Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Jose posted:

lol this guy used to support abolishing the monarchy

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1381606438141890562?s=20

didn't you all fight a whole civil war about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Squizzle posted:

no one actually cares about philip. this is performative crap. a buncha people are actually emotionally invested in the queen, for some dumb reason. when she dies, you will see sincere grief, which should manifest quite differently than this Socially Proper Mourning Performance

Plus they'll have to put Charles on all their money lol.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

they should just agree to finish the monarchy for good after the queen goes

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 04:28 on Apr 13, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still say they'll just roll credits, end the country, and set off the nukes

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I’m going to run for prime minister on a platform of having the letters of resort being to scourge Britannia with nuclear fire and then closing the BBC long wave radio service

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Giedroyc posted:

Labour as a leftist party hasn't had a chance to get into power since the 70s. It was only when they leaned to the right that they got in.

Kier just wants to try to repeat the Blair strategy to appeal to people. Not that there's actually a political party in this country that isn't full of a bunch of idiots.

You taken a look at Blair's popularity polling lately?

Trying to bring back Blairism is like trying to bring back platform sandals, except that it's morally reprehensible rather than just sartorially reprehensible. The country tried it, they didn't like it, and they don't want to go back.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Giedroyc posted:

It's a political discussion forum. You know, for debate and talking. I'm sorry you don't agree with what I'm saying, but isn't that the point of a discussion? if everyone mindlessly agrees with something what's there to talk about?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ira mods got a loyalist down

K9
May 6, 2007

how is this guy real?
https://twitter.com/MichaelTakeMP/status/1381862958951698433

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Atrocious Joe posted:

didn't you all fight a whole civil war about that

That was the English Civil War :smuggo:

And after we chopped off the King's head the alternative turned out to be a puritanical religious zealot who made having fun illegal, so we went back to the last saved checkpoint and got the monarchy back. Then a bit later Glorious Britain :britain: was created. So the British People have never even done anything as cool as regicide.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Sir Michael Hot Take

K9
May 6, 2007

it dont matter posted:

Sir Michael Hot Take

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

https://twitter.com/MichaelTakeMP/status/1381680360271020038

Obvious troll account
:pwn:

K9
May 6, 2007

mickey take, gently caress i need to up my game

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Is his av just John Major with a beard

K9
May 6, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

Is his av just John Major with a beard

please, i'm already dead

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

mrmcd posted:

Plus they'll have to put Charles on all their money lol.

"She only just dead and you want to take her off the money?!?!
She should be on it forever!"

I bet you they will have both her and Charles on it for the first few years.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

happyhippy posted:

Our eternal leader

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Turns out what Victoria was trying to do with mediums you can just do with ideology

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

happyhippy posted:

I bet you they will have both her and Charles on it for the first few years.

the funny thing is charles is so up his own arse and couldn’t even stomach diana getting positive press when they did their tour of australia that he’ll definitely try to chuck her off it as soon as possible

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
It would take years to replace what is essentially every piece of legal tender in the country. Look at what happened when Modi did it in India overnight.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The queen and Churchill 69ing on a poppy on every banknote

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I love that that Take guy’s pinned tweet is a celebration of the time Nadine Dorries liked one his tweets

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

my money has otters on it :3:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

the sex ghost posted:

The queen and Churchill 69ing on a poppy on every banknote

new thread title

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

BalloonFish posted:

That was the English Civil War :smuggo:

And after we chopped off the King's head the alternative turned out to be a puritanical religious zealot who made having fun illegal, so we went back to the last saved checkpoint and got the monarchy back. Then a bit later Glorious Britain :britain: was created. So the British People have never even done anything as cool as regicide.

Well that's a relief, glad to hear the Scottish king wasn't caught up in all that English Civil War business

Wonder who that lucky fellow was

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jakabite posted:

I love that that Take guy’s pinned tweet is a celebration of the time Nadine Dorries liked one his tweets

Thirst transcends ideology

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Do they have stockpiles of pre-printed King Charles banknotes and stamps? Like how newspapers have pre-written obituaries for anyone famous they think might be about to kick the bucket.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
How did the money switchover work when Liz took the throne? Surely it'd just be like the plastic notes i.e. the old ones are still accepted but no longer being issued.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

gonadic io posted:

How did the money switchover work when Liz took the throne? Surely it'd just be like the plastic notes i.e. the old ones are still accepted but no longer being issued.

same way any new bills are circulated, modi's particular problems was because his intent was to remove a ton of old currency to address corruption. we won't deliberately remove it we'll retire it as it dies. it will remain legal tender i imagine.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I mean, if we should judge all people by the worst examples of their job station, I'm pretty sure I know who'd be at the very bottom of that list. Though I somehow doubt this guy would take the same tone if he were to be treated as a war criminal and basically every other crime against humanity there is.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

CoolCab posted:

same way any new bills are circulated, modi's particular problems was because his intent was to remove a ton of old currency to address corruption. we won't deliberately remove it we'll retire it as it dies. it will remain legal tender i imagine.

Presumably there's a coin recall at some point, right? Paper bills have a fairly limited life expectancy for regular use so you don't really need to think about it, they either get destroyed or become collectors' items, but coins can remain useable for literally centuries (this was a thing in Imperial China - coins from multiple dynasties ago still in circulation).

What Modi did isn't really comparable to how currency changes happen 99% of the time. Usually you say "OK this bill/coin is being phased out, you have x amount of time to go to the bank and exchange the old for the new, seeya" while Modi's thing yeah was a weird plan to basically obliterate a form of savings to try and catch a bunch of counterfeiters in the blast radius. It's like comparing a controlled demolition to just blowing up a city block without warning.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Tulip posted:

Presumably there's a coin recall at some point, right? Paper bills have a fairly limited life expectancy for regular use so you don't really need to think about it, they either get destroyed or become collectors' items, but coins can remain useable for literally centuries (this was a thing in Imperial China - coins from multiple dynasties ago still in circulation).

That's why we have plastic money now, so that it won't degrade unlike stupid paper.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does anyone have a link to an article that quotes the worst passages from the race report? thanks, and God bless!!!

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1381949132907155461
https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1381968214582693898

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
This is about where a Sunderland manager would get a public vote of confidence from ownership.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tulip posted:

It was a thing in Britain too until decimalisation in 1971 - you had coins from the last 100 years floating around until they got too worn. And even after decimalisation for silver coins - shillings were repurposed as 5p coins, florins as 10p for example - until those denominations were resized decades later.

In short no, Liz-head coins will circulate until they wear out; the Mint will just switch to using Charlie's head on new ones. Or Will's, if Charlie doesn't make it to his coronation; he's not looking any too well these days either.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The labour right should.save themselves a few years of poo poo and just coup him now

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

gonadic io posted:

As someone old enough to remember pre-decimal money, I remember the occasional two shilling pieces (and/or possibly half crowns) with King George on when I was a kid. If it still works the same post-Liz, the money is still legal tender and is gradually withdrawn from circulation.

I'm guessing there'll be some time limit on notes after which you'll have to change at bank branches (which they do anyway when they change the design let alone the monarch.)

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Jose posted:

The labour right should.save themselves a few years of poo poo and just coup him now

Not sure how much further right they could realistically go and still pretend they just want sensible grown up politics that Workington Man can believe in. It's just going to be Blair again isn't it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

the sex ghost posted:

Not sure how much further right they could realistically go and still pretend they just want sensible grown up politics that Workington Man can believe in. It's just going to be Blair again isn't it

*chanting* piers morgan piers morgan