Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Meshka posted:

I am not saying everything is great, large and DoJ mandated reforms are absolutely needed. But you cant say things like we do not need law enforcement, it is needed in every society in all time periods. Model something new using some European practices, but it will take a long time.

What is the indication that society will collapse into chaos because everyone is inherently evil, other than your personal feelings, without the thin blue line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Meshka posted:

I am not saying everything is great, large and DoJ mandated reforms are absolutely needed. But you cant say things like we do not need law enforcement, it is needed in every society in all time periods. Model something new using some European practices, but it will take a long time.

I can absolutely say things like we don’t need law enforcement because as it has been stated to you but you’ve ignored several times: 1) you’re making up your reasons out of thin air and not basing them on any objective reality and 2) it has been ruled by the United States federal loving courts that cops aren’t obligated to protect anyone at all and

:siren::siren: 3) someone posted what “abolish police” actually means and you ignored it just like they said you would, and you’re continuing to look like a moron as a result:siren::siren:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

boop the snoot posted:

I can absolutely say things like we don’t need law enforcement because as it has been stated to you but you’ve ignored several times: 1) you’re making up your reasons out of thin air and not basing them on any objective reality and 2) it has been ruled by the United States federal loving courts that cops aren’t obligated to protect anyone at all and

:siren::siren: 3) someone posted what “abolish police” actually means and you ignored it just like they said you would, and you’re continuing to look like a moron as a result:siren::siren:

Yup.

And that's the last word on this, Meshka please do some reading before you try to offer an opinion next time.

There will be a "typing while the mod posted stop" grace period before the probes start.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

CainFortea posted:

Do you see why we dogpile McNally?

I will ask my question again in a slightly reworded way in hopes of maybe getting an answer. Have you ever been the subject of a robbery or violence that a police officer has stopped?

From my personal experience, I have been violently robbed and no a cop was not there at the exact moment to stop it. They took my statement and investigated. But that is irrelevant because they are first responders who do respond to emergencies that require a government intervention.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
In other news:

Nice

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016
NVM, I am done

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
lol the reason you have for why armed police should exist is literally a time they failed you fucken lmao

e: I'll eat a probe for laughing at the bootlicker.

But you really should take a look at what police abolition means, Meshka, rather than deciding it is something terrible and having some very, very bad hypotheticals for why it should continue to exist

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

McNally posted:

In other news:

Nice

Nice

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Dang it, McNally, we told you that vent froze over years ago

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Everybody shut the gently caress up.

Have an oversized cat picture.

My contribution to an off-topic discussion: softball stolen valor insurrection

Yeah you read that right.

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1381949191887458305

quote:

Troy Smocks, the feds said, previously falsely impersonated a DEA agent, a Secret Service agent, an FBI agent, an Army colonel, and a diplomatic securiity agent.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

So, how about that cat!

Do we have an estimate on verdict timing? I assume sometime tomorrow, but wonder if a quick guilty finding would be released tonight.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I know that when we abolish police, the municipal, state, and federal funds that were going to the police are just magically gone and can't be used for social programs that help people.

Just a hundred billion dollars a year will disappear from this country.

Taxes would be lowered so corporations can create affordable private security for the wealthy 10% to afford.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I just wanna say as someone who is usually on the other end of these dog piles, this was refreshing.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Those billions won't disappear. They won't exist thanks to tax cuts.

E: you've grown, cole. Whether that's personally or just on us, who's to say, but you've grown.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Nah most of us had shithead phases imo, coles was just moreso for a while.

Mine never ended baybee.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

In more fun news, Joel Greenberg has been an informant against Matt Gaetz for more than a year:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/13/us/politics/joel-greenberg-matt-gaetz.html

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

In more fun news, Joel Greenberg has been an informant against Matt Gaetz for more than a year:

Getting the pimp to roll on the client seems weird. Whatever. They're both terrible people so I hope Joel doesn't get a good deal.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

facialimpediment posted:

Official timeline shift announcement tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1381993789888331781?s=19

Edit: and speaking of foreign morasses that are impossible to get out from

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1381998113364262912

Wasn't it literally their pilots lol

Best one yet

Is this just lifestyle stuff or does it include owning shares in major polluters

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Supposedly there was a blackout so the pilot couldn’t have done anything.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_control

we have formal rules (laws) and informal rules (don't wear shoes inside the house). Formal rules can be enforced through formal and informal sanctions. Murder is subject to formal sanctions such as prison as well as informal sanctions of the stigma of being a murderer. Informal rules are enforced through informal sanctions. Someone wears their muddy shoes inside your house enough times, you stop letting him into your house.

Most laws are enforced through simple informal sanctions. A child stealing from a friend might get shunned from his peer group and thus learns that even if he doesn't go to jail (formal sanction), he doesn't like the resulting social stigma from stealing (informal sanction).

Even in cases where formal sanctions are needed, they do not need to be violent formal sanctions. The vast majority of while collar crime is enforced (lol) with non violent formal sanctions. As such, very few of the state's responses to breaking formal sanctions need the ability to enforce the rules with violence.

Sanctions however are only a small portion of the solution. Crimes such as theft can be addressed by ensuring that everyone's needs are met. We also need to do a better job of doing away with laws where there are no/limited social sanctions while the formal sanctions are far harsher. Example of this marijuana.

