Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

hbag posted:

decided to short 1INCH
if it goes down to the price i want, im going to make $27.4
if it goes up instead, i've got a stop loss set up so i only lose $5.27

i literally do not see a downside to this someone help im turning into a dickhead

invest in clownpeniscoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

hbag posted:

decided to short 1INCH
if it goes down to the price i want, im going to make $27.4
if it goes up instead, i've got a stop loss set up so i only lose $5.27

i literally do not see a downside to this someone help im turning into a dickhead

Stop loss only works if someone is buying the contract at that price though, right? If whatever "inch" is goes up too quickly you might not be able to sell at that price

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Do you pay a fee to hodl the short? Stocks and futures have short fees, but maybe cryptocurrency is different.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 12, 2021

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Jose Valasquez posted:

Stop loss only works if someone is buying the contract at that price though, right? If whatever "inch" is goes up too quickly you might not be able to sell at that price

true

Hello Sailor posted:

Do you pay a fee to hodl the short? Stocks and futures have short fees, but maybe cryptocurrency is different.

the "loan" does have interest yeah but its not too bad

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire
Sounds like a good way to go "guh"...

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you lose money on short positions you can simply buy bitcoins to make your money back.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Remember that these things usually aren't incorporated as banks or currency exchanges but as regulation dodging tech companies

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Warthog posted:

I'm confused - are you saying that buying crypto is like speculating on the stock market or trading foreign currencies?

The major difference is that, in theory, a company on the stock market is creating some sort of value in the world and that value will at least temporarily survive its collapse. If a gym closes up shop, that gym's buildings are still full of the machines that the gym purchased in order to provide the service it provided. It probably renovated some spaces, installed lighting and fire suppression, put in some lockers. It created an actual place of actual value in the actual world, and putting money into that gym gave it more capacity to provide more value.

Putting money into Bitcoin is helping to do nothing but damage the environment - one calculation I saw put the tally at 270 pounds of coal burnt per transaction on the Bitcoin ledger - and waste staggering amounts of resources, and the service being provided is the ability to put that money into Bitcoin. Remember that in order to get money out of Bitcoin, someone else needs to put money into Bitcoin. If Bitcoin collapses there will be nothing left but that environmental damage.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

in this case the stop would require someone to sell at that price, because if you're shorting, you have to buy to close your position. slippage is a thing--it's the difference between the price you wanted and the price your order actually fills at. depends on the liquidity and spread of whatever is being traded, and your position size relative to the available liquidity

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

I’m shorting bitcoin with 22 million butts.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's too many butts!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It occurred to me today that one of the scams that crypto most closely resembles are old perpetual motion machine scams. The believers/scammers tell people it is a currency/investment of increasing value, when in reality it is a house of cards being held up by continual infusions of money from outside sources.

This guy strikes me as kind of an archetypal cryptobro:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Redheffer

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

catspleen posted:

I’m shorting bitcoin with 22 million butts.
Good god sir, that is just one too many

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Irish law prohibits owning more than 239 butts.

Add one more and it'd be too farty!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

:dadjoke:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

spankmeister posted:

lamo

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

spankmeister posted:

lmbo

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

The New York Stock Exchange has released a series of NFTs
https://twitter.com/NYSE/status/1381663467082543110?s=20
Instead of buying Roblox stock you can buy the Roblox stock memorial NFT

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

The New York Stock Exchange has released a series of NFTs
https://twitter.com/NYSE/status/1381663467082543110?s=20
Instead of buying Roblox stock you can buy the Roblox stock memorial NFT

I see you , and raise you...

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/04/ataris-corporate-zombie-raises-110000-overnight-from-centipede-nfts/

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rectal Death Deft posted:

has anyone said buttcoin yet

hindertoken

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

jokes posted:

Bitcoin will always, zero exception, have someone left holding a bag one day. You hope it’s rich people who can bear the loss, but probably not. It is a zero-sum (negative sum if considering the environmental toll) game because bitcoins, the actual “asset” of a Bitcoin, is 100% useless in all regards except as a storage of value.

