Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashardalon125
Apr 14, 2021
Been a long time fan of the game, and this playthrough in particular! In fact, this playthrough is what finally convinced me to get an account here! Super excited for what's coming down the pipe! Keep it up TQ!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm gonna get her! I'm gonna get her!

quote:

...I ain't gonna get her!

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Oh wow, I actually forgot that Chesed switched off when the Red Mist spawned. It's an odd mercy when the game in its usual dickery would be fully expected to throw her at you with 5x damage.

Really, Day 48 is just weird that way. Theoretically you can dodge the Red Mist until Meltdown Level 8 and Chesed turns back on, but there's almost no reason to ever do this. Maybe there's an argument for using your own Chesed-boosted weapons against the Red Mist -- but really, if you beat her the first time (without Shelter cheese), then by virtue of just reaching Day 48 at all you should have no problems just piledriving her on sight.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 14, 2021

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Day 48 is weird in that it's almost easier than Day 47, yeah. Having the victory condition be beating the Red Mist and reaching Meltdown Level 10 whilst fulfilling the energy quota would've made more sense, here.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Arcanuse posted:

Old Lady is probably one of the nicest abnormalities to have, ironically because she's safe to ignore :v:
With all the other abnormalities that need juggling, one where the worst consequence of ignoring is your energy gets dinged makes up for it.

Looking forward to O-05-76.

How dreadful of you to ignore your lonely old grandma.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Shouldn't have called herself lonely if she didn't want to become ignored. That's a self fulfilling prophecy

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Theantero posted:

Day 48 is weird in that it's almost easier than Day 47, yeah. Having the victory condition be beating the Red Mist and reaching Meltdown Level 10 whilst fulfilling the energy quota would've made more sense, here.

Is 49 going to be similar, i.e. "Reach Meltdown level X or defeat An Arbiter", or does it require both (or just the former, which isn't necessarily a mercy since An Arbiter is still there and can't be ignored given what she does even if technically you don't need to beat her)? (This question is kind of rhetorical since obviously people shouldn't actually spoil it and thus I just have to wait for the update, but Theantero's post and it being really obvious that 49 is going to be Binah + Hokma made me start wondering.)

Also, this latest update actually touched on something I had been thinking about recently but wasn't sure I should post about since it seemed questionably relevant (and also the last post in the thread at the time was also mine and I didn't want to double-post). Unfortunately now that it is relevant I'm a bit too tired to actually write a proper post about it. Maybe later, I guess.

Slaan posted:

Shouldn't have called herself lonely if she didn't want to become ignored. That's a self fulfilling prophecy

Possibly literally, depending on the particulars of the nature of abnormalities.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Theantero posted:

I have heard rumors that it used to be that, long ago, and it was quickly nerfed.

I have no confirmation of this in any form, though, and it’s been the current form at least as long as I’ve owned the game.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

if true, I can understand as Re:Red Mist would be nearly impossible to deal with in that state even with her nerfed.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It would also be a pretty huge pain in the rear end in general just because it would basically boil down to "okay you did the hard part, now do this other unrelated thing for like 20 more minutes, and if you screw it up at any point you'll have to redo them both". It's already frustrating enough to have to go through the first part of the day to get to the Red Mist fight which adds a huge lag time to retry attempts, imagine your first time through, finally beating her after a dozen retries, and then getting everyone killed during the dusk/midnight. The thing about LobCorp is that it is a difficult game but it is not typically an overly punishing game - once you've proven that you can do the thing, the game just gives you the reward and allows you to move on. It doesn't typically kick you back and force you to redo a bunch of stuff if you mess up later - even if you do a repository reset or a full day 1 reset, you keep all the progress you've gained on missions/suppressions.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Day 48 Extra + Ending B

To start with, day 48 has a couple of unused lines during its story portion. The first comes right after we open the second door, right after this:

Cut content posted:

My eyes began to soak with red as I realized that hers would never open again.

The second is while Carmen is speaking to us lying in the grass. There's an extra line pair of lines after the ellipses here, before she tells us we'll endure through it:

We humans have weak hearts. One crack and it will easily crumble. I am no exception to this, but you… You’ll endure through it.

Cut content posted:

You’re not the same as the rest of us, right? No matter how cruel this world may get…

Secondly, we haven't seen all of Abram's text for day 48. If we push on after Gebura, he does get new text. I'll put it here:

Level 8 posted:

You will never escape your guilt if you stay that way. You will curse your existence, and every single day will be painful.

Carmen left without a smile, never to come back to nap under the warm sun.

You have to let it all go, you don’t even have the strength to grip onto anything…

The things I’ve let go have drifted too far for me to take up into my hands again.

Why must I be abandoned by the world, alone like this?

Level 9 posted:

Yes, there was only a path of despair in the sky she often looked up to.

Desire is void and meaningless. Can’t you hear it? The doors are closing, and they will not open again.

I’m perfectly fine with my life expiring here and now. Only stigma awaits those who cannot overcome the trial.

It was my duty to protect my coworkers, my friends… but I couldn’t save even a single one of them.

Level 10 posted:

The scene, the air, the pain of that day… It all comes back no matter how many times I try to void it from my mind. Tell me, how do I escape from this?

Do we really deserve to persist in existing? Meanwhile as we step on all those sacrifices?

Let us sleep peacefully… Let us sink and flow to the bottom of the river with Carmen. She must have been lonely for such a long time…

Finally, there's what happens if we lose the day or haven't cleared the Middle Layer's suppressions.

Ending B

Music: Here Together

Seems you finally accepted it. You and I, we’re failures.

This opening is only for failing the questions, of course.

Game Over posted:

......I thought you might have had a different outcome, seeing as you found the answers. Yet even you failed. It must mean that failure is an inevitable cycle for us, then.

As before, this is the only difference in this scene.

Even though we’re failures, we managed to achieve at least one thing. We’ll be able to see… Carmen again like this. Although we can’t take a nap, lying in the field under the warm sun like we used to…

Don’t worry, she’ll understand. She’ll tell you that even though you couldn’t make it to the end, you did a good job getting here at least. You’ll have eternal rest with her. We should have just listened to Benjamin in the first place…

……

Carmen is our sun, so it doesn’t matter if we stay underground forever.

We get a transition into this image, and when we click…

We get sirens and klaxons and a pulsing red tint for the remainder of the scene.

Let us sink now, Carmen. I know you can’t hear my voice… But I don’t care.

I hope that I’m with you when I open my eyes again someday.

Once the screen goes black, we hear a door shutting and then get kicked back to the title screen.

Ending B is much more final than Ending A was. Abram opts to destroy the facility and put a stop to the entire plan in order to atone, and as a result we see our first actual Fourth Trumpet.

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 10, 2021

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

The existence of "kill everyone" button in the HQ is suspicious. It makes sense in branches: for safety and to keep secrets, but for HQ, where all problems should be solved by rewinding, it is unneccesary. Makes me wonder, what is the supposed fate of the facility and employees after A would complete his Seed of Light project?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:ohdear:

:sweatdrop:

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.

What are we supposed to be seeing here?

Oh, Peni-...Penitence.

ShyGuy1231
Jan 7, 2021
A....I think you have depression. You need help.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
He's got a couple bottles of something in that last image, so I think he's medicated at least.

That's how I used to do it, anyhow.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, Carmen seems to be leaning towards Abram in that last image. He says she can't hear him, and given her apparent lack of muscle it's questionable how much she can intentionally move herself anyway, but that makes it look like she can actually sense him and is reacting to him being there. Interesting.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
She's also touching the glass, reaching out to him. :3:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

MiiNiPaa posted:

The existence of "kill everyone" button in the HQ is suspicious. It makes sense in branches: for safety and to keep secrets, but for HQ, where all problems should be solved by rewinding, it is unneccesary. Makes me wonder, what is the supposed fate of the facility and employees after A would complete his Seed of Light project?

If we think in terms of TeeQueue's LP fluff canon, even after X/A slaps the UNDO button and Time Loop Shenanigans happen, the failed facility and its extremely doomed employees explicitly continue to exist (at least from their perspective, briefly before they stop existing).

Given that it supposedly takes a lot of energy to keep the time loop going, it would probably be infeasible to maintain hundreds of thousands of independent abandoned timelines where each of those duplicate instances is no longer generating energy. But for one reason or another the procedure is to kill everyone as often as possible, be it magical time travel corporate contract physics or a safety mechanism or to charge up the TimeCube. Or maybe A is just a powertripping rear end in a top hat boss.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Why wouldn't you have a self-destruct button, given the option? Seems like a not brainer to me; it's its own reward.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

silentsnack posted:

If we think in terms of TeeQueue's LP fluff canon, even after X/A slaps the UNDO button and Time Loop Shenanigans happen, the failed facility and its extremely doomed employees explicitly continue to exist (at least from their perspective, briefly before they stop existing).

Given that it supposedly takes a lot of energy to keep the time loop going, it would probably be infeasible to maintain hundreds of thousands of independent abandoned timelines where each of those duplicate instances is no longer generating energy. But for one reason or another the procedure is to kill everyone as often as possible, be it magical time travel corporate contract physics or a safety mechanism or to charge up the TimeCube. Or maybe A is just a powertripping rear end in a top hat boss.

Also in the interest of preparedness it would make sense for them to have a "nuke it all" button for the simple reason of like, what if they run into a problem that persists through time resets - you've got Plague Doctor -> WhiteNight in-game to already demonstrate that this is possible, so there could hypothetically be some kind of containment breach that even resetting the timeline would not fix.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Dwarf Fortress has taught me that no subterranean hell-base is complete without a self-destruct.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Lunar Suite posted:

She's also touching the glass, reaching out to him. :3:

She's attempting to bang on the glass with her brain/nervous system. What she's really thinking is "You moron, you complete wanker, what the hell have you done?"

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

copy posted:

Dwarf Fortress has taught me that no subterranean hell-base is complete without a self-destruct.

The gold standard, as far as these things go. The only game where I've been able to weaponize Hell into a doomsday device. But magma always work in a pinch, too.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Why wouldn't you have a self-destruct button, given the option? Seems like a not brainer to me; it's its own reward.

Imagine how many times a version of A has just recruited a bunch of people on day 1 and pressed that button for, uh, science. Sure, let's call it science.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Qrr posted:

Imagine how many times a version of A has just recruited a bunch of people on day 1 and pressed that button for, uh, science. Sure, let's call it science.

sighs in irritation

Does this really have to be the first thing every new manager tries? You'd think one of them wouldn't hit the "DON'T PRESS THIS, rear end in a top hat" button at least once, but no.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Materant posted:

sighs in irritation

Does this really have to be the first thing every new manager tries? You'd think one of them wouldn't hit the "DON'T PRESS THIS, rear end in a top hat" button at least once, but no.

Look, I had to find out if that sign said "DON'T PRESS THIS rear end in a top hat". That comma looked drawn on.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
DON'T PRESS?
THIS, rear end in a top hat!

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
DON'T THIS
PRESS rear end in a top hat

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
DONT rear end in a top hat
PRESS THIS?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
THIS DON'T
PRESS, rear end in a top hat

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
PRESS THIS?
DON'T, rear end in a top hat

...wait poo poo that one actually works

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

DON'T rear end
PRESS THIS HOLE

DrKirre
Jun 11, 2014

Am I a mouse dreaming I'm a cat, or a scratching post dreaming I'm a bowl of wet food? Never assume what you see and feel is real!
Mmm... wet food...
Don't hole? THIS rear end? Press.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

THIS HOLE
DON'T PRESS rear end

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Gonna have to give this thread page a 4/10.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

eternaldough posted:

Gonna have to give this thread page a 4/10.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Do Not Touch Willy

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Kitfox88 posted:

Do Not Touch Willy
Good advice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

ok this is getting a bit silly, time to change the subject.