Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

flatluigi posted:

Is there a page on the wiki somewhere that just has all the different unlocks that give starting items/upgrades to characters?

not *exactly* what you're asking for but very useful anyway

https://bindingofisaacrebirth.fandom.com/wiki/Characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

drat i've been using platinum god for years and had no idea it had all those useful search tags. i would usually find an unknown item by searching for its item pool but this works better

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
I think this is definitely the best this game has been since the original rebirth release, and I've been playing pretty obsessively. The item pool being rebalanced and enhanced with fun and actually useful new stuff is so important to why this game is engaging for me again. There are some nerfs that are a bummer like brimstone, tech x, the nail, but it's more fun for the game to have a wider ranger of options that often still sync into broken silly easy wins than to always be hoping for small pool of items that let you win the game amidst a sea of mediocre garbage you have to keep skipping. It's also clear that the new final bosses were just thought out better than say Delirium, who still stands out to me as the low point of the game.

My only big complaints are a) Jacob and Esau, b) Mother's 1st phase is way too cramped and I don't know how I'm going to beat her as the Lost, c) A lot of the fun new unlocks that add a ton of variety to the pickups and shops are really deep into the unlock tree, I almost wish they'd just made more of the new cards / crane game etc available out the gate.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ArfJason posted:

not *exactly* what you're asking for but very useful anyway

https://bindingofisaacrebirth.fandom.com/wiki/Characters

i had been using that page but couldn't find the exact info i was looking for in a simple list, so here it is for anyone else:

quote:

Cain: Paper Clip -- Donate 68 coins to the Greed Donation Machine
Eve: Razor Blade -- Donate 439 coins to the Greed Donation Machine, after unlocking it by beating Satan with Eve
Lost: Holy Mantle+Eternal D6 -- Donate 879 coins to the Greed Donation Machine

Maggy: Health Up Pill -- Beat the Aprils Fool challenge
Samson: Child's Heart -- Beat the Ultra Hard challenge
Lazarus: Anemic -- Beat the Backasswards challenge

Isaac: D6 -- Beat Isaac with ???
Keeper: Wooden Nickel -- Beat Isaac with Keeper
Keeper: Store Key -- Beat Satan with Keeper
Keeper: Third Coin Heart -- Beat Hush with Keeper

of course now that i've actually made the list it looks like i've already gotten most of them

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Cat Got Your Tongue is a bad challenge for bad people

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Sharkitten posted:

Cat Got Your Tongue is a bad challenge for bad people

Like most bad challenges, I've been holding down R until I got a good curse room/devil deal item, like lil brim, rotten Baby or succubus

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

can you still use co-op babies to cheat at those challenges?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Fun fact: if you find a room with 2 Angel Statues and bomb them at the same time... they only drop one key piece. Thank god I found Dad's Key at the Chest or else bye bye Mega Satan as ???.

And oh god I realized just now I either have to beat Mega Satan with Afterbirth+ Keeper, or beat Mega Satan with armor and Jacob&Esau, which everyone says are completely unfun for Mega Blast :negative:

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Accidentally disconnected the controller during an J&E run and then Esau became stuck and unable to move. After exit and continue the game became a coop one with me controlling Esau. gently caress you then, game, if you cheat then I will too - I could just play with one character, the other would inevitably die but then turn into a coop baby. :five:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Fun fact: if you find a room with 2 Angel Statues and bomb them at the same time... they only drop one key piece. Thank god I found Dad's Key at the Chest or else bye bye Mega Satan as ???.

And oh god I realized just now I either have to beat Mega Satan with Afterbirth+ Keeper, or beat Mega Satan with armor and Jacob&Esau, which everyone says are completely unfun for Mega Blast :negative:
The second option will be infinitely less painful. The spoilered character is challenging to play in absolute terms, but nowhere near as hard as AB+ Keeper and a lot more fun.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

J&E are much worse than AB+ Keeper. I think they might also be worse than AB Lost - at least Lost becomes a reasonable character if you reroll for Holy Mantle, while there's no single item that fixes J&E.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This is probably a old item but there's one that says Bleed Me Dry and drains all my red hearts. I've picked it up twice now and I still didn't really realize what it does so can someone just tell me so I can stop killing myself trying to figure it out?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Blood Oath, it looks like a crucifix with a bloody blade at the bottom. At the start of every floor you'll lose all your red health except 1 half of a heart, and gain damage + speed for that floor proportional to how much health you lost. Pretty awful item, particularly bad on Hard Mode with how scarce red hearts are.

No Wave posted:

It's one of the two items I always skip. The other being anti-gravity tears. I'll even take my reflection sometimes, but never those two.
Anti-grav is a huge pain in the rear end but I did find out it's at least very good against The Beast.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

its really good if you have soul hearts or an item that makes it easier to refill your red hearts

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess it's very good if you have Placenta and are prepared to take a lot time.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

On the one hand I like that you can get a cool unlock on the final ending route without actually having to beat the boss, but on the other I keep hitting situations where I would have beat the boss if I hadn't had to drop my sun card/I'm drowsy pill/whatever to pick up the key shard.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

J&E are much worse than AB+ Keeper. I think they might also be worse than AB Lost - at least Lost becomes a reasonable character if you reroll for Holy Mantle, while there's no single item that fixes J&E.
I think you are literally the only person in the thread who believes this, though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Does Forgotten not have an alt?

I've gotten to Home three times and the chest had mom items, not the key. I even tried without having a trinket and no go.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Inzombiac posted:

Does Forgotten not have an alt?

I've gotten to Home three times and the chest had mom items, not the key. I even tried without having a trinket and no go.

You have to leave a trinket in one of the boss or item rooms on the way down, and on the way up that will change to the item you need. The item in the chest is usually not the one you need on subsequent runs.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

I think you are literally the only person in the thread who believes this, though.
I got all the checkmarks for Keeper on AB+ without much issue but I've been struggling to even get J&E through the Dark Room on Hard. That might be partly because of the Hard Mode changes, but there were also a bunch of items that made Keeper very easy (Swallowed Penny, Head of the Keeper etc) while I don't think there's a single equivalent for J&E. You just take a lot more hits than any other character and your damage scales terribly.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I’m the exact opposite - I got every mark for AB+ Keeper but found it excruciating because I needed one of those very specific items to have a chance, then one mistake on a hard boss would cost me the whole run, and then it would be back to the miserable grind (with 0.8 speed) for another run with a chance. But because Jacob and Esau don’t demand that kind of perfection, they “only” heavily nerf speed and defensive items, mess up your hitbox, and punish you for getting separated, I’ve been finding them difficult but manageable. I think unwinnable Jacob and Esau runs are much rarer than unwinnable AB+ Keeper runs.

Their damage really doesn’t scale badly, though, I think both characters have Isaac’s damage multiplier. Functionally you have double damage in the early game and slightly increased damage in the late game, more if you get lucky with tears ups, double item rooms, active items, or rerolls. Double damage in the early game means the most boring part of the run is over quickly and you can easily secure your first devil deal, which I love.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jacob and Esau are not nearly as punishing as Keeper was

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Another bad challenge I am very glad I never have to do again is XXXXXXXXL. The challenge was being boring as gently caress I guess

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Sooooooo pissed. Doing the nameless glitched challenge and twice in a row have had it ruined by crashing, both times in the final floor.

The first time I had a weird but solid build, had to leave the game, and when I went back in it crashed whenever I loaded.

Second game I had uncovered most of the final floor and couldn't have been more than a couple rooms from the boss. Due to an insane item interaction, I could endlessy proc the pac-man invincibility+heal state. Endlessly. Literally couldn't be hurt.

Game crashed in a random room near the end and won't load.

What a dumbass, broken slog of a challenge

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

haha neat

safety scissors disarm the big bombs final boss war throws at you and you can pick them up and throw them back. bomb icon even changes when you pick one up.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

They have all the tools to make a Mouser SMB2 fight and they chickened out :mad:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
You can also do that to the mega bomb guys in ashpit.

Also mario 2 usa sucks balls

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

jacob and esau approx. 10 times harder than keeper ever was

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I think J&E can be kind of fun but I have no idea how one is supposed to make to boss rush or hush in time since it feels like you have to play really carefully.

New Keeper can be fun and pretty easy to abuse sacrifice rooms assuming you get lucky with money/wooden nickel and are good at dodging hits.

J&E left a really sour first impression since my first time playing them was in that Seeing Doubles challenge and, thanks to the nerf to 20/20 and increased enemy count, they were just miserable to play.

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 15, 2021

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Jacob and Esau are straight-up one of my favorite characters. They basically have pre-nerf 20/20, and get 2x room for everything including active items, and can get both items from alt-path floors. Them splitting up has just... barely ever been an issue outside of The Clog's water whirling attack. When they get split up you just push against a wall or hold L and rejoin.

Calling them worse than AB+ Keeper is just... wild. Are yall playing on the keyboard? Because I use a controller and I wonder if analog movement makes them dramatically easier to handle or something.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Finally managed to unlock Forgotten, all it took was a solid damage run + Wafer to stop the hella bleed of my health from Mom stomps.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ArfJason posted:

Also mario 2 usa sucks balls

gently caress u

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i really never thought keeper was very hard. def easier clearing all his hard marks than the lost. jacob and esau are the only characters where sometimes i cant clear the heart

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jacob and Esau just feel janky and miserable to me, I don't think I'm going to be able to clear their completion marks without cheating. :negative:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I didn't find them too bad to take through The Lamb or whatever, but some of the super bosses seem like they'll be a nightmare with J&E.

Speaking of which, what's the deal with that Damocles item? If you ever take any damage after using it you might be killed at any moment? Thematic, but sounds like something you'd never want to use on characters other than the lost.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Pretty much. It's very thematic and also an item I would never take under any circumstances. I feel like I get it all the goddamn time with the D4 and dice rooms though.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

I didn't find them too bad to take through The Lamb or whatever, but some of the super bosses seem like they'll be a nightmare with J&E.

Speaking of which, what's the deal with that Damocles item? If you ever take any damage after using it you might be killed at any moment? Thematic, but sounds like something you'd never want to use on characters other than the lost.

Yeah, taking it without holy mantle or extra lives is a terrible idea, as much fun as the extra items are.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
drat, spaced out and thought the Cracked Key was a trinket. Ended up back home without it... Was a good run, even if I didn't end up beating the final final boss. Never played Keeper before Repentance but it's actually pretty fun. Burned through the penultimate boss with Chocolate Milk, Mom's Contacts, Ghost Pepper, and Technology. Was never able to turn my luck positive, otherwise would've had a better time with all the fire and petrify procs. Next time, for sure.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I spent two hours last night just holding R in Ultra Hard. I don't think I can actually do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm a big fan of most of the tainted characters but some of them just seem like, not fun at all, at the end of the day it's pretty whatever though since no ones forcing me to do a completed note on them all or anything but eh.

Eden and Lazerus come to mind of the ones I unlocked. Eden would be better if your health could go up but it can only go down so you can death spiral really easily and I don't like that..

And unless I'm misunderstanding something, Laz just seems tedious..Maybe if the flip had less charge time it'd be more bearable but nothing is more miserable in this game than doing rooms with bad/few items and even if you perfectly balance your item load between each laz you'll still be roughly half as powerful at any moment than any other character...idk.