Quite often it's many someones holding a single bag. And sometimes, even despite there being thousands of losers, the winner also loses. Bitcoin Savings & Trust held nearly a million btc at one point, nearly everyone into bitcoin at the time got stung by it, and yet the man behind it all was a loser too

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire

Somfin posted:

The major difference is that, in theory, a company on the stock market is creating some sort of value in the world and that value will at least temporarily survive its collapse. If a gym closes up shop, that gym's buildings are still full of the machines that the gym purchased in order to provide the service it provided. It probably renovated some spaces, installed lighting and fire suppression, put in some lockers. It created an actual place of actual value in the actual world, and putting money into that gym gave it more capacity to provide more value.

Putting money into Bitcoin is helping to do nothing but damage the environment - one calculation I saw put the tally at 270 pounds of coal burnt per transaction on the Bitcoin ledger - and waste staggering amounts of resources, and the service being provided is the ability to put that money into Bitcoin. Remember that in order to get money out of Bitcoin, someone else needs to put money into Bitcoin. If Bitcoin collapses there will be nothing left but that environmental damage.

Oh I think I understand - investing in bitcoin is like investing in a hedge fund or a bank or something that only exists virtually like an internet search engine...

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Warthog posted:

Oh I think I understand - investing in bitcoin is like investing in a hedge fund or a bank or something that only exists virtually like an internet search engine...

Investing in bitcoin is like buying the right to move a number in a distributed database, and hoping someone will buy that right from you for more than what you paid for it.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Warthog posted:

This would be a good analogy if all you could do with a hedge fund or a bank or an internet search engine was put money into them

Unfortunately a hedge fund, a bank, and an internet search engine all provide services which means they, like goods producers, generate value in excess of the literal money that is put into them, and most of them don't burn 270 pounds of coal per transfer to do so!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Warthog posted:

No, it's like that movie where Bill Murray repeats the same day over and over again (Ghostbusters: Afterlife), except it's a person trolling the thread by continually making bad analogies.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hello Sailor posted:

No, it's like that movie where Bill Murray repeats the same day over and over again (Ghostbusters: Afterlife), except it's a person trolling the thread by continually making bad analogies.

That was Lost in Translation

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

That was Lost in Translation

??? I understood it just fine...

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

catspleen posted:

??? I understood it just fine...

No, you misunderstand. They're talking about the movie where Bill Murray lives the same day over and over again. You know... What About Bob.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

LanceHunter posted:

No, you misunderstand. They're talking about the movie where Bill Murray lives the same day over and over again. You know... What About Bob.

What about him?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

mojo1701a posted:

What about him?

Not much, what about him with you?

von Vicious
Apr 2, 2015

I'M A GINGER BABY WwwWWaaAaAhhH!!!
hahaha SA Fools Foxed Again: Bitcoin Hits NEw All Time High!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

this makes me want to non-actionable non-actionable satire satire all of silicon valley in the satire satire with chainsaws on both of my dicks, "as a joke"

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

this makes me want to non-actionable non-actionable satire satire all of silicon valley in the satire satire with chainsaws on both of my dicks, "as a joke"

Jfc. Instead of putting all this effort into trying to avoid getting probed for (satirically or not) promoting violence, you could just figure out a way to say you really dislike a thing without promoting violence. Or just not post.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

sorry you forgot to say "in minecraft" you'll be hearing from my lawyers

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

jokes posted:

You could make the argument that everything will be valueless one day, but it’s more likely and imminent that the value of a beanie baby will be near-zero than, like, a horse. Or a car. Bitcoins are just digital beanie babies. Or maybe that’s NFT?

Yeah, at least you can eat a horse or play with a beanie baby. You can't do much with a bitcoin besides hurt the environment because it was designed by greedy pieces of poo poo.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Hello Sailor posted:

Jfc. Instead of putting all this effort into trying to avoid getting probed for (satirically or not) promoting violence, you could just figure out a way to say you really dislike a thing without promoting violence. Or just not post.

on both dicks.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

the only crypto worth using is https://pegglecoin.org

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

More like poo poo coin :cool: