Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

blues thief posted:

He did a really good interview with Richard Herring that was recorded right before covid kicked off proper but aired after lockdown started where Herring was making GBS threads on the idea of streaming games and what a waste it was of Limmy's talent that he wasn't doing any more live shows or TV series (in a "things that actually matter" kind of way) that was bumpered with a post-lockdown fairly contrite Herring asking people to subscribe to his own new Twitch stream.

lol

That is a solid self own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Do something worthwhile like playing snooker against yourself or whatever the gently caress Herring is up to these days

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

sebzilla posted:

Do something worthwhile like playing snooker against yourself or whatever the gently caress Herring is up to these days

He's mostly been talking about his recent testicular cancer diagnosis/ball removal. Which is a step up from picking up rocks I guess.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Lungboy posted:

Does Ross Noble count as a TV comedian? He's pretty down to earth I think but no idea where is politics lie.

E: Sean Lock seems ok too, and from the younger bunch Jon Richardson also seems ok.

Seems like a prick to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCdZuHxmxAs

E: Interesting that now Corbyn's done he said that Labour needed to have a guided descent to the very depths of what was possible, though. Guess Keith was watching that episode.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 14, 2021

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

blues thief posted:

Brooker made a whole bunch of important connections off of the success of Black Mirror and suddenly his biting criticisms of the same sort of people he was now rubbing shoulders with completely disappeared. Not too difficult to explain what happened there.

I believe he explicitly stated this as the reason he stopped his Screen burn column and Screen wipe show:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2010/oct/16/charlie-brooker-leaving-screen-burn

quote:

People sometimes ask if I’ve ever bumped into any of the people I’ve been rude about. Yup. As soon as I started appearing on television myself, I began receiving invites to various industry functions and found myself too curious and big-headed not to attend. Suddenly you’re standing in a room full of people you’ve slagged off in print, and they’re not 2D screen-wraiths any more, but living, breathing, fallible humanoids, many of whom are clutching wine glasses which – should the mood turn sour – would make for fearsome improvised weapons. Once or twice I found myself in conversation with someone I’d been awful about in print, and discovered to my horror that the ruder I’d been, the warmer and more pleasant they appeared to be in the flesh. A black eel of guilt writhed in my skull. Why was I so nasty? These were TV presenters, not war criminals. Well, most of them.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Kevino07 posted:

I believe he explicitly stated this as the reason he stopped his Screen burn column and Screen wipe show:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2010/oct/16/charlie-brooker-leaving-screen-burn

Pathetic.

Either he doesn't have the convictions to defend his own beliefs in person, or he's happy to write things without believing them.

Worse than Tories who say what they mean, imho.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

At least there he seems to be mostly talking about bog standard telly people rather than people genuinely worth going off on one about.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
On the subject on HIGNFY, I still contend that the second Boris Johnson was made PM, the show should have been pulled from the air.

Any arguments that it's "satire" was meaningful and worthwhile was clearly shown as bullshit there and then - with a man who made a name for himself clowning on the show using the increased profile to raise all the way to the top and create a persona that allowed him to shield himself from criticism. It had proven itself as a cancer that had metastasised on this blighted island.

Still annoyed at myself at enjoying it when I was a teenager.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

HIGNFY needs to be put out of its misery, but much of the whole concept of the show is that they give it to all end of the political spectrum. It’s an inherently flawed concept which we’ve gone over a million times in this thread, but it does kind of mean that we shouldn’t really be condemning comedians as being irredeemable monsters because they went on the show and made a weak joke about Corbyn once.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Kevino07 posted:

quote:

People sometimes ask if I’ve ever bumped into any of the people I’ve been rude about. Yup. As soon as I started appearing on television myself, I began receiving invites to various industry functions and found myself too curious and big-headed not to attend. Suddenly you’re standing in a room full of people you’ve slagged off in print, and they’re not 2D screen-wraiths any more, but living, breathing, fallible humanoids, many of whom are clutching wine glasses which – should the mood turn sour – would make for fearsome improvised weapons. Once or twice I found myself in conversation with someone I’d been awful about in print, and discovered to my horror that the ruder I’d been, the warmer and more pleasant they appeared to be in the flesh. A black eel of guilt writhed in my skull. Why was I so nasty? These were TV presenters, not war criminals. Well, most of them.

