Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Mr Phillby posted:

Also when I played day one I got the holy mantle effect after touching the white fire but after the first patch dropped its gone which was fun to realise only after I tried to leave the curse room. I don't think I have the Lost unlocked yet on this save file. I only ever unlocked them on PS4, back when you had to do a bunch of nonsense dying to specific things as specific characters. These days its just dying in a sacrifice room with the missing note equipped right? And the mantle is a greed mode unlock right? I need to get that done I'm losing too many runs going for just one more pip of charge in the mirror world lol.

Yeah and you don't actually need to unlock Lost to get the mantle on him when you go through the mirror. I haven't done it on this file but I have unlocked the mantle start in greed mode, and he gets it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

ArfJason posted:

just did the beast. took me 4 hours. to put in perspective mother took me 3 days of solid grinding

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oof, don't take Haemolacria if you're planning on fighting the beast, it makes your shots come out at like a 70 degree angle.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I still don't know what to do against Hush in this update. Apparently I've killed it plenty of times before (I started out with Secret Exit unlocked) but I never played Afterbirth+, so I'm trying to unlock the Void. Hush's last phase just kills me dead nowadays in a way it didn't used to. The last phase has 'the tail end of his continuum bullets', 'the pile of adds with way too much health', 'the triple big red bullets' and 'the lasers I have to keep moving to stay away from' all combining into an unbeatable mess.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

So do we have to re-unlock godhead (and I guess mega blast) now that there are more completion marks?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The Moon Monster posted:

So do we have to re-unlock godhead (and I guess mega blast) now that there are more completion marks?

People have been saying they didn't have to, but you need hard mode completition on all characters for 2 new unlocks so you still have to do the new content (I'll be able to check once I buy repentance).

On that note, finally got the "Only pick up Keys" after lots of resets with the Lost, Quad Shot+Death Touch+Propagnosia+Succubus gave me all damage I wanted and Book of the Dead gave all protection I needed. The Victory Laps after that felt cathartic until I hit a Mimic and died for some reason :v: . Ah, well, I used the seed that made consumables dissapear in 7s just in case and it was annoying me.

I'd say all I have left is get to 4 Victory Laps and beat Mega Satan with all characters and then I'll buy Repentance and enjoy all the new stuff. Since every other unlock I have left is either completition or do X thing a number of times.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Beating Mega Satan with all characters *might* be easier in Repentance because Angel rooms spawn consistently now. I'm not sure if he was buffed between versions though.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

No Wave posted:

Beating Mega Satan with all characters *might* be easier in Repentance because Angel rooms spawn consistently now. I'm not sure if he was buffed between versions though.

I'm guessing you have to do it with at least some of the new Characters and Mega Satan only gives coop babies for individual unlocks so I'd prefer to preunlock Mega Blast.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

No Wave posted:

It feels like he might have gotten the boss armor mechanic. I've had some pretty busted runs where it still took quite awhile to kill him. But maybe the runs just weren't as busted as I thought, hard to say.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The Moon Monster posted:

It feels like he might have gotten the boss armor mechanic. I've had some pretty busted runs where it still took quite awhile to kill him. But maybe the runs just weren't as busted as I thought, hard to say.

Oh yeah, checking the wiki he has now armor around the level of Ultra Greed. Definitively taking him down with every character now (not sure if I want to suffer with Hard Mode though, it would mean less clears later but I obviously want Repentance sooner than later...)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Oh so the boss armor was new to repentance (I didn't play AB)? Yeah he's way harder now in that case. Is an actual boss.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Stelas posted:

I still don't know what to do against Hush in this update. Apparently I've killed it plenty of times before (I started out with Secret Exit unlocked) but I never played Afterbirth+, so I'm trying to unlock the Void. Hush's last phase just kills me dead nowadays in a way it didn't used to. The last phase has 'the tail end of his continuum bullets', 'the pile of adds with way too much health', 'the triple big red bullets' and 'the lasers I have to keep moving to stay away from' all combining into an unbeatable mess.

The increased speed I think has really made this fight borderline unplayable without a megarun. The shots were meant to be slow so you could see and weave through them and because he moves around the room so fast it seems to have less of an interval between his summons which means things quickly get out of hand. And those continuum shots........

