Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I'm allergic to wine. Not homemade - something in store-bought wines fucks me up. Preservatives? I dunno. I like wine but I cannot wine.

e: 1965 Cigarette advertising was banned on UK television. Somehow this did not stop anyone smoking.

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

smellmycheese posted:

Stella was marketed here for years as a premium brand. It’s slogan throughout the 80s was “Reassuringly Expensive” lol. Then in the 90s it began to be known as “Wifebeater” and the decline set in

One of the Italian lager brands (Peroni?) supposedly has a rule that you are not allowed to sell it on tap unless it is the most expensive beer you offer.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Dead Goon posted:

I like Proper Job from St. Austell brewery. It is an IPA and tastes like freshly cut grass.

I got given a crate of st austells for my birthday and it had the dark proper job which is possibly the most disgusting thing I have ever tried to drink

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Comrade Fakename posted:

She was definitely in the superior 90s girl band.

I'm not really sure you can call a band she started with her brother a girl band. Kenickie were just a fun pop-punk/power pop group. Certainly light years ahead of the Simon Cowell shite of Spice Girls.

Unlike music I do not hold strong opinions about beer. It's about on par with wine in the sense that if someone offers me some I'll probably say yes but I'm not sure I've ever actually bought any myself.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 15, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Should have gone more out there with the name imo, Cuthbert the Caterpillar and Colin the Caterpillar don't pass the moron in a hurry test.

Edwin the Eruciform, Leopald the Lepidopterous Larva, or Terrance the Trademark Infringement Eat My Whole rear end M&S would have all been much more likely to get away with it.

Asda have Clyde the Caterpillar cake though.

and Waitrose :guillotine: have Cecil

so I don't get why they've picked on Aldi.
I did try to see if Lidl have one, but didn't see any of that sort of party cake on their website.

I expect they're all made in the same factory anyway.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cecil is far closer than any of the others, so I can only assume that Waitrose has a good legal team.

Or the ability to announce "50% off all wine for anyone who defends us" in their little magazine thing and a thousand retired solicitors just appear.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the best beer is delirium tremens :cheersbird:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

radmonger posted:

One of the Italian lager brands (Peroni?) supposedly has a rule that you are not allowed to sell it on tap unless it is the most expensive beer you offer.

wonder if any beer brand has the opposite. i would buy the poo poo out of that

cheap beer is the best, i love it

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

So hilariously they are letting Phil’s long term mistress - who he has spent about the last decade with while ignoring the Queen - attend the funeral

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

kecske posted:

:yeah:

Straffe Hendrik's better but a lot more expensive and harder to find here.

stev fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 15, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

So hilariously they are letting Phil’s long term mistress - who he has spent about the last decade with while ignoring the Queen - attend the funeral

I assume if any real media tried to report on this they would get super-injunctioned into the phantom Zone? Also who cares I suppose, but it is amusing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aparently jeremy vine has annoyed twitter and that is how I learned that the guy who did the "welcome to chilli's" vine apparently died, which is a shame.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

smellmycheese posted:

She was the one who picked him up from hospital when this pic was taken and was very carefully cropped out of every single one of the images that appeared in the British press.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

I assume if any real media tried to report on this they would get super-injunctioned into the phantom Zone? Also who cares I suppose, but it is amusing

There's no reason at all for a superinjunction. Editors just know their place. This is how coverups actually happen - there's no Special Branch bursting in and demanding the negatives, at the very most there's a very, very polite phone call but mostly it's just accepted that there are certain things you don't print.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/LabourDesign/status/1382682507636838400?s=19

loving :lol:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Lol I've just remembered that Knatchbull was the subject of one of my all-time favourite conspiracy theories - that she was actually Diana, who Philip had helped fake her death so that they could continue the affair that was the real reason she and Charles broke up.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol I've just remembered that Knatchbull was the subject of one of my all-time favourite conspiracy theories - that she was actually Diana, who Philip had helped fake her death so that they could continue the affair that was the real reason she and Charles broke up.

I do understand these conspiracy theories because it does seem like the entire aristocracy share about 5 faces.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I do understand these conspiracy theories because it does seem like the entire aristocracy share about 5 chromosomes between them.

ftfy

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

But Change it what to?
And good luck in the Eurovision heats, whoever that is on the cover.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

HopperUK posted:

e: 1965 Cigarette advertising was banned on UK television. Somehow this did not stop anyone smoking.

Which ironically led to one of the greatest eras of creative advertising.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Which ironically led to one of the greatest eras of creative advertising.

"Toasted"

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
What's Armando Ianucci's melt status these days?

Chris Morris is obviously still a good lad.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

"Toasted"
Does "one cigarette in a pack of Lucky Strikes is cannabis" count as a conspiracy theory? Because it sounds like the only conspiracy theory that would actually be put out by the brand itself rather than the "P&G worships satan" ones put out by their competitors.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

kecske posted:

Delirium Tremens Red is incredible.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Dead Goon posted:

Someone posted a Times article earlier and couldn't get past the paywall.

Hey, few pages back but this article has me a little confused. What's the deal? If that is the content of the Mermaids training thing then there is some of it I don't get, though very much coming from a perspective of wanting to learn and very possibly just being kinda behind. If I'm reading it right the implication is that gender identity has zero to do with societal pressures, and while I can see how arguing that it isn't just that (cos then how would trans people exist etc etc), it would also seem to erase the socially constructed nature of gender? Like obviously that article is loving trash by a scum person and I'm sure a ton of that is just out of context but I dunno, it's just not what I expected to read and has surprised me a little. Was I wrong in thinking Mermaids are good or am I just being a foolish goon?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

What's Armando Ianucci's melt status these days?

