Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Chalupa Joe posted:

Unless you're playing fretless, the strings shouldn't be touching the fretboard anyway.

Are you saying beginners shouldn't play fretless guitars?

But also, the strings shouldn't touch the body either, any tonewood effect is from vibrations being transferred to the wood either by touch or just by being close to the vibration. (And personally my main issue with tonewood is that there is no way electric guitars are loud enough to vibrate the solid wood meaningfully.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

...the strings are connected to the neck and the body through the frets and the saddles. Those obviously transmit energy to the guitar because you can feel it vibrate against your chest when you play. That’s how headstock tuners work.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Chalupa Joe posted:

Unless you're playing fretless, the strings shouldn't be touching the fretboard anyway.

Siivola posted:

...the strings are connected to the neck and the body through the frets and the saddles. Those obviously transmit energy to the guitar because you can feel it vibrate against your chest when you play. That’s how headstock tuners work.

This and the fretboard material, or maybe more significantly, whether the fretboard is a separate piece of wood, will contribute to how rigid the neck is and how it vibrates or affects how the strings vibrate.

That said, whether it has a predictable or even noticeable effect on the sound passed through the pickups to the amp is an entirely different question.

I love Isbell, he's a genius songwriter, but he's a notorious gear nerd for all the good and the bad that entails.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

BonHair posted:

(And personally my main issue with tonewood is that there is no way electric guitars are loud enough to vibrate the solid wood meaningfully.)

We don't notice the sound of the body of a lot of guitars because modern pickups tend to be less microphonic, but vintage style pickups that are not as aggressively potted will pick up a lot more body vibrations. It really ends up being like a subtle EQ most of the time, but sometimes it's not subtle at all. There's a reason the best sounding electric guitars sound good unplugged.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I have 2 80s cheapo bolt on guitars, an SG and a Les, probably Korean... both have microphonic pickups and it's great. They sound nice and open and you can "play" your feedback by angling the guitar around. But how would I recreate that with a different guitar? Would anyone make a "good" pickup that's noisy and unpotted?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Chrpno posted:

I have 2 80s cheapo bolt on guitars, an SG and a Les, probably Korean... both have microphonic pickups and it's great. They sound nice and open and you can "play" your feedback by angling the guitar around. But how would I recreate that with a different guitar? Would anyone make a "good" pickup that's noisy and unpotted?

A lot of vintage style PAF pickups tend to be unpotted, or less aggressively potted at least. "open" sounding is exactly right. Aggressively potted pickups are tighter and more focused, but the top end tends to be a bit choked. It's not for every type of music, but if you wanna be super expressive it's tough to beat.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Degaussed and unpotted baybeeee. Slap them in an ES-335 and turn the Plexi all the way up. SHRREEEEEEEEEK

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I wonder if I can get a better price on this it's p sweet:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/msg/d/acton-have-rare-yamaha-bx-bass-will/7295117147.html

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
That's not stupid music poo poo. Headless is the way of the future.

More seriously, I don't think they're a double ball system, so you won't have to pauperize yourself for strings.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Rifter17 posted:

If you have $15k laying around, you can get a Birdfish guitar. The cylinders parallel to the neck are under tension from the neck to the bridge and can be swapped. This is more of a body tone wood replacement though.

what in the name of gently caress

i mean, i get strandbergs, but this looks like slightly understated memphis design

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Lester Shy posted:

I'd love for some genius to come up with a 100% modular guitar so you could do hot-swap tests to see what does and does not matter re: a guitar's sound. A lot of side-by-side comparisons on Youtube are useless because they involve a fresh set of strings, which will inherently have a huge impact on tone.

Oops, originally came to post this :

https://youtu.be/Hbyg0d1njk0

Tim Sway does a lot of fun DIY guitar and bass stuff, and tone wood stuff aside, the modular guitar thing is pretty cool.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

BonHair posted:

Are you saying beginners shouldn't play fretless guitars?

Nobody should play fretless guitars.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

As someone who owns a fretless Agile, I agree. I remember showing it to my guitar instructor in college and he was like, "Does a guitar really need to be harder to play?"

Also the tone is... strange.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's weird, fretless bass is cool, and violins and friends are fine, but not guitars, even if you never play more than two strings at a time. Chords gotta be impossible without frets though. I want a fretless guitar. Even though I never got along with my fretless bass. I'm the guy in the thread title. No, not Vai.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Rock-god.jpg

From this article, which is certainly something:
https://guitar.com/features/opinion-analysis/the-epochal-renaissance-of-the-multi-neck-guitar/

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That looks like Jimmy Page though? :confused:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Chalupa Joe posted:

alright, I'll take the I'm-obviously-self-taught hit and bite: what the gently caress

are you supposed to hold the string down but not all the way down

if that's the case, why aren't the frets taller

just what

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

hexwren posted:

alright, I'll take the I'm-obviously-self-taught hit and bite: what the gently caress

just what

You should be fretting with just enough pressure for the note to come out clean. Your finger really shouldn't touch the fretboard much at all.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

sigher posted:

That looks like Jimmy Page though? :confused:
:thejoke:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

hexwren posted:

just what

Maybe he has scalloped frets.