Definitely met Tony Blair then.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Umbra Dubium posted:

Pathetic.

Either he doesn't have the convictions to defend his own beliefs in person, or he's happy to write things without believing them.

I dunno, it seems pretty normal to write something that starts with a grain of truth but then exaggerate for comic effect and then you meet the person you wrote like that about and find they are a sweetheart and suddenly you feel bad. That's the explicit nature of "the establishment"; it's pretty hard to Monster someone you have positive feelings towards, even if they are some vacuous nobody on TOWIE or Geordie Shore.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Umbra Dubium posted:

Pathetic.

“Beliefs”? He’s talking about when he’d say a TV show was poo poo and then he’d meet an actor from it and then they were nice. Brooker was never particularly a political commentator.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 15, 2021

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Kevino07 posted:

On the subject on HIGNFY, I still contend that the second Boris Johnson was made PM, the show should have been pulled from the air.

Any arguments that it's "satire" was meaningful and worthwhile was clearly shown as bullshit there and then - with a man who made a name for himself clowning on the show using the increased profile to raise all the way to the top and create a persona that allowed him to shield himself from criticism. It had proven itself as a cancer that had metastasised on this blighted island.

Still annoyed at myself at enjoying it when I was a teenager.

it should have been cancelled the moment Angus deaton got sacked in 1973 or whatever

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

WhatEvil posted:

Seems like a prick to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCdZuHxmxAs

E: Interesting that now Corbyn's done he said that Labour needed to have a guided descent to the very depths of what was possible, though. Guess Keith was watching that episode.

Welp, that's him off my christmas card list.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
if I ever meet any of you in person I will bring up your post history and fling myself at you in a murderous rage commensurate with our historic posting beefs. anything less would make me a charlatan hypocrite.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

All the TV comedians came through private schools or Oxbridge unis.

Well there's a couple of different routes - Footlights/Oxford Revue>Edinburgh>own sketch show on BBC2 is still an incredibly well-worn path of course, but that's not normally the path for the people on the panel shows and Live at the Apollo - there the route is the London standup circuit>Edinburgh>whatever dark and satanic things you have to do to get signed by Off The Kerb. Seriously it can't be overstated just how much power OTK have over who gets on any kind of (non-sitcom) comedy show - certainly if you've ever seen someone on a panel show and gone "Who the gently caress is this and why are they so unfunny?" then I will give you a tenner out of my own pocket if they're not an up-and-comer at OTK. It's to the point where I'm fairly sure they don't even bother talent scouting any more and just grab whoever's got the smartest suit out of an open mic and throw them on to the shows knowing they'll basically become a star because of a sheer lack of competition.

This has also completely bent the spine of both the London and Edinburgh standup scene as well - nobody is doing anything that isn't a just-edgy-enough 15 minute set that they can get on to Live at the Apollo with, and Edinburgh shows are basically 4 of these disposable 15s welded together, or someone attempting a live-action Marina Hyde column in the hope of jumping the queue for HIGNFY.

It's a chicken and egg thing though - comics are focusing so hard on getting onto Generic Panel Show #362 because there's no other decent-paying jobs in comedy any more, but this also means clubs (who are having to put up with the loving *ridiculous* amounts you have to pay for space and so are permanently about 3 bad shows from bankruptcy) aren't interested in putting on shows that are anything other than 6 15-minute slots with a loving awful compere, which means audiences aren't interested in anything that falls outside of those parameters, which means TV has no new ideas to steal so put out Generic Panel Show #363, and so on. TBH I'd assume this generation's Comic Strip/Up The Creek acts are actually on Youtube and Tiktok and having their creativity mangled in an entirely different way.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Comrade Fakename posted:

HIGNFY needs to be put out of its misery, but much of the whole concept of the show is that they give it to all end of the political spectrum. It’s an inherently flawed concept which we’ve gone over a million times in this thread, but it does kind of mean that we shouldn’t really be condemning comedians as being irredeemable monsters because they went on the show and made a weak joke about Corbyn once.

I couldn't give a poo poo if they make dumb jokes about corbyn or anyone else, I just want it to actually be an actual funny joke and not just right wing propaganda said with a wry smirk.

I mean the guy finds manhole covers fascinating and spends his off time growing prizewinning veg, there's plenty of material. But no haha he's gonna do a holocaust lol.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

there are only 3 jobs in england: columnist, nonce and drunk

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
im glad i went the way i did i guess

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Sign me up for drunk!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

Mustn't have our councillors saying anything good and correct now.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Pathetic though Labour may be under Keith Sterner, I'm not sure what she could have expected. Given the previous comment about Keith, it feels like she was almost hoping she'd get suspended.

Which: fair enough if so.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Look's like Russia's gearing up to invade Ukraine again and the Ukrainian government has this naive belief that NATO and the West will come to their aid when it happens.

You'd think they'd have learned, after last time.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
NATO will respond to this gratuitous aggression by bombing a random North African country, and the EU will celebrate by breaking out the bayonets and barbed wire for their fleeing children.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

stev posted:

He's mostly been talking about his recent testicular cancer diagnosis/ball removal. Which is a step up from picking up rocks I guess.

Oh wonderful, so we're in line for Glinner 2?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

ThomasPaine posted:

I think limmy might be one of the few successful comedians I genuinely respect. Working class former alkie getting a big break with the BBC is impressive enough, but the fact that he got a few series out then got the gently caress out of dodge with his winnings and dignity intact and now makes what seems to be a very comfortable living playing videogames on the internet hundreds of miles away from the London media circuit is genuinely very cool.

It was my birthday yesterday and the wife got me Limmys autobiography. Up till half 1 reading it and hopefully be able to finish before starting work this morning.

Bias because I'm Scottish but the man's a comic genius. Have his twitch on in the background when I'm WFH and its like game streaming mixed with performance art. Love the guy

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pistol_Pete posted:

Look's like Russia's gearing up to invade Ukraine again and the Ukrainian government has this naive belief that NATO and the West will come to their aid when it happens.

You'd think they'd have learned, after last time.

Russia has deployed troop escalations like this before in recent years, I could be wrong and this does end in their usage but I suspect what's changed is that Biden is president and the old US foreign policy propaganda machine has resumed its old ways of responding to things and is raising tension.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
This is a real biggie, tho: they've massed 80,000 troops on the border (more than the entire British Army lol) along with artillery, tanks, ammo depots, field hospitals etc. If they're just sabre-rattling, it's quite the sabre that they're wielding.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It was my birthday yesterday and the wife got me Limmys autobiography. Up till half 1 reading it and hopefully be able to finish before starting work this morning.

Bias because I'm Scottish but the man's a comic genius. Have his twitch on in the background when I'm WFH and its like game streaming mixed with performance art. Love the guy
I was going to respond to ThomasPaine by saying that Limmy still works for the BBC because he released a show that was unexpectedly perfect for lockdown, but then I looked at the Wiki and he said that making those shows made him suicidal and hes completely given up on them. Does he touch on that in his book?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Gonzo McFee posted:

On a similar note, Robert Webb got confronted on his TERF poo poo and he just shut down.

https://twitter.com/JesseThorn/status/1381974104593473542?s=19

42 min in.

Mitchell and Webb refused to send their audio for the podcast and asked to do the podcast again with the trans stuff cut out. Cowardly wee rats.
Does anybody have more details on what Webb retweeted / what he’s said about Mermaids before? Because absent of more context his response sounds… reasonable? It should be possible to criticise the operating methods of a charity separately from its underlying philosophy, but I’m assuming he’s said things to belie that excuse.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gorn Myson posted:

I was going to respond to ThomasPaine by saying that Limmy still works for the BBC because he released a show that was unexpectedly perfect for lockdown, but then I looked at the Wiki and he said that making those shows made him suicidal and hes completely given up on them. Does he touch on that in his book?

IIRC it's touched on and there's a lot of really honest stuff about his mental health, his experience making Limmy's show and his transition to streaming but it came out before he officially "quit" TV.

