Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google is going all in on ui unification, they’ve even made the icons to all of their apps identical

mediaphage posted:

googles biggest ui complaint for me is the create new email button in the web gmail client. i have to think and search for it every loving time

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

calendars are so loving annoying to design

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

qirex posted:

calendars are so loving annoying to design

i'd like to hear more about that

e: because it sounds interesting, the challenges

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the challenges are all logistical and there's no good way to show a month outside of the established way, those values are fixed but it can be 4 or 5 rows tall, date range selection patterns across weeks or months can get real confusing [the worst one I worked on was at hotwire and date range is the core value for the whole rest of the site so it was important]. now that I work in finance business and country holiday calendars have to interact with the users' selection and it can get even more confused

in my experience they're fiddly over interesting and there's not a lot of space to try anything new because the calendar month and week display are pretty much set in stone

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

qirex posted:

the challenges are all logistical and there's no good way to show a month outside of the established way, those values are fixed but it can be 4 or 5 rows tall, date range selection patterns across weeks or months can get real confusing [the worst one I worked on was at hotwire and date range is the core value for the whole rest of the site so it was important]. now that I work in finance business and country holiday calendars have to interact with the users' selection and it can get even more confused

in my experience they're fiddly over interesting and there's not a lot of space to try anything new because the calendar month and week display are pretty much set in stone

how many figgies do you pay for your financial calendar data and is it actually any good outside of like western europe and NA

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pointsofdata posted:

how many figgies do you pay for your financial calendar data and is it actually any good outside of like western europe and NA
we don't supply calendars but our customers are welcome to load them from whatever extremely expensive vendor they use into our system [or create them manually if they are masochists [would that make them finsubs???]]

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i just had a look at some other google apps and everyone who said that it was for a unified UI dealio is correct. in fact it looks like they're tryna make the entire top 1/8 of every app into a kind of search bar (like even for apps that in no way need one it still has a thing that looks like one) with the "your profile pic/main menu" thing on the top-right.

except for the google calendar app, that hasn't been touched and i think it's because they don't know how.

while youre not wrong the previous "unified" look was exactly the same with the top search bar where the app title is in the middle of it with the profile picture on the right except the left had a button for the hamburger menu

the question was why would they get rid of the left button and its because its time to change slide out menus to pop up ones ostensibly because they can interfere with gesture navigation

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

as an american, I find it an affront to my country that a hamburger button or hamburger menu does not actually refer to hamburgers

no good hamburger has toppings neatly stacked in matching dimensions. the best representation of a burger is the last 5 seconds of a 2000s era carls jr commercial where they plop the western bacon cheeseburger on a completely white surface and all the ingredients pop out

also, the western bacon cheeseburger is an idea that is great on paper but terrible in practice. When you try to chew through a single onion ring, it takes the onion innards with it. And lord help you if you allow it to cool down because it is inedible when cold.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

sb hermit posted:

as an american, I find it an affront to my country that a hamburger button or hamburger menu does not actually refer to hamburgers

no good hamburger has toppings neatly stacked in matching dimensions. the best representation of a burger is the last 5 seconds of a 2000s era carls jr commercial where they plop the western bacon cheeseburger on a completely white surface and all the ingredients pop out

also, the western bacon cheeseburger is an idea that is great on paper but terrible in practice. When you try to chew through a single onion ring, it takes the onion innards with it. And lord help you if you allow it to cool down because it is inedible when cold.

:goonsay:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
that’s because you’re using lovely onion rings

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

a good burger should not have onion rings in it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i’m actually kind of boring when it comes to burgers. bacon cheese or a black and bleu are as crazy as i tend to get. and a thin soft bun, gently caress all of these gourmet~~~~ burgers that are on hard bread that you can’t fit in your mouth without unhinging your goddamned jaw

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

mediaphage posted:

i’m actually kind of boring when it comes to burgers. bacon cheese or a black and bleu are as crazy as i tend to get. and a thin soft bun, gently caress all of these gourmet~~~~ burgers that are on hard bread that you can’t fit in your mouth without unhinging your goddamned jaw

An ideal burger should just have cheese, optional bacon, a few veggies for texture, and a sauce. Anything else is no longer a burger, it's just slop.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

shoeberto posted:

An ideal burger should just have cheese, optional bacon, a few veggies for texture, and a sauce. Anything else is no longer a burger, it's just slop.

if they put all the extras and sides in the burger instead of on the side, it's 100% to distract you from the fact they're charging mid-tier prices for trash-tier meat

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i mean i don't think slop or trash-tier meat is either fair or accurate in many cases. it's just the trend, like those dumb loving bloody mary cocktails that have a million sides stuck on a straw.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mediaphage posted:

i place the blame for brioche buns squarely on making food more insta-friendly

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

i place the blame for brioche buns squarely on making food more insta-friendly

brioche buns are fine though. good brioche is soft and squishable, and not size dependent for that matter. though i get your point.

the worse is when i see poo poo shoved into a crusty ciabatta roll

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ok, that's an improvement

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

to be honest, an in-n-out cheeseburger or double double is my ideal burger, but sub mustard for the thousand island

and I like their fries too, despite their inconsistency

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
whatever the gently caress even is going on here, i'm sure it's great for everyone who bought into google's media services

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
rip to yet another goog service i had never heard of before

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

just assume that any combination of google + noun is a discontinued/soon to be discontinued service

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i think it's just the app stuff they paid the tv makers etc to put on. all that content will still be available afaict.

Shaggar posted:

rip to yet another goog service i had never heard of before

you probably just don't remember but this was how they sold all their video content before rebranding all that stuff inside of the play store

Anne Frank Funk posted:

just assume that any combination of google + noun is a discontinued/soon to be discontinued service

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
gmail and search are the only goog services i use

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

wow, google play books is still around? I wonder how long it will remain until it gets unceremoniously dumped like everything else

maybe get integrated into youtube

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

well they don’t have any other book sales app do they? that at least probably makes them a net positive amount of dollars vis a vis its development time.

i actually use it as my ereader on my android tablet because it syncs uploaded epubs but lol at buying something from them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mediaphage posted:

i think it's just the app stuff they paid the tv makers etc to put on. all that content will still be available afaict.

the content will be but it may not help much if the devices don't have apps to play it, tbh it's unclear if they will

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

the content will be but it may not help much if the devices don't have apps to play it, tbh it's unclear if they will

this doesn't make it right but there's probably like 15 people it will serious affect

and if they complain loud enough they'll probably get a discount on a roku or random google device to replace it

i feel like most of the affected devices probably have youtube as well

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I feel like we’re going to find out some day that, much like launching a new product is the best way to get promoted for product management and tech leads, the best way to get promoted in the finance department was to kill an unprofitable product

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mediaphage posted:

this doesn't make it right but there's probably like 15 people it will serious affect

and if they complain loud enough they'll probably get a discount on a roku or random google device to replace it

i feel like most of the affected devices probably have youtube as well

very probably. i'm mostly just in awe of google's clear as mud plan here, or what the gently caress is even happening.

we're doing something, possibly in the vein of things we've done previously with our media services. what does that mean for anyone with any given device, subscription, or purchased content? there's really no way to know.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

I feel like we’re going to find out some day that, much like launching a new product is the best way to get promoted for product management and tech leads, the best way to get promoted in the finance department was to kill an unprofitable product

stack ranking for products

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

sb hermit posted:

wow, google play books is still around? I wonder how long it will remain until it gets unceremoniously dumped like everything else

maybe get integrated into youtube

YouTube Live Docs, powered by Stadia

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

shoeberto posted:

YouTube Live Docs, powered by Stadia

this assumes that stadia is sticking around

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

sb hermit posted:

this assumes that stadia is sticking around

Your Youtube Live Docs, powered by Stadia will be migrated to the new Youtube Google Biblio service (certain exclusions apply, service not available in Guam)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i can't wait for the return of wave, as a messaging client

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

unpopular opinion but wave was ahead of its time

not helped by googles general schizophrenic approach to product management tho

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i think the 'pos actually liked wave, tbh

summon rotor, he'd know

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

google ought to start haphazardly recycling old branding like microsoft does, that really spices things up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SO DEMANDING posted:

google ought to start haphazardly recycling old branding like microsoft does, that really spices things up!

the google play book store will eventually be relaunched under the name google reader, angering everybody