted:

Hey thread, what advice do you have for someone whose senior co-worker quits, leaving you as the sole person who really knows the infrastructure of a cloud platform for a giant global company?

I would start with documentation. Assuming you can get headcount to replace them, documentation will accelerate getting them up to speed.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My SSO requires frequent password changes but the “none of your last 5 passwords can be used” setting is turned off. So I’m just switching between Pen1s and P3nis, except it’s more workplace appropriate.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

MJP posted:

get a new job and make these cats pay your consulting rate to survive

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Iron Rose posted:

get a new job and make these cats pay your consulting rate to survive

Double bonus points: the comp package is pretty good and I wanna ride out the ESPP + its 3-month lookback + 15% discount as long as I can.
(Also generate resume stability)
(Also I am nowhere near skilled good enough to be a consultant)

Thomamelas posted:

I would start with documentation. Assuming you can get headcount to replace them, documentation will accelerate getting them up to speed.

My cynicism says the VP would be happy to not backfill and just leave me to caretake the environment. Which, TBH, is not a bad thing as long as it allows me time to slowly skill up for the future. Or at least be able to foist off the hardcore scripting on someone else.

The VP says he'd be totally OK with having Cloud Vendor sell us minimum three months of 100% dedicated consultant, and everything we did with my senior co-worker exists in Jira and Bitbucket. It'll make the documenting a little more doable.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

MJP posted:

(Also I am nowhere near skilled good enough to be a consultant)

Eject this notion from your mind immediately

Consulting is 90% farce and this amount of self-awareness puts you solidly in the top quartile

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Not a Children posted:

Consulting is 90% farce and this amount of self-awareness puts you solidly in the top quartile

I need the nice stable chunk in my resume and most of the consultant hiring here is for companies that start with A and rhyme with Bad Center. Maybe for my next move, but for now my 5-year plan is to stick it out unless things turn objectively lovely.

Bankers' hours, WFH from March 2020 onwards and confirmed for the future, and decent salary + comp package means a lot. It isn't perfect but it's on the positive side of tolerable, and that 5-year plan is 1.5 years done and not a suicide pact. It's a gigantic soulless megacorp, but it's been decent now that I've finally started to get how to survive within it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Democratic Pirate posted:

My SSO requires frequent password changes but the “none of your last 5 passwords can be used” setting is turned off. So I’m just switching between Pen1s and P3nis, except it’s more workplace appropriate.

Between Pen1s and V4gina for gender parity?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Curious, do you know the platform they chose? I'm being migrated to Entune this week and believe it won't be an issue, but it'd be good to get at least one data point outside my company.

I think it's the Microsoft Authenticator. All I had to do was type some special URL to get it rolling, and every time my password changes I need to authenticate it again so my apps start working.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Democratic Pirate posted:

This is why "change your password every 90 days" type rules are really bad for security.

Say I'm an attacker and I breach your systems. I manage to break your password hashes, or log some traffic, or otherwise learn that your password is "Pen1s" and your coworker's is "SuperSecret7". Your IT team detects the breach, kicks me out of the system, and sends out an emergency notification that all users must change their password at next login. No worries - you just do what you always do on enforced password changes. You log in and switch to "P3nis" and your coworker updates theirs to "SuperSecret8". Now it's trivial for me to guess your "new" password and get right back in.

Learning modern security best practices is terrifying, because you start seeing just how seriously a lot of very critical, high-value places take this stuff (two word hint: "cost center").

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Not a Children posted:

If you have a solid corporate background then you are prepared for consulting. You'll put together a proposal with a list of ideas. They will be ignored unless they feed the pet theories of the higher ups listening. Then you implement the ideas they liked. The higher ups will move on/get fired/go to rehab and feature and scope creep will gently caress up the project and eventually you declare it's done. It may not actually be done but the declaration says other wise. Honestly it's a lot like being a regular cubical employee but the meetings generally have better baked goods. The biggest difference is HR tends to fight you less about cutting checks for work they owe you.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Today, our CEO sent out an e-mail thanking everyone for their hard work and here, have another paid vacation day plus another relaxing-work day.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Vasudus posted:

I think it's the Microsoft Authenticator. All I had to do was type some special URL to get it rolling, and every time my password changes I need to authenticate it again so my apps start working.

Ah, that's what we have now. Apparently we're moving to a more sandboxed product. Which in principle I like, you take this corner here and if something goes wrong, nuke it. But it's still more control than I like on my personal device.

Thanks!

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

MJP posted:

I called my manager last week to put in my two weeks, he told me he was also putting in his two weeks that day.

That makes 2/3 sysadmins leaving the company, with only the Jr remaining after.

Gonna be a lot of meetings and documentation this week.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Sundae posted:

Today, our CEO sent out an e-mail thanking everyone for their hard work and here, have another paid vacation day plus another relaxing-work day.

The most recent one we got was "thank you for all the hard work but oops our other region completely hosed up and just lost loads of money so consider this the ground work for me loving all your end of year pay over, thanks! Keep it up! "

CEO emails are probably the second biggest eye roll after head of HR emails telling me that "we understand remote working can be difficult so please ensure you take breaks during the day" which is just loving laughable when we keep adding more and more "senior management initiatives" that require another 5 steering group meetings a week.

Edit: "this is a 3 month sprint to kick start the alignment between areas in the data strategy, the consultant team will be in touch with you and we are conscious of your time and that you have day jobs" *immediately fills every 30min gap in my calendar for the rest of the week with calls*

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Thomamelas posted:

If you have a solid corporate background then you are prepared for consulting. You'll put together a proposal with a list of ideas. They will be ignored unless they feed the pet theories of the higher ups listening. Then you implement the ideas they liked. The higher ups will move on/get fired/go to rehab and feature and scope creep will gently caress up the project and eventually you declare it's done. It may not actually be done but the declaration says other wise. Honestly it's a lot like being a regular cubical employee but the meetings generally have better baked goods. The biggest difference is HR tends to fight you less about cutting checks for work they owe you.

definitely correct until the last sentence. it's a lot easier to collect a paycheck from HR than deal with most companies' purchasing and AP

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My brain, 22 hours after I find out the senior co-worker was leaving

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Sundae posted:

Very much the same, excluding processing equipment on the manufacturing floor. Our equipment largely isn't networked, which is good because user accounts on some of them are limited to 6 digit passcodes.

Our equipment is physically networked, and the equipment vendor can login from around the world, yet we can’t log in to it remotely because “reasons”.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Surprised no one has said it yet, as a recent again project manager

An underestimation of project managers

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

A bottleneck of project managers

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Tnuctip posted:

Surprised no one has said it yet, as a recent again project manager

An underestimation of project managers

Ahem:

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Accurate. Or maybe an "underestimate".

To be fair I wouldn't expect a PM to read the previous notes either.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Ahem:

To be fair I wouldn't expect a PM to read the previous notes either.

It was the previous PMs fault for poor documentation.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

definitely correct until the last sentence. it's a lot easier to collect a paycheck from HR than deal with most companies' purchasing and AP

I thought that's what I said, but HR cuts checks much faster.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Thomamelas posted:

I thought that's what I said, but HR cuts checks much faster.

yeah you totally did, brain no work good

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah you totally did, brain no work good

I was stoned when I wrote it so I was legitimately concerned I hosed it up. It probably could have been written more concisely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Tnuctip posted:

Our equipment is physically networked, and the equipment vendor can login from around the world, yet we can’t log in to it remotely because “reasons”.

:smithcloud:

Enjoy your machinery just randomly getting hosed by some idiot who guess the extremely difficult password of <manufacturer> over vnc.