Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Backed the Canvas sequel, even though I haven’t been able to play the original yet*. I believe in it that much.

*Because it’s currently in a different country from me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

StarkRavingMad posted:

I don't know if this fully fits as a "Traditional Game," but if you like tarot cards, I think this is cool. Might also be a cool prop/inspiration for other tabletop games:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/713books/the-alleymans-tarot/

Basically a tarot deck made to look like a mismatched cobbled together thing you might find a back alley fortuneteller using in a story.

The normal tier is $45, but it has a $40 cheaper option if you financially need it, and there's also a cool $100 option:

The $100 tier was originally limited to 10 copies since they didn't think there would be much demand, then raised to 30, then 50, and now 100 as of a few minutes ago (with 37 left at the time of this post and going quick).
(edit): looks like that $100 tier is now all sold out
Ehhhh, I don't know. Only 9 Deaths?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I've only played a few games of Canvas but my wife and I really enjoyed it so the expansion was an auto-backing.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

There's something magical about the moment someone presents their completed artwork to the group and has to read off the silly name the cards gave it. More games should have the opportunity to give out secondary prizes based on how aesthetically pleasingly you managed to do something. Everyone knows that the game of Carcassonne is truly won by the person who manages to build their city in the shape of a cock and balls, after all.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

rantmo posted:

I've only played a few games of Canvas but my wife and I really enjoyed it so the expansion was an auto-backing.

Same, played it three times with my pod over the last year and it's been fun. Haven't backed the new one yet but I will before it's over.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Canvas was a hit with my family. And yeah that was an auto-back.

Also, it's a really fun (and almost meditative) solo experience when playing versus "Vincent".

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I absolutely love Canvas, I have no idea how they managed to make it so good on so many levels. It's one of the few games my girlfriend's flatmate will play with us, so the expansion was an automatic back as soon as I saw it was out.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Not sure why, but something about the campaign for Mythic Battles: Ragnarok is just not clicking for me. I'm pledged for a dollar because not getting Pantheon was a regret and I still might all-in the reprint of that, but I expected to at least be tempted by Ragnarok but something about it just isn't drawing me in on the same level. Maybe it's just that the Greek is fully mythic, whereas the Norse is drawing on some real-life figures. Maybe it's just that I don't trust the core team for Ragnarok to be as competent as the now-departed (if I understand correctly) core team behind Pantheon. Maybe I'm just looking for excuses to not buy a gigantic ton of plastic right now, particularly since HEXplore It has really caught my fancy.

Anyone have any strong feelings, pro or con, on Ragnarok that might help sway my ambivalence? I'm really having a hard time mustering a care for it.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
If, like me, you are also interested in the Canvas sequel but did not see anyone post a link, well, here is that link.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roadtoinfamy/canvas-reflections

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Ehhhh, I don't know. Only 9 Deaths?

I think Death (Motel) may be the best one

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Genius Games have put their latest educational game up on KS. It's called Cellulose and is about how plant cells work.

They manage to put out decent games without compromising the education aspect so this was an auto-back for me.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Genius Games have put their latest educational game up on KS. It's called Cellulose and is about how plant cells work.

They manage to put out decent games without compromising the education aspect so this was an auto-back for me.

...ok, fine, I'm all in, but I vaugely resent being so extremely laser targeted.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Why am I unironically hype for dumb deluxe train sets?..

Do I like trains?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Infinitum posted:

Why am I unironically hype for dumb deluxe train sets?..

Do I like trains?
It's good to be excited about things, even if they're dumb! Maybe especially then!

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

The next Marvel United game is up and this time it's the X-Men. Its doing quite well even by CMON standards. The question is: did anyone ever figure out a good use for the minis? The game itself is brutally underwhelming and I might never play it again, but those goddamn minis are great.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Memnaelar posted:

Not sure why, but something about the campaign for Mythic Battles: Ragnarok is just not clicking for me. I'm pledged for a dollar because not getting Pantheon was a regret and I still might all-in the reprint of that, but I expected to at least be tempted by Ragnarok but something about it just isn't drawing me in on the same level. Maybe it's just that the Greek is fully mythic, whereas the Norse is drawing on some real-life figures. Maybe it's just that I don't trust the core team for Ragnarok to be as competent as the now-departed (if I understand correctly) core team behind Pantheon. Maybe I'm just looking for excuses to not buy a gigantic ton of plastic right now, particularly since HEXplore It has really caught my fancy.

Anyone have any strong feelings, pro or con, on Ragnarok that might help sway my ambivalence? I'm really having a hard time mustering a care for it.

Really? I kinda want it all and have no idea what to get. like either get both core sets or just one and a couple of the add-ons for that set. If you're not feeling Ragnarok then just get Pantheon and be happy with that? Honestly wish I felt the same way

I don't even know how you'd go about transporting and playing all of it anyway

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/itten-games/crash-octopus/posts/3158264

3000 orders, no tracking. What can possibly go wrong?

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Yeah, I was very surprised to get that update as well.
No tracking, please wait 3 months, good luck!

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Itten Games posted:

If you don't receive your copy after 3 months (to give it one extra month given the pandemic), please reach out to your local postal service and inquire with them about your parcel, noting your name and address.