Chris Morris is obviously still a good lad.

He went pretty hard against Corbyn on Twitter, which was very disappointing. I don't know how you can read The Thick of It as anything but a condemnation of Blairism and a yearning for politics with actual ideology.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Tesseraction posted:

Laverne famously called the Spice Girls Tory scum for backing the Tories in 97.

They did refer to Margaret Thatcher as the first Spice Girl or something and said she had girl power.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Dell_Zincht posted:

Appreciating ales and stouts yet craving a Guinness.....
Isn’t it one of those? I’m really bad at knowing how to classify all these things, same with whiskey. People always talk about beers being ‘hoppy’ but I don’t really know what a hoppy taste is? From the last few pages of chat I gather it’s maybe what I don’t like about IPAs though

Danger - Octopus! posted:

The full range of beers from Bellfield Brewery in Edinburgh is gluten free, and some of them are pretty good. I think they've got pretty wide distribution in the UK and will ship cases across the country if you're into that. Their porter is really nice particularly.

edit: I don't think they do an actual stout currently though :smith:
Oh, this is great, thanks! I’m currently working through a big crate from Wold Top Brewery which was the only one I could find when I really wanted a beer the other week. I’ll try these ones next.

Please post more breweries that do gluten-free beers everyone TIA

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

They did refer to Margaret Thatcher as the first Spice Girl or something and said she had girl power.

Come on, you can't post that without posting this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G6RF5ChKYQ

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

TACD posted:

Isn’t it one of those? I’m really bad at knowing how to classify all these things, same with whiskey. People always talk about beers being ‘hoppy’ but I don’t really know what a hoppy taste is? From the last few pages of chat I gather it’s maybe what I don’t like about IPAs though
Oh, this is great, thanks! I’m currently working through a big crate from Wold Top Brewery which was the only one I could find when I really wanted a beer the other week. I’ll try these ones next.

Please post more breweries that do gluten-free beers everyone TIA

I was gently mocking Guinness for being possibly the worst stout on the market, no matter how popular it is.

People misuse the term hoppy to refer to bitterness. If a beer (particularly an IPA) is described as "hop forward" or "hoppy" then people tend to mean it has a bitter taste to it. This is incorrect. All beer contains hops, if they didn't they would be far too sweet. It's how the hops are used that determine how bitter a beer is. Extra hops added later in the brewing process (known as Double Hopping or Triple Hopping) reduce the bitterness right down and allow the flavours to really come through, for instance.

It took me a long time to get used to the various bitterness levels in modern IPAs, and I still don't really like the single hop West Coast style (little flavour profile and usually quite a harsh bitterness) but I'm a big fan of New England IPAs and Double and Triple IPAs.

Beer is fascinating.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Dell_Zincht posted:

Delirium Tremens Red is incredible.

Nocturnum is the least good delirium but still a solid choice and I'm drinking one now

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

radmonger posted:

Once Fullers decided to start homogenising all their pubs about 6 years ago and get shut of Grolsch out of The Ship in Soho (their best selling lager by far in there) and I had no idea of this, I walked in and asked for a Grolsch. The stand-in 'manager' said 'Peroni! and I said what the gently caress are you on about, given it wasn't even on tap 2 days before when I was last there.
"?? Is the Grolsch off?"
"No, we sell Peroni now, it's a far superior lager!"
"Yeah, see you later" as I went somewhere else. The friend I was meeting missed my call & texts, ended up buying a Peroni in there. For 80p more than the Grolsch was 2 days before.
Moral of the tale being gently caress Fullers and gently caress Peroni, it's Italian Fosters.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Moretti is good

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Question to break up beerchat.

Someone's used my address as their correspondence address following some sort of car crash and now solicitors are sending letters chasing debts following some court judgement. I only figured this out after opening one of the unmarked envelopes.

I've been returning the letters for months but they still keep coming. Is there anything bad that could happen? I've called the solicitor and told them to gently caress off (politely) because that person never lived here.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

lol Knatchbull is still married

Do the royals have something for cucking other nobles because, well, at three generations it's a bit much.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Comrade Fakename posted:

I don't know how you can read The Thick of It as anything but a condemnation of Blairism and a yearning for politics with actual ideology.

Yeah, but not that ideology.

The Guardian etc. seem to want politicians who genuinely believe in not believing anything. That's why they fancied Starmer so much at first, until it became clear that he wasn't even principled in his vacuousness or remotely good at basic politics.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Z the IVth posted:

Someone's used my address as their correspondence address following some sort of car crash and now solicitors are sending letters chasing debts following some court judgement. I only figured this out after opening one of the unmarked envelopes.

I've been returning the letters for months but they still keep coming. Is there anything bad that could happen? I've called the solicitor and told them to gently caress off (politely) because that person never lived here.

No, you've done what you should have done and they cant hold an address liable for debt. At the worst some lovely bailiffs could turn up but even they wont enter a property that a person hasn't ever lived at.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

Just keep returning them with "not a resident" or something like that written on the envelope.

As they've got a judgement they might try to enforce but if a bailiff shows up you just tell them that person has never lived at this address but you keep getting post for them, and tell them to leave.

Which solicitors is it by the way?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Which solicitors is it by the way?
Yeah my first thought was if there might be some SRA breach. Couldn't find anything they could be shopped for though.

At the very least it's phenomenonally incompetent, throwing money at trying to enforce a judgment when they've actually been told that the person doesn't live there. Good advice might be to carry on telling them that, because it's in their best interest to listen & they really should do at some point.

What I'm wondering though is that if they have a judgment against someone supposedly at that address, why the gently caress were none of the court papers sent there. Doesn't make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

kecske posted:

:hai: