Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

zoux posted:

Can we at least all agree that recumbent bicyclists are all weridos

Yea, but they're cool weirdos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

imagine walking. this post made by flesh fused to my computer chair gang

Just lol if you don't have Enrique and Phillipe carrying you around on a sedan chair

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I'm constantly drunk so I figured why not bike to work but it turns out you can get a DUII that way too so I figured why not drive to work, it's faster and I won't spill my beer.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

imagine walking. this post made by flesh fused to my computer chair gang

imagine. this post brought to you by René Descartes Gang

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

PittTheElder posted:

Bikes are road vehicles too,

Then why don't cyclists think they should have to obey stop signs or traffic signals?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

This meme would be actually good if the picture was a Subaru BRAT

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

zoux posted:

I've literally never seen a recumbent bicycle stopped anywhere; they're always moving. I'm convinced that this is their curse - once you get on one and start riding, you are perpetually bound to it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Then why don't cyclists think they should have to obey stop signs or traffic signals?

For the same reasons cars run stop signs and traffic signals all the time probably.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

CainFortea posted:

That's a Fluke.
No, they’re pretty common.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

For the same reasons cars run stop signs and traffic signals all the time probably.

Tbf cars don’t generally willfully run them.

I live near a busy intersection where bikes constantly run the stop sign and it’s incredibly dangerous. I’ve had a few near misses because they just come flying down the hill.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah this is a YMMW situation, but what I usually see is cyclists slowing down but not stopping entirely at stop signs, changing lanes mid-intersection, and not stopping when doing right-on-red, and car drivers do all the same poo poo.

Bikes flying through a stop sign at high speed sure is a thing

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

No it's different. Cars run stop signs and traffic signals because drivers are lovely and/or lazy. They understand when they get pulled over that they made a decision and it has consequences. Cyclists argue that the very nature of their mode of transportation means that they don't have to abide by stop signs and traffic signals. But they still expect to be treated on an equal footing as other vehicles in every area that doesn't slightly inconvenience them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

I've literally never seen a recumbent bicycle stopped anywhere; they're always moving. I'm convinced that this is their curse - once you get on one and start riding, you are perpetually bound to it.

One must imagine recumbent bicycle man happy

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

zoux posted:

ACAB https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkZDzRT0nJQ

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Mister Speaker posted:

There is a mentally handicapped/challenged person in our nearby town who just cycles around in his recumbent all day, smiling, and that's just real nice to see someone enjoying life you know.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

No it's different. Cars run stop signs and traffic signals because drivers are lovely and/or lazy. They understand when they get pulled over that they made a decision and it has consequences. Cyclists argue that the very nature of their mode of transportation means that they don't have to abide by stop signs and traffic signals. But they still expect to be treated on an equal footing as other vehicles in every area that doesn't slightly inconvenience them.

Your step-dad rides bikes, huh?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I've had cyclists menace me both as a driver and as a pedestrian.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Post meme

Only registered members can see post attachments!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
http://justchips.uk/

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

*nods in measurehead*

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

90s Cringe Rock posted:

There's a place near me that literally just does chips, but they advertise it as Belgian or something, and they're Greek immigrants. I think they're open again now, I should get some of their exciting fusion food, like a cone of chips with mayo and peanut sauce.

There seem to be “Belgian” and “Dutch” chip-only places popping up all over the place. Usually with a massive ‘Vegan friendly’ sign somewhere because it’s just potatoes and vegetable oil, so duh.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

History Comes Inside! posted:

There seem to be “Belgian” and “Dutch” chip-only places popping up all over the place. Usually with a massive ‘Vegan friendly’ sign somewhere because it’s just potatoes and vegetable oil, so duh.
Turns out it's Dutch and I made up the Greek thing.

http://justchips.uk/

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anecdotal but this is horseshit, there's someone near me who owns a very well taken care of Ford Tempo and I'm always delighted to see it at the grocery store

It's like the Velveteen Rabbit of commuter cars. Absolutely zero intrinsic value except that someone loved it enough to keep it.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

can't wait to see people unironically driving vintage pt cruisers

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dungeon Ecology posted:

can't wait to see people unironically driving vintage pt cruisers

How are they still on the road? They've haven't made any in like 13 years

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Phy posted:

Anecdotal but this is horseshit, there's someone near me who owns a very well taken care of Ford Tempo and I'm always delighted to see it at the grocery store

It's like the Velveteen Rabbit of commuter cars. Absolutely zero intrinsic value except that someone loved it enough to keep it.

Here in Sweden there's an enormous subculture based around classic American cars and 50-60's youth culture.

Every Saturday they drive up and down Stockholm's equivalent of the main drag. Half of them are driving the 70 year old American equivalent of a 2003 Kia, that they've restored at ridiculous cost. Like the kind of thing you have pictures of your parents' families driving to Yellowstone in.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

Guy at work has a Pontiac torrent he's kept in immaculate shape.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

History Comes Inside! posted:

It's not proper frites without copious amounts mayo, I'm sorry. Those vegans are in for a big surprise.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Groda posted:

Here in Sweden there's an enormous subculture based around classic American cars and 50-60's youth culture.

Every Saturday they drive up and down Stockholm's equivalent of the main drag. Half of them are driving the 70 year old American equivalent of a 2003 Kia, that they've restored at ridiculous cost. Like the kind of thing you have pictures of your parents' families driving to Yellowstone in.

How many switchblade knife injuries does one see in a typical greaser weekend

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

zoux posted:

How many switchblade knife injuries does one see in a typical greaser weekend

I think they meant like Country Squires, so the injuries would be more in line with "damaged larynx while screaming at kids to stop screwing around back there".

Thanks to my own white trash upbringing, traveling to Yellowstone is forever tied to the trauma caused by driving there- no hotels, only rest stops- from Illinois in an busted 85 Camaro that smells like Cherry Twizzlers, has no air conditioning, and no room to move because the cabin's packed with camping supplies. It's why I've dedicated my adult life to inventing some kind of evil ray that, when fired, will cause the caldera to erupt, forever ending family trips to Yellowstone.

I'll offer the nations of North America a chance to sway me with vast sums of money, as it is de rigueur in these scenarios, but I'm going to fire the ray anyway.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CPColin posted:

I use a clothespin to keep my pant leg out of the gears and somebody called out to me once that I had a clothespin on my pants and when I said I knew said, "Oh, I thought you were playing the Clothespin Game and somebody got you." and their friends started like "wtf are you talking about" as I rode off.

I can't believe that's the point where you rode off. There is not a power on earth that would have stopped me staying for the rest of that conversation

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

This post is very funny and I laughed a lot at it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

mysterious frankie posted:

It's why I've dedicated my adult life to inventing some kind of evil ray that, when fired, will cause the caldera to erupt, forever ending family trips to Yellowstone.

I'll offer the nations of North America a chance to sway me with vast sums of money, as it is de rigueur in these scenarios, but I'm going to fire the ray anyway.

As an Australian geologist you should absolutely do this, because a) I'll probably be fine after it explodes and b) studying what happens after it pops off will be fascinating.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
Clothespin game sounds pretty self explanatory and dull. Self adhesive instant photos game is the real poo poo

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

some plague rats posted:

I can't believe that's the point where you rode off. There is not a power on earth that would have stopped me staying for the rest of that conversation

The light turned green and I had to obey the traffic laws v:shobon:v

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

My only bike story is one time I was stuck behind a dude powering up a hill that I wouldn't even want to walk all the way up, and wasn't even mad because motherfucker was going so hard. I wanted to clap when he got to the top.

That man? Albert Einstein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I've seen a bike once. A majestic creature, but I can't but feel bad about what people do with them.