Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Noin ruled outside of her affection for Lieutenant Dingdong. Everything else was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Arcsquad12 posted:

The toonami ED for 0079 makes me laugh because they sampled the piano from Pathetic but Decisive and laid it over this weird industrial beat track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXI77dCbDww
I like how they made custom intros for every gundam series they showed that were only 30-45 seconds long and showcased all the action they possibly could, even for series like 0080 that don't have all that much action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11aXcupxH-o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmP9g2VwZGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-cwJD3oHL8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-M2wLj9x6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2-rd1e69hU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah I remember the line edits for wing, I'd watch the show right after school back then. Man it was so fun being excited for shows like wing and G back then, constantly speculating what was going to happen next.

CHIMlord
Jul 1, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

if those girls were interested in any of the female characters it was probably noin or une

I remember back in the day the girls were mostly interested in which of the Gundam pilots were gay lovers. Gundam Wing was pretty much my introduction to the yaoi fandom. Thanks, Anime Web Turnpike!

No shade though, since we wouldn't have Gundam as it is without shojo anime or fujoshi.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Peter Cullen using his Optimus Prime voice to growl "In War, everyone's a casualty" for the 0080 promo is great.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I remember and love all of those, except for 0080.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUn7KgXhwwI

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Noin ruled outside of her affection for Lieutenant Dingdong. Everything else was great.

Lieutenant Char-Speedrun-Any-Percent

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Stairmaster posted:

if those girls were interested in any of the female characters it was probably noin or une

I was all about Relena as a teen girl and, to be honest, I still really like Relena. I really liked and still all the female characters on Wing overall though.

CHIMlord posted:

I remember back in the day the girls were mostly interested in which of the Gundam pilots were gay lovers. Gundam Wing was pretty much my introduction to the yaoi fandom. Thanks, Anime Web Turnpike!

No shade though, since we wouldn't have Gundam as it is without shojo anime or fujoshi.

Wow way to give me horrible flashbacks to arguing for my favorites online before giving up and being forever annoyed that there was never Relena/Dorothy shrines on Angelfire.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Zechs' special nickname was "the lightning baron" right? Does anyone ever call him that after you're told he gets called that sometimes?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's such a strange nickname, too. like, oz was infested with nobility and zechs was pretending not to be one of them.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

dogsicle posted:

seems pretty boring to skimp on an actual ED for a tweaked instrumental of the OP. also means all that great Relena art was just dropped.

All the Toonami animes had weird 15-30 second Toonami branded techno montages for "OPs" and usually converted the original OPs into 45 second instrumental EDs.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Wow way to give me horrible flashbacks to arguing for my favorites online before giving up and being forever annoyed that there was never Relena/Dorothy shrines on Angelfire.

And Dorothy/Relena has way more evidence for it than any gay male ships in GW. Well, it is mostly on Dorothy's end because Dorothy is the best.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dorothy didn't realize that constant threats of murder is the only thing that gets relena going.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

It's lame how only dudes get special robots in Wing. Noin deserved better than the Taurus.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Droyer posted:

It's lame how only dudes get special robots in Wing. Noin deserved better than the Taurus.

I mean the Taurus would be a beast in most other Gundam settings, it just has the bad luck to share a setting with the Virgos which is one of the most BS mass production units to ever grace a Gundam series

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

NikkolasKing posted:

Dorothy is the best.

'You're lower than a dog, you're the tail that gets wagged' :allears:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't think the Taurus is that much of a downgrade, but none of the Meteor suits are that cool to me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there a good Virgo gunpla kit out yet using the Leo base they made a few years ago?

I love how the design of Oz suits in Wing all have the thick thighs with thrusters on them to mimic the look of jodhpurs and riding breeches fitting with their snazzy 19th century nobility anesthetics.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is there a good Virgo gunpla kit out yet using the Leo base they made a few years ago?

No, but the (p-bandai) Mercurius and Vayeate came out pretty recently, so there's hope.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

In general I have always liked the specialization in Wing's grunt suits. While I definitely would have loved Noin getting cool Gundam knockoff, the Taurus isn't the worst thing. Seed also has some neat variations popping up now thst I'm getting further in to it. Victory is up there for me too and is definitely it's really nice bright spot.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Give us new Rig Shokew and Abigor models Bandai.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Tulalip Tulips posted:

In general I have always liked the specialization in Wing's grunt suits. While I definitely would have loved Noin getting cool Gundam knockoff, the Taurus isn't the worst thing. Seed also has some neat variations popping up now thst I'm getting further in to it. Victory is up there for me too and is definitely it's really nice bright spot.

The weird thing about Wing is that it didn't even really have any notable mass produced variants, like custom Leos or Tauruses. The extent of customization seemed to be a different paint job, and maybe a slightly different gun. The Maganac Corps are the only units to have any real customization going on, and they were all customized, so they didn't even really have a standard unit.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Dear Gunpla: give me Cancer

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tsob posted:

The weird thing about Wing is that it didn't even really have any notable mass produced variants, like custom Leos or Tauruses. The extent of customization seemed to be a different paint job, and maybe a slightly different gun. The Maganac Corps are the only units to have any real customization going on, and they were all customized, so they didn't even really have a standard unit.

I'm wondering if this was something to do with the scope of the conflict? The scale of the conflicts seemed very limited, starting with guerrilla action by the Gundams, then OZ overthrowing the Alliance, the Sanc Kingdom getting torched for harboring Alliance defectors, the Treize/Tubarov split, and finally the White Fang vs Treize Faction conflict. Aside from the last conflict, none of those were exactly sweeping general mobilization affairs like the One Year War in the UC, and the final battle was a bit of "lets smash everything we have together and see who comes out on top!"

Most of the advancement in series was the production of additional suits in the constellation series, culminating in the Virgo and Virgo II. Because the scope of these conflicts were limited, you didn't need the sheer number of Leos like you needed Zaku II or GMs, nor did you need to refit older Leos after the Virgo came out--just slap a mobile doll controller in them and call it a day, the Virgo is orders of magnitude better and we have enough to field them exclusively as our frontline troops. It's not like Zeon who couldn't actually produce enough Gelgoogs and Rick Doms to supply their already strapped forces at the end of the war and needed to refit and upgrade existing Zaku II's to keep them competitive with the GM. (Or field literal trash cans with thrusters and guns piloted by the Hitler Ghiren Youth like the Oggo.)

And the other source of custom variants, ace pilots, don't seem to exist in Wing, or they're all just given Gundams. In fact, the only ace that doesn't get a Gundam is Noin.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The G-Unit manga has custom ace Leos and they absolutely kick rear end.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

CHIMlord posted:

Wasn't it a thing where people who wrote Gundam Wing fanfics that pairs up the boys makes Relena and the other girls act OOC and be terrible just to justify their chosen pairing?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

amigolupus posted:

Wasn't it a thing where people who wrote Gundam Wing fanfics that pairs up the boys makes Relena and the other girls act OOC and be terrible just to justify their chosen pairing?

That's literally part of every shipping fanbase.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

amigolupus posted:

Yeah, that was a big thing but there were a lot who didn't. Relena got the most hate of all the female characters and definitely had a couple of OTT hate shrines. Wufei also had an absolutely insane hate shrine and people argued a lot about ships, who topped who, and other things. It got weird and wanky sometimes. At least one YA author started off in Gundam Wing fandom and I would absolutely not be surprised if more older YA authors did too. For some segments of nerdy women who were preteens-young adults in the late 90s to early 00s, Gundam Wing was their first big online fandom along with Harry Potter and/or the Lord of the Rings movies.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hating wufei is just common sense.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

they hated him because of his doctrine

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

which hp/got house would each gundam wing character belong to

:psypop:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Argas posted:

I used to have a sound clip of Duo saying "the God of Death is back again" presumably when he gets the Deathscythe Hell and because I was an edgy teen I put it as my windows startup sound.

But I only saw the version that had the Great Destroyer.

AHEM it is "The Great Destroyer is back again!" versus "the God of Death is back from Hell!"

Szmitten posted:

All the Toonami animes had weird 15-30 second Toonami branded techno montages for "OPs" and usually converted the original OPs into 45 second instrumental EDs.

This is kind of rooted in Voltron which made its own Opening using bits and pieces of footage from everywhere while its ending pulled from GoLion's opening pretty much exclusively.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Argas posted:

which hp/got house would each gundam wing character belong to

:psypop:

i think byleth would marry noin

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there any UC material outside of the Gihren's Greed and a few other Gundam games that focuses on the non Mobile Suit side of the One Year War? They're the defining symbol of the conflict but it's also the first and last real conventional war that the franchise ever really dealt with. Until September 0079 the majority of the conflict on the Federation side was fought with tanks, aircraft, ships and infantry. Are there any stories that focus on just how pants shittingly terrifying the war was before conventional warfare gave way to the age of the Mobile Suit?

Also, the Toonami talk brought me around to the final scenes and ED from 0080 and now I'm crying over a senseless waste of hamburgers.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is there any UC material outside of the Gihren's Greed and a few other Gundam games that focuses on the non Mobile Suit side of the One Year War? They're the defining symbol of the conflict but it's also the first and last real conventional war that the franchise ever really dealt with. Until September 0079 the majority of the conflict on the Federation side was fought with tanks, aircraft, ships and infantry. Are there any stories that focus on just how pants shittingly terrifying the war was before conventional warfare gave way to the age of the Mobile Suit?

Also, the Toonami talk brought me around to the final scenes and ED from 0080 and now I'm crying over a senseless waste of hamburgers.

Iron Mustang. Focuses on a Wappa pilot. Mobile Suits show up, but the Zakus are always a big deal when they show.

Also, IGLOO II's first two episodes. But it's still, you know, Igloo. So it's not exactly good looking.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arcsquad12 posted:

That book of photographs from the OYW deals with it a bit

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Gripweed posted:

The G-Unit manga has custom ace Leos and they absolutely kick rear end.

Not enough people know about the Smallgeese

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't think I ever understood what made the gundams special in Wing, because they easily had material to make a gundam like 10 episodes in, including Zechs making a fake Wing Gundam just to fool people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

I don't think I ever understood what made the gundams special in Wing, because they easily had material to make a gundam like 10 episodes in, including Zechs making a fake Wing Gundam just to fool people

Teenagers with attitude, clearly.

(Did the fake Wing have Gundanium Alloy made in outer space?)