Gramps posted:

You should be fretting with just enough pressure for the note to come out clean. Your finger really shouldn't touch the fretboard much at all.

This isn't true at all.

sigher fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 16, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

sigher posted:

This isn't true at all.

If you're pushing any harder than it takes to get the note out clean you're wasting energy, straining needlessly, and potentially pushing the note sharp. My fingers seldom touch the board, and my strings almost never do

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Brother, I got that Kung Fu grip and I let that poo poo rip.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I can't believe this was the intended sound when they designed this. I would best describe it as like the sound of a duck eating your rear end when you have terminal diarrhea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0gp-qmjmdg

donut
Feb 4, 2001

I swear that one has been on LA Craigslist for years. I was looking for a bass companion to my SGV-800 for a while a couple years back so I was searching Yamaha Bass pretty regularly and that thing was always there, including the offer of trade.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I can't believe this was the intended sound when they designed this. I would best describe it as like the sound of a duck eating your rear end when you have terminal diarrhea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0gp-qmjmdg

oo this thing rules

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

hexwren posted:

Fretwire comes in various sizes. In the fifties, Gibson advertised the LP Custom as "the fretless wonder" because it had such teeny frets. These days you can also get metal axes with super tall thiccc mega jumbo frets that make Yngwie cry from joy.

Making good contact with the fret is the important part about fingering, the fretboard is there just to keep the frets on. Some people (Yngwie) scoop grooves into it because they feel it gets in the way

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Stop fretting about everything. :colbert:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The string will touch the fretboard if you're not Yngwie. But the vibrating part won't though. I don't know how much it matters honestly, but it seems relevant.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Not necessarily. I can play all of my plain Jane non-scalloped guitars without touching the fingerboard. I have to really focus on using a light touch, but it's totally doable and gets much easier with practice.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Yeah, my LP has big rear end frets and needs a light touch or the notes go waay out of tune. The strings never come near the fretboard.

OTOH I can wring the gently caress outta the neck on my tele and never hit a bum note.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The whole rosewood v maple thing has gotta be at least 90% psychosomatic even if there was a way to quantify the difference, but you'd never have two guitars identical enough save for that one factor to test it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I mean, if your string's not supposed to touch the wood, who gives a gently caress what the neck is made of

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

hexwren posted:

I mean, if your string's not supposed to touch the wood, who gives a gently caress what the neck is made of

some woods are nice to touch, and smell, and look at, and make me feel good for buying them instead of many dozens of burritos.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Despite my earlier posts, I have very deliberately only bought maple necks after actually learning to play and care about instruments. This is entirely because I prefer the feel. I dunno if JEMs come in maple though, when I eventually get one.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

BonHair posted:

Despite my earlier posts, I have very deliberately only bought maple necks after actually learning to play and care about instruments. This is entirely because I prefer the feel. I dunno if JEMs come in maple though, when I eventually get one.

I know at least the floral print ones do.

Some of the early white ones had ebony boards which is somewhat comparable.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Maple looks better who cares :smuggo:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My fretless 5 string bass with maple fretboard looks baller.

After some initial pains, it also plays real nice.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gramps posted:

If you're pushing any harder than it takes to get the note out clean you're wasting energy, straining needlessly, and potentially pushing the note sharp. My fingers seldom touch the board, and my strings almost never do

There's a lot of factors to take into consideration here outside of pressure: barre chords, finger rolls, strings, acoustic electric, if you're muting strings with your left hand so you're 1 finger isn't exactly on it's point, how soft someone's skin is, thumb-over fretting/muting. There's plenty of times where you touch the fretboard.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Wark Say posted:

My fretless 5 string bass with maple fretboard looks baller.

Whoa really? Parts/project instrument? My fretless is a black StingRay 5 with pau ferro* and it’s handsome and all, but I’ve always wondered what I would maybe want to buy/build if lacquered maple fretless was an option I could take seriously.

*For an instrument that was supposedly made by a reputable company, the fact that it wouldn’t set up right without an enormous shim and required quite a bit of radius block sanding to correct the rising tongue, I understand the ‘I like it after a struggle’ energy. At least I can pull the made-25-years-ago and unknown habits of the previous owner cards on mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's a Schecter... I wanna say a Stiletto? That I bought because there was this concern that the bass player from one of my two bands was going to quit. It's all yellow and it's so fun to play, even if I'm still working on my finger-plucking technique.