And yes, there will always come a time where violence is needed. Serial killers will still exist in the coming communist utopia. However, the majority of our formal rules are upheld by police who constantly use violence in situations where it isn't needed.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 14, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Milo and POTUS posted:

Pilots are not liable for anything that happens :negative:

I think there's a bit more to it but FV will likely explain

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Didn’t you break a generator on a ship once

This sounds like it’s right up your alley

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

A?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Pook I just wanna that's a good post and thank you for making it

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CBJSprague24 posted:

Some other legal folks are speculating that the Feds are trying to turn him into a Rick Gates (like the Manafort Russia thing). Greenberg is likely waffling between giving serious information and bullshit, pulling a Michael Cohen, so the feds recently hit Greenberg with another superseding indictment, just to remind him that he's not the one in control. Gates was waffling back and forth until a final superseding indictment made him legitimately cooperate.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Pilots are not liable for anything that happens :negative:

I think there's a bit more to it but FV will likely explain

Rule 2 is always in effect.

Also, they already declared general salvage and that thing isn't worth 1 billion so they probably just let them keep it.

And that was a good post Pook, that poo poo is too complex for me.

Edit: Evergreen doesn't own the Evergiven so they don't care.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 14, 2021

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

lightpole posted:

Rule 2 is always in effect.

Also, they already declared general salvage and that thing isn't worth 1 billion so they probably just let them keep it.

Edit: Evergreen doesn't own the Evergiven so they don't care.

Rule 2 of the colreg has nothing to do with pilotage. And the government of Egypt isn’t a party to the general average; general average doesn’t diminish the value of the vessel or cargo.

Pilots are only onboard as advisers, and the captain retains the ultimate responsibility for the conduct of the vessel in most jurisdiction. In some places, the captain or his representative (the OOW) has a duty to take over from the pilot as soon as the pilot starts loving up. This is, obviously, difficult. Long story short, the pilots probably shrugged and walked away.

The owners and the government claim that there was no mechanical failure, such as a black out or steering gear issue. Incident report won’t be out for a while.

Evergreen doesn’t own the ship but they’re the carrier for the cargo onboard so they might have even more of an incentive to get the ship moving again. That being said until the GA assessment is completed or bonds are posted, they’re not in a rush to get these containers off. (poo poo they’re probably happy the ship is off-hire)

The GA case is a clusterfuck, Egypt arresting the ship is Egypt Egypting and once the story falls off the media radar the ship’ll get moving again.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

lightpole posted:

And that was a good post Pook, that poo poo is too complex for me.

for an example of what I mean, look at the IRS. Most of the rules are just enforced by civil servants doing audits with punishments of fines etc, and only rarely do you need a federal agent with a gun to arrest someone and give them a prison sentence

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
The silent majority affirm police behavior lolol

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

The silent majority affirm police behavior lolol

are you confusing informal sanctions with silent majority?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
No I was laughing that Meshka would suggest that after a half decade of constant demonstrations and marches against police brutality. Not to mention the heaps of studies and analysis that show that our criminal justice system loving sucks in just about every conceivable way

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 14, 2021

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I think the current problem with saying “abolish” is that people read/hear that as it’s common usage of “get rid off” instead of totally reset/reform.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
mulligan the police

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
demurderlustize the police

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Crab Dad posted:

I think the current problem with saying “abolish” is that people read/hear that as it’s common usage of “get rid off” instead of totally reset/reform.
I don't think it's particularly feasible to persuade/educate the broader public that "abolish" actually means "totally reset and reform" in this context.

If one is chatting with a neighbor they're on good terms with and the neighbor expresses confusion and doubt about the phrase "abolish the police", you don't try browbeat them into submission and demand they educate themselves (I hope). If a plain-English reading understandably creates confusion, why not change the messaging?

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 14, 2021

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Cugel the Clever posted:

I don't think it's particularly feasible to persuade/educate the broader public that "abolish" actually means "totally reset and reform" in this context.

If you're chatting with a neighbor you're on good terms with and they express confusion and doubt about the phrase "abolish the police", you don't try browbeat them into submission and demand they educate themselves (I hope). If a plain-English reading understandably creates confusion, why not change the messaging?

I completely agree with this. You could fire all current officers into the sun and Cop-God would recognize his own and save the good 1%.

Some realistic ideas I had while thinking about it would be a wild waste of funds to actually fire them into the sun.

National register for being able to be a police officer.

Simple things like de-incentive violence. Got a shooting good or bad? There’s plenty of other jobs out there for you. Congrats you either retired or fired. Use of force greater than hands? 10 usages and it’s the farm for you.

Make a national academy mandatory but allow hiring locally. Standards for training shouldn’t be different across the states. Subsidize trainings for poor states/districts/counties. Perhaps make it like the military with basic training(emphasis on law) first with a follow up social care. At that point peel off a small percentage for armed work.

This loving shift won’t end.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Meshka posted:

A portion of people are not inherently good no matter how well a society runs itself and will always take advantage of the weaker without a mechanism to discourage that type of behavior. Saying abolish all police makes you sound like a child and will never be accepted by majority of people.

I think the portion he's talking about is the non-white portion...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Into The Mild posted:

I think the portion he's talking about is the non-white portion...

Biker “clubs” were just mentioned.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

reboot the police

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Replace the police