Probably the biggest overall failing of Repentance is not getting Hush and Delirium reworked. With Hush they could maybe temporarily fix it by setting the speed back on that floor or something.

Annoyed they did manage to give Mega Satan boss armor though! Gah! Hate that mechanic. I knew he seemed to be taking a long time to beat.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'm still fairly new to hush and do need a decent build but not really a god run. Imo it's pretty manageable until the last quarter of his life bar where things can get out of hand (you have to know the "trick" for the purple bullets where each wave's bullets follow the same path so you can dodge the attack by finding a safespot and just standing there). Delirium was a great trick because it makes Hush look like a decent boss by comparison.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The last part is where it all goes wrong. I know the trick with the continuums but still somehow will manage to get hit by them.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The tear height on the fight is way too high. The purple bullets are so flashy but you have to look at their shadows. It's very hard to keep track of.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

No Wave posted:

(you have to know the "trick" for the purple bullets where each wave's bullets follow the same path so you can dodge the attack by finding a safespot and just standing there)

It did take me a while to remember that, and it makes the midportion of the fight a bit easier - except he now spawns a lot more waves of adds, which force you to move, and if your build is good enough to get to Hush it's pretty likely that you're going to get the final lasers at the same time as the previous continuum wave is still on the screen, which is just a nightmare.

I've definitely had runs where if I'd just been able to get some kind of healing pill I'd probably have gotten through fine, but man boss armor sucks and I'm really, really glad I took the time to get Godhead on a previous version of the game because laffo taking the Lost anywhere near him right now.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mega Satan really needed the armor. I got all the completion marks on AB+ and there was only one (exceptionally bad) run where I didn't just evaporate each of his phases instantly.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Mega Satan really needed the armor. I got all the completion marks on AB+ and there was only one (exceptionally bad) run where I didn't just evaporate each of his phases instantly.
I hated every implementation of boss armor until repentance, and I'll admit it actually works on him. Mostly because it's still a fairly easy/fair fight even with the armor, almost all of the difficulty is still in the add phases.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Counterpoint: let us evaporate him

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Counterpoint: let us evaporate him

Yeah, I used to fight him all the time because it was a fun capstone to good run. Now he's just another boss in the "only for the completion mark" pile. It doesn't just slow down broken runs (which seem a lot rarer now anyway), it also makes solid but reasonable runs take a lot longer to kill him. Seems like the backwards challenge will be even more of a crap shoot as well.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I did backasswards yesterday, by starting with a Stars card. So it's still doable, kind of...

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Thank you Clicker for the Ghost bombs, I can get another op Tainted Samson run anytime

I forgot how useful the clicker was for unlocking items with hard characters

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man whose loving idea was this drat Hot Potato challenge? What an absurdly unfun and annoying concept. And yet it ends all the way at Satan, while actually extremely fun and unique challenge Cantripped ends at Mom? Dammit, Edmund.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

The Moon Monster posted:

If you already had it, no. If you didnt, yes, you gotta get all the marks.

Kawalimus posted:

The increased speed I think has really made this fight borderline unplayable without a megarun. The shots were meant to be slow so you could see and weave through them and because he moves around the room so fast it seems to have less of an interval between his summons which means things quickly get out of hand. And those continuum shots........

Probably the biggest overall failing of Repentance is not getting Hush and Delirium reworked. With Hush they could maybe temporarily fix it by setting the speed back on that floor or something.

Annoyed they did manage to give Mega Satan boss armor though! Gah! Hate that mechanic. I knew he seemed to be taking a long time to beat.

Ths continuum shots HAVE been slowed down tremendously. They are like 50% slower now. What has changed is that he now switches between phases lightning fast so the attacks overlap where thry once didnt.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

ArfJason posted:

If you already had it, no. If you didnt, yes, you gotta get all the marks.

Ths continuum shots HAVE been slowed down tremendously. They are like 50% slower now. What has changed is that he now switches between phases lightning fast so the attacks overlap where thry once didnt.
They seem as fast or faster to my minds eye i guess, due to all the phases. I remember those being slow and easy

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the censer angel item. the one that makes a slow zone around you? seems better dunno if they made the zone bigger or the slow effect more dramatic

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Another synergy we just found right now: Meat Cleaver + anything that charges your active item like Nun's Habit. Car Battery causing the double chop makes even the hardest rooms trivial. Highly recommend

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The beast seems like he's going to be miserable with the lost, I'm not looking forward to it

Jacob and esau the beast though, l m a o

E: I also think they did something to delerium, I wasn't randomly deleting half his health bar last time I fought him so they might have fixed that, and if they did it's bad

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This game is loving wild, I tell ya.

I struggled to do the Mother fight for so long and I just beat her while only taking damage from the rush attacks because my speed was so low.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

the Tainted characters are cool in that a lot of them feel like "what if we gave each different character a genuinely unique and thematic mechanic" with ten years of experience to inform the designs

Tainted Keeper should have been the default this entire time

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Kawalimus posted:

They seem as fast or faster to my minds eye i guess, due to all the phases. I remember those being slow and easy

Nope.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

They're slower, but that means more of the screen is covered in bullets because they end up denser (if I'm watching the videos I'm using here for reference correctly). The loops also look smaller now? The continuum phase maybe is easier to dodge now still.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 13, 2021

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hush feels significantly harder now to me.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kawalimus posted:

Afaik a Delirium update was planned but cut for time and is on the post-launch to-do list. Same for a Mama Gurdy update.
idk about Hush tho

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think he said he was looking at changing the armor value only on hush. Delirium sounded like a more substantial fix (which is good because that fight is garbage top to bottom).

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Black August posted:

the Tainted characters are cool in that a lot of them feel like "what if we gave each different character a genuinely unique and thematic mechanic" with ten years of experience to inform the designs

Tainted Keeper should have been the default this entire time

I have every character unlocked. How do I started unlocking the tainted ones?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

I have every character unlocked. How do I started unlocking the tainted ones?

First beat Mother to get that "A mysterious door has appeared" message.

On floor 6 depths/necropolis, after defeating Mom, pick up the polaroid or negative, then teleport out of the room and use it to open the mysterious door in the first room. (The floor will have a marked skull that always drops a fool card when bombed.) This opens the path to the final ending.

After that

Keep ascending until you reach the Home level. In mom's room, the first time you go there, you'll find a red key in her chest. This can unlock a red room in the hallway outside of mom's room, that has the secret character in it. If you've already done this once you probably won't find a red key in the chest, so instead drop a trinket in any boss room on the way down to floor 6. When you start heading back up it will have turned into a key shard which is a one use red key that goes in your card/pill slot

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You can even drop your trinket in the same room as Dad's Note and it will immediately turn into the cracked key as soon as you pick up the note. This isn't ideal because it means you're trinketless but it means you're not screwed if you realized you forgot. Once you touch the note it's too late tho.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I had a D100 with jacob and easu and wanted to kill the one with judas shadow before re-rolling and whoops, run over. Respawned as judas' shadow with no items and no other character.

The Moon Monster posted:

First beat Mother to get that "A mysterious door has appeared" message.

On floor 6 depths/necropolis, after defeating Mom, pick up the polaroid or negative, then teleport out of the room and use it to open the mysterious door in the first room. (The floor will have a marked skull that always drops a fool card when bombed.) This opens the path to the final ending.

After that

Keep ascending until you reach the Home level. In mom's room, the first time you go there, you'll find a red key in her chest. This can unlock a red room in the hallway outside of mom's room, that has the secret character in it. If you've already done this once you probably won't find a red key in the chest, so instead drop a trinket in any boss room on the way down to floor 6. When you start heading back up it will have turned into a key shard which is a one use red key that goes in your card/pill slot
Use it on what exactly? I tried interacting with objects in home and took damage so I stopped doing that. Can you do this before entering your bedroom? I don't want to go all the way back there only to get sucked into the final fight again.

Honestly the thought of completing the beast fight with all characters on hard to unlock items has me leaning towards just downloading a completed save. I unlocked godhead before the lost started with the free holy mantle and D4, and finished without using a holy mantle, but I do not have that kind of patience or commitment anymore. I don't wanna grind for strong enough runs to complete all this stuff, I just wanna try new characters and items man. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

My understanding is there are only two new items linked to hard mode. One of them does look super fun and unique, the other is neat and op but is only super interesting with Apollyon.

There is also Bethany, a very important thing linked to hard mode, but it only requires a Mom's Heart completion.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 13, 2021