Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
A year ago, there was a drop that used the term “Scott free”. Obviously a reference to the duke of Edinburgh gonna die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

OctaMurk posted:

It was an impressive prediction though. He only died because the adrenochrome got held up in the Suez Canal during a military operation by patriots, which we knew would happen because the ships name, Ever Given, was a reference to Hilary Clinton's Secret Service code name.

*Evergreen, which is also the name of the shipping company

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7EMbVRQb9M

this video of bat deduction makes all the more sense

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Moose-Alini posted:

A year ago, there was a drop that used the term “Scott free”. Obviously a reference to the duke of Edinburgh gonna die.

It actually meant that Scotland voted to leave but England rigged the vote.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I've been following along the Q stuff in morbid fascination for a year now. There is no way that the majority of q people don't believe in the asinine conspiracies they say. They aren't lying, they are that stupid and thanks to the internet/social media they have an echo chamber where their beliefs are reinforced daily.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

They actually do believe this stuff. And the most important point is, the only way you can believe this stuff is because you WANT to believe this stuff.

So gently caress these people. Every single one of them.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

MrMojok posted:

They actually do believe this stuff. And the most important point is, the only way you can believe this stuff is because you WANT to believe this stuff.

So gently caress these people. Every single one of them.

yeah arguments with my qanon person always reminded me that for them it's a deliberate choice to believe it, despite and in spite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. it's absolutely hosed

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It really is. Just the smallest amount of critical thought applied to the whole thing will expose a huge amount of holes, fallacies, and impossibilities.

These people really are determined to believe it, surround themselves (at least virtually) with people that encourage that belief, and years from now many (or most) of them will still be believing it, no matter what happens in real life.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Spinz posted:

I've been following along the Q stuff in morbid fascination for a year now. There is no way that the majority of q people don't believe in the asinine conspiracies they say. They aren't lying, they are that stupid and thanks to the internet/social media they have an echo chamber where their beliefs are reinforced daily.

TBH I don't think this is really true in the way you think it is. A lot of the things that people say they believe are because those are the things that the kind of people they want to be believe, and they are just engaging in tribalism.

I do think that they believe there is some truth to Q and there is some truth to Q. There are paedophiles, remember when Cory Hane talked about it and basically nothing happened? And Trump and Epstein and possibly Clinton were pretty clearly loving underage girls, so powerful men, engaging in a conspiracy to gently caress children.

I doubt if you really pinned them down and talked to them for an hour about adrenochrome they all believe that adrenochrome is literally real. There actually is a sort of deep state as well, there are definitely interested parties among the federal services that believe certain things, the intelligence agencies and defense contractors and lobbyists very much work hand in glove for various things.

Q wouldn't be so succesful if there weren't some corroborating facts and circumstance to weave into the ARG.

And Q people have been taught over the years to loudly and proudly defend their beliefs as "mah rights" and that critical thinking is pussy liberal poo poo, and Trump might as well have been the inventor of the Double Down.

They've also been fed a steady diet of bullshit about how they are a silent majority and the good ones, and there are commies and insurrectionists but not amongst "real americans" for like 60 years now.

So while I do believe they believe there are lots of truths within Q, I doubt they believe that the whole expanded universe is literally true, especially because there are so many sources and contradictory ideas.

It's the same as people who say they are christians but have no interest in reading the bible or even remotely acting like the Word of God is the... Word of God. Like if you believed that the operating manual for the universe was right there, in the King's English, wouldn't you basically read it non-stop to make sure you weren't loving up?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

pseudanonymous posted:

TBH I don't think this is really true in the way you think it is. A lot of the things that people say they believe are because those are the things that the kind of people they want to be believe, and they are just engaging in tribalism.

I doubt if you really pinned them down and talked to them for an hour about adrenochrome they all believe that adrenochrome is literally real.

It's the same as people who say they are christians but have no interest in reading the bible or even remotely acting like the Word of God is the... Word of God. Like if you believed that the operating manual for the universe was right there, in the King's English, wouldn't you basically read it non-stop to make sure you weren't loving up?

You make very good points and describe different ways their beliefs are reinforced eloquently however I disagree. People don't make sense, people are illogical. The majority of people that call themselves Christian do believe the Bible especially the New testament is the word of God. They still don't really bother to follow it as you point out.

Qanon people that post about adenochrome for example believe in it. It doesn't matter if things contradict each other at all to them.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Changing the subject a bit what I have observed is overall the Qanon crowd took a massive hit from Trump losing and the majority of their ire, focus and thus conspiracies are now involved with anti-vaccination.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Spinz posted:

That's also the reason they lose it and only have abuse to fall back on when they get fact checked, it completely blindsides them when someone goes "these secret tunnels under central park could the deep state not find a less public location to build them".

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Spinz posted:

Qanon people that post about adenochrome for example believe in it. It doesn't matter if things contradict each other at all to them.
Nah. If they actually believed that the wealthy and powerful were mainlining the fluids of children harvested under torture they wouldn’t just be sitting on their computer reading funny memes.

It’s a thing so abhorrent that it demands action and in the last four years of this stuff exactly one person has gotten off their rear end to even bother to go check out a publicly accessible area that was widely reported as the center of the issue.

Ergo, they don’t believe it. It’s just words that allow them to be outraged without any actual investment.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Moose-Alini posted:

Scott Free is also the secret identity of superhero Mr. Miracle.

Mr. miracle is published by DC comics.

DC is where the White House is.

This all adds up if your brain is pudding.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

A lot of Q things work their way into the mainstream in insidious ways.

My mom prides herself on being impartial and listening to both sides. I caught her a few times repeating some Q theories, and I think she still believes the Hunter Biden laptop.

To her, both sides have an agenda and "She just likes to see what the other side is thinking" but the furthest left news she is exposed to is NPR, and the brain worms from Rush Limbaugh and Alex Jones stick in her head. She also listens to a lot of weird AM talk radio I've never heard of, and thinks Armstrong and Getty are centrists.

I guess what I am saying is that Q is a spectrum, and Q along with other factors have pushed the center way to the right.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 16, 2021

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Murgos posted:

Nah. If they actually believed that the wealthy and powerful were mainlining the fluids of children harvested under torture they wouldn’t just be sitting on their computer reading funny memes.

It’s a thing so abhorrent that it demands action and in the last four years of this stuff exactly one person has gotten off their rear end to even bother to go check out a publicly accessible area that was widely reported as the center of the issue.

Ergo, they don’t believe it. It’s just words that allow them to be outraged without any actual investment.

Q arose on 4chan/8chan, of course, they believe that all you're supposed to do is Post through it, and sell audiobooks and supplements. Because "Q" and Trump are the ones who are actually implementing the Plan. .Stochastically inducing terrorism: having someone shoot a Gambino boss, derail a train, ram your car, storm DC, shoot National Guardsmen, are all happy coincidences.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Murgos posted:

They absolutely believe it. The reason more of them don’t act is:

1. They think the “good guys” already won

And

2. They’re cowards.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think a large part is there's multiple types of belief.

There's epistemic belief, like "water boils at a lower temperature at higher altitudes" where I can check it out, but a bunch of trustworthy enough people have checked it out and shown their working and proposed reasoning enough that I don't have to hike up to Colorado to believe it, there's survival based belief, like "if I jump in front of that truck I will probably die" where I don't want to test that, and there's social belief, like "God works in mysterious ways" where most culturally religious people aren't young earth creationist biblical literalists, it's more about community and faith and ritual that can be held in parallel with believing actual facts about their surroundings based on observable reality.

Q manages to hit the intersection of all three with "pedophile satanists are coming for your kids with containers of angelic white babies that they eat, Donald J Trump is leading God Jesus' Army to fight them, and here's a bunch of (incredibly dumb and out of context) 'scientific/forensic' looking proof of why it's all real".

Exact same nexus as flat earth and satanic panics and the ills of the world are caused by a small group of (((NWO Zionist Elites))) meeting in a hotel room, and why Qultists react as if you're threatening their survival and their community when you challenge the 'factual' parts as if it were a matter of facts, because it's impossible to believe that poo poo on the rational/factual basis alone.

All that so that they can be the hero of a CYOA and believe there's some sort of plan without having to make any meaningful change in their moral character or apply deductive reasoning to anything they read.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

They absolutely believe it. The reason more of them don’t act is:

1. They think the “good guys” already won

And

2. They’re cowards.

Yeah, I think pseudanonymous had a good take on it also. Having seen a lot and experienced some Q-adjacent stuff, I think the thing that is difficult to grasp is that Qanon followers really do believe in this stuff, but not in the sense that you or I believe the Earth is round and things that are based in evidence. It is a matter of belief as an article of faith. That is why Qanon has drawn people from the evangelical religious right and the new age movement. Both believe in things as a matter of faith, not evidence. There are millions of people who believe every word of the Bible is literal, when anyone can open it up to the very first page and find two factually contradictory creation myths. The details of the Bible don’t matter, it is more of a cargo cult and the Bible is an artifact and thinking critically about it is anathema.

Press someone who is into Qanon or an antivaxxer (both being largely the same things now for this reason), and they might concede that any one point might not be verifiable, but the general truth of the concept is still an article of faith, and they will simply leap to some other idiotic concept to argue over or say that you just don’t understand or are even conspiring against them. It requires a slippery mind. As others have discussed, people end up backing themselves further and further into this bizarre faith-based bullshit because it is difficult to respond to criticism effectively without losing and admitting you were suckered, and that you have been terribly wrong this whole time.

I came to understand BLM because I lived a couple blocks away from the AME church when that stupid bowl cut nazi murdered those people. It wasn’t the murders: it was the fact that absolutely loving nobody there cared that this neo-Nazi had been plotting it and telling people for about a year that he intended to commit murder to start a race war. He targeted a church specifically to kill community leaders and cause the greatest harm, and people knew about this plan all along. But all those stupid loving morons cared about was their fake segregation flag. I concluded that my neighbors were accessories to murder, and I saw for myself extensive police misbehavior during that time. For people who were raised in privilege like myself but did not see that for themselves, it is easier to ignore the difficult details and suggest that the truth is on both sides, even when it is definitely not. The longer you suggest this, the harder it becomes to admit that you have been supporting fascists who, apparently, really do murder black people out of hand. I was once told that even though there was video of a cop planting a taser on an unarmed man’s body, the truth was that there was additional footage on body cams that would surely somehow explain it all and exonerate the cops for shooting an unarmed man and lying. The further you go into the lies, the harder it is to admit that you have been wrong, and thus you back yourself into insanity rather than admit that you have not only been suckered, but a part of the problem.

Qanon hits on a lot of ideas that are actually somewhat true, and that gives it a vague sense of plausibility to many. The rich and powerful really do exploit children; the Clintons (at least Bill) might plausibly be monsters in that fashion. They seem to mostly ignore Epstein being proof positive of an actual conspiracy because it implicates people they want to believe are heroes, like Trump. So they ignore the details that are right in front of their faces and make up new narratives and choose to believe in it not based on fact but on faith, because to engage critically with these ideas would be to admit that they are all tremendous suckers who have been worsening the problem, and that they are the ones who deserve the punishments they claim are being delivered to their enemies in Guantanamo. The extensive projection you see from conservatives and Qanon followers especially is an emotional and mental outlet.

The dissonance between believing all this poo poo but not really acting on it and not really being able to argue any facts or evidence is a major problem, but this is a problem I think Q (or rather, the various people who all acted as Q) intentionally solved by working it into the narrative as it went on: they believe they are winning. Trust the plan. You simply need to follow the movement and be secure in your righteousness and the fact that victory is inevitable. The real core of Qanon that made it persist, I think, is the idea that there is a massive conspiracy, and that there is a massive counter-conspiracy that is already working, which helps to resolve any cognitive dissonance about why few of them act on this knowledge or even feel the need to critically think about it. The extensive work Qanon has put into creating their counter-conspiracy narrative seems pretty novel and important to understanding how this movement could be both stupid as gently caress and incredibly persistent.

tl;dr Qanon followers absolutely believe in it, but it is a matter of almost religious faith, and the way Qanon narrative has evolved is meant, likely on purpose, to make it so. They will argue in bad faith, but they believe in at least some part of it.

Rob Rockley fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 16, 2021

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Morningwoodpecker posted:

That's also the reason they lose it and only have abuse to fall back on when they get fact checked, it completely blindsides them when someone goes "these secret tunnels under central park could the deep state not find a less public location to build them".

The Getty Museum poo poo is truly spectacular in its profoundness of stupidity. Every single thing that is "proof" to an Anon about underground child rape cities located there is just some easily falsifiable thing you can look up or is otherwise incredibly boring and public information. Like, you know, how a child makes poo poo up.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
https://www.msnbc.com/stephanie-ruhle/watch/watch-elite-members-of-u-s-military-share-misinformation-in-secret-facebook-groups-110312517636

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
that just means troops are loving stupid, not that troops are In on It

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Big Hubris posted:

The lead industry spread fluoridation panic,

is this true? do you have anything i can read about this? googole is no help.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

that just means troops are loving stupid, not that troops are In on It

I suspect that this is just one of the downstream consequences of us fighting literally meaningless forever wars. Train up special forces soldiers, make them believe they are fighting evil, send them to the rear end end of the world to prop up a corrupt as hell government that often inflicts crimes on the population as harsh as the enemy does.

Then when the soldiers get back they find out that this war that meant so much to them, consumed their young adult lives, means nothing to America. Nobody gives a gently caress about Afghanistan or Iraq. Must be a pretty destablizing experience.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Murgos posted:

I believe that China is exterminating the Uighurs. I think a lot of people in this thread do too. Ain't nobody here grabbing a gun and running off to save them. I think most people consider the reports that the Trump administration was sterilizing women and taking kids from their families at the border were credible. Again no one did poo poo to stop it. Everyone thinks that if they lived in nazi times they'd be storming Omaha beach or joining up with la resistance, but the reality is the majority of people put their heads down and don't get involved. If something doesn't effect them directly, even if they're 'good' people they're not going to rock the boat and risk their comfy lives for strangers.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Murgos posted:

They did storm the U.S. Capitol building, several other government offices/places counting votes and came quite close to assassinating members of congress on live tv/streams.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Joshlemagne posted:

I believe that China is exterminating the Uighurs. I think a lot of people in this thread do too. Ain't nobody here grabbing a gun and running off to save them. I think most people consider the reports that the Trump administration was sterilizing women and taking kids from their families at the border were credible. Again no one did poo poo to stop it. Everyone thinks that if they lived in nazi times they'd be storming Omaha beach or joining up with la resistance, but the reality is the majority of people put their heads down and don't get involved. If something doesn't effect them directly, even if they're 'good' people they're not going to rock the boat and risk their comfy lives for strangers.

Qanon are not good people though. They are neo Nazi conspiracy theorists who get really down and disappointed every time their prophecies of the storm fail to happen and all of us untermensch get to survive another day.

Never lose sight of the fact that the thing they are looking forward to is a genocidal purge of everyone they dislike.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

They did storm the U.S. Capitol building, several other government offices/places counting votes and came quite close to assassinating members of congress on live tv/streams.

But none of that was to 'save the children'.

That was to save their vision of a white christian ethno-state.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Spinz posted:

Changing the subject a bit what I have observed is overall the Qanon crowd took a massive hit from Trump losing and the majority of their ire, focus and thus conspiracies are now involved with anti-vaccination.

It's so horrifying that the entire conspiracy sphere is sucked into what is still ultimately a pro-republican campaign.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

When the credulous are weaponized by the craven and the sociopathic we get fun stories! That actually hurt people!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The mainstream right media pushing White Replacement Theory and the Migrant Caravan back in '17 got us the Pittsburgh Synagogue and Christchurch Mosque and the El Paso Walmart shootings.

And look who's back.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Murgos posted:

But none of that was to 'save the children'.

