Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

It's very cool and good that corruption is rare enough in the US that I don't expect to pay bribes as an individual, but I'm pretty sure a lot of that is just veneer. Haven't any of you ever had a sales rep take you out to lunch? That's basically the same deal, just with some different rituals to make things feel more palatable to us.

lightpole posted:

...in India the black gangs raided the slop chest...

What does this extremely fox news headline looking phrase mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

kraken! posted:

It's very cool and good that corruption is rare enough in the US that I don't expect to pay bribes as an individual, but I'm pretty sure a lot of that is just veneer. Haven't any of you ever had a sales rep take you out to lunch? That's basically the same deal, just with some different rituals to make things feel more palatable to us.

What does this extremely fox news headline looking phrase mean?

Port state as de facto organized crime.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

lightpole posted:

Port state as de facto organized crime.

Ah cool, thanks.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

kraken! posted:

It's very cool and good that corruption is rare enough in the US

What is political lobbying?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

M_Gargantua posted:

They've got those "nonlethal" microwave pain beams that cause permanent damage mounted to their SUVs.

That would be the first domestic deployment or even confirmation of the existence of a mini unit right

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

No see that’s different, because rich people do it.

Having dabbled in the lobbying game, let me tell you, poor people would have it a lot better if they could afford lobbyists.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

SchnorkIes posted:

That would be the first domestic deployment or even confirmation of the existence of a mini unit right

No idea but it was the classic square body microwave pain ray antenna mounted to the front of one of the big SUVs on a gimble arm (not on top which was weird?). Was on the UR stream

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

FrozenVent posted:

No see that’s different, because rich people do it.

Having dabbled in the lobbying game, let me tell you, poor people would have it a lot better if they could afford lobbyists.

I would say theoretically its different because its generally legal but I'm not really going to discuss that part. More curious if the erosion of public trust in the state and society still occur in that case, is it the legality of something, its perceived fairness, both, or neither that matter?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Most people just aren’t aware of it. We know from popular culture that a politician accepting a briefcase full of cash is bad, but we don’t really wonder who actually writes regulations.

I mean the lobbyists don’t write it, but they certainly take part in the consultative process, you know?

And it’s not like the government has a team of experts ready to discuss how to best regulate this brand new aspect of industry operation.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

M_Gargantua posted:

No idea but it was the classic square body microwave pain ray antenna mounted to the front of one of the big SUVs on a gimble arm (not on top which was weird?). Was on the UR stream

https://twitter.com/Patriot3Inc/status/870321432135421954?s=20

It wasn't something like this was it? I can't find whatever it was in the stream.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/StatusCoup/status/1382541011419869184

gently caress the police, full abolition, put an end to this poo poo rear end carceral state

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

It’s healthy to get feedback from folks who are impacted by regulations. There are some FDA regs around how to develop software that I had to deal with that were cutting edge for the 90s but haven’t changed since then and so the actual effect is to lower the quality rather than raise it. Some lobbying there would both lower costs for companies and reduce the risk of bad data getting submitted.. The problem is that it turns pretty quickly into only people who pay have a meaningful voice.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Almost like capitalism bad

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

I was more going for an example more people have first hand experience with but yeah, exactly. Even if Americans don't usually interact with corruption unless they're acting as representatives of businesses or directly for rich people, corruption is still all around us. There's a bunch of tacit rules and dress up around it but it works just the same.

e: and it's a bad thing

pygmy tyrant fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 15, 2021

slorb
May 14, 2002
If you want an example of how bribery erodes the effectiveness of government there's an amazing new yorker essay about a local garbage man in Egypt from a few years ago that's well worth reading.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/10/13/tales-trash

The garbage collection system in the piece has been so twisted by routine bribery at every level that despite the government paying millions of dollars for garbage collection the guys actually collecting garbage receive no salary and have to pay fixers for the right to their jobs. They depend on tips, reselling valuable garbage, and extorting customers who throw out embarrassing stuff to make an actual living.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/MaritsaPatrinos/status/1382362006217445380

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Platystemon posted:

Remember when TASERs were talked about as “less lethal” alternatives to guns and police weren’t supposed to use them for compliance and torture but only in situations in which they would otherwise shoot to kill?

Must have been before my time

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

FrozenVent posted:

Proposal: Now that's a goon project I'd like to see.
Reality: Couldn't actually be worse than it is currently

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

kraken! posted:

It's very cool and good that corruption is rare enough in the US that I don't expect to pay bribes as an individual,

Check out this doofus who isn’t wealthy lol

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

https://twitter.com/therealssgjoker/status/1382529085646143489?s=19

lol

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Is he single? Cause I think I'm in love.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I like this guy

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

https://twitter.com/StatusCoup/status/1382541011419869184

gently caress the police, full abolition, put an end to this poo poo rear end carceral state

In the broad strokes, this recalls the police crackdown on last year's Hong Kong protests in a way that I am struggling to put my finger on. I think it's the bubbly black plastic armor they're wearing. Maybe it's troops in black violently putting down a citizen protest over valid complaints explicitly naming the media as a distinct group of targets that makes me think of Chinese authoritarianism. Very scary stuff to me.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

bird food bathtub posted:

Is he single? Cause I think I'm in love.

Better do so soon before the cops execute him

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Proposal: Now that's a goon project I'd like to see.
Reality: Couldn't actually be worse than it is currently
What could go wrong?
news: Opening day of zipline-based public transit intended to fix food deserts leaves thousands injured, dead

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

If the rich gently caress didnt want to get dropped he shouldnt have kept screaming "faster peasant" in my ear on the zipline. Sounds like its working perfectly

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Not our fault that the users couldn't hold on to the Crisco-branded grip pads. If the city wanted fewer sponsorships to defray to costs, and fewer death and dismemberment cases, they should've invested more funding into the project.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1382701771001319427?s=19

Edit2: removed the Chauvin carbon monoxide stuff, minor goofy poo poo in the trial that got nixed by the judge

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 15, 2021

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

What are the implications of this?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

US Berder Patrol posted:

What are the implications of this?

None, putting the defendant on the stand is often a bad strategy since it allows the prosecution to question them too, and they rarely come out looking good.

The defence is done now, the prosecution has some rebuttal evidence to present, then after that it’s closing statements, jury instructions and deliberation.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

FrozenVent posted:

None, putting the defendant on the stand is often a bad strategy since it allows the prosecution to question them too, and they rarely come out looking good.

The defence is done now, the prosecution has some rebuttal evidence to present, then after that it’s closing statements, jury instructions and deliberation.

thanks, I'm not much of a courts understander

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

FrozenVent posted:

The lovely thing about rebuttal - the defense basically said "hurf blurf might've been carbon monoxide poisoning" in a dumb bullshit way. The prosecution got a call this morning that the hospital tested Floyd's blood at the time and it obviously wasn't carbon monoxide poisoning from test results. But the hospital hosed up and never gave either side those results, so they can't be admitted. Judge ruled that the defense announced their hurfing and blurfing ahead of time and the hospital/prosecution should've followed up ages ago to get that information.

So the rebuttal prosecution doctor can say "hey, he was nowhere close to the tailpipe, this is dumb" but if he references a test result, it's a mistrial on the spot.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Carbon monoxide poisoning sounds like murder anyway if he was pinned to the ground and couldn’t get away from the carbon monoxide.

I also have no idea what you’re talking about because I have been trying not to follow too closely but is it as stupid as I’m imagining?

E: a trip down the Twittersphere indicates it might be dumber than I thought.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

US Berder Patrol posted:

thanks, I'm not much of a courts understander

I saw an article before the trial started saying that because of the video of him with his lovely attitude while doing the murder it would be extra unlikely that they'll put him on the stand. They don't want him to have to answer "why were you smirking while you choked the last of that man's life out of his body?"

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1382706899850780681?s=21

How the gently caress does that even work

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1382670554205990917?s=20

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

It's a legal thing. The idea is that before the trial starts, the defense and prosecution state their experts, what they'll likely say, and they both plan accordingly. That way, neither side is witholding evidence from the other, and the prosecution can't just saying "lol your expert testified wrong because I forgot to give you this magic evidence".

The defense would've never mentioned carbon monoxide if they had the test results that the prosecution kept from them (by accident).

It won't be a big deal though as long as the prosecution doesn't mention the test on the rebuttal. They already had an expert that said "hey, the pulse-oximeter showed that the oxygen concentration was right" which gets you to the same place.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Why do we all talk like he's not gonna walk free and be on Fox every night

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

facialimpediment posted:

It's a legal thing. The idea is that before the trial starts, the defense and prosecution state their experts, what they'll likely say, and they both plan accordingly. That way, neither side is witholding evidence from the other, and the prosecution can't just saying "lol your expert testified wrong because I forgot to give you this magic evidence".

The defense would've never mentioned carbon monoxide if they had the test results that the prosecution kept from them (by accident).

It won't be a big deal though as long as the prosecution doesn't mention the test on the rebuttal. They already had an expert that said "hey, the pulse-oximeter showed that the oxygen concentration was right" which gets you to the same place.

This is pretty much spot on. Dr. Tobin is still going to be able to say it wasn't CO that killed him, and the defense will argue that the pulse-ox measurements has its limits.

SchnorkIes posted:

Why do we all talk like he's not gonna walk free and be on Fox every night

Right now the case presented against him is pretty solid. I will be completely shocked if he walks.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Just don't resist arrest :allears:

Here's one where the police beat up an old lady with dementia to even it out a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deLlROkphCw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

quote:

"Hutchinson police say a 61-year-old man is in custody after allegedly dragging an officer with his vehicle while simultaneously striking him with a hammer following a dispute about face masks at a Menards store."

left a choice quote out