Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

I had a woman (who's a supervisor of another department) start SCREAMING at me after I told her I got the vaccine. She kept saying "you can't make me get it!!" Because I told her "you're more likely to die from Covid than from an adverse reaction". I never told her to get it. Just said it was foolish. She was furious. I could see her shooting me or someone else.

America is broken and I doubt we'll ever recover.

I've seen behavior similar to this with addicts and stuff, and it's also part of a gaslighting technique really. If you say something that contravenes their version of reality, they flip out, to condition you not to challenge them.

Like my mom is an alcoholic, and she will often assert things that are not true, and the real answer is "because she got drunk" and then if you say "are you sure that's why you have the symptoms 100% congruent with a hangover" then she gets really upset, though usually it's putatively about something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ultimately, it's the fuckers who knew what they were doing when they weaponized this insanity that should face the harshest consequences if, in some fantasy world, those ever got meted out. Roger Stone, Jim Watkins, etc. should be tortured for as long as possible to even begin to match the horror* they and other truly sick, evil, grifting fuckers like him have wrought.

*Not that we should ever do this, of course. The idea is cathartic.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Halloween Jack posted:

This seems like a pointless argument. In what way can any individual American "take responsibility" for imperialism?

Well, not chanting "USA USA USA" all the god damned time and calling minorities and poor people lazy who get what they deserve because they don't work hard enough is a start. Basically, not being a conservative rear end in a top hat who lacks any trace of empathy and doesn't run around with ALL LIVES MATTER bumper stickers.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Well, not chanting "USA USA USA" all the god damned time and calling minorities and poor people lazy who get what they deserve because they don't work hard enough is a start. Basically, not being a conservative rear end in a top hat who lacks any trace of empathy and doesn't run around with ALL LIVES MATTER bumper stickers.

Not empty quoting

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I'm really having trouble feeling any sympathy for the people who get sucked into this nonsense. I mean, it's just so loving stupid. Like, absolutely brain dead dumb. Like I want to grift these people because they seem to have no goddamn common sense, but I just cant bring myself to do it because it'd be like scamming a child. Like these beliefs are the dumbest playground rumor nonsense you'd hear in like 4th grade. This is like "if you swallow a watermelon seed a watermelon will grow in your stomach" level bullshit is bringing the world to its knees and killing people. gently caress.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
https://mobile.twitter.com/jimstewartson/status/1382128591484297216?s=19

Also, there's a podcast about The Garden: https://open.spotify.com/show/4CqU4Gd9UbuP2NHnbZoKLp
e: poo poo, if anyone really wants to dive: https://linktr.ee/culttokhypehouse

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 14, 2021

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm really having trouble feeling any sympathy for the people who get sucked into this nonsense. I mean, it's just so loving stupid. Like, absolutely brain dead dumb. Like I want to grift these people because they seem to have no goddamn common sense, but I just cant bring myself to do it because it'd be like scamming a child. Like these beliefs are the dumbest playground rumor nonsense you'd hear in like 4th grade. This is like "if you swallow a watermelon seed a watermelon will grow in your stomach" level bullshit is bringing the world to its knees and killing people. gently caress.
I thought the same to myself like 20 years ago about the way country music was going and look at me now not being fuckin' rich

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Hey look, the CIA says Q is Ron Watkins

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1382352624603774983?s=19

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Agents are GO! posted:

I have trouble believing that a lot of these people truly believe any of this poo poo at all. It's more like a performative shared lie so they can feel like they have some sort of power and morality. That article comes to mind about obvious lie that the CEO of Proctor and Gamble declared his allegiance to Satan on Oprah, which, I'm sure, these exact same people claimed to believe and spread as far as they could so they could perpetuate the false narrative and make themselves feel/look good by comparison. Same thing likely applies to this whole mess, just on a larger scale.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2008/09/08/false-witnesses/

So, I think it's less about authoritarian idiots just believing anything, and more just an incredibly disingenuous lie they like to spread so they can feel less like the terrible people that they know they are, in comparison to pizza parlor blood sucking kitten burners, etc.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 14, 2021

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

They realise that Q has not always been Watkins tho right?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
maybe somebody should email them or something

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

exmachina posted:

This is a bit in the weeds, I think. To be like "in the early stages it was an amorphous trial balloon that would eventually turn into the weaponized poo poo-grift operation we all know it to be." I mean yeah, sure, but once it did coalesce it was the Watkins'.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Just waiting for the q-anoners to come up with I am Spartacus.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

pseudanonymous posted:

Just waiting for the q-anoners to come up with I am Spartacus.