:psyduck:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

lmao. not sure about other countries and postal services but that would be 100% useless here

I almost backed that as well

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh wow I wanted to back this because I thought it was gorgeous, but holy :laffo: at the "maybe it's stuck on the Ever Given" level of shipping.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Yeah, that game looked great but I'm glad I didn't add to my low-level anxiety by backing it!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

EverettLO posted:

The next Marvel United game is up and this time it's the X-Men. Its doing quite well even by CMON standards. The question is: did anyone ever figure out a good use for the minis? The game itself is brutally underwhelming and I might never play it again, but those goddamn minis are great.
For anyone who's wondering, I don't think this is a really common opinion (though it's completely valid for you to think that). While maybe the core game is a bit basic if you use all the wild cards in each character's deck (which makes them feel a bit samey), the expansions really add a lot of depth and challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OunwXoqSY8

Zee Garcia of The Dice Tower said that unlike any other giant Kickstarter where you know you're never going to play the mounds of expansion content you get, he totally expects himself to work through all the characters and villains. He was kind of surpised at that.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

EverettLO posted:

Oh goddamn it. I saw the email about that and was going to skip it because I figured it would just be more of the same, but I completely forgot about the minis, which is why I backed the first one all-in (which turned about to be a metric fuckton of minis and totally worth it). Thanks so much. :argh:

But as far as what you can do with the minis - does it matter with minis, really? :haw: there is that Marvel tactical mini game you could use these for I guess.

E: omg the apocalypse minis! :aaa: OMG Longshot and Illyana! :swoon: I hope they make a Warlock :pray:

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 15, 2021

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I wish I knew more about X-Men because while I recognized about 98% of the characters in the original campaign, I'm shrugging every time they reveal a new stretch goal here. I mean, they're cool characters, but I have no connection to them. I do know Legion/The Shadow King from the FX show and some characters from The New Mutants film, though, so that's cool. Maybe I should watch the 90s cartoon to brush up.

I'm sure once they reveal the paid expansions, then the famous mutants will come out.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 15, 2021

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Awesome, by the time I finish painting the shitload of minis from the first Kickstarter, I’ll have even more to paint!

Where’s the cable/Deadpool expansion and the Mr. Sinister expansion that is just 6 different models for him?

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

JazzFlight posted:

For anyone who's wondering, I don't think this is a really common opinion (though it's completely valid for you to think that). While maybe the core game is a bit basic if you use all the wild cards in each character's deck (which makes them feel a bit samey), the expansions really add a lot of depth and challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OunwXoqSY8

Zee Garcia of The Dice Tower said that unlike any other giant Kickstarter where you know you're never going to play the mounds of expansion content you get, he totally expects himself to work through all the characters and villains. He was kind of surpised at that.

Hmmmm. I didn't get all the expansions to the base game and so far I've only played with base box villains (although stretch goal heroes). I also did use the wild cards. Maybe I should be giving this game another try.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wasn't it a recent CMON Marvel Kickstarter that had the game out at retail while backers were still waiting months for their copies?

Or am I misremembering that?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The Marvel kickstarter had me at the Blob, but they really won me over with Firestar. I hope the game is cool but definitely mainly backing for the minis.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I personally wish Marvel United had no minis at all. It's a game design I'd happily own and collect all of, having tried it through TTS. The core game (if you take out at least the double-wild, their so called "hard mode") is a pretty solid lightweight puzzle with a dash of color from the villain and individual heroes and locations. Sounds like the expansions mix it up quite a bit and add enough variety to keep spice in it for quite a while. And it's fast, so you could conceivably play it quite a lot. It's nowhere near as complicated and deep as I usually get into, or as narratively rich. But I like it, and if it were reasonably priced, I'd own it.

However, a complete set as of this KS will end up running well over $400 by the end of the campaign, with huge swathes of content KS exclusive so there will never be a good point to buy it piecemeal. I have to assume the vast majority of that is the giant amount of minis, because everything I've heard suggests the rest of the production is pretty anemic - they're even separately selling thick cardboard location tiles because what you get in box is...not. I don't value minis at the best of times and additionally am not wild about the chibi/super deformed approach in this one. But I especially don't think it's a *game* that justifies costing several hundred dollars. So it's a total pass for me and it doesn't need to have been.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

EverettLO posted:

The game itself is brutally underwhelming and I might never play it again, but those goddamn minis are great.

I disagree. I find the gameplay quite charming and easy to digest. As a father of a toddler I need more of these style games than epic games that require I devoted attention.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

graventy posted:

If, like me, you are also interested in the Canvas sequel but did not see anyone post a link, well, here is that link.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roadtoinfamy/canvas-reflections
Looking at this and Canvas seems like it might sneak past my No Kickstarter rule (along with the button shy set from earlier) because it looks like a simple and charming game.

I'm a bit disappointed the Deluxe version seems to come with things that change the game play (however slightly) because I probably won't bother with the wooden pieces. Not disappointed enough to not back though.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Infinitum posted:

Wasn't it a recent CMON Marvel Kickstarter that had the game out at retail while backers were still waiting months for their copies?