It's one of the rare books that I'd recommend in audiobook format if that's your thing. His reading is really good.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

TACD posted:

Does anybody have more details on what Webb retweeted / what he’s said about Mermaids before? Because absent of more context his response sounds… reasonable? It should be possible to criticise the operating methods of a charity separately from its underlying philosophy, but I’m assuming he’s said things to belie that excuse.

https://twitter.com/truesolicitor/status/1382314341257592834?s=19
https://twitter.com/notCursedE/status/1382457892876513281?s=19

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

TACD posted:

Does anybody have more details on what Webb retweeted / what he’s said about Mermaids before?
He retweeted this article (paywalled, idk how to get around the Times one, but the headline sets some dogs barking), and said:

Robert Webb posted:

This won’t make me popular in certain quarters but gently caress it – I’m with Janice and I don’t say it often enough. Also @boodleoops also @bindelj I’ve talked to some really nice trans people here & they have my solidarity if they want it. But Mermaids sucks.

TERFs often sound "reasonable" because they deliberately obscure their prejudice around superficially attractive faux-feminist talking points, they argue in bad faith constantly. This extension is really useful ime, there's been a few times when I've thought "wait why is that person flagged, that sounds completely fair" and then dug deeper and what do you know, it turns out they're just good at keeping the mask from slipping.

Also I don't generally accept "I'm not willing to talk about it because I don't want people to judge me for my opinion", if anyone says that I just assume that they literally eat babies whilst using chemical and biological weapons to do genocide

e: looking at those quotes Venomous posted it sounds like maybe he's just ignorant, "it's actually the concept of gender that is the problem" is one of those statements that's obviously true, and a post-gender society would be awesome, but the big-brains always just go "therefore let's pretend that there's no such thing as gender" which just happens to look exactly like pretending that trans people aren't valid, and in this case he's too dumb to see through the reasonable-sounding arguments of rabid transphobes so platforms & signal boosts them. Maybe him just shutting the gently caress up is actually the best outcome, idk

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Apr 15, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also (as far as we know) there is some biological basis to gender identity, even if there isn't for gender expression or gender roles. And we as a society have done some terrible poo poo in the past to railroad kids into the 'right' identity.

You can't just backtrack that poo poo by saying "I don't even see gender", in the same way that I know there's no such thing as "the black race" but I also know that systemic racism exists and Black lives do in fact matter.

Webb's bullshit is a level beyond just being a 'colour blind' lib and actively into "well if you think about it BLM and KKK are the same thing because they both say that whites have the upper hand in society I'm extremely smart listen to me."

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
Given he's supporting people who call affirmation for trans youth conversion therapy, he's a lot further into the deep end than "you know, gender IS made-up and makes all our lives miserable"

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Robert Webb is clearly yet another guy who has coasted by on being charming and fun and assumes that he's successful because he's clever and therefore entitled to speak up on things he doesn't understand. He's now stood at that crossroad where one path is a statement saying "I'm going to shut up and take some time to listen" and the other is going fully online.

It's also funny how un-self aware he is considering basically every character he has ever done is the one who is over-confident and shitter than he realises against mitchell's character who is just clever enough to be anxious about how poo poo he actually is.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
The dangerous bit is that if this "trans-children-as-conversion-therapy" thing was happening it would be loving awful so on the surface it can sound reasonable, but putting a child who says they're trans on puberty blockers for a few years while they work our their own sense of self and come to terms with their gender identity (whatever that may be) isn't that.

"No son of mine is gonna be gay, lets make you a girl" just doesn't loving happen.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

A problem with stand-up has is it's a very insular. If your trying to make it as a stand-up within a few years; you live in London, your friends are other stand-ups, your big weekly social event is comedians' football, your partner is a stand-up or tv person. And then once you've done a few tours and got your own tv show you've mined all your experience of 'normal life' so you hire your friends who hadn't got tv shows yet to write for you. This is further compounded by the fact to 'get successful' as stand-up in todays landscape you basically make a loss for 2 or 3 years, narrowing down the field to those who weather that.

Up until recently this drove alot of stand-ups attutides towards streamers & youtubers as illegitmate because they hadn't put the 'hard hours in'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Webb literally wrote a memoir about how the pressures of conforming to gender stereotypes hosed him up as a kid. Putting on my armchair psychologist hat and wondering just how much thought he’s probably put into the idea that if he were a teen now, he might be questioning his gender too