Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
From what people were saying earlier it sounded like the game itself works fine, but the values that have been plugged into it need a lot of balance work.

That definitely sounds like the kind of problem that you can reliably fix to a schedule, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

They put up a forum post about what they’re doing with the extra time. The answer is “a lot”, and most of it is balance/small changes stuff. I think the underlying game systems worked just fine back in December but everything that had a number attached to it was kinda hosed.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It's amplitude studios. Balancing is probably taking them a long time because it's the first time they've ever tried doing it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've played games that were delayed and real good and ones that were delayed and real bad. I don't think you can really read anything into delays as a concept. Until they turn into Bloodlines 2 level fuckups, anyway.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah, like it was pretty apparent that Cyberpunk was hosed despite all the delays even before it launched. Bloodlines 2 as well, though Paradox at least seems to know that and might not ignite their entire reputation like CDPR did. I don’t get the same vibes from this.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm not super excited for this game anyway so i'd rather they take the time to try to get it right instead of it becoming yet another amplitude 4x, "wow this game is pretty... ok i've stomped the AI a couple times, i'll put this away and never play it again"

Anno
May 10, 2017

They did confirm at least one more OpenDev before the game launches.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
No game is worth crunch timing your employees so as long as they aint doing that i can happily wait

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Article on the diplomacy system

https://www.pcgamesn.com/humankind/diplomacy-mechanics?amp

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Delays are just a thing that happens to games. It's pretty much the industry standard, and I wouldn't try to read anything into it unless it's one of those projects that stays in development for years longer than expected or the delays are accompanied by information about development red flags like 'we are giving ourselves 6 months to port the game to an entirely different engine which we will be developing in-studio'.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Culture reveals are back baby. :911:

An F-35 for the unique unit and defense agency for unique district has to be some on the nose commentary.

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1382000713757290497

Anno fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 13, 2021

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
F-35 for a choice is beyond stupid.

How about a Nimitz class supercarrier? B-2 stealth bombers? Cruise missiles? You know, the things that have actually projected American power across the globe for decades?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
those are previous era units, duh.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Charlz Guybon posted:

Seems to fit america then OP

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
A huge DoD boondoggle is pretty on point.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Charlz Guybon posted:

How about a Nimitz class supercarrier? B-2 stealth bombers? Cruise missiles? You know, the things that have actually projected American power across the globe for decades?

You know, despite the US Navy being the largest and best-funded wing of the American military for centuries and critical to American global hegemony, I can't think of a single 4X game with historical civilizations that portrays the US as any kind of naval power.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Probably because the the Navys projection of force is tied up in a lot of aircraft still.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
And also because every 4x treats naval power as some kind of afterthought.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's absolutely perfect for modern america. The A-10 warthog is the real life one though.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Charlz Guybon posted:

have you met 2021 america

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It's kind of tricky to come up with a Thing for America in a 4X, because by any reasonable metric it has "won" the 20th century.
(Although that new climate change expansion pack should shake up the late game)

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Benagain posted:

those are previous era units, duh.

They're going to have the Soviet Union as a modern civ aren't they? Their unit will probably be a T-72 tank. No need for units to be current in 2021. Hell, F-35 isn't even flying yet.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
America's bonus should be free CBs on any country they have trade relations with. It comes with a malus that there's a 50% chance of a random leader swap to a toddler.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Beamed posted:

have you met 2021 america

But a country's iconic unit should reflect what brought them to the height of their power. It should be the aircraft carrier.

If you want to give the US a penalty reflecting political corruption or extremism or what have you to reflect its decline, that would be fair.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

Hell, F-35 isn't even flying yet.

The first U.S. combat employment began in July 2018 with USMC F-35Bs from the amphibious assault ship USS Essex, with the first combat strike on 27 September 2018 against a Taliban target in Afghanistan.[263] This was followed by a USAF deployment to Al Dhafra Air Base, UAE on 15 April 2019.[264] On 27 April 2019, USAF F-35As were first used in combat in an airstrike on an Islamic State tunnel network in northern Iraq.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Cythereal posted:

You know, despite the US Navy being the largest and best-funded wing of the American military for centuries and critical to American global hegemony, I can't think of a single 4X game with historical civilizations that portrays the US as any kind of naval power.

It's because the Western fantasy of war is middle class fighter pilots in invincible sky chariots, with targeting information from James Bond, effortlessly removing all threats. Whole wars are fought to try and live up to this.

As opposed to the Western reality of war which, like every other power in history, is about logistics, boats, logistics, boats.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Tree Bucket posted:

It's kind of tricky to come up with a Thing for America in a 4X, because by any reasonable metric it has "won" the 20th century.
(Although that new climate change expansion pack should shake up the late game)

I assure you that America is still a far, far way off from the "pop happiness" victory condition

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It's not even got started on the Domination victory. So far America only has 1 capital :colbert:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It's not even got started on the Domination victory. So far America only has 1 capital :colbert:

Isn't it three? Texas and Puerto Rico? Wait do the first nations count,

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Deltasquid posted:

I assure you that America is still a far, far way off from the "pop happiness" victory condition

What was that line from the reviews of thed civ4 civics system? "Imagine a police state with free speech!"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

But a country's iconic unit should reflect what brought them to the height of their power. It should be the aircraft carrier.

If you want to give the US a penalty reflecting political corruption or extremism or what have you to reflect its decline, that would be fair.

On the other hand, using an iconic unit choice to criticize that country is a heck of a move.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Charlz Guybon posted:

The Balao class submarine would also be a good one. They're still in service today, in Taiwan. :black101:

Constitution class frigate would be another fine choice if you want to look towards the earlier period of America's growth and expansion.

Or Liberty Ships.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly my main thought is how meaningful late game UUs will be. I really don't care about the historical specifics(I do think the modern supercarrier is more iconic than the F-35 but i also think this game might not even really do carriers much justice- when you have a big spread of history, some things fall by the wayside mechanically).

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It'll make sense if the F35 has increased research, cost, and build times compared to contemporaries

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1384537440971632644

Emblematic unit: all-terrain PMV
Emblematic district: Strip Mining Complex

I feel like the SMC is a bit on-the-nose…

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
F-35 for America? SMC for Australia??

What's next lmao Saudis with the Mecca mega hotel? Iraq with Project Babylon?

Anyways, had they previously mentioned the August 17th release date?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

IAmThatIs posted:

F-35 for America? SMC for Australia??

What's next lmao Saudis with the Mecca mega hotel? Iraq with Project Babylon?

Anyways, had they previously mentioned the August 17th release date?

Indians with the Delhi Apartment Complex.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

They're clearly taking the piss and I'm here for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
My grandparent's farm is buried under a spoil heap from a genuine Australian strip mining complex. Feeling very emblematic rn