Or am I misremembering that?

It was this one, in a very roundabout "sort of" fashion. The base version of the game (7 heroes and 3 villains) was already in warehouses because it was made by Spinmaster or whatever and not CMON, and some Wal-Marts pulled the trigger and just started selling it because Wal-Mart don't give a gently caress about your Kickstarter entitlements. The actual game is like 78 heroes and 29 villains or some crazy thing, so it wasn't that much of a huge kick in the dick.

The gameplay is though. I've tried it several times, including stuff from all the boxes, and the thing it feels is clinical. There's nothing about the heroes that especially feels like any particular Marvel hero, and the locations are pretty much the same way. We were like gently caress it, let's have Moon Knight, Howard the Duck, Squirrel Girl, and America Chavez fight MODOK in Wakanda, and other than the minis looking pretty cool not a bit of that character came through. Every turn was just "Okay, Howard plays his card for the turn displaying Move and Punch, and uses the Wild from the last card in play. Just like Howard, who is known to move and punch." Granted there's a few text cards in each hero deck with text (Yondu's Yaka arrow goes clockwise around the board to each location in turn, destroying a thug in that location, continuing to do so until there's no thugs in the next location" but those cards are just three of each deck's twelve cards, the rest are just variations on Move, Punch, Heroic, and Wild.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

I'm sure once they reveal the paid expansions, then the famous mutants will come out.

is there any indication more boxed expansions will be revealed?

I figured it was just individual stretch goals and this was a smaller KS than MU.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ketchup vs catsup posted:

is there any indication more boxed expansions will be revealed? I figured it was just individual stretch goals and this was a smaller KS than MU.
It's CMON and there's 20 days to go. Yep, this is definitely going to have like 4 extra paid boxes, at least. That's what sustains the money growth during the mid-campaign slump and keeps the stretch goals getting unlocked at an even pace.

If this was some short week-long KS where they made it clear that it was a limited campaign, then sure, no more expansions expected, but this is different.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

djfooboo posted:

I disagree. I find the gameplay quite charming and easy to digest. As a father of a toddler I need more of these style games than epic games that require I devoted attention.

Fair enough. I have two kids myself and also prefer easier to grasp games, which usually leads me to more abstracted games like Santorini or Tak. This one felt abstract, but in ways that flattened the game experience. I felt like the heroes were very samey and their individuality or powers were noticeable on paper, but overall not a huge impact on play. Each game against a given villain played out almost identically regardless of the heroes used and there weren't too many surprises to how things went down. The villain design is better and they mostly feel very different.

Looking into the advice from JazzFlight and some other Youtube videos, though, it looks like I inadvertently did everything possible to make for a bland experience. I will be giving it another try.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

theironjef posted:

The gameplay is though. I've tried it several times, including stuff from all the boxes, and the thing it feels is clinical. There's nothing about the heroes that especially feels like any particular Marvel hero, and the locations are pretty much the same way. We were like gently caress it, let's have Moon Knight, Howard the Duck, Squirrel Girl, and America Chavez fight MODOK in Wakanda, and other than the minis looking pretty cool not a bit of that character came through. Every turn was just "Okay, Howard plays his card for the turn displaying Move and Punch, and uses the Wild from the last card in play. Just like Howard, who is known to move and punch." Granted there's a few text cards in each hero deck with text (Yondu's Yaka arrow goes clockwise around the board to each location in turn, destroying a thug in that location, continuing to do so until there's no thugs in the next location" but those cards are just three of each deck's twelve cards, the rest are just variations on Move, Punch, Heroic, and Wild.

This is part of why people recommend playing without the wild cards, I think - makes the unique cards a little more prominent. Also, FWIW, the heroes in the X-Men KS stuff will have 4 unique cards.

But I agree that that being the only variation means the heroes just feel mildly distinct and varied, not hugely so. One of the reasons I feel the price tag is so ridiculous.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

As someone who has little love for the Marvel license beyond watching some of the movies casually, I was fine with the mechanics being clinical. And yes, villains are where the replayability lies. Heroes aren’t all that different when you get down to it.

If you play sans wild cards I assume it increases difficulty a tad too? Doesn’t that mean you have a 10 card deck?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

djfooboo posted:

If you play sans wild cards I assume it increases difficulty a tad too? Doesn’t that mean you have a 10 card deck?

Sure does. That's the difficulty adjustment mechanic, in fact. No single wild is moderate difficulty, no double is hard, neither is "heroic".

By default I think the game is pretty easy as hobby games go so I think the general wisdom is you want to take out at least one wild card just on spec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Redundant posted:

Looking at this and Canvas seems like it might sneak past my No Kickstarter rule (along with the button shy set from earlier) because it looks like a simple and charming game.

I'm a bit disappointed the Deluxe version seems to come with things that change the game play (however slightly) because I probably won't bother with the wooden pieces. Not disappointed enough to not back though.
Canvas is pretty great. It's beautiful, pretty easy to understand, and short enough to entertain almost any audience.

The deluxe wooden components are really beautiful and feel great, but they are obviously unnecessary. The extra cards are a nice bonus, but I have yet to use the extra mechanical options.