That was to save their vision of a white christian ethno-state.

They think it's all the same thing

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Qanon are not good people though. They are neo Nazi conspiracy theorists who get really down and disappointed every time their prophecies of the storm fail to happen and all of us untermensch get to survive another day.

Never lose sight of the fact that the thing they are looking forward to is a genocidal purge of everyone they dislike.

Sure, I was only commenting on the idea that they can't be true believers because they don't all act out on their delusions. I think there's a strong temptation to think of these people as play-acting crazy to accomplish some rational goal. It's much scarier to accept that propaganda works and people's psyches can be twisted to such extremes. I feel like I always felt places like nazi Germany or Stalinist Russia were a bunch of normal people who hated their society and resisted as best they could but were kept down by a powerful elite rulership. But the last few years have shown that the majority probably enthusiastically supported the government even as it was killing them as long as it meant owning the nameless other they accepted as the source of all their problems. Even in America capitalism is so drilled into peoples skulls from birth that they not only accept but vehemently defend terrible poo poo like for-profit healthcare or prisons because they literally can't imagine any other way for a society to be. And the fact that every single person believes that they are too smart and savvy for propaganda to work just makes it that much more effective. Even in this thread people prefer to blame individual stupidity over the powerful interests that push this poo poo to further their own agendas.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
in this case the 'powerful interests' were a sexpat and his son running a lovely unmoderated message board tho

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
https://twitter.com/ehananoki/status/1383419877881303045

Uh oh they got JC.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Gotta love telling Qanon folks that Adrenochrome can be synthesized in a lab. then they read up on it and go "well theyre lying to hide the children stealing!"

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Joshlemagne posted:

Sure, I was only commenting on the idea that they can't be true believers because they don't all act out on their delusions. I think there's a strong temptation to think of these people as play-acting crazy to accomplish some rational goal. It's much scarier to accept that propaganda works and people's psyches can be twisted to such extremes. I feel like I always felt places like nazi Germany or Stalinist Russia were a bunch of normal people who hated their society and resisted as best they could but were kept down by a powerful elite rulership. But the last few years have shown that the majority probably enthusiastically supported the government even as it was killing them as long as it meant owning the nameless other they accepted as the source of all their problems. Even in America capitalism is so drilled into peoples skulls from birth that they not only accept but vehemently defend terrible poo poo like for-profit healthcare or prisons because they literally can't imagine any other way for a society to be. And the fact that every single person believes that they are too smart and savvy for propaganda to work just makes it that much more effective. Even in this thread people prefer to blame individual stupidity over the powerful interests that push this poo poo to further their own agendas.

I think there's an element of lying for the greater good in their minds so the various factions who support different conspiracies don't fall out and they present a united front against the normies. They can't all believe all of it and it's an umbrella conspiracy so there's a lot of contradictory stuff in there. The conspiracy version of lying for Jesus the same way creationists do it.

The good news about people getting weaponized via propaganda by cult leaders who encourage hatred is the suckers return to a more normal frame of mind once the leader is gone. The issue here is their leaders are a nebulous online version of anti-Semitic Nostradamus and a clearly mad ex president who the GOP protected from punishment because that would have meant admitting they'd done a very silly thing by supporting him in the first place.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Gotta love telling Qanon folks that Adrenochrome can be synthesized in a lab. then they read up on it and go "well theyre lying to hide the children stealing!"

Isn’t the entire “get high on adrenochrome” idea based on one not very credible paper from the 1950s? Which Hunter popularized because he needed an obscure drug to use in his books?

Like, it’s not even real that adrenochrome has intoxicating effects?

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Murgos posted:

Isn’t the entire “get high on adrenochrome” idea based on one not very credible paper from the 1950s? Which Hunter popularized because he needed an obscure drug to use in his books?

Like, it’s not even real that adrenochrome has intoxicating effects?

The way it is portrayed in fiction; which does seem to tie back to fear and loathing; is about as real as that stuff from the cartoon cowboy bebop that users sprayed directly onto their eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The high comes from the child murder, adrenochrome is just pretext