Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol at how accurate this still is. he's lucky he didn't live long enough to see what became of one of his sons tbh

https://twitter.com/benwwk/status/1381940992924864513?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

As someone old enough to remember pre-decimal money, I remember the occasional two shilling pieces (and/or possibly half crowns) with King George on when I was a kid. If it still works the same post-Liz, the money is still legal tender and is gradually withdrawn from circulation.
Post-Liz, the UK will partially reverse decimalization and make a pound Elizabeth worth six pounds Charles. Wages will be paid in pounds Charles, but will not be adjusted for the exchange rate.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Post-Liz, the UK will partially reverse decimalization and make a pound Elizabeth worth six pounds Charles. Wages will be paid in pounds Charles, but will not be adjusted for the exchange rate.

Groats, surely?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Groats, surely?

Galleons and knuts, I believe.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Thinking about it I'm surprised there's never been a 'stuff the euro' style campaign to undo decimalisation. Things cost less in the 50s so if we go back to 50s money the economy will be fixed

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Shortly after the queens death the currency will be renamed to kilogram. The nukes will be launched shortly after. Hail Satan

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

the sex ghost posted:

Thinking about it I'm surprised there's never been a 'stuff the euro' style campaign to undo decimalisation. Things cost less in the 50s so if we go back to 50s money the economy will be fixed

This was actually in the BNP election manifesto in 2010(?) or so. Their entire promises were basically to reset the country back to 1950. Not that any of their supporters could actually read it.

edit: I think they also wanted to remove the metric system, clearly influenced by Grandpa Simpson.

Giedroyc has issued a correction as of 18:11 on Apr 13, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This is why I only accept payment in Bison Dollars

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

the sex ghost posted:

I’m 90% sure polling’s shown old fucks want that back almost as much as they want hanging

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is why I only accept payment in Bison Dollars

I didn't remember the rationale for setting the exchange rate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shxiy7l5b_4

Sounds more credible than bitcoins, at least

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

ro5s posted:

I’m 90% sure polling’s shown old fucks want that back almost as much as they want hanging

It's not nearly as popular but still a good 10% of Brexiters want to bring back pre-decimsl currency

There was a good WDTATW episode on the "weights and measures" campaigners who wanted to get rid of the barmy Brussels bureaucrats not letting them sell in lbs and ozs, which was essentially a dry run for the whole Leave campaign

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Y'all talking about ha'penny tu'penny and so forth?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

MikeCrotch posted:

It's not nearly as popular but still a good 10% of Brexiters want to bring back pre-decimsl currency

There was a good WDTATW episode on the "weights and measures" campaigners who wanted to get rid of the barmy Brussels bureaucrats not letting them sell in lbs and ozs, which was essentially a dry run for the whole Leave campaign

It's idiocy. UK went decimal when I was about 9 (IIRC 10p and 5p pieces were brought in ahead of actual decimalization - with 5p being worth a shilling and 10p worth two shillings). I'm almost 61 now. At primary (60s) we still did imperial measurements: stones, lbs, oz, cwt, leagues even. By the time I got to secondary school (70s), we were taught in metric, because UK was supposed to go fully decimal (and SI) in 1975. They should have done it in a big bang.

When they bought in the seven-sided 50p piece, they were forever interviewing old ladies on the BBC complaining about how they would muddle up the seven-sided 50p with a 10p. The fact they had been using the half crown, only marginally bigger than the two shilling piece, both round, for the whole of their lives and didn't have a problem with that seemed to pass them by.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failing to go full metric loving sucked. All through school I got taught metric and then someone asks how tall you are and doesn't know what 185cm means.

loving stupid country unable to break out of the past.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Failing to go full metric loving sucked. All through school I got taught metric and then someone asks how tall you are and doesn't know what 185cm means.

The fact that you say your height like that is proof the UK never figured out metric.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

yeah. you are supposed to use decimeters

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

MikeCrotch posted:

Just go the whole hog.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

MikeCrotch posted:

M. Smith: «Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this, the peak of your United Kingdom. I say your United Kingdom because as soon as you started using metric, it really became our United Kingdom, which is, of course, what this is all about»

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

THS posted:

yeah. you are supposed to use decimeters

No you just say one eighty-five without specifying units, they're implicit, everyone knows what they are.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

spankmeister posted:

No you just say one eighty-five without specifying units, they're implicit, everyone knows what they are.

Well as long as it's clear what the item you're measuring is

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

my car gets forty rods to the hogshead

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
and that's the way I likes it !!! :britain:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m sorry your King Phillip died, English goons. it’s really sad for you

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

euphronius posted:

I liked that "fighting on the beaches" speech of his.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i could imagine the designers of the matrix just scratching their heads in disbelief when they got to making the u.k. bit of the program

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I hope your next King is actually English

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

euphronius posted:

I hope your next King is actually English

well we’d need a time machine for that

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

well we’d need a time machine for that

are there no English people around who could be King ??

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
well if you just want to crown some random bloke off the street without the consecrated blood of a divine right ruler in him

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

forkboy84 posted:

nice height humblebrag

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Raskolnikov38 posted:

well if you just want to crown some random bloke off the street without the consecrated blood of a divine right ruler in him

look if red-faced loon harry redknapp can pull some abusive chancer out the stand and stick him on for west ham as a joke only to have him somehow score a goal then any geezer can take a punt at being the royal leader I reckon

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

spankmeister posted:

tbf decimeters would probably be better

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jel Shaker posted:

i could imagine the designers of the matrix just scratching their heads in disbelief when they got to making the u.k. bit of the program

They forgot to turn the FEUDALISM flag to 0 when they did a government switch and none of the original coders are around to fix it

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Raskolnikov38 posted:

my partner's favourite drunken rant is that we should keep the monarchy, but make it the prize for britain's got talent.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

euphronius posted:

commiserations on your living king robinette

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Continuity RCP posted:

commiserations on your living king robinette

Actually Royal Assent in the US works a bit differently:

I make hideous memes

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

spankmeister posted:

Exactly. Typical imperialist trying to exoticise things.

Spangly A posted:

my partner's favourite drunken rant is that we should keep the monarchy, but make it the prize for britain's got talent.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The coronation now includes having all your blood replaced by artificially grown royal blood.

mrmcd posted:

Actually Royal Assent in the US works a bit differently:

I make hideous memes
That's unfair to QE II, I'm sure she would receive far more votes if she was on the ballot.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

kecske posted:

my car gets forty rods to the hogshead

something that we don't really notice as much due to the rise of easily available calculators is that many customary units are far easier to divide due to more common factors. base 10 is kinda poo poo when it comes to equal divisions.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's unfair to QE II, I'm sure she would receive far more votes if she was on the ballot.

Quite sure, given that recent poll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

technically can liz dissolve parliament and appoint herself pm