Take a fall for a friend? We're talking about conservatives here.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mercury_Storm posted:

I have trouble believing that a lot of these people truly believe any of this poo poo at all. It's more like a performative shared lie so they can feel like they have some sort of power and morality. That article comes to mind about obvious lie that the CEO of Proctor and Gamble declared his allegiance to Satan on Oprah, which, I'm sure, these exact same people claimed to believe and spread as far as they could so they could perpetuate the false narrative and make themselves feel/look good by comparison. Same thing likely applies to this whole mess, just on a larger scale.

So, I think it's less about authoritarian idiots just believing anything, and more just an incredibly disingenuous lie they like to spread so they can feel less like the terrible people that they know they are, in comparison to pizza parlor blood sucking kitten burners, etc.
The same guy wrote a recent piece on moral panics that directly discusses Q and and how this idea can move from "pretending to believe the dumbest poo poo and not really doing much about it other than not buying Tide maybe" into actual real world violence.

quote:

The clearest illustration of this was an outbreak of Satanic Panic a generation after the Salem witch trials, one which lasted longer and was far deadlier and more gruesome in its toll: the New York Conspiracy Panic of 1741. The purported cause of this panic was a massive Jesuit conspiracy to lead New York City’s 2,000 enslaved persons in a revolt. There was never any evidence that such a conspiracy or revolt was really being planned, but mass hysteria seized white New Yorkers nonetheless because they all knew, with utter clarity and certainty, that a lethal slave revolt was what they deserved — what they had earned and what justice itself demanded if the most evident wrongs in their city were to be righted.

Moral panics are not sparked by sincere, well-meaning convictions of those who wish to see wrongs righted and justice done. They are sparked by the sincere, inescapable conviction that, in the words of the prophet Amos, the day of justice would be, for them, darkness and not light. The recognition that justice would not mean well for us.

At least in part, they believed in Q because they'd rather believe in satanic adrenochrome tunnel Clinton Illuminati cabinet retailers than that Black lives matter.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Guavanaut posted:

The same guy wrote a recent piece on moral panics that directly discusses Q and and how this idea can move from "pretending to believe the dumbest poo poo and not really doing much about it other than not buying Tide maybe" into actual real world violence.

At least in part, they believed in Q because they'd rather believe in satanic adrenochrome tunnel Clinton Illuminati cabinet retailers than that Black lives matter.

Yeah, I think a previous post comparing this type of behaviour to gaslighting is pretty apt. As they get more and more desperate to defend their false narrative and distorted worldview when it becomes untenable, they'll resort to violence to avoid literal truth or justice.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

This is a bit in the weeds, I think. To be like "in the early stages it was an amorphous trial balloon that would eventually turn into the weaponized poo poo-grift operation we all know it to be." I mean yeah, sure, but once it did coalesce it was the Watkins'.

4chan and 8chan use tripcodes to identify unique users, so by the time Q is posting as Q, we can say with confidence that either one person or a close-knit group sharing a password are authoring these posts.

Watkins basically highjacked Q, either with permission of the original authors or not, when he launched 8kun after the chch murders.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

There's a good Twitter account that analyzes the earliest Q drops. When Q first started posting, they didn't use a Tripcode. However, at the time 4chan's /pol/ had an ID system that's still active to this day. The ID is similar to a Tripcode, except every user is assigned one and it's persistent throughout the thread/session.

Q's earliest posts are identified by the board ID, but it changes from thread-to-thread. AFAIK this is why there are 'lost' Q posts, because there's no consistent ID to search for and Q didn't always sign their posts.
https://twitter.com/QOrigins/status/1311144252923981824

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Euphoriaphone posted:

There's a good Twitter account that analyzes the earliest Q drops. When Q first started posting, they didn't use a Tripcode. However, at the time 4chan's /pol/ had an ID system that's still active to this day. The ID is similar to a Tripcode, except every user is assigned one and it's persistent throughout the thread/session.

Q's earliest posts are identified by the board ID, but it changes from thread-to-thread. AFAIK this is why there are 'lost' Q posts, because there's no consistent ID to search for and Q didn't always sign their posts.
https://twitter.com/QOrigins/status/1311144252923981824

Thanks for the link. I am always interested in internet anthropology, and Q will be a study for a while I think.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Figured Q stopped posting cause he knew the FBI was going to be on his rear end soon.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

exmachina posted:

possibly. early Q was probably some shitposters copying off each other. the one that pushed it to 8chan/etc was watkins and the most poisonous one.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Despera posted:

Figured Q stopped posting cause he knew the FBI was going to be on his rear end soon.

Did Q actually stop posting?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I tried Googling if Q still posts and I can't really find anything other than the fact that you can only visit 8chan via a tor web browser lol. That must have completely killed traffic for the site, no?

Like has Q posted since January 6th? Serious question, sorry I'm legitimately finding it difficult to Google for some reason.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Q officially hasn’t posted since December 8

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Take a fall for a friend? We're talking about conservatives here.

For sure if they see it that way. But what if they see it as patriotism, and most importantly, think there will be no consequences? They'd probably live-stream themselves taking the pledge.

I mean, you'd think nobody would be stupid enough to proudly film themselves doing a treason, except those people who invaded the US capitol, doing a treason, live-streaming it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Mercury_Storm posted:

lmao gently caress i learnt something new, apparently there used to be a rumor circulating that P&G CEO worshipped satan, and this turned out to have been spread by Amway distributors (a company that is actually run by a family of blood-drinking satanists).

Sometimes there is an actual financial incentive for conspiracists to conspire to spread conspiracy theories.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
To be honest I always assumed those "the KKK funds Snapple Iced Tea" and "Mountain Dew reduces your sperm count" rumors were started by competitors.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

pseudanonymous posted:

For sure if they see it that way. But what if they see it as patriotism, and most importantly, think there will be no consequences? They'd probably live-stream themselves taking the pledge.

I mean, you'd think nobody would be stupid enough to proudly film themselves doing a treason, except those people who invaded the US capitol, doing a treason, live-streaming it.

You're not wrong

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

exmachina posted:

4chan and 8chan use tripcodes to identify unique users, so by the time Q is posting as Q, we can say with confidence that either one person or a close-knit group sharing a password are authoring these posts.

Watkins basically highjacked Q, either with permission of the original authors or not, when he launched 8kun after the chch murders.

Right I think it comes down to an understanding of when was Q's influence over the credulous at critical mass and who was in control during that time frame. My understanding is that the Watkins' had hijacked it already by the time the dude tried the Hoover Dam thing in June 2018. Is that incorrect/am I looking at it wrong?

tigersklaw
May 8, 2008

Moose-Alini posted:

Q officially hasn’t posted since December 8

So do the Q people think he’s dead/under arrest by THEM/secretly in hiding/ascended to another plane of existence/something equally stupid?

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Valtonen posted:

Around the US*

Thank loving God this cancer has only relatively few remote tumors. Not saying there arent any but the trumpcult is still majority US.

Oh, don't worry about that. We're really good at exporting our misery.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
It seems like an obvious hole in their theory crafting of the military intel team that runs Q, but I think the idea of endless Q drops through the Biden presidency is so disheartening that they ignore the silence from Q.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Watkins could have simply Posted through it, but he knows everyone knows the open secret that Watkins is Q, and he would rather slink back into the shadows and pretend that Q was all the friends we made along the way, than have the entire withering gaze of the mainstream media directed at him and all his hosed up pecularities of being a sexpat living in the phillipines.

I mean CNN loving revels every time some stupid chud gets arrested for the Capitol riot, no matter how small their contribution. Watkins could not withstand it.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

lmao gently caress i learnt something new, apparently there used to be a rumor circulating that P&G CEO worshipped satan, and this turned out to have been spread by Amway distributors (a company that is actually run by a family of blood-drinking satanists).

Sometimes there is an actual financial incentive for conspiracists to conspire to spread conspiracy theories.

The lead industry spread fluoridation panic, mineral interests spread catastrophism/infinite earth as well as the dumb version of peak oil, flat earth is spread by sermon-sellers.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Apr 15, 2021

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

tigersklaw posted:

So do the Q people think he’s dead/under arrest by THEM/secretly in hiding/ascended to another plane of existence/something equally stupid?
Honestly? They don't know or care where Q is now, because what is and always has been the most important is baking the drops.

Like, a new popular theory is that Q predicted Prince Phillip's death a year ago. The prophesies are more important than the prophet

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

tigersklaw posted:

No, the deep state could never stop him. He's just in hiding, you see. Any day now...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Froghammer posted:

Honestly? They don't know or care where Q is now, because what is and always has been the most important is baking the drops.

It looks to me like they've largely moved on from even needing Q himself anymore. They've cut out the middleman and have gone straight to "making up whatever they want, and declaring it true".

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Man creates god in their own image

tigersklaw
May 8, 2008

Froghammer posted:

Like, a new popular theory is that Q predicted Prince Phillip's death a year ago. The prophesies are more important than the prophet

That’s incredible. He knew a 99 year old man would die? My eyes are now open

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

tigersklaw posted:

That’s incredible. He knew a 99 year old man would die? My eyes are now open

It was an impressive prediction though. He only died because the adrenochrome got held up in the Suez Canal during a military operation by patriots, which we knew would happen because the ships name, Ever Given, was a reference to Hilary Clinton's Secret Service code name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

OctaMurk posted:

It was an impressive prediction though. He only died because the adrenochrome got held up in the Suez Canal during a military operation by patriots, which we knew would happen because the ships name, Ever Given, was a reference to Hilary Clinton's Secret Service code name.

Q would be fascinating if it weren't so pathological.